Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's funny...most of the android bashers have just 'played' with a phone. If I played with webOS, I'd probably hate it too. Figuring out gestures, too many cards, bad keyboard and having to open the slider... Also 1.5 and Sense isn't much of a fair comparison. Actually use an Android phone running 2.1 and Sense. Take some time to customize it, and you'd probably sing a different tune.
    First, saying one doesn't like Android isn't "bashing" it. It's merely stating an opinion.

Second, I'm not an Android fan because I'm not a Google fan. Google couldn't really care less about smartphones and other mobile tech. Google just wants to sell ads. Nothing wrong with that as a business model, but it's also simply not what I'm looking for in a smartphone. I want to back a company that wants to sell technology that pushes the productivity envelope, which I know Palm wanted to do, but didn't have the resources for, and that I'm convinced HP has been doing for decades.

What I don't want to do is back is a company that wants to push people to Google properties to sell Google ads, or a company that wants to sell ever-simpler, limited function devices for consuming media content (you might be able to guess who I'm talking about). Both Google and Apple have incentives that will drive how they design their mobile devices (or, their mobile OS in Google's case) that just don't jive with what I'm looking for.

I think that HP will, for example, figure out how to put an active digitizer and a pen in webOS to support handwritten notes--a must for students, doctors, sales reps, etc., who need the ability to easily create content, not just consume it. Google doesn't have any incentive to do so, and Apple (or, rather, Steve Jobs) has already stated that they won't because of their haughty design sensibilities. HP will also implement advanced screen technologies (e.g., something like the Pixel QI screen) more quickly, and they have the cloud services infrastructure to actually make the Palm Profile concept robust and scalable.

In short, I liked Palm because they are focused on smartphones, and I like HP because they're a technology company first and an advertising and media distribution company not at all. I think that HP Palm will create more compelling devices (for me) than will Google or Apple. And so for me, my committment to HP Palm and webOS is really a long-term one where I recognize that I might miss out on some things in the short-term.

As far as webOS vs. Android goes, I do think that webOS is better fundamentally although it definitely needs work to become fully fleshed out. Then again, it's a version 1.X OS where Android is a version 2.X OS. And so, the comparison there isn't really very meaningful qualitatively, although it certianly will determine any immediate decision as to which smartphone one should purchase.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I would have agreed, responded "Damned skippy!"
    /bought pre for good browser phone
    //what more do you need than good browser, I ask you this as a loaded question... ?

If i'm not hard of hearing then all these future web apps are going to run on Bowser. That's why I keep buying Nintendo stock... the future of apps is in the final boss of super mario.
    Last edited by konsole; 05/06/2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Android OS is too cumbersome for me. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but not as simple as WebOS. As far as learning gestures, there is up, back and full swipe. Not too complicated for a new user.

As far as Verizon bashing the Pre, I understand that. Pre has a higher return rate than any other phone on their network and the lowest commission per unit. only makes sense for an employee to push a device that has better hardware and has a higher commission base per unit.
    I may or may not be classified as a "rational non-zealot", but IMO for busy people there's a very high energy barrier for switching platforms, especially once you've gotten things to work the way you need them to. I'm not switching from webOS unless I really have to! The Pre does everything I need, and the OS is elegant. Of course, there are things it doesn't do well. And there are apps that aren't available on webOS yet. But there are disadvantages to every platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdigital777 View Post
    the browser sucks 2... This phone is officially has no use n e more.. Its EVO 4G time...
    Goodbye
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Hey, we agree. Is this like the 2nd time in a month? If the Incredible is a good sign of what the Evo will be like. Add the larger screen, 4g, hdmi out and hotspot and we're talking a damn nice piece of equipment. If people take the time to read some reviews of the Incredible, all the reviewers go over the tweaks Sense brings to Android. It's a long and deep list. Does make you wonder what they could do with their own OS or better yet, what they could've done with webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Some people don't want to give it a chance. That's fine. Like I said, I like having my cake and eating it too. I enjoy both. No reason to be partisan.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    There is something to be said for tweaking something to your liking. But your point also makes the point of the Android haters who have just "played" with it. They never made it their own. They didn't customize and tweak to get it just right before making a judgment on it. So those opinions really carry zero weight.

Your point at least makes sense. You get comfortable with something, there must be a damn good reason to leave that comfort zone for something new with a whole new learning curve even if it is a relatively small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I may or may not be classified as a "rational non-zealot", but IMO for busy people there's a very high energy barrier for switching platforms, especially once you've gotten things to work the way you need them to. I'm not switching from webOS unless I really have to! The Pre does everything I need, and the OS is elegant. Of course, there are things it doesn't do well. And there are apps that aren't available on webOS yet. But there are disadvantages to every platform.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If this stuff makes you ROFL, then you don't get out much and will apparently roll on the floor for anything.
    I think his point was some of you need to get a life and quit worrying about a Verizon rep dissing the Palm, it is Palms job to sell their phones. If they had done their job and sold this rep on the Pre, he would not be dissing it. Palm has down a terrible job at promoting their products and have payed the price.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The people with negative opinions of Android in general base their opinions on minutes of "play" with the device. They don't own them, they don't take the time to customize and tweak them to their liking, yet they just say they hate it.
    You're giving these people too much credit by saying these opinions are based on any usage.. These are knee-jerk reactions based more on defensiveness.

There's basically one thing where WebOS has a big advantage. Multitasking. But outside of that then everything else "great" about WebOS has an equal or superior version available on another platform. So what is a person going to do when they run out of things to brag about? Start tearing down the competition in hopes that if the bar is lowered enough then WebOS can finally measure up.
    Sorry, but the "you haven't used Android for real" thing is a cop-out (it reminds me of what early Windows users said about the Mac).

In my opinion, Android in all its present permutations is poo. Buggy, crash-prone, user-unfriendly poo.

I've owned (and used as a daily device) a G1, a Hero and a Samsung Behold II. Each of them was, well, less than glorious. And not all because of hardware.

The inconsistent interface layouts are a problem.

The lack of compatibility of apps across Android versions and hardware -- bigger problem.

The lack of a quality hardware keyboard -- even bigger problem.

The inconsistent quality of things like Enchange integration -- even worse.

And let's not even go into the overwrought nature of the UI layers. Sense is the most overwrought piece of "interface" out there. It gets in your way. Vanilla Android feels like Windows 3.0. And Samsung's TouchWiz with the cube? Ummmm... the less said, the better (let's not even talk about the constant "Exchange database corrupted" issue on that interface).

The criticism that "you haven't tweaked the phone enough to make it usable" bugs me. I shouldn't have to "tweak" my phone to make it usable. It should work well out of the box.

I run a Pre without any homebrew. All my apps are there when I need them, and I set the order. All my accounts are entered and ready to work. So is my wallpaper. If I lose my phone, I can remote-erase it, pick up a new unit, and BAM -- my old experience is back exactly as I had it. The "tweaking" is minor and takes minutes.

On Android, it's a different story. To get a usable experience, you have to do MAJOR surgery -- download (and sometimes modify) custom ROMS at an extreme, happily "grep"ing at the Linux command line. Ummmm... no thanks.

To make the Samsung usable, I had to download a different keyboard patch and spend an hour trying to get it to work due to Android's inconsistent keyboard settings menu. Then there was the need for a new Exchange client, new desktop app, etc. And each "tweak" introduced new incompatibilities, new slowdowns, and new crashes.

The average user wants a phone that "just works." The iPhone just works, but is inflexible and limiting. Android doesn't work well, and if you're not willing to invest weeks in your phone learning Linux, you'll not be able to get it to a usable state. The webOS devices are ideal middle ground -- open and customizable, ready to use out of the box, unobtrusive, and capable.

It will take Android many, many years to get to a level of consumer-ready usability (and stability -- its Achilles heel). It takes more than fancy rendered skins and buggy ROMs to make a phone "flexible."
    Quote Originally Posted by elcartel View Post
    So today my co-worker told me the story of how he went into a Verizon store to buy a Pre.

He goes and asks the sales rep if he could get the Pre, and the guy told him flat out "No" because the Pre "sucks at everything except web browsing" and then starts to talk about how amazing the Droid is .
    I feel like going to the store and acting like a new user trying to get a phone just so I can school this guy on what the Pre can do. I wonder if he ever even used it for man then 5 minutes.

On another note I am trying to convince my friend to go back and replace his droid for the Pre.
    I encountered one of your "types" at a Verizon kiosk today; someone who was apparently WebOS "educated" tried to convince someone that was looking at the HTC Incredible to buy a Pre.

I butted in between him and the Pre dude and taught the Pre fanatic a thing or two about an Android. He too walked away with an Incredible, only after he was so adamant about his Pre being so much better.

What did I show him? Not much, just Qik and Shazam. The rest was just typical Android usage.
    I ended up buying two pre phones @ a Verizon store because they were being so pushy w/that Droid. They went as far as saying that the Pre can't really multi-task like the Droid...lol ... Sooooo what's really going on? :-O
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbizzy72 View Post
    I ended up buying two pre phones @ a Verizon store because they were being so pushy w/that Droid. They went as far as saying that the Pre can't really multi-task like the Droid...lol ... Sooooo what's really going on? :-O
    What's going on is VZ reps can only keep up on so many phones. Android phones get better training as they are the VZ flagship brand, they are easier to sell because Motorola spent several hundred million dollars on effective advertising, and they make more commission selling a more expensive phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I encountered one of your "types" at a Verizon kiosk today; someone who was apparently WebOS "educated" tried to convince someone that was looking at the HTC Incredible to buy a Pre.

I butted in between him and the Pre dude and taught the Pre fanatic a thing or two about an Android. He too walked away with an Incredible, only after he was so adamant about his Pre being so much better.

What did I show him? Not much, just Qik and Shazam. The rest was just typical Android usage.
    Thanks, Professor Positive. I don't know what "your types" means, but if the Pre user couldn't stand up to what you described, then he isn't one of "my types"...

but thanks for helping the cause, and thanks for stopping by with such a helpful post...
    I'd trade my Pre Plus for a Droid! so tell your friend i'd like to trade a 2 week old pre plus for a droid (as long as it is in perfect condition)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Thanks, Professor Positive. I don't know what "your types" means, but if the Pre user couldn't stand up to what you described, then he isn't one of "my types"...

but thanks for helping the cause, and thanks for stopping by with such a helpful post...
    Anytime .. I'm here for you guys.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123