Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Somebody hasn't used webOS since 1.4. 1.4 fixed the "reload on card maximize" problem. The site loads in the background, once, and then sits there (unless it's one of those annoying autorefreshing web sites).

Sense is just a skin on top of vanilla Android. It won't allow you to use "card view." You can multitask in Android by loading up apps.

Pressing the "Home" button pops up a menu that lets you select the app you want and it switches to that "screen." However, Android limits the number of simultaneous apps to six, and will close any app that either takes up too much RAM or goes over the six-app limit. webOS, in contrast, gives you the choice to close a card or two when you're hitting the hardware limits.

It's clunky, but it works once you master all of Android's eccentricities. However, basic Android multitasking is the same on Sense and non-Sense devices (and that ain't nonsense).
    Sorry, but this isn't the case for everyone.

I have 1.4.1.1, and I get reloads and blank web pages when switching back to a Web page all of the time. It also happens when you are using an app that streams and constantly uses memory, like watching a couple of 10-minute clips on YouTube. try going back to your open windows then, and as soon as you hit card view, you will see solid gray/brown cards that need to reload.

WebOS definitely has more inconsistent memory management than Android. I've never had my Hero tell me it couldn't open up another program, and it runs multiple browser windows as ONE process, so it is super rare you need more than five other apps open at the same time. With WebOS, sometimes I can have 6 cards open, and sometimes I can't open a third one. I get "Too Many Cards" errors even when I'm playing a game and not trying to open another card (and have no cards open in the background).

Swipes are definitely easier and more visually intuitive than Android's multitasking, however, their effectiveness is limited to certain situations, and you never know if the browser window will stay there or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Reading all these posts are great, you android 'users' are making me feel just how clunky android OS really is, sounds like alot of work to navigate through your open apps.

And these claimed webOS users saying you can't have more then one web page open at a time or it reloads when you switch back. I have precentrals full web page open,testmy.net,low range offroad(2pages open),ran a speed test and then logged in to precentral to write this post. All on a stock sprint pre and moving effortlessly between my open pages. So when was the last time you used a webOS phone?

P.S. I have no clue how well the pixi multi tasks, but my pre does it far better then described by some in this thread. Please keep telling us all how superior android is over webOS, I need a good laugh......proven rant done
    I use it all the time, I dont have an android device.

webOS RELOADS WEB PAGES, WE ARE NOT MAKING THIS UP.

My pre with jstop and 800mhz OC still reloads webpages. IT IS FREAKING ANNOYING.

There is not some conspiracy theory. The device does this, if it NEVER does it for you, well congrats.
    webos doesn't always reload web pages.. I've been flipping between 4 different web pages in different cards for 15 minutes and none of them have reloaded on me. I'm sure there are circumstances that will cause a page to reload, but I apparently haven't run into them yet

edit: just thought I'd keep going to see if I'd get a reload, but no reload after an hour of keeping them open. I think it's all based on memory like someone else said, until you meet the memory limit the page won't need to be reloaded
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 05/10/2010 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    I get the ****** award...yay!!! Much appreciated..ty..tyvm, I hope it's the webOS ****** award and not the android ****** award.

Those pages will stay live all day on webOS, until you reach the limits of your ram all is fine. Didn't mean to seem so fired up it's just the past is not the present and some of those webOS remarks were not accurate....carry on!!!

@mannyZ28 I opened a 2nd precentral card and androidcental and have no refreshing at all. So my stock pre is more capable then your patched one....
    Not sure what your deal is man, but where did you read that I patched my Pre? It's as stock as stock gets, nothing done to it, no Preware, no patches, no nothing.

And I am just telling you what I experienced, so I don't care what you say, and I also don't care what color your smileys' tounge is, but on my UNPATCHED Pre every single one of the pages I mentioned had to reload when I moved between them.

And Mr. Miller, I am tired of responding to you. For some reason you think I am some newbie who doesn't know what he's talking about when instead I have been a productive member of the precentral forums since January of 2009, so don't tell me that I haven't been using 1.4.1.1! If I remember correctly, the Pre will automatically update which it never gets a chance to do in my case since I have always eagerly awaited every update and installed it as soon as it becomes available.
    I have a pre, and my friend got a HTC Incredible on verizon. I find the phones screen awesome, the android apps great, but the overall function has me lost without webOS. Its such a powerful phone but I miss my cards. I find myself feeling lost on his phone thinking oh wait, let me close that and open something else, then find I can't Is my first major hands on with Android and I must say I don't really like it...too much going on to figure how to do stuff. webOS is more fluid like to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I have a pre, and my friend got a HTC Incredible on verizon. I find the phones screen awesome, the android apps great, but the overall function has me lost without webOS. Its such a powerful phone but I miss my cards. I find myself feeling lost on his phone thinking oh wait, let me close that and open something else, then find I can't Is my first major hands on with Android and I must say I don't really like it...too much going on to figure how to do stuff. webOS is more fluid like to me.
    It's all about just getting used to a new OS. Honestly, I won't miss the swiping and flicking all that much. Swiping to go back always seemed more difficult for me because that useless button on the Sprint Pre is in the way, also, because the phone is so slow, it happened quite frequently that I swiped twice and I landed up missing my "spot". The flicking away gesture is fun, but it would be even better if something more would happen other than the card disappearing off the screen, like, maybe the phone getting the memory space back that that particular app used up so I won't get the stupid TMC error. It really makes me wonder, did anyone at Palm ever use the Pre on a daily basis? Don't they see what a huge problem that is?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I'm testing my Pre right now. I swear that it used to refresh open card web pages before but not this time. I really didn't notice the change until the topic was brought up in this thread. Another thing, the Pre may be slow at times but not in general. At least that's my experience.

Regarding Sense and Android, I really tried to make myself like it but I just can't. It brings me back to the old days. WebOS experience, for me, is the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    cool. That's why its important to try. Android is for some, webos is for others, but doesn't "suck" compared to the other.

For those who are not getting page reloads - are you using the Pre Plus? Makes a huge difference. If not, are you opening those 3 or 4 browser windows with also having something like sms, calendar, tasks, and twitter open and regularly using them... Them opening Facebook to check stuff then going back to see if anything needs to reload? Because that's what I'm talking about. If that is working fine for you then that is really great - but its never worked for me.
    webOS will reload web pages that have an "autoreload" script (those pages that also autoreload on PCs), but not otherwise. I've never had an autoreload problem on webOS since the 1.4 update, and I'm a heavy web browser (as well as Facebook user).

I think a lot of the problems people are reporting are hardware problems with bad hardware. Not to excuse Palm, since the hardware shouldn't be bad, but the webOS experience when it's operating correctly doesn't jibe with freezes and constant page reloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    webOS will reload web pages that have an "autoreload" script (those pages that also autoreload on PCs), but not otherwise. I've never had an autoreload problem on webOS since the 1.4 update, and I'm a heavy web browser (as well as Facebook user).

I think a lot of the problems people are reporting are hardware problems with bad hardware. Not to excuse Palm, since the hardware shouldn't be bad, but the webOS experience when it's operating correctly doesn't jibe with freezes and constant page reloads.
    You aren't reading what people have been writing. WebOS reloads ANY page once its memory is consumed by YouTube videos, games, or other background processes. You can clearly see the pages have been brown/greyed out when you go to card view. This is a verifiable phenomenon that several people here - myself included - have observed and can reproduce. Sprint Pre phones are especially susceptible to this with their 256MB of RAM, and they are likely the most populous WebOS device out there.

Blame it on whatever you want. That inconsistency across handsets is simply another checkmark in the minus column.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    There are at least 3 browsers available for Android that support tabbed browsing: Dolphin, Xscope and Skyfire. The stock doesn't, but it does support multiple windows so yes, you can still have multiple windows open (hit menu and choose 'new window').
    The Stock browser supports tabbed browsing. Not in the sense you are thinking, but you can hit menu --> windows and open a new browser window
    When the buzz around the UK HTC Hero was high, I really liked the HTC Sense UI. I think it's great and highly customizable.

But I'm more of a fan of webOS right now
    The Pre Plus probably has less of the page reloading because of the extra ram. I get it when I use an app that consumes a lot of memory. (Sprint Pre)

And to the people defending Android's multitasking, it's not that it does/doesn't multitasks, it's that webos does it in a much easier way.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123