Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Oops no. I meant to say I can't believe anyone would find the Pre keyboard more accurate.

The iPhone keyboard is multitudes faster for me, once I realized I didn't need to go back and correct any mistypes. It is extremely rare for me to ever have to correct a word on the iPhone keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    Have you owned an iPhone? The Pre isn't 100% accurate, but the iPhone wasn't a peach to touch either. I remember always getting frustrated because of the inaccuracies. I'm not sure if it's still an issue, but it was when I had the 3G.

The iPod app sucked. The UI was NOT impressive at all and it was just a pain to use. I wonder if there is a side by side comparison on YouTube...I'd do it if I still had it, but I don't.

To each their own right?
    I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch 16GB. At no point did I ever consider the Pre to be as accurate or responsive. No one I have ever seen who has used both devices has thought the Pre screen to be more accurate. It's definitely not as responsive. I mean, this is stuff that's objectively, demonstrably true.

As for someone preferring the Pre music player over an iPod Touch...I'll let that one stand by itself. To each their own, indeed. You might have an exclusive on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Oops no. I meant to say I can't believe anyone would find the Pre keyboard more accurate.

The iPhone keyboard is multitudes faster for me, once I realized I didn't need to go back and correct any mistypes. It is extremely rare for me to ever have to correct a word on the iPhone keyboard.
    I disagree with you there. While I haven't used the pre keyboard for an extensive amount of time, the virtual keyboard is a pain. Yes the auto correct is awesome, but there are many times where a key press won't register or I accidently tap a button and the auto correct is useless then. And ad good as the auto correct, it's not perfect and can give you a word you don't want. At least with a real keyboard I know which button I pressed and which one I haven't. What would be perfect is a physical keyboard with the iPhones auto correct and htc multiple word options(where as you type a word several words appear and you can pick the one you want)
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I have a 2nd gen iPod Touch 16GB. At no point did I ever consider the Pre to be as accurate or responsive. No one I have ever seen who has used both devices has thought the Pre screen to be more accurate. It's definitely not as responsive. I mean, this is stuff that's objectively, demonstrably true.

As for someone preferring the Pre music player over an iPod Touch...I'll let that one stand by itself. To each their own, indeed. You might have an exclusive on that one.
    I really can't believe those tests. I have seen where a human does it and gets a better score on one over the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I disagree with you there. While I haven't used the pre keyboard for an extensive amount of time, the virtual keyboard is a pain. Yes the auto correct is awesome, but there are many times where a key press won't register or I accidently tap a button and the auto correct is useless then. And ad good as the auto correct, it's not perfect and can give you a word you don't want. At least with a real keyboard I know which button I pressed and which one I haven't. What would be perfect is a physical keyboard with the iPhones auto correct and htc multiple word options(where as you type a word several words appear and you can pick the one you want)
    Well, i have to disagree with you Fernandez. I have used both, and with auto correct, my typing is about 95% accurate. Its extremely, extremely rare for me to have misspellings or anything on the VKB.

With the pre keyboard, I am ALWAYS backing up to correct - I'd say I drop to about 60% accuracy - and that is before I take into account the double entries that don't have anything to do with my accuracy, but with the software (hardware?)

I think people who have only used the iphone vkb once or twice find it hard to key the right letters - its only after they have used it for a while, that they realize they don't need to.

The auto correct is *outstanding*.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I really can't believe those tests. I have seen where a human does it and gets a better score on one over the other.
    Kinda why they tested it with a regular finger and a robot appendage. iPhone finished number one in both cases.
    The only drawback going from Iphone 3GS to Palm PRE is that Iphone 3GS would seem faster in most task, PRE does not have the same number of apps. For the most part I found some app to do the tasks I wanted. I moved from an Iphone 3G so speed difference was not there.

Battery life is also shorter than an Iphone 3GS but I upgraded to 2600 mAH battery and have been pretty happy.
    Global Posts
    658 Global Posts
    I don't know if anyone has answered your concerns on #'s 7 and 8 below. If not, let me take a gander...

Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    Will be switching away from a nearly 2 year old iPhone 3G. I played around with the Verizon Pre+ to get acquainted with WebOS while waiting for ATT to release it. In the 15 mins I tested it out, I'm sold on the GUI.

As for apps, that is my main concern. I do not want 100k apps....I need only a few. So I been searching the Web to make sure the Pre+ has what I need to transition over from the iPhone. The functionality I need (be it Native or via Apps):

1) Exchange support - Native - check.
    2) Yahoo Messenger - Unable to confirm if Native on AT&T? If native, does it use the data plan (it better) versus via SMS (HOPE not)? If not, hope the mobile site works.
    3) Facebook - App - check.
    4) Twitter - App - check
    4) RSS reader - App - check.
    5) Yelp - App - check.
    6) Sunday Ticket - App - check.
    7) Some kind of Ping / Whatsapp messenger to communicate with wife's iPhone - Unable to verify yet - We do not want to pay for Texting plan.
    8) Some kind of Texting app - Unable to verify yet - again do not want to pay for Texting plan.

I believe that's it...anything more is cake. If anybody can correct or verify any of my above items, I would definitely appreciate it!

The only real show stopper preventing me from making the leap to the Pre+ is Exchange (need for work)....since that's not a problem, then I should be a proud owner sometime next week.
    How about the Google voice mobile page? Unfortunately, there's no native GV support, or a working GV app (to the extent that I would pay or install it--I don't like the options out there) like Android has. I would suggest trying out the GV mobile page on your iphone and see if that's doable for you to ascertain if you can fulfill #7 and 8 with that solution.

In terms of EAS support for work, I have to say it is the one feature I will miss the most about webOS. I have two EAS accounts, one for work (EMC), one for the business partner that we have a joint project with (MSFT). Then I have a personal email (gmail), and another work account (Google apps from my wife's company). I can't imagine any other phone platform out there that would federate all these email accounts into a single view--BB OS, IphoneOS, Android, etc... can't manage all multiple google and EAS accounts in the seamless fashion that webOS does.

However, after I get my Evo, I'll let you know if this is enough of a deal-breaker for me to go back to the Pre.

Cheers.

Sorry to sound like I'm nitpicking, but that doesn't show the accuracy of the keyboard, it shows the quality of the spell checker. That may be a good thing, but it is a difference.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to this forum and the world of WebOS and I would just like an honest opinion from some of you. I currently have a 16 GB iPhone 3GS (release date purchase) and have gotten pretty tired of the limitations, non-removable battery, etc. and the release of the Pre Plus on AT&T couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm just not sure if I want to make such a big purchase without researching and such.

So, I'm considering unlocking my iPhone and selling it to buy a Palm Pre Plus. What advantages are there over the iPhone and honestly, would there be many aspects about Apple's device that I would miss? I'm not entirely sure because I use my device for various emulators, tethering, and Turn-by-turn Navigation, along with other things.

And another question for those of you familiar with AT&T. I won't be upgrade eligible for awhile being that I purchased the 3GS last June. Would I be able to purchase the Pre for double the price (like with the iPhone) and just extend my contract for two more years, or would I have to pay full retail unsubsidized price?

Thank you so much in advance!
    I would recommend the Pre+ for all the reasons other have provided but at the end of the day its hard to recommend paying $400 for it, its simply not worth it, no phone is in IMO.

If you want to wait until you are upgrade eligible then my preference would be the Pre+. That been said every year, iPhone owners go nuts when AT&T actually trys to hold them to their contract in regards to upgrading after 22 months. In the end AT&T always relents and allows iPhone buyers to upgrade to the new iPhone earlier than they normally would - 18 months. At the end of the year then you should be "iPhone upgrade eligible" and able to acquire the new iPhone for $200.

I'm not a fan of the iPhone's locked down nature and I personally find the UI very stale now. I prefer the fluidity of the UI on the Pre and the manner in which multi-tasking is presented when compared to iPhone OS v4. I tend to agree with the other positives of the Pre others have noted here too. However, in the end the timing of your upgrade eligibility is key here.

My Recommendation:
    If you purchase a new device before you are eligible to buy any phone but are eligible for an iPhone upgrade (AT&T have allowed iPhone upgrades earlier than usual in the past), then buy the iPhone HD. The Pre+ IMO is a better phone but it is not worth $400 which you would have to pay since you would not be eligible to upgrade to any phone. The iPhone HD is worth $200 - assuming you wait until you are "iPhone upgrade eligible".

If you purchase when you are eligible for any new phone then buy the Pre+, or by then more than likely the next gen Palm device.

If you simply absolutely 100% have to purchase a new device now, even before you are "iPhone upgrade eligible" and don't mind paying $400, then I would buy the Pre+ over the iPhone HD (that's just me though).
    Last edited by solarus; 05/12/2010 at 03:28 PM.

I think people who have only used the iphone vkb once or twice find it hard to key the right letters - its only after they have used it for a while, that they realize they don't need to.

The auto correct is *outstanding*.
    I have had my iPhone since launch (7/2008) and Im still having problems with it. I do agree that the auto correct is outstanding, but to me any way, the vk I a pain to use.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by npark View Post
    I don't know if anyone has answered your concerns on #'s 7 and 8 below. If not, let me take a gander...

How about the Google voice mobile page? Unfortunately, there's no native GV support, or a working GV app (to the extent that I would pay or install it--I don't like the options out there) like Android has. I would suggest trying out the GV mobile page on your iphone and see if that's doable for you to ascertain if you can fulfill #7 and 8 with that solution.

In terms of EAS support for work, I have to say it is the one feature I will miss the most about webOS. I have two EAS accounts, one for work (EMC), one for the business partner that we have a joint project with (MSFT). Then I have a personal email (gmail), and another work account (Google apps from my wife's company). I can't imagine any other phone platform out there that would federate all these email accounts into a single view--BB OS, IphoneOS, Android, etc... can't manage all multiple google and EAS accounts in the seamless fashion that webOS does.

However, after I get my Evo, I'll let you know if this is enough of a deal-breaker for me to go back to the Pre.

Cheers.
    No doubt GV would solve my concerns...however I've been waiting nearly a year for an invite from them....you have any spares?

But thanks for the feedback on EAS. That's good to hear as that is the most important feature that I need for work.
    I would wait until a new WebOS device comes out before you drop money on the hardware. I love the software, but just found a crack on my Pre. This is the SECOND ONE to crack on me; and no, I didn't drop it. So now I'm gonna have to plead with support to give me Pre number 3. I'm completely unimpressed with the hardware. Additionally, having to slide it open every time I want to type is a hassle. I'd rather have a Pixi at this point, regardless of the smaller screen and slower processor.

I DO want to reiterate that I love the software. Gestures, multitasking and notifications are great. Since I have an iPod touch I know both browsers; while I do miss SOME abilities, like double tapping to return to top, the WebOS browser is excellent.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smackswell View Post

I DO want to reiterate that I love the software. Gestures, multitasking and notifications are great. Since I have an iPod touch I know both browsers; while I do miss SOME abilities, like double tapping to return to top, the WebOS browser is excellent.
    Lemme touch on this, I too have an iPod Touch and will have to admit the browser on iPhone software is much better than webos. It might have more to do with the screensize than software. I notice that I don't have to pinch zoom as much, double tap scroll here and there just to read one sentence.

Basically browsing on iPhone software is much easier and better than on webos. And yes I really miss just touching the top of the screen for rapid scroll to the top.
    For those of you that say wait for the next new thing just means keep waiting for the next new thing. The OP question was pretty specific to the iphone vs pre. The pre is brand new to Att. When Palm releases the next new thing, how long until it gets to Att?

I'm on the fence right now for Pre or iPhone with Att. So I say get the Pre. 30 days later either you'll be in love or you can go back to the iphone you have and the 4Gen iPhone will be that much closer.
  16.    #56  
    Alright, I have another question then. Currently, AT&T offers a partial upgrade for the iPhone which lets me buy it, even though I am currently NOT upgrade eligible, and pay $400 with a two year extension. Not the $600 no commitment payment, and not the upgrade-eligibility/new plan $200 payment. Its right in between since I would still be increasing my contract, but am not upgrade eligible.

My question is if I will be able to take the middle semi-upgrade eligible pricing with the Pre. It really doesn't matter how much I spend since I will just be selling my iPhone unlocked to pay for the Pre. I could pretty much do anything under $500.

If I am unable to do that semi-upgrade thing for the Pre, how much does a Pre Plus cost at its no commitment price?
    Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    Will be switching away from a nearly 2 year old iPhone 3G. I played around with the Verizon Pre+ to get acquainted with WebOS while waiting for ATT to release it. In the 15 mins I tested it out, I'm sold on the GUI.

As for apps, that is my main concern. I do not want 100k apps....I need only a few. So I been searching the Web to make sure the Pre+ has what I need to transition over from the iPhone. The functionality I need (be it Native or via Apps):

1) Exchange support - Native - check.
    2) Yahoo Messenger - Unable to confirm if Native on AT&T? If native, does it use the data plan (it better) versus via SMS (HOPE not)? If not, hope the mobile site works.
    3) Facebook - App - check.
    4) Twitter - App - check
    4) RSS reader - App - check.
    5) Yelp - App - check.
    6) Sunday Ticket - App - check.
    7) Some kind of Ping / Whatsapp messenger to communicate with wife's iPhone - Unable to verify yet - We do not want to pay for Texting plan.
    8) Some kind of Texting app - Unable to verify yet - again do not want to pay for Texting plan.

I believe that's it...anything more is cake. If anybody can correct or verify any of my above items, I would definitely appreciate it!

The only real show stopper preventing me from making the leap to the Pre+ is Exchange (need for work)....since that's not a problem, then I should be a proud owner sometime next week.

if you use the messaging app and have anything besides text (fb chat, gtalk, aim, yahoo...) selected, then it uses data. i've often turned off the phone radio and just left on wifi at home because i didn't want to be bothered by calls, and IMed with people all night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    This is the problem I'm seeing with people. They're not seeing the bigger picture, no doubt the gui surpasses anything out there but the software itself needs work . You say you dont need 100k apps now but you will definitely be wishing you had not said that when you encounter subpar apps and lack thereof. The same apps that you didn't pay a dime for on your iPhone will now be $7 in the app catalog.
    not with the things listed by the op they will be getting good quality apps.

I don't know where the law of diminishing returns on app catalog numbers falls for most people. But that gap is closing for me, and it appears, from the op's list it's already closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Lemme touch on this, I too have an iPod Touch and will have to admit the browser on iPhone software is much better than webos. It might have more to do with the screensize than software. I notice that I don't have to pinch zoom as much, double tap scroll here and there just to read one sentence.

Basically browsing on iPhone software is much easier and better than on webos. And yes I really miss just touching the top of the screen for rapid scroll to the top.
    I have a touch, and disagree with your assesment.
    but that may be secondary to my eyesight. Given equal pixel count, I can do just as well on a pre as a touch reading a given swath of text.
    Re: virtual vs physical keyboards, one of the things that I notice immediately when using an iPhone or iPod Touch is that when you need to use the keyboard, the amount of screen real estate that you have available shrinks dramatically in order to make room for the vkbd. This doesn't happen on the Pre, and it's something subtle that you don't realize you're getting used to until you go back and use a virtual kbd.

As far as recommendations to the OP, let me throw in my list:

Advantages of Pre over iPhone:
    • Multitasking - for every app in the catalog or homebrew. No need to rewrite the app to support a limited set of features
    • Notifications rather than popups.
    • Much more open OS - allows for tweaks and tinkers w/out need of approval from on high. One of my favorite tweaks is enabling overclocking of the CPU.
    • The ability to carry a spare battery
    • Touchstone

Advantages of iPhone over Pre:
    • OS is silky smooth with very little lag
    • Somewhat better battery life
    • A metric ton of apps
    • Microphone API for voice search and voice activated features
    • Rock solid hardware
    • Auto correction
    • Parental controls
    • Compatible accessories are everywhere
    Twitter: dullgeek