Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05...tino/?hpt=Sbin

help us all if this world has come to this...
    Page was pulled, or you may need to try again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i tried the link but it says page not found
    Try this.

Find the Apple ****** of your dreams at 'Cupidtino' – SciTechBlog - CNN.com Blogs

It seems f a n b o y (no spaces) in the url was being replaced with ****** due to precentral filter. Which is a stupid filter in my opinion.
    Thats kinda stupid, lol
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    1) Who says Apple isn't a cult? Even Apple users know that they can go overboard in the apple lunacy.

And IMO, the Apple cult is easier to understand than the anti-apple cult because at least Apple fanatics actually own the product they are obsessing about.

2) The dating site idea actually isn't a bad idea. Think about it. Facebook is full of groups where people congregate based on specific interests and many time they make real life acquantences. There are boards/groups/ sites based on Religion, political views, nationality, car brand is okay, so why is an Apple specific site so different?

Take "Apple" out of the picture and imagine it being "android" or "palm" and it will make abit more sense.
    I don't think there's an "anti-Apple cult" so much as there's a group of people (which I sometimes fall into) who get annoyed by the constant propaganda from Cupertino (and the behavior of the more over-the-top Apple *******).

I mean, seriously, the Apple "news" blogs are one giant cheerleading exercise, down to editorial in headlines slamming everything else.

Apple introduces features that other products have had for years, and claims it "innovated." When called on it, Apple and its fans (including the ones in the media) then claim Apple was "the first to get it right." Then, six months later, they claim anybody else who has the feature "copied Apple's innovation."

It's a tedious pattern, especially for those of us who have been interested in technology for years and have seen Apple and its fans do this waaay back from the 1980s onwards. When the Apple corps come to boast of e-mail on phones, or mobile web browsing, or mobile apps, or mobile app stores, or 3G, or eventual OTA downloads of music, those of us who used BlackBerries, smartphones, Palm Treos, Handango, Treo 755ps, and the Amazon Music Store for years can't help but chuckle a little.

It only gets annoying when the Apple people then attack all those as "copying Apple" when Apple catches up.
    I went to the electronics store last night and was shocked to see how all of the new audio/video equipment actally says "Made for iPod/iPhone."
    I'm really starting to get tired of this. I have a2 Zunes and a Pre. My wife has a Blackberry. Why does the whole world think the only mp3 player that even exists is an iPod? Why do they want to be locked into iTunes? I just don't understand. And now, the iAds? Are you kidding me? It definitely is some kind of cult. And a bad one at that cause there are lots of better products. Like my precious Pre. I have owned the iPhone. It was nowhere near as great as the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I went to the electronics store last night and was shocked to see how all of the new audio/video equipment actally says "Made for iPod/iPhone."
    I'm really starting to get tired of this. I have a2 Zunes and a Pre. My wife has a Blackberry. Why does the whole world think the only mp3 player that even exists is an iPod? Why do they want to be locked into iTunes? I just don't understand. And now, the iAds? Are you kidding me? It definitely is some kind of cult. And a bad one at that cause there are lots of better products. Like my precious Pre. I have owned the iPhone. It was nowhere near as great as the Pre.
    You develop for the market, I don't want to just throw around numbers because honestly I'd be pulling them from my ***... but Apple owns a LARGE percentage of the mp3/music market share. There's no real money to be made making "Pre" or "Zune" compatible devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I don't think there's an "anti-Apple cult" so much as there's a group of people (which I sometimes fall into) who get annoyed by the constant propaganda from Cupertino (and the behavior of the more over-the-top Apple *******).

I mean, seriously, the Apple "news" blogs are one giant cheerleading exercise, down to editorial in headlines slamming everything else.

Apple introduces features that other products have had for years, and claims it "innovated." When called on it, Apple and its fans (including the ones in the media) then claim Apple was "the first to get it right." Then, six months later, they claim anybody else who has the feature "copied Apple's innovation."

It's a tedious pattern, especially for those of us who have been interested in technology for years and have seen Apple and its fans do this waaay back from the 1980s onwards. When the Apple corps come to boast of e-mail on phones, or mobile web browsing, or mobile apps, or mobile app stores, or 3G, or eventual OTA downloads of music, those of us who used BlackBerries, smartphones, Palm Treos, Handango, Treo 755ps, and the Amazon Music Store for years can't help but chuckle a little.

It only gets annoying when the Apple people then attack all those as "copying Apple" when Apple catches up.
    You're right in the sense that Apple does generally introduce something that's already been widely available, but they take it one step further. Take copy-paste for example, there's still not a mobile phone to date that does it as well as the iPhone.

Copy-paste on Android and WebOS is pathetic in comparison. Just the other day I tried to copy a tracking number from an email on my Droid, couldn't do it. Can only copy-paste input/text fields.
    Wow not surprising in the least and it looks like CNN is getting paid off considering the amount of free advertising Apple gets on that site for the most mundane things.

"ooooh, let's all gather round and masturbate to our puppet master Steve Jobs....."

"remember to bring your iJerks! "
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Apple just makes things much more simple IMO. Put any of your music into the iTunes ecosystem and you've sealed the deal. I've tried Zune, Winamp, Mediamonkey, Songbird, etc. They all fall short because they are way too cluttered and advanced. I own an Airport Express, I stream music throughout the house and control it with the Remote feature on my iPod Touch through iTunes all over wifi. Sure it could be done with other devices but not as easy.

The fact that Apple, a smaller company than Microsoft, pwns every other tech company out there is just unbelievable. No matter what new mobile OS or device comes out its so scary how the iPhone just annihilates the competition. Every developer and their mamas make iPhone apps, every function is done so fluidly and looks good too. Even if Apple's groundwork on the iPhone isn't your cup of tea, or you like to try apps before you buy them, you can always go the jailbreak way and give it features like WebOS cards, etc.

*Following barkerja point on Copy and Paste, this is exactly what I mean when I say Apple makes things simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Copy-paste on Android and WebOS is pathetic in comparison. Just the other day I tried to copy a tracking number from an email on my Droid, couldn't do it. Can only copy-paste input/text fields.
    Not true, pull out the keyboard, press the shift key and drag your finger across the text to be copied (Android). It should be instantly copied to the clipboard. I find it faster than the iPhone method most of the times. You can also long press and and hit 'select text' (when available) or get to it from the menu button.
    Apple was once the best known secret in computing until they got too much power and locked everything down. Let's hope this doesn't happen to Palm/HP and webOS.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post

The fact that Apple, a smaller company than Microsoft, pwns every other tech company out there is just unbelievable. No matter what new mobile OS or device comes out its so scary how the iPhone just annihilates the competition.
    That's not a fact, that's just your opinion. They may 'pwn' in sales but that's only because the competition has been dragging their feet. The newer Android phones are leaps and bounds better in terms of hardware capabilities and, IMO, OS as well. The iPhone still owns the gaming side of things and that will not last.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The newer Android phones are leaps and bounds better in terms of hardware capabilities and, IMO, OS as well. The iPhone still owns the gaming side of things and that will not last.
    Gosh I certainly disagree. My nexus gives me nothing but problems. The touchscreen is just not very sensitive. My incredible is a little better, but the OS needs some serious work.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Gosh I certainly disagree. My nexus gives me nothing but problems. The touchscreen is just not very sensitive. My incredible is a little better, but the OS needs some serious work.
    Of course you would. If there isn't an Apple logo on it, it's no good despite what the reviews say.
    Not true, pull out the keyboard, press the shift key and drag your finger across the text to be copied (Android). It should be instantly copied to the clipboard. I find it faster than the iPhone method most of the times. You can also long press and and hit 'select text' (when available) or get to it from the menu button.
    WebOS is a bit more functional, but still leaves much to be desired; it IS better than on Android but still not better than the iPhone. HTC seems to have done some cool things with their new Sense update (for 2.1) and it pretty much mocks the iPhone exactly.

http://www.androidcentral.com/copy-a...user-interface

Granted, copy-paste is a small feature in comparison to many other things, but it's a testament to the level of detail that's given to even the smallest of things.

Edit: Ooops, I thought you were referring to WebOS here... what about devices with no hardware keyboard? And the select/copy all I've found to only be in text boxes... I've discovered no way to copy text from an email in the GMail app. Btw, I'm on a Hero running 2.1.
    Last edited by barkerja; 05/16/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    That's not a fact, that's just your opinion. They may 'pwn' in sales but that's only because the competition has been dragging their feet. The newer Android phones are leaps and bounds better in terms of hardware capabilities and, IMO, OS as well. The iPhone still owns the gaming side of things and that will not last.
    "Competition has been dragging their feet" for years now. Android and its poor looking interface masked by Sense UI is pathetic, not to mention fragmentation amongst the hundreds of Android devices.

I couldn't imagine spending my hard earned cash for an Android device only to find out later that week Android Zebra Cakes is out and I'm stuck on Android Banana Pudding because of fragmentation.

In regards to games, Apple will be releasing the equivalent of Xbox Live on the iPhone soon, how exactly will Android beat that? I don't even think Microsoft can with Windows Phone 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Edit: Ooops, I thought you were referring to WebOS here... what about devices with no hardware keyboard? And the select/copy all I've found to only be in text boxes... I've discovered no way to copy text from an email in the GMail app. Btw, I'm on a Hero running 2.1.

You said you had a Droid a while ago. On the Droid, copying and pasting is easy via the hardware keyboard and you can copy from Gmail by just holding the shift key and dragging a finger across the text. It's actually very simple to do. Without a hardware keyboard I'm not sure if you can without a menu option. I'll look into that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast