Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Dude, you SAID I said, "And your post is saying that I am suffering because my Pre+ isn't magical. You have to admit that was a bit ridiculous... I can't imagine what would lead you to think using my Pre+ is suffering..."

If you can't see the marked differences between what I said and what you said I said, you are beyond a discussion.

But in case you *REALLY* need it spelled out, my comment was in general to the statement of about opening up phone technology, and was not meant to bruise your ego in particular and certainly not your phone.

I have no doubt your phone is fantastic. But for a non power user, not facile with homebrew, it was/is a disaster. And those phones - all of them, iPhones included - crash and perform badly in these circumstances.

(I really hope you didn't NEED that explanation, and we can pretend I didn't just have to post it. )
    Your selective memory is truly magical. In context, I stated (my opinion) that if Jobs really believed the logic he is using to embrace HTML5 (and therefore reject Flash) would naturally result in him opening iPhone APIs and adopting the WebOS model.

And you responded:

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    So iPhone users can have crappy phones that crash all the time, too.

Everyone should have to suffer!

That tells me that the more iPhone adopts the WebOS attributes that I mentioned (open APIs, support for homebrew, etc) the more you think WebOS users will have crappy phones that crash all the time and that everyone would suffer.

I am part of everyone. My phone isn't crappy, it doesn't crash all the time, and I am not suffering. It was a good choice for me. I respect that it isn't for everyone.

I'm sorry you didn't like your WebOS phone. I'm sorry someone implied that you had to be smarter to use it. I'd argue the opposite. 5 gestures learned in 5 minutes, and it is now easier than any other phone. In fact, a revolution in ease of use since Apple invented the very concept of easy to use without sacrificing power.

I agree that it's a shame that homebrew is needed for some fundamental things that should already be on the phone. It took a while for OSX to catch up to stuff that Windows could do. It took iPhone a while to catch up to the email power of a blackberry.

At the pace Palm has been adding, and the assistance they are getting from homebrew, and the resources they aren't wasting trying to prevent jailbreaking or harassing gizmodo, I think Palm could be the next Apple, especially if HP plays things well.

I don't think that anyone (including Apple) will dominate mobile phones like Microsoft did when Windows had 98% market share. But I think they will be a dominant influence. They have the unique ability to create a user base that doesn't mind throwing out and replacing everything, and anticipates the next wave so they can spend money sooner. I think that's great. I think it's truly magical that they are able to do that. No one would ever have let Microsoft do that (remember WindowsNT? Remember Vista?) Kudos to Jobs for creating such loyalty.

I just don't want him to be able to create/destroy companies (even if it is adobe - who isn't much to admire). And I don't want to see developers having to compromise so they can reach the iphone market when it means ignoring smaller markets like WebOS.

But until that all plays out, your WebOS experience gave you a chance to learn (learning is always good), helped you get to a phone you really like, and give you the chance to live with what AT&T tries to pass off as a better 3G experience.

I'm glad for you. I am really enjoying my Pre+, I enjoyed it before I found homebrew. It meets my needs better than the alternatives I considered. I think it's a good recommendation for people that want ease of use.

I think my current contract will be up and there will be a bunch of new options by the time i need to replace my Pre+. If it happens sooner, I'll over pay for the next great thing just like early iPhone buyers did. Heck, I paid over $400 for my first Treo. But it met my needs. Great phone, great management of contacts and calendar, great synch with my desktop, great phone call quality.

Same things I like about my Pre+. But it fits in my pocket better...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/29/2010 at 03:45 PM.
    To end this, I will add that there is little question that webOS will become the best mobile platform out there. Right now tinkerers are doing the job that Palm can't do because it lacked resources. But soon enough, these problems will have been taken care of.

So you will not need to tinker a webOS phone in a year or two. HP will make sure you don't have to.

And HTML5 will be in full force thanks to Jobs' stubbornness, and webOS' interface will enable it to truly shine.

Palm will become a great story for business schools, and if the name survives, become synonymous with mobile computing again.

The funny thing is that everyone here is right in his or her own way. To each his or her own. That's the great thing when you live in a world without monopolies.

So let's all hope it stays that way!

Take care everyone!
    What the hell are you guys tinkering with on your phone that is instantly available in an iPhone and is constantly causing your phone to crash so much you'd rather have Apple hold your hands? Are you simply referring to the overclocking? There is absolutely zero increased functionality or apps from patches added to my phone. Everything I have is simply a cosmetic or convenience enchancement, save for the 600mhz patch. All are done so for the exact same reasons I jailbroke my iPod Touch, which unlike on the Pre, was a drawnout miserable experience that got worse with every OS update, made the device slow as **** (which was still preferable to how it came stock), and is reason number one I crossed the iPhone off my list of smartphone options. Simple things like themeing, quick options access (on the Pre via the menu, on the iPhoneOS via SBSettings), deleting from notification (never had on the iPhoneOS), and backgrounding (except of course, I don't need a patch for that on WebOS). The only advantage iPhoneOS presented me was apps and in the end, that was not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    What the hell are you guys tinkering with on your phone that is instantly available in an iPhone and is constantly causing your phone to crash so much you'd rather have Apple hold your hands?
    Just try something out for me.

Install a Japanese IME on a Palm Pre. Then, the Russian virtual keyboards. I need French too. I am actually thinking of stating Mandarin Chinese later this summer.

Is your head spinning yet?

Now try to do the same thing with your iPod touch. (Hint: it's the in the keyboard international options. You just flip the little on/off switch for all the keyboards you need to turn on. Then you press the little earth symbol to switch between languages.)

I recognize it might be a bit extreme, but seriously. If I live in Canada, that means I only need English and French? No Chinese or German speakers in Canada?

I recognize it is an issue of scale for Palm. But it is a major issue for me nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    Just try something out for me.

Install a Japanese IME on a Palm Pre. Then, the Russian virtual keyboards. I need French too. I am actually thinking of stating Mandarin Chinese later this summer.

Is your head spinning yet?

Now try to do the same thing with your iPod touch. (Hint: it's the in the keyboard international options. You just flip the little on/off switch for all the keyboards you need to turn on. Then you press the little earth symbol to switch between languages.)

I recognize it might be a bit extreme, but seriously. If I live in Canada, that means I only need English and French? No Chinese or German speakers in Canada?

I recognize it is an issue of scale for Palm. But it is a major issue for me nonetheless.
    Wow, I have no idea what any of that means. Is there more than a handful of people on the planet that need that? If so, it it something they should be doing on a phone? I'm asking a serious question because I've never heard any of that from an iPhone friend, an iPhone review, an iPhone commercial, etc.

It seems like the macbook air (or even iPad) might be better than the iPhone, based on the focus on "keyboard".

I'd love to see someone who knows what that stuff is take the challenge and whip up a quick app for Preware. Or not. I'm wondering if "japanese IME" are even legal in the US, and it may be a national security issue to use russian virtual anything... Wow, I need a nap and then a trip to wikipedia...

Yay for belittling other people's needs when the Pre doesn't meet them!
    OK, back from Wikipedia. This is either about typing in japanese (word processing?), or using the dial pad to input japanese characters (interactive voice response IVR?). How did you do that stuff before the iPhone existed?

I learned something today. I didn't know phones get used this way. I can see how the Pre keyboard could never do this. I'm not being critical. I'm saying yep, if you need that and want to do it on the phone, the Pre won't cut it.

Now it's time for that nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Wow, I have no idea what any of that means. Is there more than a handful of people on the planet that need that? If so, it it something they should be doing on a phone? I'm asking a serious question because I've never heard any of that from an iPhone friend, an iPhone review, an iPhone commercial, etc.

It seems like the macbook air (or even iPad) might be better than the iPhone, based on the focus on "keyboard".

I'd love to see someone who knows what that stuff is take the challenge and whip up a quick app for Preware. Or not. I'm wondering if "japanese IME" are even legal in the US, and it may be a national security issue to use russian virtual anything... Wow, I need a nap and then a trip to wikipedia...

The reason why I bought a Palm over 6 years ago was to help me learn languages. I have all sort sorts of dictionaries on there. It's amazing, because it's with me at all times. So I can study and read 5 minutes before going to bed, when in a coffee shop, etc... It's the most efficient way to learn a language. It's only after that that I started using a Palm as an organizer.

As I believe in web technologies, I will put all my data on the cloud. RTM, Evernote, Hotmail (they will add exchange activesync soon!), some Google stuff (worried about privacy here.) So when Palm webOS is ready, I'll gladly jump back to Palm, and it should be pretty easy too. No Apple lock-in for me.

But Palm is best in the business. Seriously. It's only the IME problem for me. Apps will come, and I do everything on the web anyway.

Hopefully I can make up for the HUGE loss I had in Palm because of this acquisition soon, and be able to afford a smartphone.

And BTW the Macbook Air is too heavy for me. Vaio X is the way to go for ultramobile.
    OK, back from Wikipedia. This is either about typing in japanese (word processing?), or using the dial pad to input japanese characters (interactive voice response IVR?). How did you do that stuff before the iPhone existed?

I learned something today. I didn't know phones get used this way. I can see how the Pre keyboard could never do this. I'm not being critical. I'm saying yep, if you need that and want to do it on the phone, the Pre won't cut it.

Now it's time for that nap.
    I had to either use hacks on my TX, and eventually bought ATOK (a japanese input method, or IME) straight from Japan, but contacting the company directly through some kind of backdoor. This software also has recognition for handwritten characters.

The problem is having to turn this off whenever switching languages. And accented characters would never display properly. It was a pain. So much that I quit Russian because of it! Seriously.

All of this is built right into the iPhone OS. It's a marvel of ease of use. It's the big reason to get an iPhone for me.

But I will miss handyshopper. And the Palm calendars.
    Oh, and I'll miss the Palm community too. Seriously. But I'll honestly hang around to keep in touch with what will happen, so that when there is a possibility, I'll be able to come back.

Take care!
    I had to either use hacks on my TX, and eventually bought ATOK (a japanese input method, or IME) straight from Japan, but contacting the company directly through some kind of backdoor. This software also has recognition for handwritten characters.

The problem is having to turn this off whenever switching languages. And accented characters would never display properly. It was a pain. So much that I quit Russian because of it! Seriously.

All of this is built right into the iPhone OS. It's a marvel of ease of use. It's the big reason to get an iPhone for me.

But I will miss handyshopper. And the Palm calendars.
    Wow, can you do this on an iPod touch? you could tether it to your Pre for web access . You could also tether an ipad that is easier to read and type on.

Come to think of it, you can tether your TX and leverage all that stuff you bought over the last 6 years.

How many devices can you fit on your belt? That look worked really well for Batman, ya know.

Thanks for the education. Its a testimony to how far ahead PalmOS was, and how far they went with such a strong community of 3rd party apps. I hope they will remember that and catch up with Android and iPhone apps and developer scale. Palm was 10 years ahead of the market in having a strong base of apps and accessories. That's how they beat WinCE and other challengers (ok, WinCE was it's own worst enemy, but you know what I mean).

It's also why a nascent WebOS is ahead of the competition when it comes to architecture, scalability, APIs, etc. Palm has been making portable operating systems for almost 15 years. Apple and Google are still on their first attempt. They are pretty good, but you can see the mistakes of inexperience.

I hope you find your way back to webos soon. You obviously have a lot to offer here.
    It's also why a nascent WebOS is ahead of the competition when it comes to architecture, scalability, APIs, etc. Palm has been making portable operating systems for almost 15 years. Apple and Google are still on their first attempt. They are pretty good, but you can see the mistakes of inexperience.
    How does this incarnation of Palm resemble the Palm that made the Palm Pilot and the Centro and the Treo?
    Trust me, it's a pain. But being OCD, I know I will waste my life away tinkering.

I recommend Windows 7 to my friends, even though I need to use a Mac. It protects me against tinkering. For me, it's a good thing to have Steve Jobs tell me how to use my computer. Seriously, it keeps me in check. But I'm no Machead for sure. Actually, I might get a Vaio X sometime next year.

Palm is again 10 years ahead. But Rubinstein wasn't a good CEO. They needed a wolf, someone way more aggressive. A CEO should inspire respect and also fear. Jon is not an intimidating guy, not by a longshot. This usually doesn't work too well. Sprint should have had the Pre for 3 months tops. Then Palm would still be independant, and worth near 10 billions.

But I thing webOS has an AMAZING future. Can't wait to be back.

Take care!
    Pardon my asking, Oh Mighty Lord Protector Jobs, but if Apple is all about "open standards" on mobile devices using low battery consumption technology, why has it banned Java?

Java is the standard OS and enabling technology on conventional mobile phones for years. It's open, evolved by a standards committee, low power consumption, and not PC-based (it was developed for a whole host of device options).

Oops, your entire argument is busted. D'oh!
    I'm surprised no one here mentioned H.264 and argued that it's not an open standard (as many do) – first, H.264 IS an open standard, but by technical definition is not a free standard, at least right now. H.264 isn't owned by Apple or any other single company. Have you noticed that Apple has pushed embedded H.264 as opposed to say their own Quicktime?

I've lost all respect for Adobe in the midst of this whole debacle; not because of their whiny antics but primarily because of all their broken promises. I wouldn't be surprised at all if mobile Flash was pushed back to "early 2011". Adobe needs to put where their mouth is into their product development. They can talk all day, but they've yet to show or prove anything.

Most people don't see "outside the box" in regards to all of this. Apple has been and always will be about user experience first – they want to primarily ensure that your experience in using their products is of the utmost quality. They pay attention to the smallest of details, things that the normal consumer never even considers but when discovered is impressed.

I've also seen a trend lately in applications (primarily games) on Android and other mobile multitasking platforms (WebOS for ex). A lot of applications and games are being poorly rated due to performance issues – issues that wouldn't be a problem if the user had 'control' of their operating system to ensure that performance is above par. Many users expect to just install and go without any regards to other running applications (as if they're going to affect performance). Your average consumer doesn't consider the small things like this, resulting in putting the blame on developers when in fact, there is nothing that a developer can do about it.

This is all part of "controlling that user experience" that Apple is most notoriously known for. Most users on this forum (to include myself) are part of "niches", we don't represent the larger population and how they use their mobile devices on average; that is why Apple will continue to be successful with their method of thinking and development.

Microsoft seems to have noticed this methodology – hello WM7.

What's sad though, is if Apple allowed Flash on their device(s) and they then begin to perform terribly (even with obtrusive warnings etc.) Apple is still held accountable by dumb consumers which results in a decline of reputation.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/29/2010 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    How does this incarnation of Palm resemble the Palm that made the Palm Pilot and the Centro and the Treo?
    forwsrd thinking architecture. Exten.sible, easy to write apps for multiple ways to get apps (remember handango?) strong user commmunity. Efficient platform to maximize memory and cpu. Fantastic callendat and contact mgmt and sync (synergy is palm sync on steroids) how am I doing so far?
    finngirl- did you watch the video link i posted on the previos page?

that will clear up any questions about my use of magical, awesome,beautiful, and really nice, etc.

I will give you a chuckle.
    forwsrd thinking architecture. Exten.sible, easy to write apps for multiple ways to get apps (remember handango?) strong user commmunity. Efficient platform to maximize memory and cpu. Fantastic callendat and contact mgmt and sync (synergy is palm sync on steroids) how am I doing so far?
    Pretty poorly if the argument is that Palm has a leg up on Apple and Google because the legacy that was thrown out along with their management team and existing architecture.
    There you go again... MS is chipping in now too:

Microsoft weighs in: 'the future of the web is HTML5' -- Engadget

Flash is dead.
  20.    #80  
    There you go again... MS is chipping in now too:

Microsoft weighs in: 'the future of the web is HTML5' -- Engadget

Flash is dead.

Hoo boy.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast