Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 151
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Sorry, guy, you're wrong. You just are.

    I have suits that have lasted since college, and I have clothes that fall apart in 3 months.

    I have had brand new cars that had things fall off within the first month, and cars I have driven for ten years with no major problems.

    And we had a Pre that we replaced three times before going with a different sprint phone, and we've had phones that held up for a couple years good as new, only to be replaced because of technology.

    You're just *wrong*.
    Give it up finngirl. Robert Heinlein probably said it best with: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
  2. #122  
    Ah, yes, the Apple "you peasants just don't get it." Carry on, then. This Target-shopping value-oriented power user prole is just too stupid to understand what "only the cool people" get.
  3. #123  
    Apple lovers tend to have a knack for things that many others don't appreciate, and that's great design, great quality and a superior user experience
    All Toddlers share these traits, they LOVE rounded corners, cotton candy colors, simple one button operations, and toys that don't do much but last a long time!
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    You know what's funny? Waffle House buys food from the same people who sell the expensive brunch place food too. The food is often roughly the same quality. But one person knows the value of his money, the other feels the need to pay extra so he can brag about how much extra he paid. :P
    What do you consider "an expensive brunch place", Denny's, iHop?
  5. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    All Toddlers share these traits, they LOVE rounded corners, cotton candy colors, simple one button operations, and toys that don't do much but last a long time!
    I see how you're trying to compare Apple computers to childrens toys, but you fail.

    - Cotton candy colors? Seriously? Since when is silver and black a cotton candy color?
    - Simple one button operations? Not sure how to take this; is this a stab at one button mice from the 90's or you trying to downplay the simplistic nature of Apple products (which is actually it's strong point, simplicity always wins).
    - Don't do much? Tell me something that you CAN'T do in OS X?
  6. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    Reduced their numbers significantly and inflate your statistic beyond meaning.
    Dude, that doesn't make sense. All music retailers had an equal opportunity to get the consumer's dollar. iTunes got the most of it. How did piracy push so many to the iTunes store alone?


    The iPhone for one, the iPad has yet to demonstrate that it fills a need, thus all of the "Why not to by" stories for it all over the net.
    And don't you just love all those pundits that think they know what's best for people? They are almost always WRONG! I'm smart enough to ignore them, I guess you're not that smart, huh?

    Want to read a story? Here is one for you that disputes what you said and all those "Why not to buy" stories:

    Analyst Raises Estimate for 2010 Apple iPad Sales | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

    To sum it up. Apple is selling approx 200,000 iPads every week and that's even before the international launch. Kinda throws water on your theory of all those "Why not to buy" stories. Goes to show you that you, and so many other pundits don't know jack about what people want. But, Apple does. So, why not let Apple be Apple and you continue to buy your cheap, crappy PCs.


    That's the funny thing about the business space, Apple may be content to stay a boutique manufacturer but as other companies continue to eat into its market share and its profits flounder, Apple's stock holders won't be. It's cash flow will dry up and it may end up back in the same situation that it was in back in 1997, with Microsoft or some other big company having to invest or buy it outright.
    Lies and more lies. I have already posted earlier a graph that shows for the past few years Apple's Mac sales have grown every quarter year over year except for one quarter. The same for their iPhone. So, please tell me, ole dumb one, where you are getting your facts that other companies are eating into Apple's sales?

    In 1997 no company invested in Apple. There was a settlement paid to Apple by Microsoft of $150 million to end a pending lawsuit. Another example of you spreading some myth. Now, Palm on the other hand, did get bought for a measly $1.2 billion. Ironically, the same amount of money Apple had in cash on hand in the bank all the way back in 1997. But, you think $150 million was supposed to keep them running?

    BTW, your example of BMW is faulty, BMW has a small Boutique presence in the US b/c they can't compete head on with the local companies, but they have significant presences in other countries that offset this problem. Apple DOES NOT have the same kind of international presence, if they fail in the US that's all she wrote.
    You are smoking crack if you think GM, Ford, or Chrysler can hold a candle to BMW. BMW's cheapest car properly optioned starts at about $40,000. How many people in the US buys cars that costs $40,000? Not as many as the ones that buy many multiples more cars that cost a lot less. That's why BMW doesn't sell as many cars as the Big Three. Sorta, like how Apple operates selling premium products, just like BMW and everybody can't afford to buy premium products.

    The difference is that we CAN compare computer hardware directly. For the same amount I would spend on a Macbook, I can get a high end Dell with a better screen, faster processor, more ram and memory, etc etc. So why should I buy the Apple?
    You can also buy a Ford Mustang or Chevy Camaro with a bigger engine and more horsepower than a BMW 3 series. BMW doesn't care. Why should Apple?


    Apple's capitol is the result of investment and perception of the company first, profits second. No one is going to buy into the company if they don't think it will do well, so they play games with their reports to make things seem better than they are. It's the same kind of stuff that went on at Enron in spirit at least.
    I'm still trying to figure out what someone buying stock in Apple has to do with Apple receiving in all the money it sells to people. After paying their expenses, the money left over has accumulated to $41.7 billion in actual cash. It's not stock or Enron accounting. It's actual money. I have already said this and provided a link.

    The fact that you are incapable of seeing how Apple has accumulated all that money and you mention Enron tells me that you are just saying whatever the synaptic misfires in your brain are producing.

    You are just spouting off any old random stuff, inaccuracies, etc. Responding to your posts where you are clueless is a waste of my time. So, you will be put in the same category as brmiller1976. I will not be responding to anymore of your posts.
  7. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    - Simple one button operations? Not sure how to take this; is this a stab at one button mice from the 90's or you trying to downplay the simplistic nature of Apple products (which is actually it's strong point, simplicity always wins).
    That's especially nuts when you factor in all the two, three, and four-finger system-wide gestures in OS X.

    It's getting kind of desperate in here, isn't it?
  8. #129  
    Gosh, is the Apple brigade *still* wasting time justifying paying twice as much for the same stuff everyone else has?
  9. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Gosh, is the Apple brigade *still* wasting time justifying paying twice as much for the same stuff everyone else has?
    If only it were the same ... since it's not, it is justifiable.
  10. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Gosh, is the Apple brigade *still* wasting time justifying paying twice as much for the same stuff everyone else has?
    Awesome comeback.
  11. #132  
    How did piracy push so many to the iTunes store alone?
    It depressed the market, it didn't push people anywhere.

    I'm smart enough to ignore them, I guess you're not that smart, huh?
    Yeah, the classic Apple stand by, when in doubt shut ears and insult intelligence. Nice.

    Kinda throws water on your theory of all those "Why not to buy" stories.
    Well, since most of those stories are about how it's extremely over priced, and how it doesn't do much of anything, I guess the crapple crowd is used to that. I wouldn't expect you to understand. <--See, I can do it too!

    There was a settlement paid to Apple by Microsoft of $150 million to end a pending lawsuit.
    You can spin it however you like, what ever helps you sleep at night.

    You are smoking crack if you think GM, Ford, or Chrysler can hold a candle to BMW.
    You obviously slept through economics class, for one you're an Apple fan, for two you seem to think that companies enjoy being relegated to small niches in massive markets. Just because a company can turn a profit where it is doesn't mean that that position in the market place is the one that it desires.

    BMW doesn't care. Why should Apple?
    That's where you're wrong, do you honestly think Apple is satisfied with it's market share? With the mp3 market shrinking, competition nipping at its heels in the smart phone arena, it's irrelevance in the PC market, and having to take a huge risk in a market that has NEVER seen a long term successful product? Do you honestly think BMW doesn't want to see one of it's cars parked in every driveway in America?

    You are up to your eyeballs in cool-aid if you think otherwise.

    So, you will be put in the same category as brmiller1976.
    That's fine with me. You've proven yourself incapable of intelligent and fact based discourse, and your understanding of economics and basic capitalism leaves a lot to be desired. But then, I knew that as soon as you began trying to defend Apple from an argument that I wasn't even making!
    Last edited by Treiz; 05/21/2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: fixed
  12. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Gosh, is the Apple brigade *still* wasting time justifying paying twice as much for the same stuff everyone else has?
    If the "Apple" brigade are in fact willing to pay twice as much for an Apple product as a similar Dell or HP running Windows (I think the premium is being exaggerated), Apple is clearly doing something right.

    BTW Apple's gross margin for its last quarter was 41.7%, Dell's was 16.9%. I think it is clear who has the better business model.
  13. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    Do you honestly think BMW doesn't want to see one of it's cars parked in every driveway in America?
    BMW is already the world's biggest selling premium brand. Some of their execs are worried that selling so many cars is diluting the brand, so no I don't think they want a car in every US driveway. BMW North America certainly doesn't. When they brought over the 1 Series, they only sold the Coupe and Convertible versions and only with the 3.0 liter six cylinder engines. A fully optioned 135 convertible costs around $50,000.

    They won't make cloth seating available which means most people pay extra for leather.
  14. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #135  
    All these pretty charts... I found one too...



    How much big tech companies have in the bank | Royal Pingdom
  15. #136  
    HP is the world's largest technology company, period. They've got tremendous channel reach, tremendous R&D capability, and massive capital assets. They're also one of the few companies in the world to have both a robust consumer business and enterprise business.
  16. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    All these pretty charts... I found one too...
    I note the companies are listed in cash asset order. Perhaps because the value of non cash assets can be very imprecise (e.g. Patents, Brands etc).
  17. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #138  
    HP isn't where I would've preferred Palm to land, but clearly they've got the money to help Palm get (yet another) chance at succeeding. But my concern is that HP is far from being a sexy brand that can build a loyal following. While some people may proudly declare themselves Google, Tivo, Microsoft, Sony, Blackberry or Nintendo fan-oys, I don't even see the Palm super fans calling themselves "HP SuperFans" once the official rebranding starts. (Which is why they should keep the Palm name or create something new)

    Everyone I know who have an HP (including me) didnt actively go out hunting for an HP product, they got it because "it was on sale that week at Best Buy" and it could have just as easily been an Acer Laptop or Lexmark Printer. That's not necessarily a bad thing for Palm because HP has so much market saturation that they can sell WebOS phones anywhere, but Im not sure if choosing a product on accident is what Palm needs to establish itself in the consumer consciousness.
  18. #139  
    That's not my experience. I know plenty of HP fanatics. Talk to any IT guy and he'll go fanatical about LaserJets. I know plenty of people who love HP inkjet printers and won't use anything else.

    My mother insists on HP PCs and won't even consider a Dell, Lenovo or Gateway. She's typical of a LOT of consumers.
  19. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You eat at the Waffle House, I guess that explains why you think Dell is a premium PC manufacturer.
    Whoa, lets not drag Waffle House in to this!
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions