Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not one of the people waiting for the WiMax (4G) phones, but what is your opinion?

Isn't the WiMax network a fee based network? Doesn't that mean you will have the provider (Sprint, VZW, ATT etc.) fees plus the WiMax fee for internet?
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    until is has the broad coverage of verizon 3g, and until there is a 4g hone with webOS, I'm staying with my Pre+
    I'm guessing that there will be another charge for 4G on top of the standard plans. I'm hoping that given it's Sprint, it'll be quite competitive. What I would like most about 4G isn't the speed, but the fact that it should allow us to talk and use data at the same time, just as we do with wifi. That alone would be worth some extra amount a month for me (say, $10-$20).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm guessing that there will be another charge for 4G on top of the standard plans. I'm hoping that given it's Sprint, it'll be quite competitive. What I would like most about 4G isn't the speed, but the fact that it should allow us to talk and use data at the same time, just as we do with wifi. That alone would be worth some extra amount a month for me (say, $10-$20).
    The full quote from HTC:
    “If you’re using 4G for data, you can’t use CDMA for voice. Currently the only way to do simultaneous voice and data would be through a third-party VOIP solution. However, this is not due to strict hardware limitations, so it’s possible this could change with future updates.”
    Hardware wise, this is the best Android handset that we have knowledge of. Does this rule the phone out for you? Are you willing to overlook this and jump onboard anyway? I think this will be a big seller for Sprint but not as big as it could’ve been. This problem wouldn’t exist if it was on T-Mobile, let’s hope Sprint has a fix for this or T-Mobile gets it later in the year. For all of our sake, let’s all hope that AT&T doesn’t get their handcuffs on it.

Update: Sprint says this is not entirely correct. They are still testing 4G and it may be possible with the 4G connection.

This was the last I heard on this, I hope down the road it proves to be false.

p.s. I want the speed of 4G and surf n talk abilities, not the evo. Only facts I have read about sprint 4G.
    Last edited by bdog421; 05/07/2010 at 08:55 PM.
  5.    #5  
    I believe it has always been a limitation set forth by the provider and ATT is currently the only one allowing data and voice simultaniousely.

I don't think Internet and voice at the same time is truely that important though... Now what I feel is important though is making the mobile Internet faster and voice more reliable... Now If 4G allows for this to happen then I am all for it.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I believe it has always been a limitation set forth by the provider and ATT is currently the only one allowing data and voice simultaniousely.

I don't think Internet and voice at the same time is truely that important though... Now what I feel is important though is making the mobile Internet faster and voice more reliable... Now If 4G allows for this to happen then I am all for it.
    I feel the same way, where as I never have been on the phone and wanted to surf the web at the same time really. Though according to wimaz specs it should be possiable due to EVDO will be used for voice, and Wimax for internet data but we'll see. Also as stated I heard that sprint will not be charging more for 4G, its even free with the overdrive currently.
    It has nothing to do with Sprint. It's a limitation of CDMA. The reason AT&T can do it is because they are on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I feel the same way, where as I never have been on the phone and wanted to surf the web at the same time really. Though according to wimaz specs it should be possiable due to EVDO will be used for voice, and Wimax for internet data but we'll see. Also as stated I heard that sprint will not be charging more for 4G, its even free with the overdrive currently.
    here, this will be a deal breaker for me.

HTC Evo 4G Expensive To Own, Sprint Leaks New Packages
    MONDAY, 10 MAY 2010 01:35 DARRIN MORTON

Sprint HTC Evo 4G plans
    Sprint has been silent about the 4G data plans offered with their first Android 4G phone, the HTC Evo 4G. However today we got a hold of some screenshots of an email Sprint has sent to all employees detailing the cost to own a HTC Evo 4G.

For starters, this rules out the original notion that Sprint would be offering the 4G service free of charge for the HTC Evo 4G until they got their coverage up to respectable levels. Furthermore there doesn't seem to be any mention of a discount for WiMax hotspot plans for the HTC Evo 4G, making one assume it will cost the same as their normal WiMax plans for other devices such as netbooks.

Below is what was mentioned in the email:

Special plans are being created for the HTC EVO 4G because it is the first dual mode 3G/4G phone offered by Sprint.
    When these plans are made public, prior to the launch of the phone, they will be included in this training
    Please stay tuned and watch for further communication about plan pricing through your organizationís standard communication channels.
    The Sprint Mobile Hotspot feature, which is explained in detail in the New Apps section of this course, requires an attachable plan code. This code carries a monthly recurring charge. The cost of this plan and the code itself will be revealed at a later time closer to the launch of the HTC EVO 4G.
    So now it looks like HTC Evo 4G buyers may need to pay separately for voice, 3G data, 4G/WiMax data
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I recently heard some bad news about wimax... enough that clear is going to be possibly dropping it...

I know that they are not paying bills either

http://www.onenewspage.com/news/Tech...drop-WiMax.htm
    4id you even read the story you referenced?? Nowhere did it state that...
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I am wondering if you read it

Clearwire also announced a change in its agreement with Intel — a leading promoter in WiMax technology — which locked the provider into using WiMax until November 28, 2011. The change will let either Intel or Clearwire leave the agreement with only 30 days notice. This opens up the possibility for Clearwire to utilize LTE, a competing 4G technology that AT&T and Verizon plan to adopt.
    I would love to have this phone, but there is very little chance i will be able to change my current plan. I have the simple everything plan and I'm wondering if "everything" includes 4G?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I'm still hearing from my contacts that only 4G hotspot service will be an additional cost.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    I'm still hearing from my contacts that only 4G hotspot service will be an additional cost.
    This is correct. There ill be a charge to use the hotspot feature and no one knows how much they will charge forit. They will not charge you to use the 4G service on your phone.
    ---Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, "Make me feel important." Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh32 View Post
    I recently heard some bad news about wimax... enough that clear is going to be possibly dropping it...

I know that they are not paying bills either

Clearwire announces 4G expansion free to drop WiMax : One News Page | Technology
    Update on that story

Clearwire sticking with WiMAX until at least 2012 -- Engadget
    Perhaps not the most appropriate forum for this, but has anyone noticed the geopgraphic locations in CA, according to Sprint's coverage from web site, that Clearwire has FIRST rolled out WiMAX (4G)? Visalia, Merced? The 46th and 98th largest cities, respectively, in CA. Am I missing something here? Were these just test locations before rolling out to the major population centers?

......eager for 4G
  17.    #18  
    Most likely test locations as most companies do not want to deal with to many issues before a major launch... They test small, work out the bugs and then go big... That just like Googles fiber optic internet to the homes... They started off small and will make sure everything works before going big.

In terms of 4G, Sprint uses WiMax, but Verizon will use LTE. Not sure about AT&T but I'm assuming they'll use LTE too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  19.    #20  
    4G is not impressive on a phone as all providers will limit bandwidth and all phones will need to be patched to remove that limiter, just as what is needed now on all networks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast