Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Can anyone who has used the HTC sense interface compare the user experience to webOS?

For example on webOS I keep aprx 3 cards open from different web sites and track them throughout the day. In addition I keep the calendar, email, chat, cards open.

How would I accomplish this with HTC sense? would it be as intuitive? better? worse?

any insights would be helpful
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    If I'm not mistaken HTC Sense was originally known as Manila. It is a UI which is similar to SPB Mobile Shell. It is customizable via widgets and shortcuts. My experience with it is superficial. Whenever I can I try out Android demo units. Playing with them as long as possible. I am impressed with new Android releases in terms of hardware specs but I just can't make myself love the UI Sense experience. Maybe it's just me, but WebOS for me is still the best. And, as I always say, I can't wait to see Ruby's shiny new toy. I hope it comes out soon.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    It's like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. Sense is just like sliding across several different home screens where as webOS cards are actual live applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    It's like comparing apples and oranges in my opinion. Sense is just like sliding across several different home screens where as webOS cards are actual live applications.
    Those widgets are live on the homescreen, so what do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Those widgets are live on the homescreen, so what do you mean?
    They are just widgets not full active and open applications widgets are a so-so substitute for real multitasking ala webos
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    They are just widgets not full active and open applications widgets are a so-so substitute for real multitasking ala webos
    Actually the full app is running in the background just like webos except you cannot see it. And the widget would be compared to the notifications bar at the botton on the pre/pixi. Like music apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Actually the full app is running in the background just like webos except you cannot see it. And the widget would be compared to the notifications bar at the botton on the pre/pixi. Like music apps.
    Exactly, the apps are still running and either keep the state they were left in or continue to run as in the case of streaming apps like Pandora etc. I've often started to load a web page, switched to another app only to come back and see the page completely loaded. Widgets continue to update themselves in the background as well and on some, the intervals can be adjusted.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Exactly, the apps are still running and either keep the state they were left in or continue to run as in the case of streaming apps like Pandora etc. I've often started to load a web page, switched to another app only to come back and see the page completely loaded. Widgets continue to update themselves in the background as well and on some, the intervals can be adjusted.
    Yep, and for some odd reason people cant understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Can anyone who has used the HTC sense interface compare the user experience to webOS?

For example on webOS I keep aprx 3 cards open from different web sites and track them throughout the day. In addition I keep the calendar, email, chat, cards open.

How would I accomplish this with HTC sense? would it be as intuitive? better? worse?

any insights would be helpful
    Thanks
    You are able to keep that many cards open at all times? You must have a Pre Plus. I don't find having 3 web sites open in 3 cards very useful. As soon as you switch from one website to another, the one you just went to has to be reloaded again.

I have only played a little bit with an Incredible at a Verizon store, and I forgot to check if that browser supports tabbed browsing, if it did, then that would be the only way to keep multiple pages open at the same time. As far as the rest goes, if there is a widget for it, you can stick it on a homescreen and have all that information ready for you as soon as you move to that screen. If you want more in depth info on something, click on the widget and the actual app pops up.

Best thing for you to do is go play with a demo unit, or just watch as many review videos as you can find on YouTube.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    so if I understand correctly HTC Sense uses "widgets" like webOS users "notification bars" in other words if I have pandora running on webOS and I "minimize" the app, it appears as a notification. If I'm using HTC sense, pandora is running as a "widget" on a sense page?

and I'm under the impression HTC sense has 7 pages (home screens) where I can place individual widgets? (webOS notifications?)

can I place 4-5 web pages on a HTC sense page in addition to other sense pages?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    You are able to keep that many cards open at all times? You must have a Pre Plus. I don't find having 3 web sites open in 3 cards very useful. As soon as you switch from one website to another, the one you just went to has to be reloaded again.

I have only played a little bit with an Incredible at a Verizon store, and I forgot to check if that browser supports tabbed browsing, if it did, then that would be the only way to keep multiple pages open at the same time. As far as the rest goes, if there is a widget for it, you can stick it on a homescreen and have all that information ready for you as soon as you move to that screen. If you want more in depth info on something, click on the widget and the actual app pops up.

Best thing for you to do is go play with a demo unit, or just watch as many review videos as you can find on YouTube.
    I hate when the pages have to reload when I switch apps. Sometimes it makes my pixi restart, and its irritating because it will freeze first then restart.

And I believe the incredible does have tabbed browsing. I could have sworn that I seen it in the phonedog review. But even if it doesn't the other browsers available has them.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    so if I understand correctly HTC Sense uses "widgets" like webOS users "notification bars" in other words if I have pandora running on webOS and I "minimize" the app, it appears as a notification. If I'm using HTC sense, pandora is running as a "widget" on a sense page?

and I'm under the impression HTC sense has 7 pages (home screens) where I can place individual widgets? (webOS notifications?)

can I place 4-5 web pages on a HTC sense page in addition to other sense pages?

Thanks
    Yes, for the most part. Now text messages, alarms, etc show up in the top bar for android with sense. And android period. but things like facebook updating, twitter feeds, pictures, pandora, slacker, calenders, etc show up as widgets where you can place anywhere on the screen. And tap on them and they will go to the full app which is already running.

Yes, sense has 7 pages. And you can place web bookmarks as icons.

#1 Simply hold your finger down on the home screen where you want the shortcut.
    #2 Then tap Shortcuts > Bookmark.
    #3 Select the thumbnail of the website you want.
    There are at least 3 browsers available for Android that support tabbed browsing: Dolphin, Xscope and Skyfire. The stock doesn't, but it does support multiple windows so yes, you can still have multiple windows open (hit menu and choose 'new window').
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    My experience with Android is that is multitasks better than webos. Does webos look better doing it? Yes. Does it do it better? Not in my book. I think many on these forums have not used Android for more than short durations.

I used to have the Hero, here is what I would do - I would have a (live) twitte widget with a full app running the backgroud, calendar, facebook, and many other live widgets running. In the background would run my tasks, mail, sms, calendar, twitter apps. All running good enough (live or updating regularly enough, and would launch very quickly). At the same time I could have at least 3-4 pages open in the browser without them having to reload. Sometime I would open a page at the beginning of the day, only to forgot about it and come back at the end of the day and find that it's still there without needing to reload (webos has never come close to doing that for me).

Granted, I was running a custom ROM (version of the OS that was a bit more streamlined than the stock OS... Which wasn't very good), but since then 2.1 is available (not officially yet) and it runs even faster.

Here is the important info: I did all this with a device that was literally half the Incredible (528mhz vs 1ghz, 256mb of ram vs 512mb of ram, 3.2in lcd vs 3.7in lcd, and the Incredible is a much thinner and beautiful device). Also, Android has 50,000+ apps vs webos', what, 3,000? Sure, HP is buying Palm, but no one really knows what that means (there is a lot of reason for optimism though).

If you have the opportunity to buy the incredible I would go for it.
    also, multitasking in android beyond jumping through widgets and going back home (MUCH easier than it was on WM...), you can hold the "home" button and it will allow you to move between the last 6 apps you've been in.
    Quote Originally Posted by elessarelfstar View Post
    My experience with Android is that is multitasks better than webos. Does webos look better doing it? Yes. Does it do it better? Not in my book. I think many on these forums have not used Android for more than short durations.

I used to have the Hero, here is what I would do - I would have a (live) twitte widget with a full app running the backgroud, calendar, facebook, and many other live widgets running. In the background would run my tasks, mail, sms, calendar, twitter apps. All running good enough (live or updating regularly enough, and would launch very quickly). At the same time I could have at least 3-4 pages open in the browser without them having to reload. Sometime I would open a page at the beginning of the day, only to forgot about it and come back at the end of the day and find that it's still there without needing to reload (webos has never come close to doing that for me).

Granted, I was running a custom ROM (version of the OS that was a bit more streamlined than the stock OS... Which wasn't very good), but since then 2.1 is available (not officially yet) and it runs even faster.

Here is the important info: I did all this with a device that was literally half the Incredible (528mhz vs 1ghz, 256mb of ram vs 512mb of ram, 3.2in lcd vs 3.7in lcd, and the Incredible is a much thinner and beautiful device). Also, Android has 50,000+ apps vs webos', what, 3,000? Sure, HP is buying Palm, but no one really knows what that means (there is a lot of reason for optimism though).

If you have the opportunity to buy the incredible I would go for it.
    This is exactly what I wanted to say, but didn't have the attention span to keep writing.
    I was using the white European HTC Hero for a little under a year. I bought it from a company that imports phones locally. It was absurdly expensive, but at the time worth it in my eyes. The experience was initially great! It gave me a quicker way to get more information from multiple sources. While the design of the hardware was not the best. If you look at the design of that phone it had really awkward hardware keys. Back to the Sense vs. webOs Sense makes Android that much more bearable. Android as a whole still seems very rough around the edges. There is very little that is innovative. The best feature is the drop down menu that shows you all the important notifications on your phone. The integration with Facebook is very lack luster. Opening a contact's "card" show's you all of their emails/Facebook updates/ text messages and other information. Very useless in my opinion. The Android app for Facebook it much better. Most of the time you will get a badge telling you that there are multiple updates taking you to the Facebook website. Other than that you have a bland list of icons for apps and a general setting menu.

Widgets. Widgets are the only thing Android and Sense have going for it. Again you have the typical. Weather/calendar/Facebook/music/photos/time. The widgets are very handy in offering information. Unfortunately almost all of it is superficial. You have to actually click the Widget to take you to the app to get any real information. Some of them are offer more functionality, and although seeing sense if what really sold me on Android originally I did not get what I paid for. Sense is great as a skin for any mobile operating system, but it does not offer a replacement or a significant improvement. Unfortunately the Hero suffered from lag the more I used it. I tried the Droid Incredible and still felt like something was missing. The Android OS still feels empty with Sense. After all it is just a skin and it barely goes any deeper than a contact manager and superficial widgets.
    Isn't Sense a "theme" that has several widgets and apps? It's an gui overlay for android. It includes the look of the menu bars and the launchers and stuff. and has it's home screen pages and widgets.

Cards is just a gui just for multitasking. Seems you're comparing two different things.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I have a Droid Eris on VZW and my Pre on Sprint. The Pre is BY FAR easier to use! I really like the HTC Sense more than the default Android option, but the only thing I like on Android better than WebOS is the live widgets on the screen. Other than that, the settings, the app-switching, the app closing...is all clunky & almost obnoxious on Android. WebOS is just smooth, easy, and intuitive
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Reading all these posts are great, you android 'users' are making me feel just how clunky android OS really is, sounds like alot of work to navigate through your open apps.

And these claimed webOS users saying you can't have more then one web page open at a time or it reloads when you switch back. I have precentrals full web page open,testmy.net,low range offroad(2pages open),ran a speed test and then logged in to precentral to write this post. All on a stock sprint pre and moving effortlessly between my open pages. So when was the last time you used a webOS phone?

P.S. I have no clue how well the pixi multi tasks, but my pre does it far better then described by some in this thread. Please keep telling us all how superior android is over webOS, I need a good laugh......proven rant done
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast