Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    While you're at it, can you show me these sites working on the iPad?

Showtime's QD (cutting edge social comedy): Showtime - ***** Duck - Home

Moodstream (the best online inspiration driver): Moodstream™ by Getty Images

Waterlife (the award-winning documentary): WATERLIFE - NFB

HBO's web site: HBO

Bubblewood's concept store (France): BUBBLEWOOD - CONCEPT STORE - PARIS

I have a few dozen others, but I'd be satisfied if someone could show me how to view content in those sites, not just a few canned "Apple partner" sites.
    Considering those don't work in my browser (Chrome) I doubt they'll work on the iPad. And those aren't "Apple partnered" sites, they are sites that are standards compliant, big difference there captain.

Apple didn't define the standards (contrary to popular belief, I know).
  2.    #102  
    Chrome has what, 5% share?

They work great on my Firefox browser running on Windows 7 -- as do all the other sites you've shown.

So my choice is:

1) Use a device that requires sites to be rewritten to access the content;

2) Use a device that works with ALL the content out there -- "standards" based and otherwise.

Why are so many people intent on insisting that option 1 is better than option 2? Oh yeah, because their favorite company makes the limited, closed and inflexible option that forces them into option 1.

I'll enjoy option 2 -- all the web's content, today... while others wait months, or years, or forever to be able to access it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Considering those don't work in my browser (Chrome) I doubt they'll work on the iPad. And those aren't "Apple partnered" sites, they are sites that are standards compliant, big difference there captain.

Apple didn't define the standards (contrary to popular belief, I know).
    Considering all those videos work PERFECTLY on my google chrome browser, you obviously have no clue what you are talking about..

http://i.imgur.com/Q3mCZ.png

-Toaster

They work great on my Firefox browser running on Windows 7 -- as do all the other sites you've shown.

So my choice is:

2) Use a device that works with ALL the content out there -- "standards" based and otherwise.

Why are so many people intent on insisting that option 1 is better than option 2? Oh yeah, because their favorite company makes the limited, closed and inflexible option that forces them into option 1.

I'll enjoy option 2 -- all the web's content, today... while others wait months, or years, or forever to be able to access it all.
    My choice of browser has nothing to do with the sites listed above, it's my choice of not having Flash installed. Why? Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 10.00.36 AM.png <- Tired of that.

When I develop a site these days, I used technologies that are the STANDARD which ensures that whoever is viewing my site is viewing it as I intended them to (with the exception of someone using IE).

If a site forces me to use Flash, I'm not missing out as the experience would be below par for me anyways.

/rant

So my choice is:

You already have to do this with the current HTML. Stuff that you code in HTML in firefox does NOT work in IE and vise versa. Even chrome has problems with some html code that was written in firefox or IE or for any other browser really. So you have to setup stupid JavaScript tests to find out which browser they use and apply "fixes" to your code so they'll work in other browsers.. It's already a big f'ing mess.

-Toaster
  6.    #106  
    Great. So you choose to lock out a majority of the web's interactive content for yourself. That's a reasonable choice.

I want to view it. And I don't want the people who develop content to waste resources redeveloping it for an incomplete "standard" (HTML5) -- I'd much rather they put the resources towards new content.

I notice you're using a Macintosh. You should try a Windows 7 machine -- Flash works well on the standard platform and also allows you to view all content rather than a tiny sliver of Apple partner content. It's also a platform with a brighter future.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    You already have to do this with the current HTML. Stuff that you code in HTML in firefox DOES not work in IE and vise versa. Even chrome has problems with some html code that was written in firefox or IE or for any other browser really. So you have to setup stupid JavaScript tests to find out which browser they use and apply "fixes" to your code so they'll work in other browsers.. It's already a big f'ing mess.

-Toaster
    You want to take a quick guess as to why that is? I'll give you a hint ... it has a little something to do with standards.
    Great. So you choose to lock out a majority of the web's interactive content for yourself. That's a reasonable choice.

I want to view it. And I don't want the people who develop content to waste resources redeveloping it for an incomplete "standard" (HTML5) -- I'd much rather they put the resources towards new content.

I notice you're using a Macintosh. You should try a Windows 7 machine -- Flash works well on the standard platform and also allows you to view all content rather than a tiny sliver of Apple partner content. It's also a platform with a brighter future.
    I dropped Windows two years ago and have never looked back.
  9.    #109  
    Actually, seems to me that you dropped Windows two years ago and want the Windows content experience on your Macintosh, produced in your preferred content formats.
    Actually, seems to me that you dropped Windows two years ago and want the Windows content experience on your Macintosh, produced in your preferred content formats.
    Holy !@#&?! Are you serious? What the hell constitutes content as a "Windows experience"?! I have NO IDEA *** you are referring to.
    I have Chrome on Ubuntu...sites are working fine over here. Maybe it's just his Mac.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
  12.    #112  
    The Windows experience is, as Microsoft puts it, "life without walls."

It's nice.

I was a Mac guy years ago, and when I switched to Windows, it was very liberating.

Now I can just view anybody's content, and it just works. I don't have to make excuses about why my "superior" computer can't run Flash without crashing, or can't view various bits of content, or demand that service providers rework all their content just so I can view it.

I just turn on my PC, and, in Apple parlance "it just works."
    The Windows experience is, as Microsoft puts it, "life without walls."

It's nice.

I was a Mac guy years ago, and when I switched to Windows, it was very liberating.

Now I can just view anybody's content, and it just works. I don't have to make excuses about why my "superior" computer can't run Flash without crashing, or can't view various bits of content, or demand that service providers rework all their content just so I can view it.

I just turn on my PC, and, in Apple parlance "it just works."
    I was unaware that OS X was a walled garden (we're not talking iPhone here); the unstableness of Flash has NOTHING to do with Apple, just ask the Linux community what their thoughts are in regards to Flash.

Do you see the irony here? You're telling me you enjoy being free of 'constraints' yet you're telling me I have to be locked to a single platform to enjoy something to its fullest potential?

Fail.
  14.    #114  
    I'm not saying you have to be locked to a platform, I'm just saying you're not selling me on why I should abandon a robust and stable platform that runs and views all the content out there to adopt a failing platform that costs much more and only views a small fraction of the content out there.
    I'm not saying you have to be locked to a platform, I'm just saying you're not selling me on why I should abandon a robust and stable platform that runs and views all the content out there to adopt a failing platform that costs much more and only views a small fraction of the content out there.
    Please, do elaborate. With such a bold statement, I expect you to back this up with hard facts.
    You want to take a quick guess as to why that is? I'll give you a hint ... it has a little something to do with standards.
    Yeah and my point is flash is 99% more standard then anything else out there yet almost everyone I know says its not standard...

-Toaster
  17.    #117  
    Under 2% of the global market isn't a success.

The irony is, if you want access to the Flash content in a stable way, I'm sure Adobe would have been happy to work with Apple to develop a better flash player that uses Apple's proprietary APIs (sorta the way Flash for Windows uses Microsoft's advanced APIs). Then you could have what Windows users have.

Instead, Apple has declared war on Adobe and locked its own users out. That's not Microsoft's fault, nor is it Adobe's fault.
    Under 2% of the global market isn't a success.

The irony is, if you want access to the Flash content in a stable way, I'm sure Adobe would have been happy to work with Apple to develop a better flash player that uses Apple's proprietary APIs (sorta the way Flash for Windows uses Microsoft's advanced APIs). Then you could have what Windows users have.

Instead, Apple has declared war on Adobe and locked its own users out. That's not Microsoft's fault, nor is it Adobe's fault.
    Apple hasn't declared war against anyone. It's the media that coined it as such.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If a given choice does not exist does on any mobile device is it really a choice?
    That's something you should ask Apple. HTML5 doesn't yet exist on any mobile device (including Apple's own), but it hasn't stopped them from insisting a unproven "standard" that isn't even defined and finished represents a much better way to get things done than the Flash format that works just fine on the supermajority of Internet devices out there (plus lots of mobile devices including Nokia and various Android smartphones).
  20.    #120  
    Apple hasn't declared war against anyone. It's the media that coined it as such.
    Steve Jobs's memo dissing Adobe and their technology is most certainly a declaration of war. He's forcing his customers into his ****ing contest.