Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ... that it is developing one of its own.

Report: Apple developing a Flash alternative | Apple - CNET News

The technology, called Gianduia, was introduced by Apple last summer at its World of WebObjects Developer Conference, according to an AppleInsider report. Gianduia is described as being "a client-side, standards-based framework for rich Internet apps."

Apple has apparently been using Gianduia in several of its retail support applications, including services such as the One to One program, the iPhone reservation system, and the Concierge program for Genius Bar and Personal Shopping reservations.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Theyre not opposed to what flash does, They're opposed to what it does to their systems.
  3.    #3  
    That's what they claim, but it's BS. No plugin causes more crashes on more systems than Apple's own QuickTime.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    That's what they claim, but it's BS. No plugin causes more crashes on more systems than Apple's own QuickTime.
    +1 for this, I made the mistake of installing it on my win7 machine, now I cant get it back off. It refuses to die!
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
  5.    #5  
    QuickTime is Good Proprietary, because it's from Apple. Any crashes it causes are Windows 7's fault.

Flash is Bad Proprietary, because Apple doesn't like it. Any performance problems it has aren't because Apple withheld API access on the Mac OS, but because Apple says it's bad. :P
    Totally agree, quicktime was garbage when it first came out and it still is garbage now.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    "Theyre not opposed to what flash does, They're opposed to what it does to their systems."

"Theyre not opposed to what flash does, They're opposed to what it does to their systems."

"Theyre not opposed to what flash does, THEY'RE OPPOSED TO WHAT IT DOES TO THEIR SYSTEMS."
  8.    #8  
    Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true.
    I'm not trying to defend apple, but they can do whatever they want with the hardware and software they make. If they don't want to use flash they don't have to. People have other choices. And If people go to other things then apple has no choice but to give the people what they want.
  10.    #10  
    Part of the problem is that Apple is depriving people of choice, ex post facto. For instance, if you're a developer (or user) who depended on Flash transcoding and got your apps running, Apple has pulled that option after all your investment.

And then lied about it, claiming that the apps that ran very, very well (including MTV's popular South Park app) are "buggy and unstable."
    I see what your saying, but it is their hardware and like I said before they can do what they want. And I know people put alot of resources into their app for apple. But they still have choice, Webos, Android, Nokia os's, windows. That would be the real way stick it to apple.
    Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true.
    So where are these stats for the frequency of QuickTime crashes on OS X?

I'm also still wondering which Java VM you're running on your Pre, by the way.
  13.    #13  
    Why are we discussing OS X? It runs on less than 2% of the world's computers. Might as well throw Amiga OS in there while we're at it.

As for which Java VM I'm running on my Pre, I'm running the version built into webOS. You are aware that most of webOS is written in Java, right?
    Because Urkel's point was that Flash runs poorly on OS X. You responded with something about QuickTime crashes which is absolutely not the case on OS X.

Which Java applications do you run on webOS?
  15.    #15  
    So Apple has banned Flash on OS X? Coulda fooled me. Last time I checked, Flash was running fine on the Macintosh.
  16.    #16  
    So let's review Apple cultist logic.

Flash is (allegedly) horrible on OS X but created hundreds of excellent iPhone apps.

So the solution is to facilitate development on OS X, but ban Flash on the iPhone.

Yeah, that makes lots of sense. :eyeroll:
    You're wacky.

Macs run an operating system called OS X. iPhones run an operating system called iPhone OS. iPhone OS is derived from OS X. Apple banned Flash from iPhone as a result of its performance on Macs.

Still waiting on that list of Java applications you run on webOS, by the way.
  18.    #18  
    Please name a single one of the hundreds of Flash-based iPhone apps that didn't run properly, prior to Apple's ban.
    why is it that you always are on here bashing Apple? go to the iphone blog and rip Apple over there i dont care about your thoughts on Apple.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  20.    #20  
    Then don't read the "cross platform chat" section, if you don't want to read about cross-platform issues.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast