Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    But.. Still behind RIM. Although if Android can beat out Apple, then Palm definitely can beat the crap out of both Apple AND Android. With HP's help. And of course, if RIM doesn't improve fast, then maybe we'll go for them too.

Just imagine a giant game of Pac Man. And RIM is the farthest away. Waka waka waka...

NPD: Android ousts iPhone OS for second place in US smartphone market -- Engadget
    I just saw this and it was painful to read. It shows the wisdom of having lots of different models and not just one or two. Sure, there are lots of differences in apps and marketing. But Droid started from zero and is beating apple at their own game. the biggest difference between droid and apple is the variety of models and carriers to choose from... IMHO
    Its good, a great alternative to iPhone, even if its not WebOS, would surely wake up people and encourage them to look outside the box of apple, this would definitely help all other devices, windows phone 7, and webOS phones.

This is same logic as the rise of firefox helping Opera, Safari, linux, and Macs. Simply by telling people IE, thus windows, is not the only solution.

Now, HP-Palm, we need a spectacular new device, and a great ads campaign.
    With the help of HP palm and webos are going to close the gap real fast

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I think people are getting too excited about this prematurely.

For one, this is a typically down quarter for iPhone sales as they are nearing a refresh, but not quite there. Second, I don't think NPD tallies sales at Apple stores or from Apple online directly. Third, there is no WAY that 50 million+ Android devices have soldthrough, so they haven't really matched iPhone sales at all even with their myriad of models combined.

This is, however, solidly indicative of momentum for the Android platform, and they should be proud of that. They've earned it by providing a credible alternative to iPhone that is available on every carrier, has a huge and robust app catalog, hardware available in several form factors and has unique software advantages to boot.

No other competitors (WebOS, RIM, Windows Mobile, Symbian) can claim all of those things.

It is my hope that HP will take note of those advantages and match them as soon as humanly possible.
    Palm won't crush Android and Apple.

However, with Apple's closed, restrictive and expensive business model leading to the logical end that it has ALWAYS led to (see: Macintosh, Apple II, and Newton) -- Apple's failure in the marketplace and rapid collapse to niche marketshare -- there is an opportunity for Palm to secure itself a spot in the top three.

Android has lots of problems from a sheer usability perspective. RIM's OS is so old and inflexible that it amazes me that it still exists at all. And Apple is determined to squeeze every dime from its customers while simultaneously shafting its key development partners. So HPalm becomes a desirable choice due to its mix of modernity, openness, ease of development, and power.

In 12 months' time, the mobile landscape will look very, very different. And I guarantee that Apple's share will be smaller -- much smaller -- than it is today.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Personally, I'm not an android fan but Im very excited for their success over Apple. Hopefully this will force Apple to rethink their exclusivity on ATT and put themselves on ALL carriers in order to keep up.

But, despite not liking android then my next phone probably will be Android. With a 1yr renewal coming up then it's the only phone sprint has that can live up to it's potential. Apple most likely will be stubborn and stick with ATT, WinPho7 isn't until Q4 and Even if WebOS offers something it will be an interim product that has a very questionable support future.

For now, Android is the best mobile OS you can settle for.
    Another of the surprising findings from this survey is how far behind Sprint is in the smartphone wars. It had only 15% of smartphone sales, versus T-Mo (a MUCH smaller carrier) having 17%, Verizon 30%, and AT&T 32%.

No wonder the Pre launch didn't hit expectations on Sprint. Sprint doesn't seem capable of selling smartphones. If T-Mobile's lackluster smartphone lineup is selling more units than Sprint's, Sprint has some serious problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Palm won't crush Android and Apple.

However, with Apple's closed, restrictive and expensive business model leading to the logical end that it has ALWAYS led to (see: Macintosh, Apple II, and Newton) -- Apple's failure in the marketplace and rapid collapse to niche marketshare -- there is an opportunity for Palm to secure itself a spot in the top three.

Android has lots of problems from a sheer usability perspective. RIM's OS is so old and inflexible that it amazes me that it still exists at all. And Apple is determined to squeeze every dime from its customers while simultaneously shafting its key development partners. So HPalm becomes a desirable choice due to its mix of modernity, openness, ease of development, and power.

In 12 months' time, the mobile landscape will look very, very different. And I guarantee that Apple's share will be smaller -- much smaller -- than it is today.
    Really?

You see the iPhone OS and devices as being akin to Macintosh? Because it's looking a lot more like iPod, which wasn't a niche product. It came in and owned its category with a lead that has never been broken, and likely never will be as far as personal media players. Then, they leveraged that and blew open the smartphone game. The, they leveraged that and blew open the tablet game. Keep in mind they sold nine MILLION iPhones last quarter with a models that had been around since June of the previous year.

Not one other competing smartphone even sold half that during the same period. So how - in 12 months - will Apple's marketshare be "much, much smaller"? I genuinely want to know.

HP/Palm definitely has an opportunity, but that's all it is. iPhone's continued dominance for the forseeable future is a nigh certainty. Don't get it twisted.
    Another of the surprising findings from this survey is how far behind Sprint is in the smartphone wars. It had only 15% of smartphone sales, versus T-Mo (a MUCH smaller carrier) having 17%, Verizon 30%, and AT&T 32%.

No wonder the Pre launch didn't hit expectations on Sprint. Sprint doesn't seem capable of selling smartphones. If T-Mobile's lackluster smartphone lineup is selling more units than Sprint's, Sprint has some serious problems.
    Sprint's lineup is the most lackluster, and their upfront pricing is the worst. That's a pretty formidable one-two combo to stifle sales.

If you want the best Blackberry, you go to either Verizon or AT&T.
    You want the iPhone, you go to AT&T.
    You want the best WinMO device, you go to T-Mobile (HD2), and before that...maybe Verizon with the Imagio.
    You want the best WebOS device, you go to Verizon.
    You want the best Android, you go to Verizon or T-Mobile (Nexus One sold with subsidy).

You want the best plan, you go to Sprint. Too bad, people care about devices when it comes to smartphones. Sprint's plan advantages aint much of a differentiator when we're talking a device-driven category.
    The main reason why apple fell behind android is the simple buy one get one free as explained in the article. Without that, android would be well behind apple. If apple did that and came to verizon, it would become the number one selling phone in the US. reading anything else into the article is foolish. It is all about getting one free, not anything else. Palm will not explode back into the market spotlight. Apple sells more iPhones worldwide in one week, than palm sells in a whole year. Palm only makes up 1% of the entire market. Sure it will increase it's market share now that HP owns it, but to expect it to be ome the market leader is foolish.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Sprint definitely has serious problems, but I think the blame on lack of smartphone sales is misdirected. They have the best plan prices but they have the most mediocre phones. And the wa it seems to work then people follow the phone and settle for the carrier.

We'll see how the EVO does for Sprint but even still I don't see it rescuing them. IF it came out the ay it was announced then Sprint wouldve got a lot of new business. But it's not even priced out yet and it's already starting to "feel" outdated because the Android market moves so fast that peple may not be inclined to switch just for "another android phone".
    With Android leaping over Apple, it makes sense why Apple is suing HTC (android) over patent infringements. With very few patents in their arsenal, this could spell out big problems for HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sprint definitely has serious problems, but I think the blame on lack of smartphone sales is misdirected. They have the best plan prices but they have the most mediocre phones. And the wa it seems to work then people follow the phone and settle for the carrier.

We'll see how the EVO does for Sprint but even still I don't see it rescuing them. IF it came out the ay it was announced then Sprint wouldve got a lot of new business. But it's not even priced out yet and it's already starting to "feel" outdated because the Android market moves so fast that peple may not be inclined to switch just for "another android phone".
    I almost forgot about Sprint's other problem: Slow refreshing.

For a very brief period last October, Sprint had THE BEST smartphone lineup as they had - at the time - the top Android device (Hero), the only WebOS device (Pre), the top WinMo device (The TouchPro 2) and the top CDMA Blackberry (the Tour).

Roughly 3 months later, they fell behind in almost every category, and they're not due for a refresh on any of them until June at the EARLIEST. That's a lot of time to have a second-rate lineup. In fact, Sprint's behind on devices for most of the year of any given year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    For one, this is a typically down quarter for iPhone sales as they are nearing a refresh, but not quite there. Second, I don't think NPD tallies sales at Apple stores or from Apple online directly. Third, there is no WAY that 50 million+ Android devices have soldthrough, so they haven't really matched iPhone sales at all even with their myriad of models combined.
    1. Q1 is NOT apple's traditional iPhone DOWN quarter http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ter_simple.svg
    2. NPD counts apple sales from in store and online. Were you seriously thinking that NPD is under-counting iPhone sales by 30+ %?
    3. nobody is talking about 50m+ android sales, as this is a quarter sales in the US.
    Hi all, I can promise them that Palm/HP webOS will knock Android and RIM out of 1st and 2nd place.

Take care, Jay

May 10, 2010
    Google's Android Takes No 2 Spot From iPhone
    By REUTERS
    Filed at 12:55 p.m. ET

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2010/...gewanted=print

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc displaced iPhone maker Apple Inc to become the second most popular provider of smartphone software in the United States during the first quarter, the latest sign of the increasing competition in the fast-growing mobile market.

Smartphones featuring Google's Android operating system accounted for 28 percent of U.S. smartphone unit sales in the first quarter according to NPD Group, behind top-ranked Research in Motion, maker of the Blackberry phone, which had a 36 percent share of the market.

Smartphones, which allow consumers to surf the web, send email and run specialized applications on wide, color screens, are increasingly replacing no-frills cell phones for many U.S. consumers.

The devices have become a prime battleground for a variety of tech companies seeking to ensure a good position in the evolving market.

Last month, Hewlett-Packard Co. said it would pay $1.2 billion to acquire Palm Inc, which sells two smartphone models based on its WebOS operating system. Microsoft Corp, whose Windows operating system is used in the majority of the world's PCs, unveiled a pair of smartphones last month and recently launched a revamped version of its mobile operating system.

Apple has sold more than 51 million iPhones since it launched the device to wide acclaim in 2007, and the company says that more than 200,000 apps are available for the phone.

In the first quarter, Apple's iPhone which is available exclusively on the AT&T wireless network in the United States, dropped to third place as its share of the smartphone operating system market remained flat quarter-over-quarter at 21 percent share.

Unlike Apple, Google offers its Android software to other phone-makers. In April, Google said that a dozen vendors currently offer 34 different devices that feature the Android software.

NPD analyst Ross Rubin said the strong showing of Android phones during the first quarter owed to promotions by Verizon Wireless, which he said has expanded its buy-one-get-one offer. Verizon Wireless is a venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group Plc.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hmm, I can get a free Android device on any carrier. Apple sells two different iPhone models on 1 carrier. I bet the iPhone is far more profitable for Apple than Android is for Google. That should be all that matters.

By the way, iPhone shipments are up 130 percent this year.
    With the evo, 4g, and a new palm phone sprint will go all out with advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Hmm, I can get a free Android device on any carrier. Apple sells two different iPhone models on 1 carrier. I bet the iPhone is far more profitable for Apple than Android is for Google. That should be all that matters.

By the way, iPhone shipments are up 130 percent this year.
    yeah right, android is up infinite percentage this year. means nothing

market share will sure bring in more money in the future. Otherwise, why people even bother with starting up anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    yeah right, android is up infinite percentage this year. means nothing

market share will sure bring in more money in the future. Otherwise, why people even bother with starting up anything?
    I wonder what Android sales would be if only 2 models were available on one carrier and they were practically giving them away. I bet not so good.

And, I wonder what would happen if the iPhone was also available on Verizon and Sprint?

The goal is not to sell the most phones, the goal is to be the most profitable. Just ask Nokia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast