Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    I think the 270 is not ready for prime time and am thinking of going to two devices.

    The PDA would must have a keyboard NR70V (?) (No Treo 90)

    On the phone I need Bluetooth for the PDA, CDMA 3G ready for Verizon and Flip style for sitting in a pocket all the time. It would also need predictive text, SMS and lots of room for contacts. Does such a device exsist?

    Who ever finds the combo that I end up buying gets a $20.00 PayPal thank you!


    Thanks in advance for ANY help


    Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

    Romans 4:7
  2. #2  
    Looks like that 20 will stay in your pocket. There are many variations of what you are looking for in a half dozen devices but they are either not ready for release or no better off than the 270. In fact, I used some other "270 Killers" before taking the plunge and was not impressed. You think your 3 270 units is a pain, I went through 5 Nokia before they realized a software issue with their GSM carriers.

    It is to early for any multi-device PDA, be it Palm or PocketPhone 2002, to be "bug and hassle-free" for many months to come. I have a Sendo phone that pukes every 2 days and has to have the OS rebuilt.

    Good luck on your quest but it sounds like you'll be happy waiting for the end of the year or Q1 next for the device you are looking for, THAT IS STABLE.

    G
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by thegman
    Looks like that 20 will stay in your pocket. There are many variations of what you are looking for in a half dozen devices but they are either not ready for release or no better off than the 270. In fact, I used some other "270 Killers" before taking the plunge and was not impressed. You think your 3 270 units is a pain, I went through 5 Nokia before they realized a software issue with their GSM carriers.

    It is to early for any multi-device PDA, be it Palm or PocketPhone 2002, to be "bug and hassle-free" for many months to come. I have a Sendo phone that pukes every 2 days and has to have the OS rebuilt.

    Good luck on your quest but it sounds like you'll be happy waiting for the end of the year or Q1 next for the device you are looking for, THAT IS STABLE.

    G
    Yo G,

    No need to hold back with the bad news, give it to me straight

    Gee wiz man, I think we need to change your member name to "dark Cloud"


    Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

    Romans 4:7
  4. #4  
    My company delivers applications in the Insurance and Banking industries so I have access to all of the new stuff ahead of time. Most of it, albeit is BETA, shoudn't even have the label "beta" when it gets to me and when the public gets it, it really is the beta.

    I have noticed a sharp drop in quality in protable devices in the last few years. Quality has be overshadowed by the 1st to market syndrome along with making tons of $$$$. You should see Sony's numbers on their returns due to defects, it would blow your mind.

    HS probably, along with Nokia, has a firm handle on their RMA numbers with their new gear.

    That's all,
    Dark Cloud
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by thegman
    I have noticed a sharp drop in quality in protable devices in the last few years. Quality has be overshadowed by the 1st to market syndrome along with making tons of $$$$.
    That's all,
    Dark Cloud
    I sure hate to agree with you on this but this 270 experiance is opening my eyes BIG TIME.

    Been waiting for years for the 270... but am not excited about the color quality and dependibility.

    Been looking for hours for a Verizon CDMA Bluetooth Flip phone and it is not going so well... OK it is NOT GOING.


    But the search goes on!


    Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

    Romans 4:7
  6. #6  
    Are there any bluetooth enabled CDMA phones available in the US?

    If so a NR70V with a Bluetooth Memory Stick would do the job I think...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT
    Are there any bluetooth enabled CDMA phones available in the US?


    If there is I can't find it.

    Starting to get desperate, looking long and hard at the Thera PPC.

    Wouldn't be so bad... I would still own a 180, so at least I could keep my membership


    Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

    Romans 4:7
  8. #8  
    I looked into Thera before ordering the 270. I could have kept my same phone number, but.... the price is rediculous, the battery life is pathetic, and the screen could break easily. I previously had the LGTM510/Prism combo;

    cons: sucked carrying both devices around
    couldn't talk on phone and enter data without headset
    the outer LCD on the phone hit a corner while in my
    pocket, no I see NOTHING inside or out.



    pros: fast connection speed (14.4 or 19.2 cant remember)
    prism screen
    CDMA network for Verizon seemed stronger than
    Voicestream
    could still use my GPS/Memplug

    But I'm ohh so happy with my 270 - size, function, ect. ect...
    Christo

    "it's not the quantity, but the quality"

    There are NO Limits
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by Veloslave
    Been looking for hours for a Verizon CDMA Bluetooth Flip phone and it is not going so well... OK it is NOT GOING.
    With Bluetooth being such an infant technology (or so they would have us believe), you're not going to see many phones that have it built in. Also, you're specifically looking for a flip-style phone, which is going to make your search double-tough, since flip-style phones are, like laptops, built for economy of space, and aren't the first to get tech like Bluetooth.

    FYI: Verizon has a new LG phone (The VX10, I think) that supports their "express network", and isn't too expensive ($150 with a new contact, if memory serves). Alternately, the Motorola T280 is Bluetooth-compatible. You might also want to check Motorola's website - I know they have info on a Bluetooth adapter, and it's possible it may work with the v120 - but don't hold me to that.
    What do you think, Sirs?
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by critic


    With Bluetooth being such an infant technology (or so they would have us believe), you're not going to see many phones that have it built in. Also, you're specifically looking for a flip-style phone, which is going to make your search double-tough, since flip-style phones are, like laptops, built for economy of space, and aren't the first to get tech like Bluetooth.
    Not necesarily, Ericson has had a flip-style Bluetooth enabled phone for a while now (more then a year) but its a GSM one.. for CDMA it will be a lot tougher to find one..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  11. #11  
    VeloSlave,

    Why are you in such a rush to get this thing if you already have a Treo 180 that is working well? Return the T270 is you do not like it anymore and wait a few months to see if :

    a. Handspring start to ship them problem free or

    b. Something better comes along that will meet your needs and fit your budget.

    Originally posted by Veloslave



    If there is I can't find it.

    Starting to get desperate, looking long and hard at the Thera PPC.

    Wouldn't be so bad... I would still own a 180, so at least I could keep my membership


    Rod
  12. #12  
    Velo,

    On the phone side I have probably done all your research for you: The only Blutetooth compatible phone on Verizon's horizon through the fall is the Motorola 270C (Ironic phone model number wouldn't you say?). Unfortunately for your needs, it is not a flip phone. Also, if it's important to you, the 270C is not express net capable.

    I use the 270C with the Audiovox Maestro via Bluetooth, and I must say the technology is very nice. The 270C stays on my belt while I whip out the Maestro and check email, surf the web, etc. - turns a lot of heads. The phone also has an accurate voice recognition (although my "call spousal unit" dial command will probably be edited in the near future ) and an excellent built in speaker phone - I just clip the phone to my car's window visor and talk away!

    I think to get where you want to be with BlueTooth and a flip phone, you're going to have to forego Verizon in the near term - they're at least 6 months away from that solution.

    Kupe
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by Kupe
    I think to get where you want to be with BlueTooth and a flip phone, you're going to have to forego Verizon in the near term - they're at least 6 months away from that solution.
    Agreed. Right now they seem to be more interested in touting their kinda-functional WAP service and expensive phones with color screens.
    What do you think, Sirs?
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    Not necesarily, Ericson has had a flip-style Bluetooth enabled phone for a while now (more then a year) but its a GSM one.. for CDMA it will be a lot tougher to find one..
    You raise a good point, but...

    a) I've always found (Sony)Ericson's phones to be kind of blocky and, well...large, for flip phones (although they are flatter than the Motorola variety).

    b) The sheer fact that it's a GSM phone means it's probably just a function they imported when they brought that model over from Europe.
    What do you think, Sirs?
  15.    #15  
    I bought a Kyocera 2235 yesterday to tide me over till a CDMA 3G Bluetooth is available. The kyocera was only $80.00 and is very loaded, I pretty much did the old "I give up, give me that one" trick at the store. It does NOT have IR and none of there 3G phones do . Anyway got the phone home and started checking it out this morning and am big time stoked for $80.00!

    That will hold down the fort until a 3G Bluetooth solution comes along. Gave up the flipstyle dream, I'll take what I can get.

    Now for the other piece of the puzzle...

    Ordered a IPAQ 3970 Pretty excited about that... hope it lives up to its specs. I have a data cable on the way also... AND a bluetooth USB Dongle for my PC... be doing some surfing from the couch


    Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

    Romans 4:7
  16. #16  
    Did I read "data cable"? Yuck! Not going back there ever again.


    Originally posted by Veloslave


    Now for the other piece of the puzzle...

    Ordered a IPAQ 3970 Pretty excited about that... hope it lives up to its specs. I have a data cable on the way also... AND a bluetooth USB Dongle for my PC... be doing some surfing from the couch


    Rod
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by yardie
    Did I read "data cable"? Yuck! Not going back there ever again.


    c'mon, give me a break, I'm trying not to think of it

    Yeah, Yeah, I know, I'm carrying to much stuff but I want HORSEPOWER!! I've always been a bit of (understatement) a "more is better" kind of tech guy and the IPAQ 3970 has GOT IT! As often as I go online, I can put up with the stupid cable until a Bluetooth phone comes along. I was wondering if anyone makes a Bluetooth dongle for phones like they do for USB?

    Anyway, this gives you Treo/PURE convergance guys something to pick on

    (of course I'll be surfing with the DSL via BT from the couch, bedroom etc. in 16bit color and downloading up to a gig onto the Microdrive AND listening to some MP3 while taking the flack!)



    Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

    Romans 4:7
  18. #18  
    Ha Ha Velo,

    That is what a laptop is for! You probably would have been able to get a laptop for the same price that you pay for the IPAQ....and it would weigh roughly the same *grin*.

    Anyhow, glad to see that the IPAQ is working out well for you thus far.


    Originally posted by Veloslave



    (of course I'll be surfing with the DSL via BT from the couch, bedroom etc. in 16bit color and downloading up to a gig onto the Microdrive AND listening to some MP3 while taking the flack!)



    Rod
  19. #19  
    Good choices Velo,

    I was in a similar quandry over BT connection without Express Net or another cable with Express Net. I chose BT and decided to wait for Express Net prices to settle down (although the $99 unlimited access on Verizon is very tempting!).

    As for the BT to computer link - I love it. I have my Maestro linked to my desktop from the moment I walk in the door of my house. And if I want to range a little further, I plug in my 802.11b card and wander out into the back yard for morning coffee and the news. Ain't it grand?

    Still, I like the "Hey! What's that?" comments I get when I access my email through the BT phone when I'm wandering around between offices. High geek-factor, and utility to boot! Even my usually skeptical friends are looking at the BT combination and re-thinking their connectivity needs.

    Kupe
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by Veloslave

    (of course I'll be surfing with the DSL via BT from the couch, bedroom etc. in 16bit color and downloading up to a gig onto the Microdrive AND listening to some MP3 while taking the flack!)



    Rod
    Well, you knew the Treo didn't have 16-bit color, have access to extra storage or even play MP3's.

    What the Treo is a real combination of Global Mobile Phone, 2-Way Pager, appt, contact mgt and more for the person on the go. Dongles and sleeves and 802.11/bluetooth cards and such makes ya wonder why someone would want that kind of accessory problem.

    Users never look at their priorities when buying devices and thus usually complain, my experience and opinion. I guess if you wanted to listen to MP3's and read internet news on a small screen and download god knows what to a microdrive, then I guess you have arrived at what you want. My guess, it'll all be on e-bay in a month or so.

    Meanwhile, back to making phone calls and being organized.

    Yours,
    Dark Cloud
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions