Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 204
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Enjoy that while it lasts because Skyfire did nothing but find another another hole which Hulu will soon plug.
    I will, and as they try to block it someone will figure out how to unblock it and so on.....
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Well obviously your expectations are low enough it doesn't bother you but I noticed it immediately. And nothing you say will change that fact. And as far as I'm concerned, the fact that you own an iPad puts you very low on my credibility list.
    Who's low on the "credibility" list here? You're the one defining someones credibility by their choice of software/hardware. That's pretty ridiculous.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I never said it was a mobile site. Please read and try to understand what I wrote before spouting off.
    You said this
    the iPad is redirected to an iPad compatible site
    What iPad compatible site are you talking about?
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Image: PreCentral Forum Page w/Titles
    Image: PreCentral Forum Page (MOBILE VERSION)
    1) iPad screenshots are 8-bit 72dpi. So absolute clarity is better on the actual device.
    2) "the more you zoom in the better they'll look" is exactly the point. This is a MOBILE DEVICE.
    .

    If the iPad is a mobile device then we might as well call the netbook one as well. And even at the native res. where fonts tend to be tiny, a netbook will run circles around an iPad in terms of clarity.

    I think the iPhone/Pre screen aren't as good as the droid screen. But you can't expect people to believe you read desktop versions of websites on the Droid WITHOUT ZOOMING. Whether it's a 3.2" Pre, 3.7" Droid or 9.7" iPad, these are handheld mobile device that require user interaction in order to zoom on to what you are reading. I'm fine with a differing opinion about the readability of the screenshot you requested, but I think acting as if you expected to be able to read a desktop website on a mobile device without zooming.
    Are you really trying to group the iPad and smartphones with less than half the screen real estate into one group? Yes the Droid's is so sharp that completely zoomed out the text is still readable. The Pre is actually pretty close to the Droid and only needs a little bit of zoom. The iPhone is the worst of the three and the iPad should require little to no zoom for someone with normal eye sight.



    Okay, well I'm off to the Toyota dealer. I have no interest in buying one but I just wanted to prove to the salesmen that my Honda is better. I can't wait to shove my personal satisfaction with a product they dont care about right into their stupid faces.
    One doesn't need to want something to have an opinion. This is a tired argument you seem to be stuck on. And it took me all of 2 hours to get a feel for the iPad and its underwhelming features.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You said this

    What iPad compatible site are you talking about?
    I already explained it above and I dont feel like repeating myself. Anyway how did that get translated by you into 'mobile site' again?
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Who's low on the "credibility" list here? You're the one defining someones credibility by their choice of software/hardware. That's pretty ridiculous.
    It tells me you're gullible and will lower your expectations and defend anything with an Apple logo. I know your type very well.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I already explained it above and I dont feel like repeating myself. Anyway how did that get translated by you into 'mobile site' again?
    Um, again you have not answered the question. The CNN site was not a iPad specific site. Nevermind, its tough to discuss anything logically with you.
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, again you have not answered the question. The CNN site was not a iPad specific site. Nevermind, its tough to discuss anything logically with you.
    I already know what the logic behind his thinking was. Due to the fact that CNN and other major websites are now pushing standard-based sites, that must make them "tailored" towards the iPad.

    Even though HTML5 and H.264 videos has absolutely nothing to do with the iPad, other than the iPad supports it (along with every other _modern_ browser and device).
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Are you really trying to group the iPad and smartphones with less than half the screen real estate into one group? Yes the Droid's is so sharp that completely zoomed out the text is still readable. The Pre is actually pretty close to the Droid and only needs a little bit of zoom. The iPhone is the worst of the three and the iPad should require little to no zoom for someone with normal eye sight.
    Just to be sure, you're actually postulating that the Pre and the Droid are comparable even though the Droid has 2.7 times more pixels than the Pre?

    And your also claiming the Pre is much better than the iPhone even though its screen resolution is identical?

    No wonder people throughout this thread are questioning your credibility - your statements defy logic.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Just to be sure, you're actually postulating that the Pre and the Droid are comparable even though the Droid has 2.7 times more pixels than the Pre?

    And your also claiming the Pre is much better than the iPhone even though its screen resolution is identical?

    No wonder people throughout this thread are questioning your credibility - your statements defy logic.
    Um, while screen res. does play a role in how crisp text looks, it's not the be all end all. The font resolution, the program doing the rendering and how tightly the pixels are packed together all play a role in how crisp text looks. Put the iPhone and the Pre side by side and you will notice a big difference although they have the same res. Try again.
    Last edited by darreno1; 05/12/2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  11. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    If the iPad is a mobile device then we might as well call the netbook one as well.
    Definitely. There's a reason why they're called "Netbooks" rather than "10" Notebooks" and, for the most part, any device with a sub 11" screen and less than a 1280x resolution isn't meant to give the user the full blown desktop experience. Netbooks (running Win7) are great and Im a big fan of them, but to expect the same performance out of a Netbook, iPad, Dell Steak or Pre is foolish. These are devices where sacrifices were made in order to be more portable.

    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    And even at the native res. where fonts tend to be tiny, a netbook will run circles around an iPad in terms of clarity.
    I've never owned a Netbook over $250 so I'm genuinely curious what model you are speaking of that has such high quality screens. I find the 10" iPad screen to be crystal clear so I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison to the model you prefer since I'm buying a netbook for my mom this month.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/12/2010 at 07:25 PM.
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Definitely. There's a reason why they're called "Netbooks" rather than "10" Notebooks" and, for the most part, any device with a sub 11" screen and less than a 1280x resolution isn't meant to give the user the full blown desktop experience. Netbooks (running Win7) are great and Im a big fan of them, but to expect the same performance out of a Netbook, iPad, Dell Steak or Pre is foolish. These are devices where sacrifices were made in order to be more portable.
    Considering the price for an iPad, I expect better, sorry.

    I've never owned a Netbook over $250 so I'm genuinely curious what model you are speaking of that has such high quality screens. I find the 10" iPad screen to be crystal clear so I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison to the model you prefer since I'm buying a netbook for my mom this month.
    It really doesn't matter which netbook you try. You see, the problem is not only the screen size or quality, but the font type and how they're rendered in the OS. Zoom out on both on the same webpage and I can guarantee the Netbook will look clearer. And by zoom out I mean 100% (normal zoom).
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Considering the price for an iPad, I expect better, sorry.



    It really doesn't matter which netbook you try. You see, the problem is not only the screen size or quality, but the font type and how they're rendered in the OS. Zoom out on both on the same webpage and I can guarantee the Netbook will look clearer. And by zoom out I mean 100% (normal zoom).
    Despite all these "short-comings" that you claim and boast about, the iPad has sold beyond anyone's initial predictions. Store's can't keep them instock, and even the first batch of UK pre-orders are sold out and pushed back the delivery date for new orders.

    I guess it's just all those Apple "cultists" … must be a lot of them!
  14. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #174  
    Since darreno1 is doing his standard question deflection then can someone else answer for him? He claims:

    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    It really doesn't matter which netbook you try. You see, the problem is not only the screen size or quality, but the font type and how they're rendered in the OS. Zoom out on both on the same webpage and I can guarantee the Netbook will look clearer.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    a netbook will run circles around an iPad in terms of clarity
    So does anyone have personal experience with a specific model? I've owned a few netbooks (hackintosh, XP, Win7) which had adequate screens but none really stood out to me. So I'm curious as to how the netbook screen offers higher clarity because so far I'm thinking the iPad screen was pretty good.
  15. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Since darreno1 is doing his standard question deflection then can someone else answer for him? He claims:
    Deflection? I basically told you to try any of them. Since you own an iPad. Take it to any BestBuy or CompUSA, walk up to the first netbook you see, go to any website making sure the netbook is in its native resolution and compare them. I'd do it if owned an iPad.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Despite all these "short-comings" that you claim and boast about, the iPad has sold beyond anyone's initial predictions. Store's can't keep them instock, and even the first batch of UK pre-orders are sold out and pushed back the delivery date for new orders.

    I guess it's just all those Apple "cultists" must be a lot of them!
    Considering the months of hype, the large iPhone user base and the official sales figures, I'm not that impressed with its sales to be honest. I'm still convinced once the hype dies down, Google and other players release their competing devices and the guinea pigs realize its shortcomings, it's going to only see moderate sales at the most. I could be completely wrong though, and with Apple's marketing genius, anything's possible. We'll see.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Considering the months of hype, the large iPhone user base and the official sales figures, I'm not that impressed with its sales to be honest. I'm still convinced once the hype dies down, Google and other players release their competing devices and the guinea pigs realize its shortcomings, it's going to only see moderate sales at the most. I could be completely wrong though, and with Apple's marketing genius, anything's possible. We'll see.
    You want to talk about shortcomings? Google's previews of the new ChromeOS so far hasn't given ANY insight as to having the ability to run native applications. It entirely web-based. Given Google's current run of product releases, I don't expect too much; their latest product releases have been pretty much fail.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You want to talk about shortcomings? Google's previews of the new ChromeOS so far hasn't given ANY insight as to having the ability to run native applications. It entirely web-based. Given Google's current run of product releases, I don't expect too much; their latest product releases have been pretty much fail.

    Android is far from fail. And everything so far I've read about Chrome OS has been mainly speculation. Though, what little I've seen of the Android tablets to come have been very promising. They already seem like a better value compared to the iPad.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Android is far from fail. And everything so far I've read about Chrome OS has been mainly speculation. Though, what little I've seen of the Android tablets to come have been very promising. They already seem like a better value compared to the iPad.
    We agree on something, Android is far from fail, but I was more or less referring to Wave, Buzz, etc. that just recently launched.

    I don't have high hopes for ChromeOS (as everything thus far has indicated it's web only), I do however have my eye on an Android tablet but think we're still a year or more out from seeing anything worthwhile.

    The applications, solid OS, and hardware is what sets the iPad from the rest. It's insane I can go > 2 days on it without having to worry about a charge.
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Android is far from fail. And everything so far I've read about Chrome OS has been mainly speculation. Though, what little I've seen of the Android tablets to come have been very promising. They already seem like a better value compared to the iPad.
    Our bigger issue with the Android implementation is the lack of access to the Market. Yes, because of Google's restrictions the 7 doesn't have access the 50,000 apps designed for the operating system. Instead Archos has gone and created its own AppsLib store, which only has 1,000 approved apps at the moment.
    The Archos 7's 600MHz ARM 9 processor and 128 MB of RAM aren't the fastet combo, but they aren't the slowest either. Most apps take four to five seconds to open, but moving through menus isn't sluggish like we found on the Entourage Edge. Sure, the operating system supports running multiple applications and processes in the background, but we're not sure you'd want to. When simultaneously running Twitdroid, eBuddy and the browser the tablet was quite laggy.
    Archos 7 Home Tablet review -- Engadget

    It's when you start using the 10.1-inch Android tablet on the right side that the Edge shows signs of weakness. While the standard Android 1.6 apps are present and Entourage has also thrown in Docs to Go, the Edge doesn't support the Android Marketplace. Yes, this means no downloading your favorite Android apps, and yes, it sucks.
    The rest of the Android experience is also quite mediocre.
    Oh and while the company promises Flash Lite support, we couldn't get YouTube videos to play in the browser, and the YouTube app isn't preloaded.
    Yes, the Edge is a combination e-reader and a Android tablet -- it just doesn't quite work well as either. For $499 there are just too many issues with it, including its chunky body, skimpy e-book selection, frustrating touchscreen, poor battery life and lack of Android apps.
    Entourage Edge review -- Engadget
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions