Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've had my Hero (7months) for almost as long as I had my Pre (6months). I can say the Pre was better with multitasking and the browser was better, but.... Hero you can do so much without sshing or rooting like what you had to do on the Pre. Tho, I got rid of my Pre back in Nov. so I don't know what all has changed since then... I am glad tho my upgrade is due on June 1st. Just in time for Evo!

Oh yeah, multitasking on the Hero kinda is a pain sometimes. There are some programs that dont have an "exit" or "close" feature so you have to go and kill them in the applications setting. Such a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    This is exactly what I wanted to say, but didn't have the attention span to keep writing.
    LMAO! I agree with you. Thanks all for the info on this as I was wondering the same thing myself
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Reading all these posts are great, you android 'users' are making me feel just how clunky android OS really is, sounds like alot of work to navigate through your open apps.

And these claimed webOS users saying you can't have more then one web page open at a time or it reloads when you switch back. I have precentrals full web page open,testmy.net,low range offroad(2pages open),ran a speed test and then logged in to precentral to write this post. All on a stock sprint pre and moving effortlessly between my open pages. So when was the last time you used a webOS phone?

P.S. I have no clue how well the pixi multi tasks, but my pre does it far better then described by some in this thread. Please keep telling us all how superior android is over webOS, I need a good laugh......proven rant done
    And the ******* award goes to you!!! Nah just kidding.... really I am.

But opening apps on android is the same way as the pre, theirs just another way to do it if you want to. To open the app the regular way just open the tray (just like you would open the launcher) and tap on the icon. It's just with android you can CHOOSE to have widgets on your homescreen where it make things really simple and its nice eye candy.

And for the browser open up cnn.com and foxnews.com and while flipping the cards on webos the one your focused on has to refresh. Not at all like android.

And as far as you saying that were trying to convince people that android is the best, were not. We're simply trying to educate uneducated people on the matter.
    Reading all these posts are great, you android 'users' are making me feel just how clunky android OS really is, sounds like alot of work to navigate through your open apps.

And these claimed webOS users saying you can't have more then one web page open at a time or it reloads when you switch back. I have precentrals full web page open,testmy.net,low range offroad(2pages open),ran a speed test and then logged in to precentral to write this post. All on a stock sprint pre and moving effortlessly between my open pages. So when was the last time you used a webOS phone?

P.S. I have no clue how well the pixi multi tasks, but my pre does it far better then described by some in this thread. Please keep telling us all how superior android is over webOS, I need a good laugh......proven rant done
    Ah, so I am a "claimed webOS user". I have had it since launch day, I know what I am doing with it, and I am not exactly a noob on this forum. I even made sure that the browser acts this way by opening two precentral and one androidcentral website. If I move away from website 1 to go to 2, when I swipe back to card view you can see that the two sites that I wasn't focused on, in this case 1 and 3 get blurry. As soon as you focus on one of them, the Pre reloads the content which really slows things down.

(sure, the page was still there a few minutes later, but would it be at the end of the day? Probably not)

Well, I'm not a "claimed" webos user. Tomorrow I should be getting my third Sprint Pre replacement (2nd refurb... the 1st was crap... expecting this one to be as well). I've been using webos since late January - so just over 3 months. I've rooted, hacked, used preware, patches, and overclocked (right now using Govnah with "Conservative" 500-720Mhz scaling). I also used the Pixi for a little while - very slick, but not good for a power user.

Before webos I used (pretty extensively) T-mobile mytouch 3G (3 months), Cliq (3 weeks), and the Sprint Hero (1 month). I do not currently do not use an Android phone, but my wife still has a Hero, which she has let me root and keep up to date. For each of the phones I had I did pretty much everything I could (the Cliq did not have root then though).

I would agree with what some are saying - webos is indeed prettier than Android, and it is "easier" to use. But after using both a lot (my phone is in my hand 20-30% of my day) I really like Android a lot better and wish I would've stayed with it.

In terms of which one works better it really depends on the user. In what I am looking for in a mobile device I prefer Android. I think webos is a GREAT platform, but with what I like to do I feel really limited with it. That is the reason I never got an iphone - everytime I pick one up I jump to an app, and jump back to the homescreen a couple of times and think, "that's it?" I feel the same about webos - in the end it's pretty much a sleek and simply app launcher like the iphone, but with (which makes it better) multitasking. For some people, that is awesome, but I want to be able to do more with it.

btw - I actually like stock Android without Sense UI better (on the Hero, the Sense UI did noticeably effect performance - I'm sure it's no issue on the considerably more powerful Incredible)

My perspective is why I push back in the other direction towards Android sometimes on these (wonderful) forums, because sometimes it looks like the person is the "android" type and would be dissatisfied with webos.

I really hope the HP deal helps webos to become awesome, but Android is already a well established platform that an average consumer will be satisfied with (especially with all the 1ghz models coming out)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I get the ****** award...yay!!! Much appreciated..ty..tyvm, I hope it's the webOS ****** award and not the android ****** award.

Those pages will stay live all day on webOS, until you reach the limits of your ram all is fine. Didn't mean to seem so fired up it's just the past is not the present and some of those webOS remarks were not accurate....carry on!!!

@koolkid09 I just opened cnn.com and foxnews.com(then loaded the full web page) with precentral opened and all did need to refresh, but after the other two refreshed I can flop back and forth with no reloading. That's not a constant issue as you made it sound like anytime I switch it has to reload.

@mannyZ28 I opened a 2nd precentral card and androidcental and have no refreshing at all. So my stock pre is more capable then your patched one....
    Last edited by bdog421; 05/10/2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Ok, I'm beginning to understand HTC Sense a little better and of course I can go to a sprint store and try a android phone but It would be great if someone who has used htc sense for some time "educate" us on the steps needed to accomplish the same thing on webOS.

with that being said here's the steps I use on webOS to accomplish the following. I have 6 cards open, (calendar, sms, email, 3 web pages)

to switch between the cards I can use a full swipe on the gesture area to move between each card (full window). No additional "taps" are needed since the app is running in a full window

I can rearrange the cards so that the 2 most often used cards are right next to each other minimizing the number of swipes needed to switch back and forth.

The web pages I need to keep open normally have to be refreshed if I want the latest info on the page so I usually press the refresh button.

can a "seasoned" HTC sense user please go through the steps to accomplish the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Ok, I'm beginning to understand HTC Sense a little better and of course I can go to a sprint store and try a android phone but It would be great if someone who has used htc sense for some time "educate" us on the steps needed to accomplish the same thing on webOS.

with that being said here's the steps I use on webOS to accomplish the following. I have 6 cards open, (calendar, sms, email, 3 web pages)

to switch between the cards I can use a full swipe on the gesture area to move between each card (full window). No additional "taps" are needed since the app is running in a full window

I can rearrange the cards so that the 2 most often used cards are right next to each other minimizing the number of swipes needed to switch back and forth.

The web pages I need to keep open normally have to be refreshed if I want the latest info on the page so I usually press the refresh button.

can a "seasoned" HTC sense user please go through the steps to accomplish the same thing?
    Simple. Hold down the home key, a little box pops up with your six most recent apps used/open; select one and that's it.
    WebOS will keep the web page in its current state until you minimize it, and and don't come back for an extended period of time. On say 1.1 it would show the page in card view, but when you go to back it would reload. Now from my experience it will keep its current state for a few minutes. I think that it reloads in order to ensure that you are looking at the most recent upadtes on your page. Even though this is annoying to some, especially on certain pages, I think WebOS is focusing more on the masses and not those that even know what the differences between SenseUI and the default Android are.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Actually the full app is running in the background just like webos except you cannot see it. And the widget would be compared to the notifications bar at the botton on the pre/pixi. Like music apps.
    Never tried any of the Android variants so I'm curious. Can any application be loaded as a widget or do they have to be written to do so?
    webos is the best, everybody knows it. Android is similar to my windows 7 pc experience. Hell I wish my pc worked like webos. There I said it.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Simple. Hold down the home key, a little box pops up with your six most recent apps used/open; select one and that's it.
    so to move between apps/pages, all that is needed is to press the home key, than tap the icon of whatever app/page you were viewing?
    so to move between apps/pages, all that is needed is to press the home key, than tap the icon of whatever app/page you were viewing?
    It's more or less like "alt-tab" for windows. Simply pressing the home key will bring you to the home dashboard, holding it for just a bit longer will pop up the 6 most recent apps and you you just press the one you want.

All apps don't have widgets, but with sense ui, the follow do: calendar, contacts, twitter, facebook, music, weather, etc. And many off the market do as well. There are also many many stand alone widgets.

Plus your most used apps you can put on the dash board. On my 1st home screen (returns when you short press the home button) I had gmail, twitter, calendar, facebook, tasks (gtasks specifically), and the browser - I also had that big nice clock with simple weather details too. So if for some reason they weren't in the "long press home" pop up I just had to press home again and press on the app I wanted. That's one thing I don't get about people that preach that "webos is the best (and seemingly only) option!!!" If one has 6 cards open, to switch to the furthest card over you have to long swipe 5 times. On Android, if you are in the browser, to get to mail (no matter where you are) you have two options: either hold home and single tap mail from the pop up (two movements), or tap home and then tap mail (two movements). If you are in a different app and need to go to a specific open page in the browser you tap or hold home and select it from homescreen or pop up (two movements), press menu, tap "pages" (or whatever it's called) and select your page - (total of 5 quick presses - not that different from 5 swipes).

In addition if the two websites you keep open are things you wished were available in app form on Android they may actually be. What are the two websites?

If it a little more involved? Yes. Is there more you can do? Yes. It depends on what is more important to you.

After trying it out you may still prefer webos, but at least you tried it.

To the guy who said, "webos is the best and everyone knows it" - yeah, that's a purely subjective opinion, because I don't "know it." They are different phones man. The OP is simply asking for helpful info.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    thank you very much for the good info. While webOS is my sentimental favorite, I'm going to give android w/htc sense a try.

I can always go back to webOS if I can't get used to android w/htc sense.
    I've used Android without Sense, with Sense, and Windows Mobile with the latest Sense.

Sense is nice, but it's not "true" task switching. You're using the Sense overlay for the apps rather than running them. It's a good solution for some, especially on WinMo, but it lacks the elegance of the "card" interface. I actually prefer running Android without it.
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Soooooo... what if you want to bring up the one you used seven apps ago?

Are the six apps listed actually all running? Or is it just a list of shortcuts to the most recent apps used even if they've been killed?
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Soooooo... what if you want to bring up the one you used seven apps ago?

Are the six apps listed actually all running? Or is it just a list of shortcuts to the most recent apps used even if they've been killed?
    Android is hybrid between iphone 4 multitasking and webos. It's different from webos in that the apps may not always be fully running in the background if they have not been used in a while. It's different from iphone 4, because many are actually running in the background - they don't just mostly turn off when you move away from them.

Android uses good memory management. One only gets a good feeling for this if they have used an android phone with enough RAM. That's why the G1 and mytouch weren't great, they barely had enough RAM. And the hero with Sense UI (before 2.1) was bogged done sometimes because it was to slow for Android + sense UI (with sense UI disabled it was plenty quick). The incredible has 512mb of RAM and a 1ghz processor - plenty fast.

When you navigate away from a program it stays running in the background. This happens continuously until the ram reaches a limit where it starts killing off tasks (though not full apps) to make room for more apps to be open - hense the non existence of anything like "too many cards." even apps that haven't been run in a while will still open faster because parts of them are running in the background. The vast majority of the time my most used apps were always fully open in the background, and came forward quickly.

I can only imagine how awesime this whole process would be with hardware like the Incredible, Nexus One, or Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by elessarelfstar View Post
    Android is hybrid between iphone 4 multitasking and webos. It's different from webos in that the apps may not always be fully running in the background if they have not been used in a while. It's different from iphone 4, because many are actually running in the background - they don't just mostly turn off when you move away from them.

Android uses good memory management. One only gets a good feeling for this if they have used an android phone with enough RAM. That's why the G1 and mytouch weren't great, they barely had enough RAM. And the hero with Sense UI (before 2.1) was bogged done sometimes because it was to slow for Android + sense UI (with sense UI disabled it was plenty quick). The incredible has 512mb of RAM and a 1ghz processor - plenty fast.

When you navigate away from a program it stays running in the background. This happens continuously until the ram reaches a limit where it starts killing off tasks (though not full apps) to make room for more apps to be open - hense the non existence of anything like "too many cards." even apps that haven't been run in a while will still open faster because parts of them are running in the background. The vast majority of the time my most used apps were always fully open in the background, and came forward quickly.

I can only imagine how awesime this whole process would be with hardware like the Incredible, Nexus One, or Evo.
    Also there is an app available in xda-developers for android that will bring up last 15 used programs with holding the search button.
    thank you very much for the good info. While webOS is my sentimental favorite, I'm going to give android w/htc sense a try.

I can always go back to webOS if I can't get used to android w/htc sense.
    Let us know what you think. I'd be interested to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I don't find having 3 web sites open in 3 cards very useful. As soon as you switch from one website to another, the one you just went to has to be reloaded again.
    Somebody hasn't used webOS since 1.4. 1.4 fixed the "reload on card maximize" problem. The site loads in the background, once, and then sits there (unless it's one of those annoying autorefreshing web sites).

Sense is just a skin on top of vanilla Android. It won't allow you to use "card view." You can multitask in Android by loading up apps.

Pressing the "Home" button pops up a menu that lets you select the app you want and it switches to that "screen." However, Android limits the number of simultaneous apps to six, and will close any app that either takes up too much RAM or goes over the six-app limit. webOS, in contrast, gives you the choice to close a card or two when you're hitting the hardware limits.

It's clunky, but it works once you master all of Android's eccentricities. However, basic Android multitasking is the same on Sense and non-Sense devices (and that ain't nonsense).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast