Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Steve Jobs's memo dissing Adobe and their technology is most certainly a declaration of war. He's forcing his customers into his ****ing contest.
    This debate has ran it's course and is now beginning to lead in circles. We'll agree to disagree.
    << this video sums it up pretty much.

Edit: Good luck getting this to work in html5 in any sort of smooth way:

-Toaster
  3.    #123  
    I don't want companies telling me what technologies I "may not use" on my own hardware. I want support for EVERY technology out there so I can view all content. Right now, Apple doesn't give me that. I think most consumers, given the choice, will agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Video streams on all 3
    huh. Trying again now.
    I cant seem to get he video to work. I get a triangle with a white line through it. Cant get it to play.
    HTML5 doesn't yet exist on any mobile device (including Apple's own)
    I'm constantly (and pleasantly) surprised by how little you seem to understand about the things you wildly rant about.
  7.    #127  
    I never cease to be amazed by Apple partisans' ability to defend the indefensible.
    I never cease to be amazed by Apple partisans' ability to defend the indefensible.
    Do me a favor. Go to vimeo.com on your Pre and tell me if the in-line videos stream. Then go to scribd.com and tell me if you can load any documents within the Pre's web browser.
  9.    #129  
    Do me a favor. Stop trying to dodge the accessibility issue by taking selections from Palm's small list of temporary shortcomings and trying to use them to justify Apple's massive list of permanent shortcomings.
    LOL.

I love how you make incredibly ridiculous statements like "HTML5 doesn't yet exist on any mobile devices" then quickly change the subject when you're shown otherwise.

Never change, brmiller1976.
  11.    #131  
    How have you "shown otherwise?"

HTML5 isn't fully supported on any mobile device, including the hallowed Apple products. Saying that it is is like saying an HTC Android phone can play YouTube in Flash, so HTC supports Flash fully.

Kinda dumb, dude.
    Did you look at the two sites I asked you to check out? I just showed you examples of sites that offer content using HTML5.

Do you even know what HTML5 is?
  13.    #133  
    HTML5 is the next ostensible version of the HTML spec. It's not finalized and not expected to be finalized for another decade. It runs inconsistently on various platforms and is not supported fully (or at all) on most of them.

Flash is the current standard for content, and it's finalized. It's standardized across all platforms that support it today, including Android and webOS before the end of this year.

Hmmm... I'm a developer... which should I support?
    HTML5 isn't even completed yet, but even so HTML5 on a PC or Mac is MUCH better then any HTML5 browser on a mobile device I have seen so far. Also about HTML5 players I cant seem to get vimeo(html5 player) to work on my pre, and have you tried it on a PC? Use the full screen button its not even fullscreen because HTML5 CANT make anything fullscreen.

-Toaster
    HTML5 is the next ostensible version of the HTML spec. It's not finalized and not expected to be finalized for another decade. It runs inconsistently on various platforms and is not supported fully (or at all) on most of them.

Flash is the current standard for content, and it's finalized. It's standardized across all platforms that support it today, including Android and webOS before the end of this year.

Hmmm... I'm a developer... which should I support?
    See, this is you waving something shiny around to distract us from your ridiculous assertion that "HTML5 doesn't yet exist on any mobile device."

You can develop and consume content created with HTML5 on most desktop and smartphones RIGHT NOW. You can't do that with Flash. I would imagine that a developer would go with whichever option is more widely supported.
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You can develop and consume content created with HTML5 on most desktop and smartphones RIGHT NOW.
    No, I can develop and consume SOME content created with a limited subset of the beta spec for an incomplete HTML5 that might work on a few smartphones but isn't supported on most major desktop browsers RIGHT NOW. I'll have to recode most of my existing legacy content to whatever is going as HTML5 today (including forked proprietary spin-offs), as well as AGAIN for when they finalize the spec.

Or I can code in Flash and get every desktop machine out there, and most smartphones sold by the end of the year, concentrating on content creation rather than pointless wars over formats.

Tough choice.
    What projects are you working on right now that couldn't be completed using the "limited subset of the beta spec for an incomplete HTML5?" Which desktop browsers that don't support HTML5 are you targeting? IE8?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What projects are you working on right now that couldn't be completed using the "limited subset of the beta spec for an incomplete HTML5?" Which desktop browsers that don't support HTML5 are you targeting? IE8?
    HTML5 in chrome doesn't work the same as HTML5 in firefox. There are alot of HTML5 examples out there that ONLY work in chrome and some that ONLY work in firefox. This is cause its still a huge f'ing mess no matter how much you try to standardize it its a browser and as such each one is going to be a little different. Unfortunately that little difference can mean your website viewing really nice or really poorly. Almost all the mobile devices that support HTML5 support it in a very very limited way, not only that but HTML5 is pretty f'ing slow on mobile phones too. Don't believe me? Look here:

The performance on the iPhone is pitiful at best...

Edit: About poor performance on OSX look at what one of the flash dev's said:

michael chaize 30 days ago
    I know. Flash is not performing well today on MAC with HD videos. This will be corrected soon. Stay tuned. It's not due to Adobe's code. Apple needs to open the access to hardware acceleration. For sure they will.
    -Toaster
    Last edited by toasterthegamer; 05/11/2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Ok so I just came back from checking out the iPad. First I want I want say, form factor wise, it really did indeed strike me as being nothing but a large itouch. It was also heftier than I expected. The screen was bright, but for some reason it didn't seem as crisp as I'd have expected. Also the fonts weren't clear and crisp on close examination. They basically looked like the default, poorly aliased fonts a fresh Linux installation would have. To me it's more of a toy than a potential laptop replacement.

Ok so on to the web. I checked the sites I usually visit like wplg, wsvn, cnn, hp abc, espn, msnbc, several forums and some others. Cnn did function normally but it was obvious the site was made to be compatible with the iPad and maybe Safari on the Mac. I asked one of the so called 'geniuses' about it and he agreed, it was iPad friendly. Nbc also worked as well as MSN. However ESPN directed me to choose a mobile only or iPad friendly site and I believe CBS was mobile only. Wplg and wsvn both did not function well and required flash for the videos. Engadget of all places did not function and required flash. The video on hp.com required flash.

Several other sites didn't seem to render well in some areas and the fonts on many of the forums, including precentral looked a little crappy if I may use that word. This is certainly not something I'd want to be staring at for any length of time.

So it seems the iPad is more compatible with some of the major sites than even the iPhone but it's obviously not quite there yet and would be a mess for someone like me. I tried the same sites on the iPhone 3gs while I was there, and only CNN let me choose to go the desktop site which of course didn't work well, as flash is required for the video content. Most of the other sites were mobile only and didn't even have a choice to switch to the desktop versions. Seems like the iPhone users are still in the stone age when it comes to browsing the web. I whipped out my Droid in the store and all the little 'helpers' just backed away like it was kryptonite, it was the funniest thing to watch. I always get a kick out of visiting one of Steve Job's holy shrines.

So in conclusion, it is highly inaccurate to say the major sites are moving away from Flash as it is present on every one of those I listed in some form. It is just the major players, for the sake of revenue flow via advertising etc have no choice but to implement the same content in other forms so as to allow compatibility with some of Apple's products. Html 5 maybe this form but there was no way for me to know for sure. I accept the fact that eventually when Microsoft's IE and all other browsers are fully html5 compliant, everyone will start slowly inching away from Flash but it looks like it'll be here to stay for a while. Unfortunately Apple's biggest seller, the iPhone, is still being left out in the cold. Hopefully the upcoming OS update will help with the iPad friendly sites/html5 sites and iPhone users will be able to view the same content.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Translation: I wasn't going to buy one so I set my expectations as hig as possible.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast