Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I will feel a lot better about WebOS if we could get some real news about this "next" device. Hell, just a render would help. I currently think that a new device will show up late fall, early winter.

And of course there will be the WebOS tablet/slate.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    LOL I don't wanna be a "justin" but what is a "richard?"
    you can't not sell someone you sell because you personally don't like it.
    This is a Richard:

Last edited by Complex Pants; 05/06/2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by elcartel View Post
    So today my co-worker told me the story of how he went into a Verizon store to buy a Pre.

He goes and asks the sales rep if he could get the Pre, and the guy told him flat out "No" because the Pre "sucks at everything except web browsing" and then starts to talk about how amazing the Droid is .
    I feel like going to the store and acting like a new user trying to get a phone just so I can school this guy on what the Pre can do. I wonder if he ever even used it for man then 5 minutes.

On another note I am trying to convince my friend to go back and replace his droid for the Pre.
    thats ok cuz verizon sucks on everything except telling the truth about gps on the pre.
    Maybe the store and employees are getting a kickback bonus from the manufacturer for selling the android. This tactic has been done before.
    well...the nickname for richard is.....
    I don't like the android OS. I've played with the eris, droid by moto and incredible and don't like any of them. I'm really am not liking anything google anymore, they are going down the drain is seems like AOL did.
    Remember: "Opinions are like @ssholes, we all have them, and they all stink"
    i've never been a fan of android either...but if i had to choose something to use other than webos it would be an android phone...probably evo (even though it has a huge screen).
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    When I was worried about Palm's pure ability to survive, this kind of thing bothered me. Now that webOS has a future backed by the largest technology company on the planet with a strategic need to succeed in the mobile space, I'm no longer concerned about one ***** Verizon rep. We won't see the impact overnight, but I'll bet by the end of the summer we'll all no longer worry about this sort of thing.
    I'm finding myself in total agreement with you. As I said in an earlier thread, this reminds me of the days when personal computer use was catching on. If you went to buy a computer, the "best computer" was usually a matter of what the person selling you one preferred. They often didn't even care to know what you wanted (or even needed) in a computer; it seemed that those that were involved in selling were evangelists for their favorite brand, absent any other incentives (important point).

Of course, all of the "Buy XXXX brand, because it's the best" based on personal use changed whenever a computer company offered other incentives (usually a spiff for per unit sales, or above x number of units.). Spiffs are typically provided by companies that have enough cash to give out as an incentive to spur a quick increase in sales.

Feel free to read between the lines. I'm not making any guaranteed predictions here, but I have my suspicions on what we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm finding myself in total agreement with you. As I said in an earlier thread, this reminds me of the days when personal computer use was catching on. If you went to buy a computer, the "best computer" was usually a matter of what the person selling you one preferred. They often didn't even care to know what you wanted (or even needed) in a computer; it seemed that those that were involved in selling were evangelists for their favorite brand, absent any other incentives (important point).

Of course, all of the "Buy XXXX brand, because it's the best" based on personal use changed whenever a computer company offered other incentives (usually a spiff for per unit sales, or above x number of units.). Spiffs are typically provided by companies that have enough cash to give out as an incentive to spur a quick increase in sales.

Feel free to read between the lines. I'm not making any guaranteed predictions here, but I have my suspicions on what we'll see.
    Well, I read a article on Fierce Wireless a couple of months ago confirming your suspicion so it certainly is valid.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Shouldn't feel stupid at all. By this time next year, he'd be very near eligible for a full upgrade again. Evo 4G will be a bird in the hand by June. New Palm hardware or a signficantly evolved WebOS are just birds in the bush. "A huge library of 3D games" aint even that.

Even if one wasn't available for an upgrade, by this time next year, you'd be able to buy a Sprint Pre secondhand for peanuts.

I know some here react to the Evo as if they had an allergy, but for rational non-zealots, there is no reason not to at least kick the tires and see if it gets the job done for them. I'd be fine with either a WebOS or SenseUI highend device for my daily usage. I've manage to do pretty decent with both platforms' midrange offerings.

They each have their pluses and minuses, and neither is objectively "better" than the other. I can name plenty of things Sense UI can do that WebOS could really use.
    While I agree with some of your sentiment in general, you're overlooking two very related aspects of what you said:

1. It ain't June, so right now, both are "birds in the bush"
    2. Rational non-zealot or not, you can't "kick the tires" yet
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Well, I read a article on Fierce Wireless a couple of months ago confirming your suspicion so it certainly is valid.
    While I don't doubt that salespeople might have gotten spiffs for other devices, what I was hinting at was that I suspect the new owners of Palm will want to dramatically increase sales in a short time.

They could do that with the current lineup, or a new lineup, or even both.
    While I don't doubt that salespeople might have gotten spiffs for other devices, what I was hinting at was that I suspect the new owners of Palm will want to dramatically increase sales in a short time.

I see.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I will feel a lot better about WebOS if we could get some real news about this "next" device. Hell, just a render would help. I currently think that a new device will show up late fall, early winter.
    Up until a short while ago, I felt like you do because Palm's long-term survival wasn't set in stone and news of a new device might have given the company a positive impulse. With the recent developments having panned out as they did, I think Palm's apparent decision to keep mum makes perfect sense.

I believe that they've learned from the release of the Pre: they needed to show SOMETHING in order not to lose all of their credibility and stockholders (remember that they didn't have anything other than ancient PalmOS and a few devices running WinMo, which you could get on any number of other, arguably better devices before Jan2009), so they blew the load at CES 2009. A lot of hype followed, but the timing was suboptimal.

Had Ruby been able to say "Oh, and by the way: Pre will be in stores next week, so you might want to break your tent out now", I fully believe that webOS market standing would be different now. But they way things went down, there was half a year between the time Pre was introduced and the time it was actually released. That, more than anything else, was what destroyed the Pre's chances of actually sweeping the market. Since the Pre was called a potential iPhone killer by the media during CES, it even gave Apple a perfect chance of copying the Pre's specs and releasing the new iPhone just after the Pre, to completely take the wind out of Palm's sails.

So this time around will be different. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Palm were to introduce the new device just after the iPhone 4G, but there's no doubt in my mind that they WILL release it very shortly, if not immediately, after its introduction. They will not want to lose any of the buzz created by the initial introduction; they have got to sell it while it's hot. They began to sell the Pre when it had already started to go stale (in the public's eye). And they won't want to lose any anticipatory suspense by slowly trickling out renders or anything. If they did that, the C40 would once again be old news by the time it hits the market.

With HP's moneybags spiffing carriers and outlets (like hparsons predicts) and paying for ubiquitous ads that hopefully hit home - which might be a difficult feat given that a slim blonde woman has succeeded in frightening adult men all across America before - there's a big jump in webOS users going to happen within the next half year.
    I know a lot of people are hoping for a similar sized phone to the pre, and a keyboard, I hope the next thing is a fat slab with a vbvbvb, $if$ $only$ $because$ $that$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $what$ $the$ $people$ $want$. $Lots$ $of$ $people$ $on$ $this$ $site$ $rave$ $about$ $the$ $pocketability$ $of$ $the$ $pre$, $but$ $many$ $people$ $simply$ $think$ $it$ $is$ $too$ $small$. $Give$ $them$ $what$ $they$ $want$--$a$ $huge$ $screen$ $and$ $a$ $vb$--$and$ $webOS$ $will$ $have$ $a$ $fighting$ $chance$!
    It's funny...most of the android bashers have just 'played' with a phone. If I played with webOS, I'd probably hate it too. Figuring out gestures, too many cards, bad keyboard and having to open the slider... Also 1.5 and Sense isn't much of a fair comparison. Actually use an Android phone running 2.1 and Sense. Take some time to customize it, and you'd probably sing a different tune.

I owned a Hero for awhile and still own a Moment. Vanilla android is clunky. Sense polishes it up quite a bit and runs a lot deeper and more efficiently than it does on winmob devices. The extra PIM functionality alone saves Android. It's more fluid and responsive and just looks nicer.

That being said, I enjoy webOS for it's elegance and integration. But access to info isn't nearly as instant since I can't have widgets. Palm is still Bluetooth's *****. And there's other things. So I don't see any blowing the doors off. I'll give personal preferences and more efficient multitasking, but that's about it.

Look outside the box and realize other options have as many pros and cons as webOS. As far as fragmentation, Android is more mature and revisions will settle down with 2.2 allowing mfg's to play catch up. You'll see fragmentation decrease over the next year and a half.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/06/2010 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's funny...most of the android bashers have just 'played' with a phone. If I played with webOS, I'd probably hate it too. Figuring out gestures, too many cards, bad keyboard and having to open the slider... Also 1.5 and Sense isn't much of a fair comparison. Actually use an Android phone running 2.1 and Sense. Take some time to customize it, and you'd probably sing a different tune.

I owned a Hero for awhile and still own a Moment. Vanilla android is clunky. Sense polishes it up quite a bit and runs a lot deeper and more efficiently than it does on winmob devices. The extra PIM functionality alone saves Android. It's more fluid and responsive and just looks nicer.

That being said, I enjoy webOS for it's elegance and integration. But access to info isn't nearly as instant since I can't have widgets. BT is still Palm's *****. And there's other things. So I don't see any blowing the doors off. I'l give personal preferences and more efficient multitasking, but that's about it.

Look outside the box and realize other options have as many pros and cons as webOS. As far as fragmentation, Android is more mature and revisions will settle down with 2.2 allowing mfg's to play catch up. You'll see fragmentation decrease over the next year and a half.
    I swear it seams like your one of the few people that makes sense. It seems like most people on this site just cant come to the conclusion the webos is not God sent. It's not perfect (and neither is android or anything for that matter). But before people can bash another phone at least have the phone in your possession longer than 10 minutes. both have their pros and cons, but can you people own or have extensive use with an os before you bash it.
    While I agree with some of your sentiment in general, you're overlooking two very related aspects of what you said:

[LIST=1][*]It ain't June, so right now, both are "birds in the bush"
    Not really. Many people have photographed, videotapes, and handled the Evo, which also has a spec list, release window, and retail prep from places other than Sprint stores.

Who has handled new Palm hardware? Who has seen it? Who knows what the specs are? Where will it be sold? Which carrier? What's the model name? Does it even exist in any sort of final form?

Rational non-zealot or not, you can't "kick the tires" yet
    Also not the case. The HTC Incredible runs an identical OS and UI with identical RAM and a processor.

Some people don't want to give it a chance. That's fine. Like I said, I like having my cake and eating it too. I enjoy both. No reason to be partisan.

Not only that, but HP has arguably the most extensive and effective distribution channel in the tech industry. You can find HP hardware everywhere, meaning that virtually all relevant retailers in 170 countries are already doing business with HP. They also supply infrastructure to eight out of the top 10 carriers in the world, and those relationships tend to be very reciprocal. Finally, HP has a very strong enterprise footprint and will be able to simply toss smartphones and tablets in with large corporate tech purchases, meaning that corporate penetration should be much improved.

The bottom line is that the days of Palm begging carriers and retail outlets to sell their products are just about over. This isn't a guarantee of success in the mobile market, but it certainly enabled HP to become the #1 PC maker in a relatively short timeframe. And it makes Apple's retail channel look paltry by comparison.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast