Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I really hate to be the one to start this thread, but I'd love to hear some convincing evidence that I'm crazy. I'm going on my 6th Palm Pre, and I was a day one owner. I waited in the line outside my local sprint store to get my hands on this thing, and I wish I could say that almost a year later I still have the same sentiment towards it I did when I first got it.

I love webOS, and have no doubt that with how flexible and scalable it is, it is undoubtedly the best mobile OS out there. I somewhat dread the thought of leaving webOS, but I just can't handle this hardware anymore. I need something more reliable... I'm sick of having to replace my phone every couple of months because of something like a power button failing, or my phone oreo-ing so bad that I can't stand it. This will be my 3rd device from a failed power button (and the replacement I received was defective as well, separate issue though). The other day my power-plug door broke off (and I hardly even use it, I have a touchstone!).

I'm really digging this new EVO, and since I live in a 4g area, I'm strongly considering snatching it up. I guess Palm has until the EVO comes out to at least announce a new phone. I've always been the type of person to stay on the cutting edge of technology, and unfortunately, the Pre has just fell behind with it's current hardware.

Anybody else in the same boat I am?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    I have had a couple myself, but recently i was charged about 500 bill so i ported my number to pocket and was able to flash the pre well they flashed it for me at the store. I didnt like the service so i transferrred back to sprint but my phone will not catch their network now I dont know what to do. I mean i cant even use it with pocket cuz i restored to factory with webos doctor and cant get past the sign in profile screen.
    A good amount of people are. This is probably the 50th thread about "I'm getting an EVO if Palm doesn't release a new phone"...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    A good amount of people are. This is probably the 50th thread about "I'm getting an EVO if Palm doesn't release a new phone"...
    I've seen a couple, but didn't realize that many people were in the same position I was. Given the amount of attention the EVO is getting over Palm's hardware, do you think it will have an impact on Palm if a good amount of people are showing interesting in moving away?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    I've seen a couple, but didn't realize that many people were in the same position I was. Given the amount of attention the EVO is getting over Palm's hardware, do you think it will have an impact on Palm if a good amount of people are showing interesting in moving away?
    I'm sure it will have an impact on Palm. Not really that much though. The EVO looks like it's going to an amazing device, except that it runs on Android... I don't think I could ever leave WebOS
    Nope,i'm not knocking you down but you really think you won't find other ph
    one, with some problem or another. I know it's frustrating changing devices every other month or so,but remember that they are gadgets and they do sometimes come with fault. I wish you all the best when you get your evo phone,inwhich I hope you won't find any problem at all. For me I stick with things through good times and bad. I hope you find what you're lookin for. :-)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Amen to that. And, I agree, losing the awesome OS would be tough, but maybe Palm can get their lineup together for 2011 and I can come back when it's ready. In the meantime, I just need something more stable (hardware only).
    not bored yet. Just today the homebrew crew solved the aGPS issue. Life here is too exciting around here.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Nope,i'm not knocking you down but you really think you won't find other ph
    one, with some problem or another. I know it's frustrating changing devices every other month or so,but remember that they are gadgets and they do sometimes come with fault. I wish you all the best when you get your evo phone,inwhich I hope you won't find any problem at all. For me I stick with things through good times and bad. I hope you find what you're lookin for. :-)
    Trust me, I feel like this is the hand I've been dealt. I've had several Palm phones, and the reason I stuck with them was because of their reliability. My old Treo's were built like bricks. I literally was never afraid to drop one of those, they always were rock solid, and I never had any problems. I don't think I ever had to return a Treo due to it lacking sufficiently built hardware.

I know other devices will have issues, but I'd rather the issues be software-related on an open-source platform that can be adjusted (much like what Preware has done with the Pre).
    Amen to that. And, I agree, losing the awesome OS would be tough, but maybe Palm can get their lineup together for 2011 and I can come back when it's ready. In the meantime, I just need something more stable (hardware only).
    With HP's financial backing, we should be seeing some amazing WebOS phones in the future
    if you hated to be the one to stat this thread, why did you start it?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you hated to be the one to stat this thread, why did you start it?
    Because, this is a forum, and people discuss things on forums. I'm discussing how I'm upset that I feel like I have to leave webOS to get away from shotty hardware and replacing a phone every couple of months. Does that not make sense to you?

And obviously you didn't read the original post if you thought this was about boredom. I'm far from bored with webOS.
    No, still on my original.
    Because, this is a forum, and people discuss things on forums. I'm discussing how I'm upset that I feel like I have to leave webOS to get away from shotty hardware and replacing a phone every couple of months. Does that not make sense to you?

And obviously you didn't read the original post if you thought this was about boredom. I'm far from bored with webOS.
    I read the post. My point was taht you started it with "I hate to be the one" which is sort of like starting off by saying "to be honest with you" which implies that you normally aren't...

and there must be 50 threads like this, so perhaps you should have "hated to be the one" a bit harder...

...just saying'
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I read the post. My point was taht you started it with "I hate to be the one" which is sort of like starting off by saying "to be honest with you" which implies that you normally aren't...

and there must be 50 threads like this, so perhaps you should have "hated to be the one" a bit harder...

...just saying'
    I think you need to focus more on using spell-check than trolling the forums looking for posts to be a dlckhead in.

Your analogy is horrible. Go find another post to act like a 3 year old in.
    Last edited by mfive; 05/09/2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarity
    Anybody else in the same boat I am?
    i agree 100%.. if something big doesnt happen by time the EVO's released, im gone.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klubhead View Post
    i agree 100%.. if something big doesnt happen by time the EVO's released, im gone.
    I would even hold off on getting a new phone if I at least knew of a timeline, specs, or some glimpse of new hardware to tide me over. I just hate the unknowns of when and what, while it seems like other companies are surpassing us while we sit by with faulty hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by kr8toz619 View Post
    I have had a couple myself, but recently i was charged about 500 bill so i ported my number to pocket and was able to flash the pre well they flashed it for me at the store. I didnt like the service so i transferrred back to sprint but my phone will not catch their network now I dont know what to do. I mean i cant even use it with pocket cuz i restored to factory with webos doctor and cant get past the sign in profile screen.
    Use Meta-Doctor to get past the activation screen. Turns your Pre into a Wifi PDA.

For those thinking about the EVO:
    - Every phone has it's faults and this one will be no exception
    - Don't live up to the hype. Once the hype dies, you might regret buying it.
    - Truthfully, you might be so accustomed to WebOS that Android will be painful. I'm not kidding either. I messed with my friends Android which was neat at first since it was different, but it was painful in actually usability.
    - WebOS 2nd Gen?
    - Once you buy the EVO, there is just gonna be another gadget that will be more prestige than your brand new precious.

This has happened with Droid, Hero, Moment, Nexus One, and now the EVO. Same process over again.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Goodbye to you and anyone else who feels the same. We know you will be back. Enjoy throwing money away on an OS that will not be able to compare.

I am on my original Pre and I love it!! There are some features that I miss that my Treo had, but the OS is awesome! I agree with the person that said their Treo is built like a brick. My Treo 755p had been dropped SO many times and had no signs of damage. I have already dropped my Pre a few times and almost had a heart attack each time, but it works the same. I'm sticking with Palm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast