Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    So today my co-worker told me the story of how he went into a Verizon store to buy a Pre.

He goes and asks the sales rep if he could get the Pre, and the guy told him flat out "No" because the Pre "sucks at everything except web browsing" and then starts to talk about how amazing the Droid is .
    I feel like going to the store and acting like a new user trying to get a phone just so I can school this guy on what the Pre can do. I wonder if he ever even used it for man then 5 minutes.

On another note I am trying to convince my friend to go back and replace his droid for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    These Reps are few and far between. I don't think this is as bad as it used to be.
    would be good to record store address in this thread, thanks, so we can see what is the current trend (likewise if anyone else has had a recent experience at a verizon store, pls record ):
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    The store was in West Springfield, Ma
    well, obviously that Rep doesn't know what he's talking about.

That being said, after owning an android phone for 3 months, then using a webos phone for 3 months (both Pre and Pixi), if I were in that position I would take the Droid (well, now that the Icredible is here I would take that).

Android has become established, and one gets instant rewards, while with webos it's kinda like "investment" - hoping that it will arrive and become established.

For the average consumer (well, the power user type), I hate to say it, Android makes more sense at this point. Hopefully that can change with HP's backing, but that's still speculation, even if it's good speculation.
    I'm just not a fan of Android but the hardware on those phones is amazing.
    Yeah I like the *hardware* of many Android phones,, I just don't like Android itself

I don't see how a sales guy can say Android is better than webOS "at almost everything"
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    you guys lose sleep over this all the time ROFL
    If this stuff makes you ROFL, then you don't get out much and will apparently roll on the floor for anything.
    Tell the employee he sucks at everything but selling droids.
    I have an ***** friend who works at VZ corp and he is the same way... tries to shove Droid down everyone's throat.... I like Android... and always been a Moto fan since I came from Nextel...... but VZ brain washes idiots just like Apple... too bad the people they brain wash are very influential in selling phones!
    the browser sucks 2... This phone is officially has no use n e more.. Its EVO 4G time...
    When I was worried about Palm's pure ability to survive, this kind of thing bothered me. Now that webOS has a future backed by the largest technology company on the planet with a strategic need to succeed in the mobile space, I'm no longer concerned about one ***** Verizon rep. We won't see the impact overnight, but I'll bet by the end of the summer we'll all no longer worry about this sort of thing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    When I was worried about Palm's pure ability to survive, this kind of thing bothered me. Now that webOS has a future backed by the largest technology company on the planet with a strategic need to succeed in the mobile space, I'm no longer concerned about one ***** Verizon rep. We won't see the impact overnight, but I'll bet by the end of the summer we'll all no longer worry about this sort of thing.
    I'm with you although I'm not as optimistic about the roadmap as you are. If I'm not mistaken, the deal will only be finalized by the end of summer... I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing really only ceased in 2011. Which doesn't make all that big of a difference to me because I tend to think in the long term. But I sure wouldn't mind being proven wrong if you're proven right
    I love these threads. Lulz delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I'm with you although I'm not as optimistic about the roadmap as you are. If I'm not mistaken, the deal will only be finalized by the end of summer... I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing really only ceased in 2011. Which doesn't make all that big of a difference to me because I tend to think in the long term. But I sure wouldn't mind being proven wrong if you're proven right
    I suppose I'm basing my "end of the summer" optimism on two things:

1. I think that Palm will release their already-in-the-pipeline next-gen device in August or September, and that it'll be pretty darn good. And, this time around, they'll have real money to promote it. Carriers will treat them more seriously simply because of the strength of the HP-carrier relationship.

2. Maybe this will be stretched into the early Fall, but I also think we'll see pretty much everything we've been asking for--mic access in the SDK, better camera access in the SDK, the beginnings of GPU acceleration of the GUI, etc. With all of the other changes discussed at the developers meetup, I think we'll see much better performance, pretty much feature-complete capabilities, and maybe even better battery life (for real, this time).

Again, adding in the ability to promote far more heavily with HP's backing and not worry so much about merely surviving, and I think that Palm will be able to implement their own roadmap more quickly and effectively. Then, come early 2011, we'll start seeing the HP DNA get pushed into the platform and we'll just be downright ecstatic.

Oh, and, the deal will be finalized by the end of July. I'm using "end of summer" literally, meaning (I think) September 22 this year.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Meh. Let your friend have his droid. The only differencence is that when he finds something he isn't happy with he will know he should have listened, but if he goes back and gets a Pre then finds something he doesn't like he will blame you.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yea this doesn't really worry as much as before. It's just stupid for him not to even let him try the phone on his own. He came in looking for a Pre and was a bit excited to try because of what I showed him. I think he would of enjoyed the Pre but he never even got a chance to try it smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdigital777 View Post
    the browser sucks 2... This phone is officially has no use n e more.. Its EVO 4G time...
    I liked the EVO until I saw it had Android. No thanks!

The EVO has great hardware, but as soon as a WebOS Phone is released with hardware that's on par, it's not even debatable which is better.

How stupid will you feel this time next year when WebOS is on 2.4 and on shiny new hardware blowing the doors off phones with it's multitasking, synergy, huge library of 3D games and apps ported from the app behemoth iPhone?

WebOS > Android
    Have fun with fragmentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I liked the EVO until I saw it had Android. No thanks!

The EVO has great hardware, but as soon as a WebOS Phone is released with hardware that's on par, it's not even debatable which is better.

How stupid will you feel this time next year when WebOS is on 2.4 and on shiny new hardware blowing the doors off phones with it's multitasking, synergy, huge library of 3D games and apps ported from the app behemoth iPhone?

WebOS > Android
    Have fun with fragmentation.
    Shouldn't feel stupid at all. By this time next year, he'd be very near eligible for a full upgrade again. Evo 4G will be a bird in the hand by June. New Palm hardware or a signficantly evolved WebOS are just birds in the bush. "A huge library of 3D games" aint even that.

Even if one wasn't available for an upgrade, by this time next year, you'd be able to buy a Sprint Pre secondhand for peanuts.

I know some here react to the Evo as if they had an allergy, but for rational non-zealots, there is no reason not to at least kick the tires and see if it gets the job done for them. I'd be fine with either a WebOS or SenseUI highend device for my daily usage. I've manage to do pretty decent with both platforms' midrange offerings.

They each have their pluses and minuses, and neither is objectively "better" than the other. I can name plenty of things Sense UI can do that WebOS could really use.
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    not to be a "richard" but your use of the english language sucks also
    LOL I don't wanna be a "justin" but what is a "richard?"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast