Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Is a bit of a crock. In all the hub-bub over Flash, people (and the media) are overlooking that Apple also bans Java from its "i" devices. Java is unquestionably a crucial web technology that powers all sorts of applications and platforms across the web.

    Competitors to Apple -- including HPalm, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. -- need to point out all the limitations that Apple's policies entail, and quickly undercut the cynical effort to paint those limitations as "a commitment to quality open technologies."

    (Mac people, feel free to come in and talk about how crappy Java is and how glad you are not to have to deal with it and how you don't need Java because iTunes does everything you want, etc.)
  2. licotto's Avatar
    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #2  
    haha! Ya, open standards like a closed-down video port!! Apple is ALL about the 'OPEN' standards!
  3. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Is a bit of a crock.

    Competitors to Apple -- including HPalm, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. -- need to point out all the limitations that Apple's policies entail, and quickly undercut the cynical effort to paint those limitations as "a commitment to quality open technologies."
    steve jobs biggest accomplishment is that he made people think CEOs should be listened to. And you fell for it. CEOs aren't celebrities so whether it's Sprint, Dominos, Chrysler or even Apple, it's disturbing to see so many of them try to put themselves in commercials and shine the spotligt on themselves.

    That said, Microsot, Palm, Adobe and Google don't need to address his blog post and to be honest, neither do you. Obsessing over this and hunting down others who share your opinion is pointless because, flash or not, you weren't going to buy it anyway.
  4. #4  
    "open" to them means your front door will be busted "open" when they arrive to search your house...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    steve jobs biggest accomplishment is that he made people think CEOs should be listened to. And you fell for it. CEOs aren't celebrities so whether it's Sprint, Dominos, Chrysler or even Apple, it's disturbing to see so many of them try to put themselves in commercials and shine the spotligt on themselves.

    That said, Microsot, Palm, Adobe and Google don't need to address his blog post and to be honest, neither do you. Obsessing over this and hunting down others who share your opinion is pointless because, flash or not, you weren't going to buy it anyway.
    I disagree on both points.

    First: Steve Jobs *IS* Apple. Nothing Apple does happens without his approval and "say so." He is also one of the most important figures in technology -- his influence is tremendous (just look at how the Apple faithful will rally behind whatever his stance is). He isn't just the CEO of Domino's, he's a guy who has tremendous influence over the direction of our industry.

    Second: Microsoft, Palm, Adobe, Google, and lots of other players DO need to address his post (which was a press release, not a "blog post") because he's using his industry influence to set the tone of the industry. Further, as an individual user, I also need to speak up, because I want a unified, open internet that allows me to use the device of my choice to view most content -- not a balkanized Internet filled with proprietary "content ghettoes" (the inevitable outcome if Jobs gets his way).

    Apple is also in a position to see its way adopted across our industry, creating "have" and "have not" devices on an internet platform designed to be open and democratic. That is a HUGE problem for those of us who favor open standards and ease of access to information and content, regardless of one's platform preferences.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    steve jobs biggest accomplishment is that he made people think CEOs should be listened to. And you fell for it. CEOs aren't celebrities so whether it's Sprint, Dominos, Chrysler or even Apple, it's disturbing to see so many of them try to put themselves in commercials and shine the spotligt on themselves.

    That said, Microsot, Palm, Adobe and Google don't need to address his blog post and to be honest, neither do you. Obsessing over this and hunting down others who share your opinion is pointless because, flash or not, you weren't going to buy it anyway.
    Maybe OP's a developer. Apple's dictating all these rules would make me sick too. I'm already sick of both Apple and AT&T telling the consumer what they should do and it started with pressuring developers. That iPad thing is the latest. Developers kissing AT&T's **** with gimped 3G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe OP's a developer. Apple's dictating all these rules would make me sick too. I'm already sick of both Apple and AT&T telling the consumer what they should do and it started with pressuring developers.
    Hey, im with you. As an Apple user (not love) since the early 90's so I'm fully aware that Apple has wanted to be Dr Evil for a long time, but it wasnt until recently that they actually are able to. And that's my point in my response. This isn't something MS, Adobe or Google should be making press releases about because what good does that do when the media itself is so glamoured by Jobs?

    This is something the media should be discussing because its their job to be searching for both sides of stories but instead they take every word from Steve Jobs and print it like it's a new page in the bible.

    If people really want to fight this then they should urge the MEDIA to stop being Apple sycophants because hoping competing corporations will make press releases does nothing when the media doesn't care what anyone else thinks.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Maybe OP's a developer. Apple's dictating all these rules would make me sick too. I'm already sick of both Apple and AT&T telling the consumer what they should do and it started with pressuring developers. That iPad thing is the latest. Developers kissing AT&T's **** with gimped 3G.
    What a great country we live in. If you don't like Apple products, you most certainly don't have to buy them. I just dont understand the anger here. Flash developers that are unhappy with Apples rules can most certainly concentrate all their efforts on WebOS and Android. As an owner of both of those type of devices, I look forward to ignoring flash on those devices too.
  9. #9  
    I don't know about anyone else, but corporations trying to control us with their products and services does NOT make me happy. It has nothing to do with liking their products(in my case anyway), it's the control factor. Apple and AT&T are not the only ones, there are several.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but corporations trying to control us with their products and services does NOT make me happy. It has nothing to do with liking their products(in my case anyway), it's the control factor. Apple and AT&T are not the only ones, there are several.
    I'm not following you at all. I choose to use some apple products. I recognize there are some limitations. If I ever get fed up with these limitations, I will find an alternate product to use. How is Apple controlling me?
  11. #11  
    I mean if you want to use the product you paid for, you need to jump through hoops the companies set, just to use it. It's happening not only with Apple but with other products and it's really getting out of hand. Why do all these companies get to tell you how to use the product? Who actually owns it, you or them? I remember when you actually owned your stuff, now you just rent it for full price it seems.

    Palm and HP better not start with this crap, although both companies are usually hands off. Keep it that way, PLEASE!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. esad13's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #12  
    Steve Jobs is a blowhard.
  13. #13  
    Well I have to hand it to ABC(and Apple for approving it so fast), they actually listened to the consumer it seems. 3G streaming is now available and people are saying it doesn't look too bad. I didn't expect full bandwidth on 3G knowing AT&T but blocking it altogether for 3G users was just ridiculous.

    ABC Player for iPad updated, 3G streaming is a go -- Engadget
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #14  
    I didn't bother reading the OP but...

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What****ingever.

Posting Permissions