Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Ok, let's start with in wouldn't recognize my companies encryption policies. Or how about the UI is awful. Or maybe the fact that (last I checked) it was $20 a copy. If my company rolled out thousands of android devices (we have about 8500 iPhones now) how do we go about buying licenses for each and making sure all users are running the latest versions?
    If you own several different mobil devices because you have to support them at your company, that tells me workers at your company use them. If you have to support several different types of smartphones it tells me your company hasn't standardized on any one platform and that workers are allowed to use a device as long as it conforms to the company's security policies. In that case your company may not have to eat the cost of a Touchdown license.

And like I asked, when last did you use it? It's contantly being updated with version 6 just being released. Also it does support encryption. The UI is a subjective thing. I have had no issues with it.

Second, I will put the iPhone 4.0 email client up against any device, including the blackberry. Things likes multiple exchange accounts, unified inbox, fast switching between accounts, conversation view, support for public and self signed certs, enterprise level security policy and encryption. Blows away the Android experience.
    Hmmm, the fact that you have to mention iPhone 4.0 that isn't even out yet speaks volumes. Yeah after several years they're finally going to have a competitive exchange client, big whoop!
    Last edited by darreno1; 05/15/2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    If you own several different mobil devices because you have to support them at your company, that tells me workers at your company use them. If you have to support several different types of smartphones it tells me your company hasn't standardized on any one platform and that workers are allowed to use a device as long as it conforms to the company's security policies. In that case your company may not have to eat the cost of a Touchdown license.

And like I asked, when last did you use it? It's contantly being updated with version 6 just being released. Also it does support encryption. The UI is a subjective thing. I have had no issues with it.

Hmmm, the fact that you have to mention iPhone 4.0 that isn't even out yet speaks volumes. Yeah after several years they're finally going to have a competitive exchange client, big whoop!

Last used it maybe about 3 weeks ago (not sure). It's not a real alternative because it doesn't come with the OS.

My company has recently been making the transition away from Blackberries for mobile email. It started with a iPhone pilot. We found that of the original 500 pilot members who swapped out their blackberry for an iPhone, only about 5 asked to go back.

Recently, we been getting a few Android requests, so we purchased a bunch. What we found is the email client to be poor for enterprise level exchange. There are a handful of these devices deployed throughout our organization, but we have them syncing to a special server with less security requirements.

Maybe the 4.0 iPhone email client is finally "going to be a competitive exchange client", but we are still waiting for google to produce the same.
    If you have to eat the cost of TD, I can understand, but whether it comes with the OS or not doesn't seem like a good excuse for not using it. Many Blackberry users have turned to it because it's a 'real' alternative.

I do agree though, Google needs to focus more heavily on the Enterprise.

Couple quick questions about the 4.0 beta. Does it support message rules, native exchange folder management or global address searching?
    Last edited by darreno1; 05/15/2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    If you have to eat the cost of TD, I can understand, but whether it comes with the OS or not doesn't seem like a good excuse for not using it. Many Blackberry users have turned to it because it's a 'real' alternative.

I do agree though, Google needs to focus more heavily on the Enterprise.

Couple quick questions about the 4.0 beta. Does it support message rules, native exchange folder management or global address searching?
    Hmm, I would be very wary relying on a third party for your email needs if you are doing a large rollout. What happens if the developer stops putting out updates, is sold off, or has compatability issues with a new realease of the OS?

For android ever to be widely accepted in the enterprise, these devices must ship with a better email client built into the OS. With that being said, Google might not even be that interested with the enterprises right now.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011