Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    This just popped up on BGR: BlackBerry Bold 9800 stars in video walkthrough Boy Genius Report

    OS doesn't look that bad too me. It looks like a blend of WebOS (gestures) and iPhone OS (how things open and cover-flow in the music player). It does support multitouch and even has a software keyboard for when you don't want to open the slider.

    Still looks like the software needs to be refined, but not a bad device by any stretch.
    Last edited by Complex Pants; 05/24/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    No Touchstone
    Powermat’s new Powerpak batteries – The best thing in wireless charging since magnetic induction!

    Touchstone still is awesome because it lets you use any battery you want, but wireless charging will soon be on every phone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  3. #23  
    yeah iphone has wireless charging now
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Ok, let me get this straight:

    It's a rip off but the hardware "looks" better than the Pre.
    No one knows OS6 but WebOS is better.
    You very much dislike copycats.

    If you're going to complain about the hardware or software at least have some supporting evidence. Feelings don't make a good case at all.

    Not sure where you're going with this but, as a side note, what does it matter if some other device "looks" remotely like the Pre?

    Did anyone scream copycat when the Droid variants came out and had similar dimensions to the iphone? Maybe a couple but nothing that can be considered serious.

    I did a quick search as the video link you posted had the video removed. Yeah, it slides but doesn't really look like the Pre at all unless, of course, you count a slider as Pre like.
    From my perspective this is validation that the vertical keyboard design that Palm used is still valid, and that Palm won't go out of business if they don't create a direct copy of the iPhone/EVO/whatever with a soft keyboard.

    In terms of hardware, I can assume their's will be great because they have such a fantastic track record. I had many more hardware problems and replacements of my Centro that I have had with my Pre, but Palm hasn't been known for amazing keyboards and durable hardware since the Treo. It's safe to say that BB will have excellent hardware, and it's equally safe to say that Palm's hardware will eventually get back to where it was with the Treo.

    On the BB-6 OS topic, I can assume they will learn a lot from competitors and try to use Android 2.2 as their starting point.

    However, they have two challenges that make me wonder why they didn't buy Palm instead:

    If they try to put a GUI on tope of the current BB OS, you will get another failure like the Storm/Storm2. It doesn't address any aspect of multi-tasking, touch navigation, etc.

    If they start over to create something that is optimized for touch, the internet, multi-tasking, etc, they will be just like Palm. Not quite starting from scratch, because they have lots of experience with creating a portable OS. But, it will introduce new complexity and paradigms that will slow them down.

    Just like Palm was able to leverage their deep knowledge of mobile OS, Contact/Calendar management, and synchronization to jumpstart webOS. RIM will have to leverage their incredible knowledge (and installed base) if email push and Exchange integration. No one does it better.

    Their strategy has to be to make sure that BB-6 works seamlessly with BB Enterprise server and has best-in-class email. They will retain or win back a lot of customers.

    Palm already understood touchscreens and some of the stuff I mentioned above. RIM is new to that, so I expect they will copy more from Android 2.2 than they do from Palm. I'm just glad to see other vendors offering the portrait keyboard like the Pre. Personally, I like my Pre hardware, and I am not interested in a giant slab with a virtual keyboard...

    MHO
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    yeah iphone has wireless charging now
    Except you need a special case to do it, and it adds bulk. Touchstone really has the most elegant solution in my opinion, but those powermat powerpak batteries are in second place and should be available for basically every major device (except the iPhone/iPad/iPod, suckers )
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. #26  
    @ Cantaffordit

    The one thing that vid shows that Palm needs to copy is the virtual keyboard. Having a physical keyboard and a VKB is the best of both worlds and makes it easier to market the phone to everyone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  7. #27  
    yeah but it's for iphone 3gs and with the new iphone comin out the might have the wireless thing down . ( no more bulk )







    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Except you need a special case to do it, and it adds bulk. Touchstone really has the most elegant solution in my opinion, but those powermat powerpak batteries are in second place and should be available for basically every major device (except the iPhone/iPad/iPod, suckers )
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    @ Cantaffordit

    The one thing that vid shows that Palm needs to copy is the virtual keyboard. Having a physical keyboard and a VKB is the best of both worlds and makes it easier to market the phone to everyone.
    If they came up with a webOS phone with a larger screen, I'd be all for it. I definitely have moments when I just want to type a URL or log in to a web site from landscape. I have every soft keyboard available in Preware and App Catalog, and none of them are worth anything at all. I can barely stand using a soft keyboard on larger screens, and hitting soft keys on the smaller Pre screen reduces my accuracy, and the need to copy/paste into an application... I am preaching to the choir.

    I've started using the patch that holds the orientation in place when the slider is open, and that let's me rotate for typing and watch the output 90 deg in the text box...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    This just popped up on BGR: BlackBerry Bold 9800 stars in video walkthrough Boy Genius Report

    OS doesn't look that bad too me. It looks like a blend of WebOS (gestures) and iPhone OS (how things open and cover-flow in the music player). It does support multitouch and even has a software keyboard for when you don't want to open the slider.

    Still looks like the software needs to be refined, but not a bad device by any stretch.
    To me, it looks like one of the best BBs to date. I had a Blackberry before, they really aren't as horrible as people think. And if you need one for work, at least RIM is now trying to make it more touch and media friendly.

    I do think that BB apps were a little expensive last time I used one though. When you have developers on other platforms selling for under $10 these days, that MAY be a problem.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/24/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    yeah but it's for iphone 3gs and with the new iphone comin out the might have the wireless thing down . ( no more bulk )
    The new iPhone 4 could have wireless charging, but I seriously doubt it. Apple has made it so the iPhone and iTunes are tightly interlocked. Apple wants you to plug into your computer and use iTunes to backup all your data. Unless the new iPhone OS 4 has wireless sync with iTunes, Apple is going to force you to plug into iTunes so that users don't have to think about syncing.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    To me, it looks like one of the best BBs to date. I had a Blackberry before, they really aren't as horrible as people think. And if you need one for work, at least RIM is now trying to make it more touch and media friendly.
    Hope they get this on Verizon - so far it's only been announced for AT&T. I noticed that OS 6's Webkit scored a perfect 100/100 with the Webkit test. Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I do think that BB apps were a little expensive last time I used one though. When you have developers on other platforms selling for under $10 these days, that MAY be a problem.
    They're in the same ballpark as iPhone, Android and Pre: A bunch of free stuff, a lot between $0.99 and $2.99, and a small number as high as $30.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    The new iPhone 4 could have wireless charging, but I seriously doubt it. Apple has made it so the iPhone and iTunes are tightly interlocked. Apple wants you to plug into your computer and use iTunes to backup all your data. Unless the new iPhone OS 4 has wireless sync with iTunes, Apple is going to force you to plug into iTunes so that users don't have to think about syncing.
    The same 3rd party wireless charger is available for the iPhone. It is part of a phone case and has the same metal block on the back...

    Amazing but true, I am seeing my iPhone friends buy them, ignoring the cost and size issues... But by golly they have their "touch stone killer"...
  13. #33  
    I don't feel this phone is a pre rip off. It is similar but most phones now look pretty much the same I'm sure there will be more vertical sliders by other manufacturers in the future. As for the Blackberry hate it's amusing. Blackberry makes a phone that is the best for receiving and sending texts and emails. The os is not nearly as refined as web os but it is gold standard for emails and texts. However I do think it's touch screen controls look sloppy compared to a pre. Maybe BB should to the trackball and touch pad phones.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    From my perspective this is validation that the vertical keyboard design that Palm used is still valid, and that Palm won't go out of business if they don't create a direct copy of the iPhone/EVO/whatever with a soft keyboard.

    In terms of hardware, I can assume their's will be great because they have such a fantastic track record. I had many more hardware problems and replacements of my Centro that I have had with my Pre, but Palm hasn't been known for amazing keyboards and durable hardware since the Treo. It's safe to say that BB will have excellent hardware, and it's equally safe to say that Palm's hardware will eventually get back to where it was with the Treo.

    On the BB-6 OS topic, I can assume they will learn a lot from competitors and try to use Android 2.2 as their starting point.

    However, they have two challenges that make me wonder why they didn't buy Palm instead:

    If they try to put a GUI on tope of the current BB OS, you will get another failure like the Storm/Storm2. It doesn't address any aspect of multi-tasking, touch navigation, etc.

    If they start over to create something that is optimized for touch, the internet, multi-tasking, etc, they will be just like Palm. Not quite starting from scratch, because they have lots of experience with creating a portable OS. But, it will introduce new complexity and paradigms that will slow them down.

    Just like Palm was able to leverage their deep knowledge of mobile OS, Contact/Calendar management, and synchronization to jumpstart webOS. RIM will have to leverage their incredible knowledge (and installed base) if email push and Exchange integration. No one does it better.

    Their strategy has to be to make sure that BB-6 works seamlessly with BB Enterprise server and has best-in-class email. They will retain or win back a lot of customers.

    Palm already understood touchscreens and some of the stuff I mentioned above. RIM is new to that, so I expect they will copy more from Android 2.2 than they do from Palm. I'm just glad to see other vendors offering the portrait keyboard like the Pre. Personally, I like my Pre hardware, and I am not interested in a giant slab with a virtual keyboard...

    MHO
    Ok, I guess. But it doesn't address the core questions I had. I was looking for a validation/qualification for those statements. Base it on something other than gut feeling.

    Any improvements in the design and functionality of smart phone handsets pushes others to do more of the same.

    Its apparent the vast majority do like the slab side phones with larger screens. The Pre may have a cutting edge design but does that necessarily make it completely desirable by the masses? Judging by the lack of Pre sales it's obvious it isn't.

    Maybe the larger customer base will warm to the design but when a co-worker the other day tells me, when I had the phone open; "Oh you got the Palm Compact with the mirror so you can do your makeup" this tells me people aren't taking it seriously.

    I'd like to see the next iteration of Palm's phone come out more slab sided with a larger screen. Otherwise they have until sometime just after June 4th to convince me to stay.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The same 3rd party wireless charger is available for the iPhone. It is part of a phone case and has the same metal block on the back...

    Amazing but true, I am seeing my iPhone friends buy them, ignoring the cost and size issues... But by golly they have their "touch stone killer"...
    I was referring to native wireless charging like the touchstone, but yea, the extra case is just a hassle imo. However, if I get a BB or an android device I will seriously look into the wireless charging batteries.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hope they get this on Verizon - so far it's only been announced for AT&T. I noticed that OS 6's Webkit scored a perfect 100/100 with the Webkit test. Nice!

    They're in the same ballpark as iPhone, Android and Pre: A bunch of free stuff, a lot between $0.99 and $2.99, and a small number as high as $30.
    They must have lowered their prices to compete then, because I remember $15+ apps, and only one or two $5-$10. That was before the Apple App Store though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #37  
    Big thing on this phone for a lot of folks is that is has a GSM Radio and can accept international SIM cards. So can use Sprint/CDMA here in states and you can either do international roaming on either CDMA or GSM and its various flavors (depending on where you be) or get a local SIM card to save big bucks.

    Since this is replacing the Tour, its the only Spring phone that can do this. (couple other sprint phones have GSM but they are all apparently "locked" to sprints SIM card)

    Getting one for my son for this reason since he is heading to china for 9 months.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They must have lowered their prices to compete then, because I remember $15+ apps, and only one or two $5-$10. That was before the Apple App Store though.
    Yep - that's all changed now. Go see for yourself in RIM's web-version of their App Store: Blackberry App World
  19. #39  
    Pre ripoff? Sorry, but Samsung did the vertical sliding smartphone first. So Palm copied Samsung. Samsung also made the nicest PalmOS smartphones of all time. Palm rarely gets things anywhere close to 100% right.

    the BB also has useful hard buttons and an optical trackpad. +2 for BB. +3 for the better keyboard and straightfoward and most likely more reliable design. Maybe it's all not the OS afterall.
  20. #40  
    wireless charging unfortunately doesn't do audio. So unless you have a BT audio setup you're still stuck with another thing to plug in unlike the iphone that can do charging and audio through a simple slide in dock. Really don't see how the touchstone is sooo much simpler. Plus you get a quicker charge with less heat via hard wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Except you need a special case to do it, and it adds bulk. Touchstone really has the most elegant solution in my opinion, but those powermat powerpak batteries are in second place and should be available for basically every major device (except the iPhone/iPad/iPod, suckers )
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions