Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I don't want to turn this into an iPhone Vs Pre discussion, but if I had to do a research paper and I was given the option of using the Pre or iPod Touch over wifi I would pick the iPod Touch every time. There are so many things that Apple has had time to fix when it comes to the browsing experience for one. Copy and Paste, the simpleness of it speaks volumes.

I can copy & paste on my Pre as well but it turns into some kind of complicated execution. Slide out keyboard, hold down orange key, select text (hopefully it selects the right sections), hold down gesture area, now type C. That's sick. And while were on the topic of copy and paste the fact that Palm didn't pay someone to make a Word Processing App yet is another major failure. I've come to the conclusion that it probably just can't be done for some strange reason.

When Jon Rub said he never used an iPhone it really shows in this device. I mean you're supposed to learn from others failures, not ignore them or repeat them. He actually should have been fired for saying something like that. Every phone manufacturer should be tearing the iPhone apart piece by piece, studying the Jailbreak community, talking to avid iPhoners and more.

What was that quote Steve Jobs referenced, "Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal"
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I had my old iPhone jailbroken and its truly the only way to go with an iPhone. I loved the themes available and the extra features the community came up with.

That been said, having to re-jailbreak every time an update came out b/c Apple wanted complete control over a device I purchased with my money was enough to move me elsewhere. The apps I used were great, I liked the hardware, but in the end the OS UI grew stale, for me, after almost two years of ownership and Apple's attitude towards Jailbreaking was too much of a PITA to deal with.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I think the iPhone is more intuitive than webOS, because it's simpler.
    It may be simpler, but in areas it's simple to the point of being awkward and clunky.

A prime example is the way both OSes handle the Back operation. Whilst the Back gesture on webOS may not be immediately obvious to a newcomer to the platformer, when they know how to do it it becomes second nature, logical, and easy and natural to perform. It's in a convenient location, and is always easy to do.

The iPhone doesn't have a back gesture, and instead just has Back buttons within the apps themselves (usually). Whilst this is simpler to understand to a newcomer, it's actually not (in my opinion) a very graceful or well thought out solution. The Back button is almost always in the top left of the screen. The majority of us will hold our phone in our right hand, meaning to press the iPhones apps' back button, you have to stretch your thumb the whole way over the screen (if using one handed), often touching other items on the screen and generally it's quite cumbersome. You could use two hands, but then the interface is becoming jarring and unnatural.

Another example would be the push notifications in iPhone OS. When you're typing something out and get these ridiculously ugly notifications pop up and interrupt what you're doing and jolting you out of the experience of whatever app you're in, it can get incredibly frustrating. They're the equivalent to error messages and nag dialogs coming up in Windows. Here again webOS handles the matter much more capably. Notifications are simple, clear, intuitive and unobtrusive.

It's the little things like this, which form the basis of an OS and are the most frequently used operations, which make the difference, and this is why (IMO) webOS is infinitely more usable and elegantly designed than iPhone OS.
    biggest reason I didn't go with an iPhone is AT&T. Then you tack on no flash for the camera, too big to be a pocket phone, and Apple doing everything they can to keep you from maximizing your device, and it was a fairly easy decision to take the Palm PrPrPr&#$275$;.
    I'm an avid motorcyclist, and having one device that can serve many functions is a life saver. Can't begin to tell you haw many times I've used the LED Torch (Thanks J.R.) while on the road with the bike, the mirror comes in handy too
    I'm really appreciating this thread.
    Thanks so much for these comparisons.
    I'm with Att and have been debating iPhone or Pre.
    I'm leaning heavily toward the Pre.
    Just call me Berd.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    At least wait for the iPhone 4G to get released and reviewed. It will have flash, a front facing camera, faster chip, you can jailbreak it (at least beta version 1). WebOS needs stronger hardware for it to run correctly and we might see it Q4 if were lucky. I would only recommend a Pre if you joined Sprint to save dough.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    At least wait for the iPhone 4G to get released and reviewed. It will have flash, a front facing camera, faster chip, you can jailbreak it (at least beta version 1). WebOS needs stronger hardware for it to run correctly and we might see it Q4 if were lucky. I would only recommend a Pre if you joined Sprint to save dough.
    I would argue, at least wait until the next Palm phone comes out and is reviewed. It will likely have a faster chip, better build quality, better APIs, and you won't need to jailbreak it to customize it. Seriously though you can argue "the wait and see" approach with any device out there.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    My advice berdinkerdickle is to take a look at each device out there and make a decision based on what you prefer to use.

If you wish to have a compass built into the phone, voice dial/search features, a soft keyboard, and are willing to sacrifice "ownership" over the device in exchange for a large number of cool apps and nice hardware then the iPhone is for you.

If you want "ownership" of the device, a physical keyboard, and a sleeker and more free flowing UI experience and are willing to sacrifice having access to 100,000+ apps and a higher quality shell for the phone then get the Pre+.

Split the differences between the Pre+ and iPhone and you could choose any number of Android devices too.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I would argue, at least wait until the next Palm phone comes out and is reviewed. It will likely have a faster chip, better build quality, better APIs, and you won't need to jailbreak it to customize it. Seriously though you can argue "the wait and see" approach with any device out there.

My advice berdinkerdickle is to take a look at each device out there and make a decision based on what you prefer to use.

If you wish to have a compass built into the phone, voice dial/search features, a soft keyboard, and are willing to sacrifice "ownership" over the device in exchange for a large number of cool apps and nice hardware then the iPhone is for you.

If you want "ownership" of the device, a physical keyboard, and a sleeker and more free flowing UI experience and are willing to sacrifice having access to 100,000+ apps and a higher quality shell for the phone then get the Pre+.

Split the differences between the Pre+ and iPhone and you could choose any number of Android devices too.
    A phone that has been examined on gizmodo, will likely be released in June or July justifies a wait. Waiting for Palm and HP to get the buyout in order, HP deciding what they want to do with Palm, and Palm getting the time and money to develop a strong device will take months, it really should take a year if its done right, or they could always just throw together a prototype and sell it to the masses, and give us monthly updates like they did with our Pres and Pixies.

I suggest berdinkerdickle to wait until Apple's WWDC which starts June 7th. More concrete facts about the iPhone 4G will be announced compared to what Gizmodo showed. But seeing how he operates on a GSM Treo Pro, anything will do, lol. No disrespect berdinkerdickle . Actually that would have been my next phone after a Centro if Sprint didn't release the Pre.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Palm wasn't sitting around on their rear doing nothing before the HP buyout.

Palm have been working on a device before HP came along. And given the hardware quality issues of the Pre I'm willing to bet the hardware is an issue that is being addressed and was before the acquisition. Palm isn't reliant on HP to release their next device - maybe the cash to do proper marketing but not for the development of the device itself. The iPhone will likely be out before the next WebOS phone but I would expect a new Palm out in Q3.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Palm wasn't sitting around on their rear doing nothing before the HP buyout.

Palm have been working on a device before HP came along. And given the hardware quality issues of the Pre I'm willing to bet the hardware is an issue that is being addressed and was before the acquisition. Palm isn't reliant on HP to release their next device - maybe the cash to do proper marketing but not for the development of the device itself. The iPhone will likely be out before the next WebOS phone but I would expect a new Palm out in Q3.
    If any of what you're saying is true Palm will be delivering a phone they created with a limited budget in mind. That would mean another plastic device with minor updates to durability, a bump in the speed with the now standard snapdragon, and hopefully a better battery. They might even make the screen a little bigger. Unfortunately they most likely will be keeping the physical keyboard which will scare Android and iPhone customers away again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12