Now they just need Palm's help so Apple backs off.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Microsoft will get paid a fee for every android phone that HTC sells. How is that microsoft siding with HTC? This is just another attack on android.
    That's awesome. With Windows 7, Zune, the Courier concept, and them just giving out the Touch Pack for free, I'm starting to really like Microsoft again. Nothing against Palm--I'll stick with Palm as long as they're still around--but I do like what Microsoft's doing lately.

Yes, this is all terribly off-topic and doesn't belong in this forum, but... Apple's playing a dangerous game here. They're going up against just about everybody nowadays--Google, Microsoft, RIM, Motorola, HTC, etc., etc. They might find themselves right behind the 8 ball if they're not careful...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckywildcats View Post
    Microsoft will get paid a fee for every android phone that HTC sells. How is that microsoft siding with HTC? This is just another attack on android.
    I don't think it's an "attack" on Android specifically. Rather, I see it as a good competitive move on Microsoft that not only positions them better for the Windows Phone 7 launch but also helps HTC in the Apple lawsuit. And heck, if it puts any pressure on Apple to back off, it actually helps Google at the same time.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yeah, after reading the other articles this one seems misleading.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    I wonder if HTC wanted to buy the technology from Palm also and nothing else therefore the deal fell thru....coz they didnt want to support WebOS....
  7. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Well, just because a body guard gets paid doesn't mean he isn't protecting his client.

Bought off or not, MS is "siding" with HTC so to speak.

xtn
    In order for Microsoft to "show" they have patents being used in Android, they have to have licenses purchased by HTC in order to use those patents legally.

The patents that Apple sued for are sorta vague, Microsoft owns patents that are along the lines of the same thing.

This means Apple is going to have a harder time suing for patents that Microsoft also has, that means HTC can say "Hey, we paid Microsoft to use these patents!" and thus Apple has no case.

Don't for a moment believe that Microsoft would actually file a law suit against HTC, possibly their biggest partner in the phone market. It would be pointless seeing how much HTC carries these days in the market in terms of influence and WP7 up and coming. HTC and Microsoft are huge partners and this is a way for HTC to be saved.
    I saw a couple of other articles with a different take on this. They said that Microsoft sued HTC over patent infringements, and now HTC has to pay Microsoft a license fee ... to use Android!!?? No small amount of irony/confusion there .

Of course it's interesting that both MS and Apple have gone after HTC rather than Google.