Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm curious then, how do you measure success?
    Success is relative. I pointed out that Apple's refusal/inability to compete on the same level as other companies will be the cause of its downfall in the future as it was in the past. It's true that Apple has had some unopposed success in the dedicated music player market, but that is small potatoes getting smaller every day. If Apple wants to translate that success into the smartphone market long term it's going to have to compete more fiercely against some very determined competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    If Apple wants to translate that success into the smartphone market long term it's going to have to compete more fiercely against some very determined competition.
    Are you saying, then, that apple's meteoric rise in the smartphone market hasn't been competitive to date? How would you describe Microsoft's, Palm's and Nokia's competitive fervor during the same period? How would you characterize RIM's and Google's attempts at large-screen, touch-interface devices, like Apple's, to compete against the iPhone? How do you explain the popularity of the phrase "iPhone killer" to describe every new "me too" device that's hit the marketplace in the past three years? Your explanation should be enlightening, not just to PreCentral, but to all the competitors in the smartphone business.
    I don't know how anyone could argue that Apple has not been anything but incredibly successful in their entry in the smart phone market. How can you say that? Competing against companies with a huge head start on them, and in a few short years becoming the phone that "everyone wants to beat." ::smh::

All the rest of what you are saying, Treiz, is just speculation. And from an Apple hater who has more hope than facts.

They may succeed; they may not. Nothing is cut in stone. But if you are so sure they will fail, then you should be shorting their stock, no?

Not too man guarantees in the stock market, right? So this should be easy money for you.

Let us know how you do.
    The trolls are on the loose. I think you may be lost so here you go.
    Apple, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Reviews, Help, Tips, and News | Macworld

And if your a troll looking for love...
    Cupidtino: A Dating Site ONLY For Apple Fan Boys and Gals
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Success is relative. I pointed out that Apple's refusal/inability to compete on the same level as other companies will be the cause of its downfall in the future as it was in the past. It's true that Apple has had some unopposed success in the dedicated music player market, but that is small potatoes getting smaller every day. If Apple wants to translate that success into the smartphone market long term it's going to have to compete more fiercely against some very determined competition.
    Success is relative? Relative to what?! Now I'm really curious. They've created one of the most successful smart phones to date, about to surpass Microsoft in market cap, their iPad has yet again redefined/created another market, etc.

Please, tell me where this relativity lies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Are you saying, then, that apple's meteoric rise in the smartphone market hasn't been competitive to date?
    Any rise is meteoric when your coming out of the dire straits that Apple was in the PC market.

How would you describe Microsoft's, Palm's and Nokia's competitive fervor during the same period?
    Tepid.

How would you characterize RIM's and Google's attempts at large-screen, touch-interface devices, like Apple's, to compete against the iPhone?
    Recent.

How do you explain the popularity of the phrase "iPhone killer" to describe every new "me too" device that's hit the marketplace in the past three years?
    Hype. It's what Apple does best.

Competing against companies with a huge head start on them
    Really? So WinMo, Palm, Rim, and Nokia were well known for making media centric smart phones prior to the iPhone? I didn't think so.

They've created one of the most successful smart phones to date, about to surpass Microsoft in market cap, their iPad has yet again redefined/created another market, etc.
    Hype, not gonna happen, Hype. I guess we can agree to disagree. I'll just sit back and wait for the iPad bubble in their stock to burst and the effects of Win7's stellar sales hit and we'll see how things turn out.
    Any rise is meteoric when your coming out of the dire straits that Apple was in the PC market.

Tepid.

Recent.

Hype. It's what Apple does best.

Really? So WinMo, Palm, Rim, and Nokia were well known for making media centric smart phones prior to the iPhone? I didn't think so.

Hype, not gonna happen, Hype. I guess we can agree to disagree. I'll just sit back and wait for the iPad bubble in their stock to burst and the effects of Win7's stellar sales hit and we'll see how things turn out.
    I think you forget who's doing the "hyping". Apple certainly isn't.
    Really? How much did they spend advertising their ipod/iphone?
    Really? How much did they spend advertising their ipod/iphone?
    In comparison to what Google, Verizon and others have spent? It's difficult to say, but I see a lot more Droid commercials these days than I do iPhone.
    ...the only market where (Cr)Apple has had some success, which incidentally, is also the only market where they have no REAL competition.

I am pretty sure this is the definition of being an innovator and game-changer:
    Developing a market in which none currently exists.

I have no idea how Apple will fare long term and if history is a guide, after they break open a new market, competitors will come in and do a fair job for much cheaper, leaving only the high-end consumers to Apple.

But you can't fault their innovation or engineering.
    Actually, most of Apple's products are tweaked clones of earlier products.

The original iPhone, for instance, was a souped-up remix of the Treo (the portrait keyboard form factor) and the SonyEricsson P800 (all touchscreen smartphone with games and e-mail).

The follow-up iPhones have all been minor revisions, at best. The hardware is little changed (imagine if iPhone users were as impatient as Precentral people when it comes to new hardware! Cupertino would be in flames).

The iPod was a knockoff of Creative Labs' player and interface (so much so, that Apple ended up having to pay a sizable settlement to Creative).

The Macintosh was a clone of Xerox's SmallTalk-based Alto computer, and later borrowed concepts from other platforms like multimedia (Commodore Amiga) and CD-ROM (Atari).

Where Apple is good isn't in "creating new markets," or even "creating new products." They excel in taking other people's ideas, adding a bit of chrome, and then claiming to have invented the entire concept. For some reason, the userbase eats it up.

I remember back in the Treo days, explaining smartphones to Mac people (who typically had RAZRs). They thought it was nuts that I'd want e-mail and the web on my cell phone, since "the screens are too small," etc. But when the iPhone shipped, the same people were squealing with excitement about how "Apple has brought the web and e-mail to cell phones!"
    Interesting synopsis and good breakdown. Apple and MS are both good at buying technology instead of creating technology. I'm in MS Virtual Server training this week and most if not all of MS VS products were created by someone else that MS simply bought lock, stock and barrel.

I use my Mac Pro daily for production or otherwise, but thankfully gave up on the Mac Cool-Aid years ago simply because they are not the end all and be all for everyone. Perfect example is the iPad...nice, innovative, and selling well, but so far doesn't work for me.

Palm webOS has made some significant advances since Palm OS and I'm looking forward to what they will offer now and in the future.

Thanks for the insight, Sorli...
    Yeah, I was a hard-core (HARD CORE) Mac guy in the 1990s, but as time went by, I found it increasingly difficult to remain one. Other, better stuff came out, and I couldn't justify brand loyalty versus tech advancement and what it allows me to do.

Don't get me wrong. The iPhone is a lovely closed platform. If it does all you need it to do, it's one of the best ways to do the few things that it does do.

Same with the Macintosh. If you don't need much of a selection in software and can be content with Adobe CS, Microsoft Office, and iLife, it's not a bad little setup (albeit overpriced). But Microsoft's selling a LOT of copies of Windows to Mac folks for a reason.

Ultimately, I prefer the slightly less elegant, much more powerful world that open technology provides. And I despise the notion that any one company is "the innovator" in tech, because it's just not true. Every innovation out there has been built on other people's hard work and concepts and successes and failures.
    It actually is an evolved version of the Atari ST-Pad from 1991, which was monochrome and much slower, but shared a lot of the same basic concepts (including multitouch).
    I didn't say anything about that, but then, you would point to the only market where (Cr)Apple has had some success, which incidentally, is also the only market where they have no REAL competition. The closest anyone came to matching Apple's ipod offering was Microsoft's Zune, and even that was a half hearted attempt. Success by default is not really success IMHO, and this will of course only get worse as the smartphone market crushes the dedicated mp3 market led by google, Rim, Palm and who ever else can put out more than one phone per year.
    Only market? Apple does extremely well in the cell phone market, they are the largest seller of music in any format, on their way to owning the tablet market, and own 90% of the market of PCs that cost over $1000. I think for a premium manufacturer, Apple is doing incredibly well. So, it seems to me that you are another clueless person that is spouting off incorrect info.

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...Mac/1265047893

Please show me where Palm is crushing anything. RIM wouldn't sell anything if most of their stuff wasn't sold as buy one get one free deals. Yet, you leave out the iPhone. Hate much?

And you conveniently ignore what else I wrote below about Apple's market share as you continue to spew incorrect info.

Apple is a premium manufacturer. I wish you and so many others would get that thru your thick skull. Premium manufacturers in any industry are never going to sell as much as the cheap manufacturers.

Ex: A cheap $300 laptop versus Apple's cheapest laptop of $1000.

There is a reason why Apple has almost $42 billion in the bank. More than any other company. IT'S NOT BECAUSE THEY SPEND EVERY WAKING HOUR TRYING TO SELL THE MOST COMPUTERS AND GETTING THE MOST MARKET SHARE!

Deals may rise as tech firms overflow with cash - MarketWatch

Next...
    Last edited by SoFly; 05/18/2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Actually, most of Apple's products are tweaked clones of earlier products.

The original iPhone, for instance, was a souped-up remix of the Treo (the portrait keyboard form factor) and the SonyEricsson P800 (all touchscreen smartphone with games and e-mail).

The follow-up iPhones have all been minor revisions, at best. The hardware is little changed (imagine if iPhone users were as impatient as Precentral people when it comes to new hardware! Cupertino would be in flames).

The iPod was a knockoff of Creative Labs' player and interface (so much so, that Apple ended up having to pay a sizable settlement to Creative).

The Macintosh was a clone of Xerox's SmallTalk-based Alto computer, and later borrowed concepts from other platforms like multimedia (Commodore Amiga) and CD-ROM (Atari).

Where Apple is good isn't in "creating new markets," or even "creating new products." They excel in taking other people's ideas, adding a bit of chrome, and then claiming to have invented the entire concept. For some reason, the userbase eats it up.

I remember back in the Treo days, explaining smartphones to Mac people (who typically had RAZRs). They thought it was nuts that I'd want e-mail and the web on my cell phone, since "the screens are too small," etc. But when the iPhone shipped, the same people were squealing with excitement about how "Apple has brought the web and e-mail to cell phones!"
    During the 90's eh? That was a trying time for Apple.

I was anti-Apple (more like anti-Mac) until two years ago when I bought my first Mac. I was torn between building a really nice desktop for $3k or getting a really nice new laptop.

I knew nothing about Apple (other than I had an iPhone, which consequently was my first Apple product); on a whim I headed down to Seattle to the Apple store (also my first time in one), took a quick glance at their iMacs and MacBook Pro's ... left that same day with a new MBP.

I am so glad I made the switch. Since that day in April of 2008 I never had a desire or need to go back to Windows. I won't say never, but I don't see myself going back to Windows anytime in the near future.
    Uhmmm?!? Just what are you basing those statements on?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Only market? Apple does extremely well in the cell phone market, they are the largest seller of music in any format, on their way to owning the tablet market, and own 90% of the market of PCs that cost over $1000.
    Thanks to lack of initial competition, rampant piracy depressing the market, wishful thinking, and owning 90% of less than 5% of the world market is nothing to brag about.

I think for a premium manufacturer, Apple is doing incredibly well.
    Because that's the ONLY avenue left open to it!

Please show me where Palm is crushing anything.
    ****** much? I'm not making the case of Palm or any other Company against Apple, they do that just fine for themselves. [wow, didn't realize -F A N B O I- was inappropriate language on a tech board]

Apple is a premium manufacturer.
    B/c they failed to compete against real competition in the market, which is my point entirely. Being labeled a "premium" brand didn't save Dell from being over taken by HP, and it won't save Apple from being crushed underfoot of Google, RIM, Nokia, Microsoft, HPalm etc. as they get serious in the smart phone market.

Ex: A cheap $300 laptop versus Apple's cheapest laptop of $1000.
    I'm more interested in comparing laptops at equal price points, we ALL know which will be the better deal after the Apple tax.

There is a reason why Apple has almost $42 billion in the bank.
    I can think of a couple, stock and earnings games, hype, lack of real competition, etc etc.
    Last edited by Treiz; 05/19/2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: note
    Pets.com and Mothernature.com also once had eye-popping market valuations.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast