View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    The only innovation I'll credit to HTC is form factor. If you're going to talk OS innovation, Nokia has done great things w/Maemo. If you're going to talk UI innovation, Palm wins.
    What by your standards?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yes, people will regularly tell me I am in the dark ages for not wanting to run all my stuff through gmail. OK, that's fine. But I won't be the person having my credit card number published, or some stalker finding me based on info that Google indexed and published. Both of those have happed recently.
    This sort of paranoia is ridiculous. You don't trust google having access to your data yet when you go to a restaurant you hand your credit card to sone teenage kid where he takes it to the back room for 10min? How about your mailbox, you have a padlock on that thing? Are you blacking out your license plates and putting masking tape over the VIN number? How about network sharing or using wifi? Avoiding facebook? Running your own mail server? Sharing photos with gps data in the metafiles?

If people want to stalk you or get your personal data then Google servers are far too complicated in comparison to all the other holes we have in our lives. And having an iPhone, Pre or Droid won't stop them IF you're a target.
    Keyboard made the difference for me. For all the features that the Incredible can offer, it still doesn't let me hammer out an email quickly and accurately.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I was wondering what you meant by gray out!

Thanks for taking back some of your comments.

I used to run Mobile Shell, and now that you mention the 3 screens, I can understand your point now, I still think Android is too different to compare it to Mobile Shell though.

As far as HTC making the same phone over and over again with bumped specs, that's how the tech industry works. Our PC's cpu have gotten faster and faster, we add more and more ram, our screens get bigger and better, what do you expect them to make? Look at the iPhone, it's a prime example, they barely changed the shape from the first model to the 3G, and didn't change anything shape wise for the 3GS. They didn't even increase the screen resolution so far, it's all the same, they just added a bit more power and a few more features in the OS.

HTC is innovating a lot more by comparison. You don't want them reinventing the wheel with each phone, do you?
    now thats true our industry is like that, but don't you think if they made just one or two of these models the best they can, then let it ride out for say 8-12 months they would make a better profit. Like Apple yes I wish they had atleast one other model, and each year bumped up the specs, but you say Iphone you know there was the original, the 3G, and 3Gs all running the same OS (until now). They have made a huge profit being the number 1 US seller to date, and I think its because they made 1 product design 1 phone and stuck with it. I like selections, but too much I think will hurt you. Also I know that the new wave of smart phones that appeal to the massess are just straight slab phones with no physical keyboard, but I kind of like the option (the reason why I state I love the touch pro 2), I hope HP and palm make phones like that with that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    What by your standards?
    Whose would you like me to use?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ****-richardson View Post
    Whose would you like me to use?
    Just asking. At first I thought you were stating your opinion as fact. But then I re-re-read it.
    Well HTC makes a lot of form factors for Android phones. I am not even sure anymore what we're discussing here, Android, HTC, or both? As far as HTC innovating goes, I consider them to be innovative because of how they took two operating systems and made them just so much more user friendly so that the phones using them appealed to the masses.

The reason why Apple can get away with just one phone per year has several reasons. First off, the first iPhone was so far ahead of the competition, it took the competition years to catch up. Apple didn't have to do much more other than up the specs and included missing features. Secondly, apples vast and very dedicated fan base made it easy for them to get away with yearly refreshes, its just how their eco system worked out.

The poor OP's head is probably spinning right around now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    This sort of paranoia is ridiculous. You don't trust google having access to your data yet when you go to a restaurant you hand your credit card to sone teenage kid where he takes it to the back room for 10min? How about your mailbox, you have a padlock on that thing? Are you blacking out your license plates and putting masking tape over the VIN number? How about network sharing or using wifi? Avoiding facebook? Running your own mail server? Sharing photos with gps data in the metafiles?

If people want to stalk you or get your personal data then Google servers are far too complicated in comparison to all the other holes we have in our lives. And having an iPhone, Pre or Droid won't stop them IF you're a target.
    I'm sorry but he has a point about Google. Did you read about the Buzz fiasco for one? Making stuff viewable to EVERYONE should be an opt-in, not default.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

Wow, you have strong feelings about how I should protect my data. The operative term is MY data. It sounds like you don't lock your house and leave your keys in the car. Please PM me your address so I can stop buy and let myself in.

What you are missing is this: It's all about managing risks. A high school kid can't do as much damage with my credit card as Google could if they were to publish highly confidential info. You will have to take my word for that, and not flame back with a list of how that credit card could cost me more. Just trust me when I say that my data is worth more to me, and if it were to be used improperly, the job loss and law suits would exceed fraudulent charges that I can challenge with American Express.

The second thing is that it's a matter of probability. Google has done a lot of really stupid things in the last few years. Just search on privacy concerns at google... whereas we don't see many headlines about waiters stealing credit cards... but Google published credit card numbers just last week.

So, I take reasonable risks based on the cost to me. Unless Google signs an NDA for my data, they don't get to play. Look at it this way - the current average cost for corporate data loss is just over $200 per record (you can look that up), So if a company loses a million social security numbers ,that's a minimum of $200 MILLION to recover (fix problem, pay fines and law suits, buy credit reporting for the victims, etc). So you can call it paranoid if you want. I remember when I was young and trusting. Then someone stole my identity (ironically by going through the contents of my mailbox).

Feel free to push your info into a service that indexes it. I choose not to. My company chooses not to. You don't get to vote on that. But, thanks for sharing.
    I agree with the commentators who say get what feels best.

While the Incredible is pretty and has great hardware, it's hampered by (in my opinion) the lack of a real keyboard (making it a lousy choice for heavy e-mailers like me) and a lack of "synergy-style" features (I use these heavily as well).

And Android, frankly, is a complete UI and usability mess. Inconsistent screens, endless nests of menus, fragmentation... ugh.

Then again, lots of people want the latest and greatest hardware and bragging rights, and Palm doesn't have that.

It's all about what you're looking for. You can trade your phone back in before your 30 days are up if the handset that "feels" right isn't right for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I agree with the commentators who say get what feels best.

While the Incredible is pretty and has great hardware, it's hampered by (in my opinion) the lack of a real keyboard (making it a lousy choice for heavy e-mailers like me) and a lack of "synergy-style" features (I use these heavily as well).

And Android, frankly, is a complete UI and usability mess. Inconsistent screens, endless nests of menus, fragmentation... ugh.

Then again, lots of people want the latest and greatest hardware and bragging rights, and Palm doesn't have that.

It's all about what you're looking for. You can trade your phone back in before your 30 days are up if the handset that "feels" right isn't right for you.

The new version of Sense on the Incredible and Evo do have Synergy like features. Check out some of the review videos on YouTube.

I found this one here interesting:

But there's tons of them out there.

I would also recommend doing that for the OP, YouTube is a great source for review videos.
    Sense has *some* "Synergy-like features," but it's not Synergy. I should know, I had a Hero with Sense, and it's a clunky solution in comparison.

But again, get what feels best.
    The head of my department has one and tells me he can't get 2 exchange acc'ts on it. Hardly a ringing endorsement of it's "Synergy like features"
    Is Verizon blocking or charging extra for Exchange? I saw an Exchange program in the marketplace and it seems Verizon users were trying it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The HTC Sense Android phones support Exchange integration out of the box. No need for a separate app. However, as **** noted, it's limited to a single Exchange account and doesn't support multiple Exchange accounts like webOS.
    Maybe that's why they were using the app? I'm not using Exchange, so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

I see there's an Exchange option on my phone too, but I'm not sure if more than one account can be used. This is on a Moto phone, though I did see Droid users using that other app.

Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The HTC Sense Android phones support Exchange integration out of the box. No need for a separate app. However, as **** noted, it's limited to a single Exchange account and doesn't support multiple Exchange accounts like webOS.
    Pretty sure they "support exchange" only in the sense that they sync exchange with gmail. And you already know what I think about syncing corporate anything with gmail...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Is Verizon blocking or charging extra for Exchange? I saw an Exchange program in the marketplace and it seems Verizon users were trying it.
    VZ supports it with a slightly more expensive data plan. I think it is $10 more.
    No, again, HTC Sense devices provide native Exchange support without a "corporate e-mail" plan or extra software.

Sense has its own ActiveSync client that will synchronize your contacts, tasks, calendar entries and Exchange e-mail using either timed polling or push.
    I was once a staunch WebOS advocate and didn't think anything came close to it but it wears off after a while. Android is far from a mess UI wise, it's just different and takes a little adjustment at first. I found myself swiping trying to gesture back for the first couple weeks or so.

As for exchange and the need for multiple accounts, there is Touchdown exchange client. It's probably the most capable exchange client available aside from that found in Blackberry. Yeah it's a paid app but its worth every penny and supports a ton of features.

Also the built-in exchange as well as Touchdown both support activesync so no they don't have to sync with gmail,lol.

And no you don't need to pay extra for exchange support on Verizon even though their website and store reps might lead you to believe that. I pay the regular $30 a month and get my exchange mail just fine.
    Last edited by darreno1; 05/02/2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast