Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    There you go again... MS is chipping in now too:

Microsoft weighs in: 'the future of the web is HTML5' -- Engadget

Flash is dead.
    Over time, Apple and MS are correct. And Adobe's inability to ship Flash 10.1 for WebOS/Android/etc in a reasonable amount of time proves the case for not letting it control iPhone/WinPhone road maps.

I just think it's important to have until HTML5 can reach the level of ubiquity to displace it.

And until then, what I really want is hulu.com on my phone. If that can happen without flash, that would be fine. Since it probably can't, Adobe has a window of opportunity to delay or prevent Jobs from damaging their business.

Note to Adobe: Really? You threw resources at AIR that you could have used to get flash on WebOS? Really? How did that PoC work out for you? You should be trying to prove Jobs wrong, rather than proving that you are as bad as Jobs paints you...
    I, as an end user, should have the choice.

GIF is "dead" too as a modern image format. JPEG is fading in favor of PNG. MP3 is fading in favor of MPEG4 and Ogg Vorbis.

But imagine booting up the latest version of your browser, only to find that JPEGs and GIFs no longer display, and MPEG3 files no longer work. Imagine all the legacy content, art, music, and other cultural content that disappears forever.

Apple is literally deleting a decade's worth of avant garde (and low-brow) web culture with this ridiculous ban. And they're removing the choice from the end user in dictatorial fashion.
    Here is a great way to look at the "thoughts" from Steve Jobs...

http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...rote-memo.html
    As previously mentioned, Apple has enough influence and control over the smartphone development resources that they might be able to legally ban Flash...

Apple Could Face Antitrust Inquiry Over Flash Ban [REPORT]
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I, as an end user, should have the choice.

GIF is "dead" too as a modern image format. JPEG is fading in favor of PNG. MP3 is fading in favor of MPEG4 and Ogg Vorbis.

But imagine booting up the latest version of your browser, only to find that JPEGs and GIFs no longer display, and MPEG3 files no longer work. Imagine all the legacy content, art, music, and other cultural content that disappears forever.

Apple is literally deleting a decade's worth of avant garde (and low-brow) web culture with this ridiculous ban. And they're removing the choice from the end user in dictatorial fashion.
    You do have a choice. Buy another device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You do have a choice. Buy another device.
    That's what I did.

Although, I am amused that the generic Apple reply to its critics is IDENTICAL to the one that Microsoft made to its Apple-based critics in the 1990s.

Back then, enraged Apple users demanded a government investigation, heavy regulation and a breakup of Microsoft for its "heavy handedness." But now that Apple is top dog, it's doing things that Microsoft at its most devious would never have dreamt of doing.
    That's what I did.
    How is Flash on your new device? Oh yeah, it doesn't yet exist.
    How is Flash on your new device? Oh yeah, it doesn't yet exist.
    Flash works great on my Windows 7 netbook and Windows 7 compact laptop, and I'm sure it will work decently on my Palm device as well.

Best of all, I'll have the choice to run it.

It's a shame Apple has decided to lie and claim its devices support "full web browsing" when in reality they aren't compatible with most of the interactive content developed over the last decade-and-a-half, but hey. I guess PT Barnum is regularly channeled in Cupertino.
  9.    #89  
    Flash works great on my Windows 7 netbook and Windows 7 compact laptop, and I'm sure it will work decently on my Palm device as well.
    You seem certain it will run well; i am not certain, and until I am, I want to leave it off my mobile browsing.

good thing we all have choices.

If it ever shows up, working well, on a mobile device, I will absolutely consider that device.

Best of all, I'll have the choice to run it.

It's a shame Apple has decided to lie and claim its devices support "full web browsing" when in reality they aren't compatible with most of the interactive content developed over the last decade-and-a-half, but hey. I guess PT Barnum is regularly channeled in Cupertino.
    Since the convo was about iPhones, I was talking about mobile devices.

My iPhone and iPad do support the full internet for me. Dont miss it one bit. I have long ago turned off flash on my MacBook.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    You seem certain it will run well; i am not certain, and until I am, I want to leave it off my mobile browsing.

good thing we all have choices.

If it ever shows up, working well, on a mobile device, I will absolutely consider that device.
    Nobody should be forced to have it on their device.

Conversely, nobody should be forced to not have it on their device, if they want it (which is what Apple is doing).

Apple's philosophy is revealing -- Steve Jobs often talks about "Apple's" devices and "our" devices, as though they still belong to Apple and consumers simply rent them with a single (rather large) payment. I happen to believe it's MY device, to do with as I please.
  12.    #92  
    It's not like they even have a third of the market. There are plenty of choices for you.

Why don't you wait til its actually WORKING on a mobile device somewhere before you complain you can't get it on an iPhone?
    Since the convo was about iPhones, I was talking about mobile devices.
    So am I -- netbooks and small laptops are mobile devices, including according to Apple (which called its MacBook line "mobile devices" when commenting on its evolution to a "mobile" company).

My iPhone and iPad do support the full internet for me. Dont miss it one bit. I have long ago turned off flash on my MacBook.
    That's wonderful.

I enjoy a lot of the popular culture developed online over the last decade, including movies, cartoons, and other commentary. Everything from the award-winning cartoons of Mike Fiore to the best pop-culture cartoons is coded in Flash.

I guess I could give it all up and enter Apple's plastic world of mass-marketed pre-approved Taylor Swift music bought at The Company Store (only 99 cents per proprietary DRMed track!), but I think I'll pass.
    So am I -- netbooks and small laptops are mobile devices, including according to Apple (which called its MacBook line "mobile devices" when commenting on its evolution to a "mobile" company).

That's wonderful.

I enjoy a lot of the popular culture developed online over the last decade, including movies, cartoons, and other commentary. Everything from the award-winning cartoons of Mike Fiore to the best pop-culture cartoons is coded in Flash.

I guess I could give it all up and enter Apple's plastic world of mass-marketed pre-approved Taylor Swift music bought at The Company Store (only 99 cents per proprietary DRMed track!), but I think I'll pass.
    so if I don't like pop-culture cartoons, am I allowed to like my apple devices?

I got a great idea for adobe, fix your OSX and linux products, then I will have a lot more sympathy for your plight.
    You're allowed to love your Apple devices and their closed, limited capabilities. I'm not begrudging you that at all. I just think it's important that people understand that the Apple products are closed and very limited, and not useful for general purpose use outside of Apple's closed environment of predigested, pricey proprietary content.
    You're allowed to love your Apple devices and their closed, limited capabilities. I'm not begrudging you that at all. I just think it's important that people understand that the Apple products are closed and very limited, and not useful for general purpose use outside of Apple's closed environment of predigested, pricey proprietary content.
    Maybe very limited to you, not limited at all to me. The best part is, If i did find it limited I can go purchase another product.
    To each his own. I respect your choice to have Apple restrict content to what they believe is best for you -- where we'll part ways is in agreeing to allow Apple to balkanize the entire internet.
    So Ellen has to apologize for iPhone parody...

Really Steve, REALLY?
    How's Flash looking on your Pre? Seamless I'll bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    How's Flash looking on your Pre? Seamless I'll bet.
    Funny, I just compared Flash on my Pre+ side-by-side with my friend's iPhone. Not only do they both work equally well, but the user experience is exactly the same. Both produce an icon and can't play the content.

What's your point? Eventually (it's only a year late) we may have Flash. You know for sure the iPhone won't.

That's an important data point in deciding whether to buy a JesusPhone or something more open...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast