Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The fact of the matter for both the OP and iPilot is that they have had the iPhone experience for awhile now, and they're tired of it.

Completely understandable. I wouldn't wave you away from the Pre Plus, per se, but as I said...you may want to wait just a smidgen to see what's coming down the pike. I just don't see the point in buying a Pre almost a year after launch. I mean, if it was a matter of it being super cheap because it was approaching EOL...I could understand. But it's middle-aged tech launching at new tech price. I wouldn't want to buy a 3GS or Droid at that price either when the next iPhone and Incredible are either here or just around the corner.

See what Palm has just around the corner, then make up your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Another thing I'd suggest, look at the previous posts of those whose advice you are taking to heart. There are some serious fans and anti-fans on here that are giving advice that might not be as unbiased as they appear.
    NO ONE here is unbiased. No one here even appears so. Who would come to a Pre enthusiast board looking for an objective perspective?
    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to this forum and the world of WebOS and I would just like an honest opinion from some of you. I currently have a 16 GB iPhone 3GS (release date purchase) and have gotten pretty tired of the limitations, non-removable battery, etc. and the release of the Pre Plus on AT&T couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm just not sure if I want to make such a big purchase without researching and such.

So, I'm considering unlocking my iPhone and selling it to buy a Palm Pre Plus. What advantages are there over the iPhone and honestly, would there be many aspects about Apple's device that I would miss? I'm not entirely sure because I use my device for various emulators, tethering, and Turn-by-turn Navigation, along with other things.

And another question for those of you familiar with AT&T. I won't be upgrade eligible for awhile being that I purchased the 3GS last June. Would I be able to purchase the Pre for double the price (like with the iPhone) and just extend my contract for two more years, or would I have to pay full retail unsubsidized price?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Keep the iPhone. While the Pre is better than the iPhone in many if not most ways, all of the reliability issues that many users, including myself experience make it impossible for me to recommend it to anybody. IMO, you should live with Apple's limitations, given that the iPhone is a reliable device.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I don't think they are leaving ATT so waiting for the next Palm phone to hit ATT would be a long wait. Otherwise, the iphone hd is coming soonish but we already know what the os and hardware will likely be and if that's not as interesting to you as a webos, then don't bother waiting.

If this was a pre, I'd say wait, but I could live with a pre+. I think that ram makes a big difference by not limiting the power of webos so much. Just leave your favorite apps open and not worry about ram (but still manage your battery). And webos gets an update every 2 months so your phone gets better throughout your time with it. Granted the $150 is high but you are getting a free touchstone which is $70 retail and it increases the user experience factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
    Keep the iPhone. While the Pre is better than the iPhone in many if not most ways, all of the reliability issues that many users, including myself experience make it impossible for me to recommend it to anybody. IMO, you should live with Apple's limitations, given that the iPhone is a reliable device.
    Give me a break. I use my Pre for business and personal use and have no issues.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I don't think they are leaving ATT so waiting for the next Palm phone to hit ATT would be a long wait. Otherwise, the iphone hd is coming soonish but we already know what the os and hardware will likely be and if that's not as interesting to you as a webos, then don't bother waiting.

If this was a pre, I'd say wait, but I could live with a pre+. I think that ram makes a big difference by not limiting the power of webos so much. Just leave your favorite apps open and not worry about ram (but still manage your battery). And webos gets an update every 2 months so your phone gets better throughout your time with it. Granted the $150 is high but you are getting a free touchstone which is $70 retail and it increases the user experience factor.
    If you (the proverbial you) are such a mark for WebOS that you will take it on older hardware that has had build quality issues across two carriers and counting, you should snap up the Pre Plus on day one, 9:01AM. In fact, why would you have created this thread in the first place? You know what you are going to do already.

If you really want to be thoughtful and careful about your next purchase, I think it's a sketchy idea to buy any middle-aged-to-old-aged device at new device prices, upgrades or not. Especially on hardware with varied and persistent build quality issues that Palm has -as of yet - been unable to solve.
    I went from an iPhone to a BB9700 a few months ago and do not regret it at all. Now I'm looking to get a Pre+ soon. The BB does everything I want (except web browsing because it blows). I thought I was gonna miss the big screen and apps but it has not been an issue. I think the Pre+ should hold me over until the Pre+2 is out or whatever. It'll give me the elegant UI that I feel makes me more productive, and also the great multitasking.

I've played with it in the stores for a good amount and I'm sold. I am worried about build qualities as I've seen many threads about it but I'm not as picky as some.

Like others said, think about what you need and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    NO ONE here is unbiased. No one here even appears so. Who would come to a Pre enthusiast board looking for an objective perspective?
    That's why I used the modifier "as". Everything is relative of course. However, looking at the history of a person says something of their mindset. In other words, finding someone on a Pre site that says "You should stick with an iPhone" might sound like someone giving sound advice, unless one looks at their history and sees that they're actually an iPhone user that came to troll.

The same is true of the other extreme as well. If a person has a record of telling everyone they need to switch the Pre, then their opinion that the OP should as well wouldn't hold much weight.

That was the purpose of my "warning".
  9.    #29  
    Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate your opinions.

I think I might wait to see how the 4th gen iPhone turns out, but from the Gizmodo breakdown, nothing looks too exciting to me, especially since that A4 will probably be underclocked...

The addition of a free Touchstone is kind of enticing to make me purchase the phone soon, but I'm still a little unsure. My main decision is whether I should wait to see another WebOS device or if I should just get the Pre Plus. Since AT&T is only just getting the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus soon, it doesn't seem like they will be getting new WebOS devices anytime soon.

The iPhone HD just doesn't seem too exciting to me at this point. I don't want any flaming or anything, I'm just looking for a bit more information before I make a final decision.

Also mind that I will be reselling my 3GS unlocked to pay for whatever device I get. Chances are if I wait until the new iPhone announcement, I won't be able to get as much money from Craigslist, eBay, or a similar site.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Give me a break. I use my Pre for business and personal use and have no issues.
    Unfortunately, there are those that think their issues are everyone's issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoNeko View Post
    The addition of a free Touchstone is kind of enticing to make me purchase the phone soon, but I'm still a little unsure. My main decision is whether I should wait to see another WebOS device or if I should just get the Pre Plus. Since AT&T is only just getting the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus soon, it doesn't seem like they will be getting new WebOS devices anytime soon.
    There's no current promise of a new WebOS phone, though there is rampant speculation, and (in my opinion) that speculation is warranted.

That said, since you won't be signing a new contract, you'd probably be eligible for whatever device comes out about the time they're getting the initial wrinkles ironed out.
    I am a Palm apologist and webOS lover. My wife complains about her phone all the time and I constantly defend Palm. Today her touchscreen went out, and I am done apologizing and defending. I am on my second and she will be on her third soon. Do not waste money and time on palm devices, go Iphone. Hopefully HP can repair the garbage that palm has put out. WebOS is cool, but not worth the aggravation...
    Wow...I'm pretty ****ed off at the anti-Palm fans here giving terrible advice with nothing to back their OPINIONS up.

OP: I had an iPhone 3G for a year. When the Pre was released I couldn't wait. I bought it on launch day (Sprint) and could not be happier. I will give you the most unbiased talking points that I can seeing as I have had both phones.

1) The iPhone 3G didn't have a physical keyboard and I HATED that. The accuracy and limitations of the virtual keyboard irritated me. I love Pre's keyboard. It's small and has a learning curve, but once you know how to type on it, it's crazy good.

2) The iPhone 3G AND 4G cannot multi-task like the Pre/WebOS. No phone can. I honestly hated having to exit out of AIM or another app just to open another.

3) I'm a huge media guy (as in music and video), and the Pre excels the iPhone in every way. The media player the Pre has is MUCH better than the iPhone's in my opinion. The UI is the big reason.

4) Gestures are AMAZING! I can't imagine another phone without it. I love the gestures.

5) Touchscreen accuracy and visual feedback is a Godsend on the Pre coming from the iPhone. The Pre has a nice ripple when you touch the screen and, like I said, the accuracy is so much better.

6) Ergonomically, the Pre, again, is a Godsend. I HATED HATED HATED (yup, hated) the iPhone's ergonomics. Holding it was a pain in the *** because it was a thin, wide, brick. The Pre has an elegant design that just fits in your hand perfectly. Pick one up and you'll see what I mean.

7) Call quality (and overall sound quality) on the Pre is an extreme improvement over the iPhone's.

8) Palm is a great company to be behind. No limitations (essentially), no "jailbreaking" necessary, and at least one update, with vast improvements, every month. This brings me to my next point.

9) Over the Air Updates are a huge improvement over having to plug the iPhone into the computer to see if there is an update and the update. I also hated the iTunes hassle it put you through with the restoring and all that other crap you had to do through iTunes.

10) Backup and Synergy. Backup and Synergy are amazing. Automatic backups to an over the air Palm profile is amazing. I can completely reset my phone and everything I had will come back automatically. Synergy is just amazing. I can't justify what Synergy is by talking about it. YouTube it and you'll see.

11) webOS. It is amazing. Everything is over the air, unlike the iPhone. Oh, and did I mention multi-tasking?

12) Patches. The homebrew (jailbreak) community is remarkable. There is a patch for absolutely everything to make the phone work the way YOU want it. Talk about personalization. I remember saying when I got my phone, I wish my phone could do this. Then I checked the patches and was just thinking, oh damn it can!

If you have any more questions, let me know.

P.S.: People in this thread talk about how the phone is unreliable; well, most people are in this forum to voice their concerns and that's a small percentage of the population of Palm phone owners. I went through 4 iPhones (in a year) and I had used the warranty for a phone before that. I'm on my second Palm Pre.

The Pre HAS had hardware issues, but they have definitely fixed most of them. The only issue I had was that the power button spring died out. I've been fine since and I've dropped the phone quite a bit.

- Typed with my Pre
    Last edited by Reign25; 05/12/2010 at 01:46 PM.
    My pre is sitting at home getting ready to setup. Once I play around with it I can let you know.

Leke do you even like the Pre? (Your posts seem to be against the phone, I agree with some of your concerns, but if it's that bad then switch)
    Reign25, you truly believe the Pre has a better media player than the iPod app on iPhone, and that it has a more accurate touchscreen? Ok, buddy.

I agree with some of your points, but you got some nigh indefensible whoppers there, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Reign25, you truly believe the Pre has a better media player than the iPod app on iPhone, and that it has a more accurate touchscreen? Ok, buddy.

I agree with some of your points, but you got some nigh indefensible whoppers there, sir.
    Have you owned an iPhone? The Pre isn't 100% accurate, but the iPhone wasn't a peach to touch either. I remember always getting frustrated because of the inaccuracies. I'm not sure if it's still an issue, but it was when I had the 3G.

The iPod app sucked. The UI was NOT impressive at all and it was just a pain to use. I wonder if there is a side by side comparison on YouTube...I'd do it if I still had it, but I don't.

To each their own right?
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Amazing coming to a Pre site and getting advice from members with 5,000+ posts to NOT get the Pre+! Now that's unbiased!

But seriously, I do appreciate the feedback (as I'm sure the OP does too). So let me get this straight...even the Palm guys are suggesting for us current iPhone users to stay w/ Apple and to wait for the 4th gen iPhone? I must be misunderstanding the suggestions as it seems I will be extremely disappointed if I defect to the Pre+.

Like I said, I like the iPhone, but want something different. That something is WebOS. If there is a future H/Pre+ coming out someday, it likely won't be this year...and I'm really hoping there is new hardware. However, from what I have seen in the current Pre+, it seems to be a worthy replacement for my 3G.

Nonetheless, its hard to really evaluate a phone for ones needs w/o actually taking it home and using it for a few days. That will be the real test. If it works for me, I'm keeping it. If not, I'll return it and go back to my iPhone. But I'm really hoping I'll like it as I have vested interest in HP taking WebOS to the next level.
    Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    Amazing coming to a Pre site and getting advice from members with 5,000+ posts to NOT get the Pre+! Now that's unbiased!

But seriously, I do appreciate the feedback (as I'm sure the OP does too). So let me get this straight...even the Palm guys are suggesting for us current iPhone users to stay w/ Apple and to wait for the 4th gen iPhone? I must be misunderstanding the suggestions as it seems I will be extremely disappointed if I defect to the Pre+.

Like I said, I like the iPhone, but want something different. That something is WebOS. If there is a future H/Pre+ coming out someday, it likely won't be this year...and I'm really hoping there is new hardware. However, from what I have seen in the current Pre+, it seems to be a worthy replacement for my 3G.

Nonetheless, its hard to really evaluate a phone for ones needs w/o actually taking it home and using it for a few days. That will be the real test. If it works for me, I'm keeping it. If not, I'll return it and go back to my iPhone. But I'm really hoping I'll like it as I have vested interest in HP taking WebOS to the next level.
    That's the best way to do it. Don't take anyone's word here for it. Use it yourself and see how it is.

Like I said, there are some anti-Palm people here or people that are just angry at Palm for the defects they've had for whatever reason. Again, this is a small percentage of Palm's population. A very small percentage.
    I know enough about the differences of the two phones to recognize that both have genuine pluses and minuses, and depending on a person's priorities, would steer you to one phone or another.

But I can't believe anyone wouldn't find the Pre keyboard "less accurate" than the iPhones. With auto correct, you just barely have to get close to the keys you want and corrects as you go.

I am about a 1,000 times more accurate on an iPhone keyboard than I ever was on the Pre keyboard.

**edited to correct**
    Last edited by finngirl; 05/12/2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I know enough about the differences of the two phones to recognize that both have genuine pluses and minuses, and depending on a person's priorities, would steer you to one phone or another.

But I can't believe anyone would find the Pre keyboard "less accurate" than the iPhones. With auto correct, you just barely have to get close to the keys you want and corrects as you go.

I am about a 1,000 times more accurate on an iPhone keyboard than I ever was on the Pre keyboard.
    You contradicted yourself in that post...

I'm guessing your last line meant to say 1,000 times more accurate with the Pre keyboard considering it is the physical one.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast