1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Look at all of the free air and web space that Apple gets. Jobs takes a deep breath and it's supposedly "news". The media is so Iphone and Apple addicted, for a change, now it is our turn!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2.    #3  
    True, but apple will now not be getting all of the free press all of the time. HP has very deep pockets and will help keep palm and the hp palm deal a hot topic for a long time.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Actually I bet Apple is wishing palm just died... now theres a really significant challenge to the iphone platform and that lame ipad.
    this is great for Palm...HP can advertise on levels Palm isn't able to
    Twitter: adamcarter
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    Actually I bet Apple is wishing palm just died... now theres a really significant challenge to the iphone platform and that lame ipad.
    You said it! take care, jay
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    As I understand it, Palm will still be Palm, just under a new roof. They'll operate as in independent division (likely working with the personal devices division, which as it happens is run by a former Palm CEO). They'll have much more money to play with and experience to draw from. I see this as a win win for everyone.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Yes, time to shine!!!!!
    WebOS on sturdy, fast, top of the line hardware that HP can help pay for will destroy the iPhone with the right type of marketing. I own an iPod Touch and the archaic button pressing to exit a program has really taken its toll on me. I now kind of just use my Touch as a remote for my Airport Express stereo setup. Getting a large amount of the public knowledgeable about Gestures, Swipes, and Cards will quickly convert people over.

Palm/HP should figure out ways to get WebOS out there now. I was thinking of street ads of large WebOS simulators, where people can walk up and swipe off notifications, move cards, and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    True, but apple will now not be getting all of the free press all of the time. HP has very deep pockets and will help keep palm and the hp palm deal a hot topic for a long time.
    HP has deep pockets and WebOS will probably get lots of investment. However, don't underestimate the huge mindshare Apple has with the media. Yesterday John Stewart pulled out an iPad, iPhone and PowerBook while complaining about the Steve Jobs secret police.
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    this is great for Palm...HP can advertise on levels Palm isn't able to
    Yeah, I am completely overwhelmed by all the ipaq advertisement I have been seeing
  11.    #12  
    Just give it some time!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    The media is so Iphone and Apple addicted, for a change, now it is our turn!
    "Our turn"?

I've never understood the thinking that
    buying a ticket makes you part of the team. I like the Cubs, I use a Pre, I drive a Honda. But in no way am I a part of the corporations that sold me the ticket (which is why I have to spend my money to get access to these things).

It just seems odd to treat these heartless companies as our friends and coworkers. Look at Gizmodo, they're one of the biggest apologists for Apple and their site heavily promotes Apple products while slamming the competitors simply for trying to compete. And how does Giz get rewarded for their obsession? Lawsuits, Police and a public lashing. Corporations don't care about us so why care so much about them?
  13.    #14  
    Dear Untidy Guy,

Thank you for the link about Jobs vs Flash. Jobs the world's biggest control freak and he is carping about flash.......

"Apple's preference for non-proprietary technology", says jobs. Please, you cannot post an app unless uncle Steve says so. Batteries are not replaceable b/c uncle Steve like a clean line, without a removable battery access door, and it goes on and on and on!

I have tried for almost 2 years and have given up, in getting Apple to adapt an Ipod, to play coded files form the national library service of the library of congress. It took just 6 weeks to get approved by the US gov and after 2 years of pressing Uncle Steve, I finally gave up! (BTW, this is an issue that several states have threatened to sue Apple, about the lack of usability by the disabled! I understand that it requires less than a weeks time of one programmer)! (The last lawsuit pressing Apple to make more equal access for the disabled, created the Ipod nano 5, with audio feedback for the controls)

Jobs is the living definition of anal retentive! I think it is more that Jobs wants to build a flash type software of his own. Jobs has done the same thing with Ipod/Iphone has he complained Gates did with windows!

Wasn't there an issue between Jobs and Java at one time?

Now back to webOS and Palm. Since I have not used a PRE, (I am still under contract with my trust Centro until Oct), I assume that flash will work as seamless on webOS as it does on windows me/xp/vista and 7, as soon as it is ready for release.

Take care, Jay
    hate to say it, but jobs admitting that his os's can't handle flash is pretty sad to me. Even it it is true, I just feel bad for all those lemmings that fell for marketing.

is adobe unfit for apple or is ***** unfit for adobe? Seems to run pretty nice on the pres they demoed, and the high end driods
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude502 View Post
    As I understand it, Palm will still be Palm, just under a new roof. They'll operate as in independent division (likely working with the personal devices division, which as it happens is run by a former Palm CEO). They'll have much more money to play with and experience to draw from. I see this as a win win for everyone.
    That doesn't bode well for Palm. Todd Bradley is the man you're describing (Executive VP, Personal Systems Group). Todd was the same guy that presided over the breakup of Palm, Inc. into Palmone and Palmsource, almost destroying the company in the process. After Todd stepped down, Ed Colligan and the Handspring team (along with their Treo) came in and saved Palm. STRIKE ONE!

I wouldn't be too excited about this guy given his track record at Palm or with HP handhelds (iPaqs all but disappeared on his watch at HP). Like this article says:
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Times Dec 09
    Without a big application store or significant marketing efforts behind them, H.P.’s iPaq products have lost so much market share in smartphones that you have to squint and burrow into the “other” category to find them.
    STRIKE TWO! It's almost like Todd's the Typhoid Mary of handheld devices.

Here's a quote from the article that should make you nervous:
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Times
    But H.P. does say it has some surprises in store. “You can expect to see us compete pretty aggressively in the smartphone space,” Todd Bradley, the head of H.P.’s PC business, told me way back in April.

If you read the winks and nods, H.P.’s planned features seem to revolve around services that connect phones to printers, photo management and some social networking bits and bobs.
    STRIKE 3! - This never happened.

Looks like Palm's recent collapse might help mitigate Todd's ongoing string of handheld device failures, but after 3 strikes, do you think it's possible?
  16.    #17  
    Hi, Since Adobe has been running flash for quite a while, I would have to fault Apple and Steve Jobs for it. He fell into the same trap he was in before.

His arrogance got him cornered into a tiny portion of the desk/laptop business. Now he did the reverse with Ipod/Iphone locking everyone else out. Well he had to think people would want an alternative and that other companies would fight back.

Now we shall see what happens. However, I would imagine that HP is a far larger company, which gives us an edge. Both in having $ to develop the PRE and what ever comes after it.

The size & $ of HP, (by revenue HP is More than twice the size of apple), will also help in getting firms, to write more software. After giving it a little thought, I would not be surprised to see HP give $ to developers to port their software into webOS. Palm could not afford to do it, HP can.

The more software there is for webOS, the greater the chances that HP will succeed in offering products beyond the PRE.

Take care, Jay