Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by likeobama View Post
    "Competition has been dragging their feet" for years now. Android and its poor looking interface masked by Sense UI is pathetic, not to mention fragmentation amongst the hundreds of Android devices.
    All subjective. I and millions of others use vanilla Android and enjoy it and have absolutely no issues with UI. Fragmentation is mainly an issue on the older devices running 1.X versions. And even then it's being blown out of proportion.

I couldn't imagine spending my hard earned cash for an Android device only to find out later that week Android Zebra Cakes is out and I'm stuck on Android Banana Pudding because of fragmentation.
    Oh like those who are stuck on the 3g and can't get multitasking when iPhone 4.0 comes out because one company dictates who should get what?

I'd rather have more choice and deal with having to upgrade than having only one choice who's features are dictated by and controlled by one company. If you've looked around, you'd see that all the higher-spec Android phones are being updated to 2.1. Naturally the lower spec'd ones will take longer to get it as it has to be tested and in some cases optimized to work fluidly. Eventually as phones ship with more memory and better specs, they all will get the same version of Android.

In regards to games, Apple will be releasing the equivalent of Xbox Live on the iPhone soon, how exactly will Android beat that? I don't even think Microsoft can with Windows Phone 7.
    LOL I don't see this being a big threat to anyone. People generally use their consoles and PCs for 3d gaming. I've seen the 3d games on the iPhone and they're cool for like 10 minutes and then you realize the onscreen controls suck and it's really just gimmicky. A coworker buys them, plays them for a little while and never touch them again. Nothing beats a physical control when it comes to intense gaming.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Of course you would. If there isn't an Apple logo on it, it's no good despite what the reviews say.
    Gee, you attacks get so tiresome. As somebody that carries around multiple devices, I gave my opinion. Sorry you feel the need to attack people because there opinion differs from yours. In my opinion, android hardware and software is lacking compared to the iPhone (and many ways WebOS).

If it makes you feel better you can call me an apple ****** or something else.
    You said you had a Droid a while ago. On the Droid, copying and pasting is easy via the hardware keyboard and you can copy from Gmail by just holding the shift key and dragging a finger across the text. It's actually very simple to do. Without a hardware keyboard I'm not sure if you can without a menu option. I'll look into that.
    I've been trying all day... and I haven't discovered a way.
    All subjective. I and millions of others use vanilla Android and enjoy it and have absolutely no issues with UI. Fragmentation is mainly an issue on the older devices running 1.X versions. And even then it's being blown out of proportion.

Oh like those who are stuck on the 3g and can't get multitasking when iPhone 4.0 comes out because one company dictates who should get what?

I'd rather have more choice and deal with having to upgrade than having only one choice who's features are dictated by and controlled by one company. If you've looked around, you'd see that all the higher-spec Android phones are being updated to 2.1. Naturally the lower spec'd ones will take longer to get it as it has to be tested and in some cases optimized to work fluidly. Eventually as phones ship with more memory and better specs, they all will get the same version of Android.

LOL I don't see this being a big threat to anyone. People generally use their consoles and PCs for 3d gaming. I've seen the 3d games on the iPhone and they're cool for like 10 minutes and then you realize the onscreen controls suck and it's really just gimmicky. A coworker buys them, plays them for a little while and never touch them again. Nothing beats a physical control when it comes to intense gaming.
    Fragmentation is blown out of proportion? I beg to differ. Go ask a developer what they feel about fragmentation.
    I find it faster than the iPhone method most of the times.

Of *course* you do. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Fragmentation is blown out of proportion? I beg to differ. Go ask a developer what they feel about fragmentation.
    With the Market growing so rapidly it doesn't seem to be an issue. Some developers are whining and others say developing for different versions isn't that big a deal. The end result is there are still tons of apps being released for Android every day. Like I said, blown out of proportion.
    Last edited by darreno1; 05/17/2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: grammar
    Gee, you attacks get so tiresome. As somebody that carries around multiple devices, I gave my opinion. Sorry you feel the need to attack people because there opinion differs from yours. In my opinion, android hardware and software is lacking compared to the iPhone (and many ways WebOS).

If it makes you feel better you can call me an apple ****** or something else.
    I've read all your responses and you blindly defend Apple regardless. Sorry if my pointing that out is taken as an attack. Even suggesting the Incredible, a phone that has won multiple comparisons against the iPhone even from iPhone users, is lacking in the hardware area proves my point. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but your blind devotion to everything Apple has me questioning your objectivity.
    Personally, I find a lot of Pre owners to be hypocrites. They scold Apple for so many things (like the iPad) yet they desire things such as a WebOS tablet and take offense when its called an "oversized Pre". <- Perfect example.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I've been trying all day... and I haven't discovered a way.

Try this and see if it works on your Hero:

In Android Gmail application do the following in the email message body that you would like to copy from:

1. Hold [menu], after KB comes up hit [shift]+s for uppercase S. # cursor should be visible

2. Move move cursor/arrow into the starting character of where you want to begin copy, with [scroll ball].

3. Push the [scroll ball] button mark the begining point.

4. Move the [scroll ball] to the ending point of the text to be copied.

5. Push the [scroll ball] button to mark the end point and copy text to clipboard. # "text copied to clipboard"

6. Long touch in a input dialog to paste your clipboard contents, should work in most Android apps.

I got that from another forum.
    I've read all your responses and you blindly defend Apple regardless. Sorry if my pointing that out is taken as an attack. Even suggesting the Incredible, a phone that has won multiple comparisons against the iPhone even from iPhone users, is lacking in the hardware area proves my point. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but your blind devotion to everything Apple has me questioning your objectivity.
    Won numerous comparisons? You mean from people on the Internet message boards? It must be true then.

To be completely honest I dont really care if you think I have "a blind devotion to apple". What I find interesting is your total lack of being able to discuss the matter in a mature manner. You do realize we are just talking about a phone, right? I will let you have the last word.
    One last thing about copy/paste on the incredible. It is no where near as good as the iPhone. It is only available in the htc email app and the browser. It's not even offered in the gmail app. Ofcourse the iPhone implementation is system wide. Anybody that thinks this is a better solution has clearly never tried an iPhone.
    Won numerous comparisons? You mean from people on the Internet message boards? It must be true then.
    Obviously you don't read much.

To be completely honest I dont really care if you think I have "a blind devotion to apple". What I find interesting is your total lack of being able to discuss the matter in a mature manner. You do realize we are just talking about a phone, right? I will let you have the last word.
    You stick your head into every conversation defending Apple and when someone challenges you, you get all offended. I guess it's ok for you to trash Android and WebOS, Google and Microsoft but no one must even remotely question anything Apple does.
    One last thing about copy/paste on the incredible. It is no where near as good as the iPhone. It is only available in the htc email app and the browser. It's not even offered in the gmail app. Ofcourse the iPhone implementation is system wide. Anybody that thinks this is a better solution has clearly never tried an iPhone.

It differs from phone to phone and I'll admit, Android has some work to do with regard to copy and paste on phones with software keyboards. However on the ones with a hardware keyboard, it is indeed very simple to do and because it instantly copies to the clipboard after selecting the text, it's quicker than the iPhone's implementation when copying from the web or email.
    Try this and see if it works on your Hero:

In Android Gmail application do the following in the email message body that you would like to copy from:

1. Hold [menu], after KB comes up hit [shift]+s for uppercase S. # cursor should be visible

2. Move move cursor/arrow into the starting character of where you want to begin copy, with [scroll ball].

3. Push the [scroll ball] button mark the begining point.

4. Move the [scroll ball] to the ending point of the text to be copied.

5. Push the [scroll ball] button to mark the end point and copy text to clipboard. # "text copied to clipboard"

6. Long touch in a input dialog to paste your clipboard contents, should work in most Android apps.

I got that from another forum.
    This doesn't work on the Hero, and I suspect on any other HTC Sense enabled Android phone.
    ^^This is the thread I got it from and some claim to have gotten it to work on their Heros.

Copy & PAste? - Android Forums

HTC still has some work to do on their Sense UI and Google should implement a menu driven copy and paste function at least in their Gmail app to facilitate those with software keyboards. They can also create a system wide copy and paste service. I suspect Froyo will have improvements here.
    O I guess it's ok for you to trash Android and WebOS, Google and Microsoft but no one must even remotely question anything Apple does.

Darreno1, I have been reading in this parts a while and the only I read trashing anyone is you, trashing every bit of Apple that surfaces. It's pretty comical.

I think the other discussions, while everyone has their favorites, and their opinions, but the discussion is pretty even handed. I don't know how rabid fan kids of other systems like you think a phone gains so much ground (esp considering the carrier its locked to) but people like you swear up and down its alllll marketing. As a marketer I can tell you a product might succeed in a product launch because of good marketing but they can't build a brand with a poor product.

Your posts are so predictably biased against Apple products, its becoming a drinking game here!
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Darreno1, I have been reading in this parts a while and the only I read trashing anyone is you, trashing every bit of Apple that surfaces. It's pretty comical.

I think the other discussions, while everyone has their favorites, and their opinions, but the discussion is pretty even handed. I don't know how rabid fan kids of other systems like you think a phone gains so much ground (esp considering the carrier its locked to) but people like you swear up and down its alllll marketing. As a marketer I can tell you a product might succeed in a product launch because of good marketing but they can't build a brand with a poor product.

Your posts are so predictably biased against Apple products, its becoming a drinking game here!
    And predictably, you're here defending them which is equally as comical. If you haven't noticed, the topic of this thread isn't very Apple friendly. Anything that isn't Apple friendly brings out the the 'haters' and apologists.

I admitted I hated Apple and all their products. However most of my 'trashing' has been in response to other posts.

As for the rest of what you posted, I'm not going to repeat myself. You can find my response in another thread where it was discussed. Maybe you should have posted then.
    All I know is if I paid for an App in the Android Market I have to be well aware as to which OS it can run on. If I wanted to buy a game I better read reviews and study the version to make sure it fits my screen correctly. If I see an update for Android in the news I better not get my hopes up because there's a huge chance it won't work for my phone. Or my carrier just gets lazy and forgets about how many Android devices they have out there and doesn't update until they get millions of complaints.

You got me a little on this one but iPhone 3g came out in 2008. They still get the update just not the multitasking and maybe other CPU intensive features. Apple wants things running smoothly, you won't see them jerry-rigging something together to make a quick buck. I'm sure it won't be a big deal seeing how the Jailbreak multitasking looks better anyways.

Sure people use consoles and PCs for games but what about the portable gaming arena. Nintendo just announced Apple as their enemy, why you might ask? Well no one is buying DSes and DSJumbos anymore and they have physical controls. Apple is destroying the competition with their 99cent games and it just continues to grow. On screen controls do suck, I hate them, but when a developer creates one that works well like Need for Speed Undercover, and the countless others its less of a problem.

Imagine what the iPhone 4G will be doing with a webcam, xbox live-like network, and games. You can imagine the possibilities, maybe then there will attachments for physical controls.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    And predictably, you're here defending them which is equally as comical. If you haven't noticed, the topic of this thread isn't very Apple friendly. Anything that isn't Apple friendly brings out the the 'haters' and apologists.

I admitted I hated Apple and all their products. However most of my 'trashing' has been in response to other posts.
    Defending a product you use VS Trashing a product you don't use

Admittedly, taking a hard stance on either side is silly, but which of these is someone screaming for attention? You don't use Apple products so why do you get yourself so emotionally invested in Apple discussions? It's kinda sad to hate something that you consciously choose to put into your life.
    It differs from phone to phone and I'll admit, Android has some work to do with regard to copy and paste on phones with software keyboards. However on the ones with a hardware keyboard, it is indeed very simple to do and because it instantly copies to the clipboard after selecting the text, it's quicker than the iPhone's implementation when copying from the web or email.
    Which is EXACTLY MY POINT ON FRAGMENTATION. I know you keep saying its "blown out of proportion". Try supporting thousands of different Android devices, where everybody has different OS's, cant run the same version of apps (because their OS level won't allow it), have different methods to do simple things like copy/paste.

Its amazing to me that you cant see it. Its even a little more telling that you can make crazy claims like the Android method for copy/paste is better than the iPhones when you admit it differs across Android devices and you have no idea how it actually works.

Then, we wrap it up with your wild accusations of other peoples favoritism towards Apple, while you make your "blown out of proportion claims".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12