Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 89
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Re: virtual vs physical keyboards, one of the things that I notice immediately when using an iPhone or iPod Touch is that when you need to use the keyboard, the amount of screen real estate that you have available shrinks dramatically in order to make room for the vkbd. This doesn't happen on the Pre, and it's something subtle that you don't realize you're getting used to until you go back and use a virtual kbd.

    As far as recommendations to the OP, let me throw in my list:

    Advantages of Pre over iPhone:
    • Multitasking - for every app in the catalog or homebrew. No need to rewrite the app to support a limited set of features
    • Notifications rather than popups.
    • Much more open OS - allows for tweaks and tinkers w/out need of approval from on high. One of my favorite tweaks is enabling overclocking of the CPU.
    • The ability to carry a spare battery
    • Touchstone

    Advantages of iPhone over Pre:
    • OS is silky smooth with very little lag
    • Somewhat better battery life
    • A metric ton of apps
    • Microphone API for voice search and voice activated features
    • Rock solid hardware
    • Auto correction
    • Parental controls
    • Compatible accessories are everywhere
    We have auto correction...a customizable one I might add.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    We have auto correction...a customizable one I might add.
    how well does it work? Is it stock or patch?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    how well does it work? Is it stock or patch?
    Yes we have auto correction. But IMHO it's not as polished as on the iPhone. Auto correction on WebOS consists of a pre-set number of words that will automatically get changed to something else. You can get it back to what you actually typed by hitting backspace.

    So we have auto correction, but IMHO it's not as polished as this:



    Hence why I listed it as being better on the iPhone.

    I could also have added that we have cut & paste, too. But again, it's text only, compared to iPhone's text and images. And it's just not as polished as this:



    I wish that I could show you pictures of how autocorrect and copy/paste work on WebOS, but I can't. Autocorrect happens automatically w/no visual cues that it's happeening. And copy/paste requires using hand gestures to really give you the feel.

    Now, of course, these are just my $0.02. There are many things that WebOS does better than iPhone. Just not all of them. IMHO iPhone is better at autocorrect and copy/paste than WebOS.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/13/2010 at 12:41 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4. #64  
    If you really do want to try something different, take the risk and try the Pre+. It seems like a great phone, and if you want a change, then why not? You could always exchange it for something else if it doesn't meet your expectations or you being to miss the iPhone OS. At the of the day, you'll have the phone to make calls, right? lol
  5. melo's Avatar
    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #65  
    To the OP since you have a 3GS you should just wait till next month when OS 4 comes out. Your phone will be able to take advantage of all the new features. It really doesn't makes no sense to spend so much money on a old technology and software that is still in 1.xx

    If your worried about your phone losing value when the new iPhone comes out don't worry iPhones hold thier value very well year after year.
  6. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    Hey guys!

    I'm pretty new to this forum and the world of WebOS and I would just like an honest opinion from some of you. I currently have a 16 GB iPhone 3GS (release date purchase) and have gotten pretty tired of the limitations, non-removable battery, etc. and the release of the Pre Plus on AT&T couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm just not sure if I want to make such a big purchase without researching and such.

    So, I'm considering unlocking my iPhone and selling it to buy a Palm Pre Plus. What advantages are there over the iPhone and honestly, would there be many aspects about Apple's device that I would miss? I'm not entirely sure because I use my device for various emulators, tethering, and Turn-by-turn Navigation, along with other things.

    And another question for those of you familiar with AT&T. I won't be upgrade eligible for awhile being that I purchased the 3GS last June. Would I be able to purchase the Pre for double the price (like with the iPhone) and just extend my contract for two more years, or would I have to pay full retail unsubsidized price?

    Thank you so much in advance!
    Surprised not one person mentioned you will get flash player 10.1 for the pre+, sometime between now and mid 2020.

    Seriously tho, if you are ready to drop 400 bones on a phone.....get the pre+.

    But remain open, perhaps wait about another week, get the pre use it heavily for your 30 day trial period and if you don't like it or it doesn't meet your needs, you can just swap it for the iphone4G or whatever. No harm no foul, good luck and hope the pre works well for you.
  7. #67  
    The Pre is untouchable on 4 major fronts:

    1. Community
    2. Multitasking
    3. Notifications
    4. Synergy
  8. #68  
    It would also appear that most of the hardware flaws present in older Pres have been fixed by now; the Plus series seems very well-built, with every new carrier getting an even 'better' version as Palm keeps tweaking the production process.

    That being said, getting a Pre this summer equates to buying a 3GS or Droid now - a good decision if you can live with specs that will let you do things just fine but lack the Oomph that only a next-generation device will ever provide. iPhone fans get the 4G (which doesn't have 4G) and probably the HD later this summer, Googlers get the Droid Incredible and Evo, and we're going to get a device codenamed C40, but when we're going to get it is anyone's guess.

    It seems, though, that the reason why it's being released later rather than now is less an issue of building it or testing it and more connected to marketing and finding the perfect moment. Nothing like letting Google sell the Evo, and Apple have their 4G conference attended by 65% of all global tech journalists before holding an impromptu event announcing the first Touchstone-enabled Cortex A9 handset with HD resolution and HDMI-out, ending the presentation with "Oh, and we're selling it unlocked effective immediately. Unless you can wait for it to be available in stores the day after tomorrow, we suggest going to our website and placing an order now."
  9. #69  
    Yeah...that'd be a great way to ensure they never sold a Pre Plus on AT&T, the only domestic carrier that would use an unlocked normal GSM device in the first place. Awesome timing there. Maybe they could call it the NexPalm One?
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    Hey guys!

    I'm pretty new to this forum and the world of WebOS and I would just like an honest opinion from some of you. I currently have a 16 GB iPhone 3GS (release date purchase) and have gotten pretty tired of the limitations, non-removable battery, etc. and the release of the Pre Plus on AT&T couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm just not sure if I want to make such a big purchase without researching and such.

    So, I'm considering unlocking my iPhone and selling it to buy a Palm Pre Plus. What advantages are there over the iPhone and honestly, would there be many aspects about Apple's device that I would miss? I'm not entirely sure because I use my device for various emulators, tethering, and Turn-by-turn Navigation, along with other things.

    And another question for those of you familiar with AT&T. I won't be upgrade eligible for awhile being that I purchased the 3GS last June. Would I be able to purchase the Pre for double the price (like with the iPhone) and just extend my contract for two more years, or would I have to pay full retail unsubsidized price?

    Thank you so much in advance!
    Since I am so dissatisfied with the lack of apps on the Pre if I was on the iphone 3GS I don't think could handle moving down to the Pre.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This would be truly AMAZING given that Palm is most recently known announcing availability for the "first half of 2009"
    This is simply not true, and is another example of the "I hate Palm, so I'm going to diss them at every opportunity" nonsense that is way too prevalent on this forum.

    The Pixi was announced in September of last year, and was released approximately 2 months later. At the time it was announced, it was to be available "in time for the holidays". It was released in mid-November.

    Palm, Inc. - Thin Palm Pixi Phone Puts Fast, Intuitive Communication at Fingertips
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This is simply not true, and is another example of the "I hate Palm, so I'm going to diss them at every opportunity" nonsense that is way too prevalent on this forum.

    The Pixi was announced in September of last year, and was released approximately 2 months later. At the time it was announced, it was to be available "in time for the holidays". It was released in mid-November.

    Palm, Inc. - Thin Palm Pixi Phone Puts Fast, Intuitive Communication at Fingertips
    I agree, not to mention that what made the release window for the Sprint Pre so wide and indistinct was that Palm was scrambling to get WebOS to a somewhat shippable state.

    The OS is...well, what it is, for better or worse right now, so Palm certainly COULD execute a move like this. It would just be really, really stupid considering the fate of the last unlocked "superphone" that a mega-corporation tried to execute earlier this year.
  13. #73  
    Here is a link for the copy and paste for the Palm WebOS:

  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    Wow...I'm pretty ****ed off at the anti-Palm fans here giving terrible advice with nothing to back their OPINIONS up.

    OP: I had an iPhone 3G for a year. When the Pre was released I couldn't wait. I bought it on launch day (Sprint) and could not be happier. I will give you the most unbiased talking points that I can seeing as I have had both phones.

    1) The iPhone 3G didn't have a physical keyboard and I HATED that. The accuracy and limitations of the virtual keyboard irritated me. I love Pre's keyboard. It's small and has a learning curve, but once you know how to type on it, it's crazy good.

    2) The iPhone 3G AND 4G cannot multi-task like the Pre/WebOS. No phone can. I honestly hated having to exit out of AIM or another app just to open another.

    3) I'm a huge media guy (as in music and video), and the Pre excels the iPhone in every way. The media player the Pre has is MUCH better than the iPhone's in my opinion. The UI is the big reason.

    4) Gestures are AMAZING! I can't imagine another phone without it. I love the gestures.

    5) Touchscreen accuracy and visual feedback is a Godsend on the Pre coming from the iPhone. The Pre has a nice ripple when you touch the screen and, like I said, the accuracy is so much better.

    6) Ergonomically, the Pre, again, is a Godsend. I HATED HATED HATED (yup, hated) the iPhone's ergonomics. Holding it was a pain in the *** because it was a thin, wide, brick. The Pre has an elegant design that just fits in your hand perfectly. Pick one up and you'll see what I mean.

    7) Call quality (and overall sound quality) on the Pre is an extreme improvement over the iPhone's.

    8) Palm is a great company to be behind. No limitations (essentially), no "jailbreaking" necessary, and at least one update, with vast improvements, every month. This brings me to my next point.

    9) Over the Air Updates are a huge improvement over having to plug the iPhone into the computer to see if there is an update and the update. I also hated the iTunes hassle it put you through with the restoring and all that other crap you had to do through iTunes.

    10) Backup and Synergy. Backup and Synergy are amazing. Automatic backups to an over the air Palm profile is amazing. I can completely reset my phone and everything I had will come back automatically. Synergy is just amazing. I can't justify what Synergy is by talking about it. YouTube it and you'll see.

    11) webOS. It is amazing. Everything is over the air, unlike the iPhone. Oh, and did I mention multi-tasking?

    12) Patches. The homebrew (jailbreak) community is remarkable. There is a patch for absolutely everything to make the phone work the way YOU want it. Talk about personalization. I remember saying when I got my phone, I wish my phone could do this. Then I checked the patches and was just thinking, oh damn it can!

    If you have any more questions, let me know.

    P.S.: People in this thread talk about how the phone is unreliable; well, most people are in this forum to voice their concerns and that's a small percentage of the population of Palm phone owners. I went through 4 iPhones (in a year) and I had used the warranty for a phone before that. I'm on my second Palm Pre.

    The Pre HAS had hardware issues, but they have definitely fixed most of them. The only issue I had was that the power button spring died out. I've been fine since and I've dropped the phone quite a bit.


    - Typed with my Pre
    While all of your points are certainly valid and I agree with most if not all of them, it all becomes moot if the phone is unreliable as a phone. For starters, the percentage of Pre owners is tiny when compared with other smartphones, so even if the actual number of complaints is small (I'm not convinced that it is), it is pretty sizable when you consider the small number of Pres out there.

    People say that the Pre has hardware problems. For the most part, I disagree. If you take care of the phone, you are not going to get usb port cracks, screen cracks, scratches, etc. The Pre is a victim of poorly written software. And yes, WebOS is poorly written, slow, buggy, incomplete, and prone to stability issues and crashing.

    The simple fact is, the vast majority of iPhone users are happy with their iPhone, whereas so many people are returning the Pres that Verizon reps are refusing to recommend them. I used to dismiss those apple people as fan-boys, but my opinion of them changed ever since I had my Pre. On paper, the Pre is miles ahead of the iPhone. In reality, the phone is plagued by so many problems, that people simply can't stand them. For the record, I have not spoken to a single Pre owner who was happy with their phone, myself included. That is why I will not recommend this phone to anybody in it's current state. I am not an anti-palm fan or an Apple fan. I'm just a user who threw $200 down the drain on this sorry excuse for a smartphone. And the reason why I did it was because on paper, it looked like a great device.
    Last edited by sputnik767; 05/13/2010 at 04:37 PM.
  15. emuneee's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    While all of your points are certainly valid and I agree with most if not all of them, it all becomes moot if the phone is unreliable as a phone. For starters, the percentage of Pre owners is tiny when compared with other smartphones, so even if the actual number of complaints is small (I'm not convinced that it is), it is pretty sizable when you consider the small number of Pres out there.

    People say that the Pre has hardware problems. For the most part, I disagree. If you take care of the phone, you are not going to get usb port cracks, screen cracks, scratches, etc. The Pre is a victim of poorly written software. And yes, WebOS is poorly written, slow, buggy, incomplete, and prone to stability issues and crashing.

    The simple fact is, the vast majority of iPhone users are happy with their iPhone, whereas so many people are returning the Pres that Verizon reps are refusing to recommend them. I used to dismiss those apple people as fan-boys, but my opinion of them changed ever since I had my Pre. On paper, the Pre is miles ahead of the iPhone. In reality, the phone is plagued by so many problems, that people simply can't stand them. For the record, I have not spoken to a single Pre owner who was happy with their phone, myself included. That is why I will not recommend this phone to anybody in it's current state. I am not an anti-palm fan or an Apple fan. I'm just a user who threw $200 down the drain on this sorry excuse for a smartphone. And the reason why I did it was because on paper, it looked like a great device.
    This is thee only reason I don't have a Pre Plus yet. I am absolutely sold on WebOS, but I can stand hardware that for the most part is perceived as being average to absolutely terrible/unreliable. I want to give the Pre a chance, but I don't have the time to go back and forth to a store for replacements if the stories of users here are true. At least I know WebOS will be around next year when hopefully they'll have better hardware out.
  16. ashykat's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    #76  
    My plan is to eventually get an iPad then keep on using my pixi plus on the go. I can't and won't recommend android to anyone, even for hardware as sexy as the EVO 4G.

    Honestly, I've had all three gens of iPhones. The first gen, the 3G, and the 3GS. I jailbroke all of them. In my experience, (I can't speak for other AT&T users), AT&T was absolutely horrific when it came to call quality, dropped calls, and customer service. That being said, the iPhone is a great phone. I'm not going to say that it sucks, because if it did there wouldn't be as many of them being used and loved today. They'd be even better if they had a gesture area.

    There is a **** ton of apps for the iPhone, obviously, which is good. But, a ton of those are crap. Like suggested already, look at what apps you use all the time and see if there are good equivalents for you on webOS. I personally believe the quality of some apps to be lacking in comparison with their iPhone counterpart. I still haven't found a twitter client I like as much as Echofon, but I have not tried all of them because I'm unwilling to pay for an app if I can't try it first. There is a real shortage of "lite" apps in webOS. However, I use Spaz now for twitter, and it works well enough for me. I prefer it to TweeFree. I have not found a free google reader app, and like I said I won't shell out money to then find out I hate the app. So, I instead use a free RSS app and just added my feeds to it. Not great, but it works. I miss some of the tech apps like BGR, but engadgets app works great. Facebook for webOS does not have a chat function like the iPhone app does. I never used it much, but sometimes in a pinch it was a good way for me to get a hold of someone. I spent a lot of time on lunch breaks at work and such on my iPhone using apps like FML and TFLN, and again I've found no great counterparts. I had a chance to try out a friends FMLpro for webOS and I hated it. I also wish there was a good doodlejump type app (similar to abduction! for android) as well.

    For me, the benefits of webOS outweigh the cons. I do hope that with HP's backing Palm and webOS will finally get the market they deserve therefore pushing the platform forward. You do get more speed from the iPhone 3GS, and I'm sure that'll be even more so the case when the next iPhone drops. The iPhone does get boring after so long, in a lot of ways the novelty wears off, but it's great at a lot of things too. Specifically media playing. I've been an iTunes user for a while, so for me it's easy to sync with iTunes. Plus there are a ton of accessories out there for iPhone. Docking stations, car kits, etc. There aren't as many solutions for the pre without doing a little bit of your own work. Like people who mount touchstones in their car, etc.

    I loved the iPhones keyboard. I seriously did not have any issues with it. It's miles better than any android virtual keyboard I've used, including swype. However, there is a lot to be said about having a hardware keyboard. I hear that the keyboard coming on the AT&T pre plus is better than the Verizon one, which was already much better than the sprint one. I switched from a pre+ to a pixi+ and am way happier with my keyboard than I was with the pre's.

    All of this being said, I'm not pro or anti either the iPhone or the Pre, but it all depends on what you want to do with it. IMO, the Pre/Pixi is wayyyy better at being a phone than the iPhone. It has the potential to be just as great and/or better than the iPhone at the everything else, but it's not as mature of a platform yet. Plus Palm doesn't have anywhere near the money that Apple does to keep it going.

    I sold all of my iPhone's on Craigslist and you can definitely make money that way, specifically if they are unlocked so people can use them on T-Mobile USA. Right now for an excellent condition 3GS you can make $500-$600 depending on condition and if it's the 16GB or 32GB. I don't think that the price for the phone will be an issue for you since that's how you plan to work it. The full retail price may vary, considering when I went to best buy to look at the original sprint pre, the full retail was like $800. It's around $550 I believe for Verizon, so I would think it would be somewhat close to that for AT&T.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    This is thee only reason I don't have a Pre Plus yet. I am absolutely sold on WebOS, but I can stand hardware that for the most part is perceived as being average to absolutely terrible/unreliable. I want to give the Pre a chance, but I don't have the time to go back and forth to a store for replacements if the stories of users here are true. At least I know WebOS will be around next year when hopefully they'll have better hardware out.
    WebOS had the potential to be the best mobile platform out there. I mean, it has everything, from amazing multitasking to a great homebrew and modification community. But Palm, while they certainly get credit for it's inception, screwed it up royally. I almost wish that Apple or even Microsoft came out with WebOS, instead of Palm.
  18. ashykat's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    I almost wish that Apple or even Microsoft came out with WebOS, instead of Palm.
    I'm glad they didn't. I feel like the mobile world needs some escape from big brother. Apple would've locked it down and kept us from being able to use patches, homebrew apps, etc. Microsoft would've made sure all legacy WinMo apps ran on it and it would crash on us multiple times a day.
  19. #79  
    On the apps front, the PDK/SDK hybrid release will, once it hits, bring a plethora of app ports. The latest PDK will probably help release a bunch more as it is, but that's most likely to be primarily games.

    My Pre+ hardware, by the way, is very solid. The battery cover has some slight creeking when heavily typing on the keyboards, but, considering how thin the device is in that area, I'm not surprised. The AT&T Pre+ probably improves on this feel even further. Oh, and using the touchstone...just no substitute.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    ...
    The simple fact is, the vast majority of iPhone users are happy with their iPhone, whereas so many people are returning the Pres that Verizon reps are refusing to recommend them. ...
    The simple fact ist hat the vast majority of Pre users are happy with their phone, whereas some disgrunteled owners come to this forum and spout anectdotal information about their personal issues causing the causual vistor to be left with a different impression.

    There have been a number of polls on this sites, and others, and every one of them, the vast majority of Pre users are happy with their Pre.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions