Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    I recently got into an argument about the iPhone OS vs WebOS. As a Pre owner I did everything in my power to try and pulverize the iPhone. I used everything in my arsenal, saying things like it "can't multitask easily!", "has no cards!", "no gestures!" etc. Well the dude silenced me after explaining the wonders of Jailbreaking and I currently feel like a complete numbnut.

    I just jailbroke my iPod Touch and now have gestures, specific gestures that work on a lock screen, gestures that work in apps, gestures that pull up system tools, so many gestures, folders for my ton of apps, cards, apps that apple restricted!, wallpapers, and more. Add all of that with the stability of the iPhone OS.

    So I'm currently in a rut. I don't know if I should continue sacrificing with the Pre and all of its problems, or move on and sacrifice cash and a crappy network for the upcoming iPhone 4G.
  2. #2  
    the biggest differences to me are tthat apple actively works to prevent and reverse jailbreaking so every update brings much pain_ and they have to run on at&t. The lack of 3g coverage, dropped calls, and poor call quality...

    there is other stuff, and mosy people that appreciate the openness of linux really like webos. And the quality of what our homebrew community puts out is etter than most software companies.

    after almost 10 years as a customer, our house is an at&t-free zone...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the biggest differences to me are tthat apple actively works to prevent and reverse jailbreaking so every update brings much pain_ and they have to run on at&t. The lack of 3g coverage, dropped calls, and poor call quality...

    there is other stuff, and mosy people that appreciate the openness of linux really like webos. And the quality of what our homebrew community puts out is etter than most software companies.

    after almost 10 years as a customer, our house is an at&t-free zone...
    I really like the idea of WebOS. The hardware, the lag, the times where my phone resets by itself and takes about 5-10 minutes to turn back on, those are things I can do without. If I could dual boot WebOS onto the iPhone (similarly to the way Android can from recent news) I would feel a lot better about all the quirks. Right now, having a roughly 1 and 1/2 year old device is not amusing to me anymore and AT&T will have the iPhone probably until the end of 2012 so there's no point in waiting.
  4. #4  
    you have a pre that is 1 and 1/2 years old? Then you must have an old prototype, because they didn't start shipping until june 2009.
  5.    #5  
    I included the time starting from the announcement date which was January 2009.
  6. #6  
    well all those things the iphone can do on jailbreak can be done by the pre out of the box... and you can do more with homebrew...

    you know what? the best thing you can say, especially if you have used an ipod touch/iphone and say you have used both, you can always say you can never say one is better over the other if you have not used both, well most iphone users are blinded, that theirs is superior because thats what the majority have.

    or, it could simply be because, the iphone fits their style well
  7. #7  
    Honestly is there any network crappier than ATT?
    I went to an iPad demo yesterday and that was the first thing out of the apple reps mouth was how crappy ATT was.
  8. #8  
    Well, I'm currently using a jailbroken iphone and I have gestures and multi tasking and proswitcher which allows cards like on the pre. I can tell you my phone crashes constantly and the battery drains like crazy. There might be some program thats messing it up, but I can't wipe and re-install because apple broke the jailbreak in OS 3.1.3, so I would need to re-install 3.1.2, but iTunes won't allow me to do that. There is another way for me to hack 3.1.2 onto my iphone, but I just really don't feel like playing this game anymore with apple. I need a phone that, you know, just works like its supposed to out of the box and not with a million restrictions on it. One of the reasons I can't wait for the pre plus on at&t.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  9. philbw's Avatar
    Posts
    310 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    #9  
    I've got a good friend with an iPhone (went there from a Treo) and he's constantly going on about what his jailbroken iPhone can do. Just the other day though he said if he couldn't jailbreak in OS 4 that he'd seriously be looking at WebOS (should HP put out some new hardware). I have a feeling other iPhone power users would feel the same way.

    - Phil -
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Honestly is there any network crappier than ATT?
    I went to an iPad demo yesterday and that was the first thing out of the apple reps mouth was how crappy ATT was.
    I haven't used AT&T before but everything bad I hear about it comes from tech blogs and forums. I don't live in a heavily populated area like New York so I'm hoping service is better.

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Well, I'm currently using a jailbroken iphone and I have gestures and multi tasking and proswitcher which allows cards like on the pre. I can tell you my phone crashes constantly and the battery drains like crazy. There might be some program thats messing it up, but I can't wipe and re-install because apple broke the jailbreak in OS 3.1.3, so I would need to re-install 3.1.2, but iTunes won't allow me to do that. There is another way for me to hack 3.1.2 onto my iphone, but I just really don't feel like playing this game anymore with apple. I need a phone that, you know, just works like its supposed to out of the box and not with a million restrictions on it. One of the reasons I can't wait for the pre plus on at&t.
    Do you own a 3GS? Also, the Spirit Jailbreak is out now, it came out May 2nd. My iPod Touch was 3.1.3 and the jailbreak went smooth and easy. You do have to put the Spirit.exe into Windows 95/98 compatibility mode to use it. Spirit

    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    I've got a good friend with an iPhone (went there from a Treo) and he's constantly going on about what his jailbroken iPhone can do. Just the other day though he said if he couldn't jailbreak in OS 4 that he'd seriously be looking at WebOS (should HP put out some new hardware). I have a feeling other iPhone power users would feel the same way.

    - Phil -
    Yeah, if Palm came out with a slab developed by HTC first to hook the consumer, then introduced their own sliders and portrait devices, they really could have dug into the Apple base. Right now, HPalm needs to come out with something amazing to gain back momentum.

    I talked about this in another post but hardware should automatically be top of the line, even higher than the rumored iPhone 4G, but they also need to throw in some other new things like movement gestures with the use of a front facing camera or something crazy. I looked at the download stats of Proswitcher (Jailbroken Card App) and its close to 1 million downloads. That tells me people are not in awe anymore about WebOS Cards. They have it right on their iPhones now.

    Palm needs to innovate again. With the iPhone 4G coming, its actually too late, but if whatever is released dwarfs that fact that WebOS has 176,000 less apps than the iPhone and lacks a desktop hub like iTunes, Palm could get back on its feet.

    These commercials that are being released that finally show cards in action are way too late. These are the ads that should have been released right after it was announced Jan 2009. If I was HP I would conjure up a prototype powerful Slab of WebOS, and use that in commercials, give them to celebrities and just make the people go crazy about it. Maybe even lose one in a Bar the same way the iPhone 4G was.
  11. #11  
    The problem with jailbreaking is that Apple has remotely bricked legions of jailbroken phones in the past with new updates, and will likely continue to do so. Also, if your "additional functionality" stops working, you are stuck with a paperweight, since jailbreaking voids your warranty.
  12.    #12  
    @brmiller1976
    From what I gathered there are ways to wipe the device clean which would prevent Apple from being able to tell. But with the current Jailbreak for 3.1.3, the functionality is enough for me. With future updates one can always ignore them until the Jailbreak community has tested them out or comes out with a patched version. Jailbreaking isn't for everyone because there are many risks but if you're careful, read forums, reviews, and just don't over do it, things should work out fine.

    For my iPod Touch, I have the basics, a folder app, 3 apps that create multitasking with cards and gestures, a wallpaper app, SBsettings app, an app to keep wifi on, and I'm content.
  13. #13  
    I think you should always go with what works best for you, understanding all the risks involved. Sounds like you've done that, and a jailbroken iPhone/iPod works for you.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, my only problem now is AT&T and its greed. They make all this money from the iPhone but refuse to upgrade their networks and consider themselves worthy of charging $100+ bucks a month for crappy service.

    The FCC or whoever needs to seriously step in and either end this Apple/AT&T bond to help water down the iPhone pile up or force AT&T to improve. I seriously don't understand why Apple continues to give them exclusivity. I wouldn't even mind if Apple gave other carriers the older 3G and 3GS once the 4G came out. At least people could have some choice.
  15. #15  
    Apple does what's best for Apple, and claims it's in the user's best interest. That's one reason why I avoid modern Apple products.

    It wasn't always that way, but these days, if I go with an Apple solution, I never know if I'm going to be blindsided with some new policy that renders my investment unusable because of some arbitrary Apple decision. Very annoying.
  16. StevenX's Avatar
    Posts
    457 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #16  
    Having used a jailbroken iPod Touch for a few years, I'd say that jailbreaking makes little difference to my enjoyment of it. At its core, iPhone OS is still clunky, unintuitive and uninspiring I'd say.

    Having used the iPod Touch, I decided against getting an iPhone. I also replaced the Touch with a Zune HD.

    WebOS is a much more enjoyable everyday OS to use; it's just more fluid, interactive and "touchable," as well as being infinitely better to look at in my opinion. The iPhone OS push notification popups are one example of some extremely ugly UI elements which pain my eyes to look at.

    Sure, iPhone OS may have some flashy tricks and apps, but those are things you use only ocassionally on your device. I think it's more important to have the basics done well and miss the ocassional feature or app, and not the other way around (having an ugly and frustrating UI but tons of apps).
  17. #17  
    I think the iPhone is more intuitive than webOS, because it's simpler.

    However, intermediate users grow frustrated with its limitations quickly, which is what makes webOS desirable to them.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    well all those things the iphone can do on jailbreak can be done by the pre out of the box... and you can do more with homebrew...

    you know what? the best thing you can say, especially if you have used an ipod touch/iphone and say you have used both, you can always say you can never say one is better over the other if you have not used both, well most iphone users are blinded, that theirs is superior because thats what the majority have.

    or, it could simply be because, the iphone fits their style well
    Did you really say that?? The Pre has more out of the box than the iphone????? Are you crazy..hahahahahahahahahahaaa....lololololol thats a good one
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I think the iPhone is more intuitive than webOS, because it's simpler.

    However, intermediate users grow frustrated with its limitations quickly, which is what makes webOS desirable to them.
    i disagree with you webOS limitations are killing it ..... IMO
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
  20. #20  
    The iPhone in non-jailbroken form is a decent advanced featurephone or entry-level smartphone. However, it is significantly limited in comparison to webOS, yes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions