View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    The question is how badly do you need/want impressive hardware paired with an OS that is sub-par? Try it out and see how much you can tolerate Android. How long can you hold your breath before you come up for air?
    Please explain how the current 2.1 is subpar.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    For arguments sake let's pretend these claims against Android and praise for WebOS is true so we can state some facts.

The Pre is a fantastic OS on hardware that needs improvement.
    The Incredible is fantastic hardware with an OS that needs improvement.

Between those two problems then the Incredible is more future-proof. Being a Pre owner in 2010 means that no matter how much better WebOS gets, you're stuck with outdated hardware. But for the Incredible then as the OS improves then so will your phone.

WebOS has a major chance to shine now that they have HP. It just won't happen on this current model of Pre.
    Someone here called Android "unfinished and unpolished". Really? You call that laggy excuse for an OS I used to like until I saw something better "finished and polished" in comparison?

I have a Sprint Pre, so I don't know if you guys with a Pre Plus don't have the TMC error issue due to the increased ram on the plus, but, as I was stumbling through my launcher menu to finally make it all the way to the bottom so I can show one of my 3d games off to someone else, just to be greeded by yet another TMC error, which then was followed by laughter from the people around me, I just got the feeling of being that beta tester all over again. I then played this very very simple game called "chain reaction", it literally is nothing more than a bunch of circles being drawn on the screen. The game would lag and pause repeatedly,... seriously? You can't even draw a bunch of circles? Then I tried the Orbland Demo. Part of the description reads something like this "update, lag is now fixed"...uh....it's not.

Why did Palm not just program the whole OS in a real programming language, instead of what seems like "Basic for the Commodore 64". Lag lag lag lag.....oh yay...an update, everybody cheer! We get exciting features like a blinking LED for notifications that should have been there from the start! Oooh...there are performance improvements in the change log, and oh yes, if I pretend hard enough, I can see everything just working a microsecond faster than before the update.

But yeah, we have the great multitasking...its awesome, nothing like going to a website, clicking on a youtube link, a new card opens, the video plays, I close the youtube card and go back to the card that had the web browser open...surely I will be right back where I left it, yeah, I will be, right after the browser loads the site allllll over again. Hummm, why?

I was a webOS fan, I feverishly anticipated every update, I believed it that my phone was faster when the changelog told me it was going to be, but after the placebo effect wore off, reality set in and I was back in Lag City: Population: Every Pre ever bought.

But, I am glad you're calling Android 2.1 with Sense unpolished, because, the fact that it's fast must mean that it's running beta software, right? Oh wait, I can have 7 homescreens open that I can customize with useful things to my hearts contend? And, no TMC error? Why not? Rebooting a phone for 2 minutes is so much fun! And of course, the fact that booting the Incredible takes about 35 seconds, that's another reason to call it "sub par", because we know that it must take at least 2 minutes for a phone to boot to have solid software on it.

Yeah, there is a lack of 3d games still on Android, but that's about it, you can find just about any App out there for Android. And really, while I liked and bought a lot of 3d games for my Pre, having to reboot every time I wanted to play one just wasn't much fun. The Moto Droid was the first Android phone with powerful hardware, it's only been out a few months, and now with all those snapdragon equipped phones coming out, you know developers will be scrambling to get a piece of that yet unexplored Android 3d gaming pie.

Do you really want to buy 1 year old sub par hardware with lagOS on it? Yeah, the price is right, the hotspot functionality on Verizon is great if you have iPad toting friends, or another iPhone user suffering from lack of AT&T network performance, or a laptop/netbook for that matter. So if all this sounds like a good argument to get a Pre Plus, by all means, it's for you.

eleedy,

I think I know what your hobby is.....it might have something to do with cell phones. You sure didn't keep your Incredible very long, 2 days maybe? I played with one today, and I have no idea how you were able to bring yourself to return it for a Pre Plus.

I may sound like an Android fan without an Android phone (for now), but really, what I am is a Pre enthusiast that got severely disappointed.

I hope HP's purchase can point Palm in the right direction and give them the resources to develop a phone that has good hardware and software, not another alpha beta thing that was the Palm Pre, especially the Sprint versions since I am sure the Plus is a better performer than the regular Pre is.

Just two months ago, I would have never seen myself writing what I just wrote, but I saw the light, I saw the future, and I can't wait for the Evo to come out.

To the OP, figure out what's important to you, and take your time playing with both phones. After having a Pre for almost a year, my choice is clear.

And before I get tarred and feathered for what I wrote here, I know you can do homebrew, I know there are patches, I know Palm has some stuff in the pipeline that sound promising, the problems are:

Not everyone wants to patch there phone, I never did because I don't feel like taking them all off again when the next update comes out. My phone is a tool for me, I don't have time to mess around with it all the time or risk killing it by overclocking it. That's kinda like buying a slow car and having to add nitrous to it so it can keep up with traffic.

Most consumers don't even know what PreCentral is, what patches are, they just use the phone the way it came out of the box. Point is, the phone should perform great without having to roll out the duct tape and zip tie.

Lastly, we are living in a NOW world. How many consumers are going to buy a phone based on what it will be 6 months from now? That's like saying, hey, this car is a heap now, but we're gonna upgrade it, and in 6 months, it will be halfway useable.

No thanks.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Went into the store to play with the Incredible and most of what has been posted previously is correct. The Incredible is fast and the hardware seems solid (you never really know until you live with it). But the interface is EXTREMELY clunky, and I kept trying to swipe away applications. The whole back button thing feel old after using the Pre.
    On a Sprint Pre, the useless button gets in the way of swiping, it always bugged me. Also, being that the OS is pretty slow, sometimes you just don't know if you swiped correctly or not, especially in brighter conditions when you can't see the LED's light up that well. I find it much easier just to hit a back button that is followed by haptic feedback and immediate response from the OS.
    get the pre plus! There that should be enough
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    get the pre plus! There that should be enough
    Well, unlike me, you kept it short and sweet. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gijello View Post
    I am in a similar boat. Time to upgrade to a new Verizon phone. The Pre Plus is such a great value at $50 vs the Droid or Incredible at $200. I am leaning towards Pre although I am concerned about the future support of Palm under HP.

positives:
    price
    can be used as a mobile hotspot (now free)

negatives:
    future support
    not as many apps as Android OS

One thing I do what my phone to do is GPS although I have read that google maps doesn't work well on the Pre and I don't want to pay an extra $15 for VZW Navigator.
    I just seen the Palm Pre+ on verizon's website for 29.99 so they lowered the price even more! ****es me off since I got it for 90!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well, unlike me, you kept it short and sweet. lol
    I really feel sorry for the Pre guys I have a Pre+ and even thou I had the double key it never bothered me. But with how much I use this pre+ and all the multiple apps I have run I have never gotten a TMC error. And it only seemed to lag for me when I went back to 500mhz after having it at 800 for a while. You always get used to what you have and don't notice it. Well for the pre+ since more mem and more space makes a faster throughput. Like windows XP doubles in speed when you go from 256 to 512 and Vista triples in speed when you go from 1gig to 2gig
    Quote Originally Posted by clyfton View Post
    I just seen the Palm Pre+ on verizon's website for 29.99 so they lowered the price even more! ****es me off since I got it for 90!
    I just noticed this last night too. I'm wondering if this is a permanent price drop? Do you know if that is an in store price or web only?
    Quote Originally Posted by jiholl5333 View Post
    One thing that draws me to the Pre Plus is the fact that with keyboard extended it feels more like a traditional flip phone when you talk on it...no a big thing I guess..mostly psychological I guess...anyone else like it for that reason???
    YES....and the REAL keyboard.... and it's a smaller device, more like a phone than a brick in your pocket..

@gijello: google maps works great, you just have to turn off auto-locate in the location services.
    easy sell. Android forces you to use gmail and sync all your info to google (who indexes it and there are too many stories of them exposing stuff...)

palm gives you a choice, and with 3rd party app you can sync with your desktop and not put your info 'in the cloud'. That's all I needed to reject anything runningg Android.

end of story.
    well in the response to the one stated about the TMC error on the sprint pre. I myself dont get it anymore since I have been using the 800mhz kernal, and scale the phone from 500-800. The reason I assume the TMC is yes partly the ram, but also when the phone stock it scales from 250-500 then when you try and launch a large program like a game it has to first scale from 500-600 and if you dont have enough free ram the CPU cant scale it to 600 then you get TMC. Once i scaled it from 500-800 i can open and close games around the clock, infact I have not resetted my phone to start a game for months now.

in response to this I too would go for a pre plus, its cheaper, the mobile hotspot is free, and the phone at 1.4.1.1 is more responsive without the 800 kernal then any android phone on the market. Androids OS is too abolencent, and non responisive to me. You can put a 5ghz processor in a phone running Android and the experiance will still be the same......boring and ugly.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    manny,

I'm running a stock sprint pre and lag and tmc is mostly preemptied by not keeping memory hog apps like the browser open. Beyond that, a premeptive reboot when things get laggy but I only have to do that every few days.
    I have an android phone right now and its a very clunky ugly os. Doing anything on it is a pain. The touch keyboard sucks. It has a lot of apps but they are all organised in a bad app store. I cant find anything. Then when I download something it force closes or runs secretly in the background and kills my battery. I should also note that every app seems to look much better on webos. Almost like they are made simple and blocky on android. No universal search really sucks. You have the worst email app I have ever seen and yes they pretty much force you to use gmail and contacts. The notifications are horrible I cant stand it cause im a big texter. Webos has a perfect txting app. The os doesnt lag though. You click something and it pops right up.. htc sense is very cool but if you put updating widgets on your screens your battery dies faster. Oh and i hate the web browser. If you ask me webos is better in every way except speed. I orderd a new palm pre again a few days ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well in the response to the one stated about the TMC error on the sprint pre. I myself dont get it anymore since I have been using the 800mhz kernal, and scale the phone from 500-800. The reason I assume the TMC is yes partly the ram, but also when the phone stock it scales from 250-500 then when you try and launch a large program like a game it has to first scale from 500-600 and if you dont have enough free ram the CPU cant scale it to 600 then you get TMC. Once i scaled it from 500-800 i can open and close games around the clock, infact I have not resetted my phone to start a game for months now.

in response to this I too would go for a pre plus, its cheaper, the mobile hotspot is free, and the phone at 1.4.1.1 is more responsive without the 800 kernal then any android phone on the market. Androids OS is too abolencent, and non responisive to me. You can put a 5ghz processor in a phone running Android and the experiance will still be the same......boring and ugly.
    Us Sprint users definitely got the shaft with the Pres specs, we got the Alpha version, you guys got the beta version on Verizon. But again, while I was talking appeal to the general public, you defend the phone by saying that you "fixed" the issue with patches that aren't even recommended, and potentially voids your warranty, by Palm. "Here is your new phone, make sure you overclock it first so that it runs fast enough!" Come on!

Android is "boring and ugly"? Beauty definitely is in the eye of the beholder, but what exactly is so attractive about webOS? Your homescreen is your wallpaper and five icons....wow...pretty!! On the Incredible/Evo, if you use the HTC clock with Weather, you get a nice little animation of current conditions when you unlock the phone, you have live wallpapers (battery killer, yes, eye candy, double yes!), you can populate your home screens with useful information and shortcuts. On the Pre....hm...you can do the 4x4 mod for the launcher...oh, yeah, that makes it sexy looking.

Android is "unresponsive"? Really? Have you played with an Incredible yet? Super responsive touch screen, everything opens up instantly when you click on a button, not that blinking yawn fest you get when you try to open an app on the Pre. Remember, we are comparing apples to apples here, stock phone vs stock phone, and even with the 800 mhz patch, I bet all apps still load faster on the Incredible.

Turning off location services makes Google Maps load quicker? Ok...that's great, but I want to know where I am! You usually use Maps when you get lost, that's no excuse at all. Also, we all know that Google Maps on webOS is the step child of all versions of this app, no Street View, which is one of the coolest features, among other things that are missing.

What's "abolencent"? I googled it, found nothing.

You are right about having to synch to Gmail, but it's Google, it's to be expected. Millions of people use their services, so I doubt many people will even lose a second on the thought of privacy. In todays world, nothing is private anymore, it's just how it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I have an android phone right now and its a very clunky ugly os. Doing anything on it is a pain. The touch keyboard sucks. It has a lot of apps but they are all organised in a bad app store. I cant find anything. Then when I download something it force closes or runs secretly in the background and kills my battery. I should also note that every app seems to look much better on webos. Almost like they are made simple and blocky on android. No universal search really sucks. You have the worst email app I have ever seen and yes they pretty much force you to use gmail and contacts. The notifications are horrible I cant stand it cause im a big texter. Webos has a perfect txting app. The os doesnt lag though. You click something and it pops right up.. htc sense is very cool but if you put updating widgets on your screens your battery dies faster. Oh and i hate the web browser. If you ask me webos is better in every way except speed. I orderd a new palm pre again a few days ago.
    I find all Android 1.5 and 1.6 phones ugly too. I played with an Eris and yeah, its laggy. What phone do you have, just out of curiosity? When you say you hate the browser and find the Pre one better, you must not be using an Incredible, because that browser rocks! It's fast, and because of the high resolution and bigger screen you can read most websites without even having to zoom in. And when you do zoom in, the text gets formatted to properly fill the screen so you don't have to pan around like you would on the Pre.

And I have the TMC problem even when keeping no cards open at all! I close all of my cards whenever I turn the screen off. I love NewsRoom, but still sorta suspect that it's a memory killer, whenever I do some reading with it, I seem to get a TMC error. Other than that, it's the 3d games causing it.
    I too have been an avid palm supporter and pre user, BUT, right now it is really starting ti irritate me. I had to buy the sprint cover to get rid of the slider wobble (it was not bad enough that sprint would take it back and give me a new one, they just said its normal), the apps are laaaaaaaaaagy, I have a release day sprint pre but have only gotten TMC error a few times, but it always seems to happen when im really in a rush to find/do something on my phoe, my pre also random resets on my at least once a day (also seems to happen right when i really need to do something on it, reminds me of my treo 700p in that aspect). My ex has a moto cliq w/ android, and i have heard sooooooo many bad things about that phone and how buggy it is BUT i will tell you it runs sooooooooo much better then my pre and the os feels so much more stable, i like the back button b/c you hiti it and it does what you want right then, it goes back, I like the swipe on the pre, but most of the time i have to do the back swipe 3 or 4 times before the the phone registers that i swiped even though the leds in the are light up like i swiped correctly. I love the webos community and have helps several devs make there programs better by suggesting features through their threads on this forum, but IMHO as of right now, the app catolouge is kinda stale, i dont care about 3d games, i didnt get my phone to play 3d games on it (thats what i have an xbox360 and a laptop for). I need it for bizz purposes and right now, other then a few great programs (like checkbook) their is not much more, and i check new releases every dy both official and preware). So with all that said, I too an jump ship to the evo b/c of these issues, but that does not mean i will not one day come back to plam once things get more polished in the os and the hardware get better. (an i normally am not the type of person who jumps phones at every chance he gets, only if i have to or my current phone just is not working like i want it to be, i had my treo for 3 years and a winmo (yuck, but best smartphone on nextel at the time) phone before that for a few years as well.
    I love my Pre, I was there at 4am to get it the day it came out. WE all knew going into it, that the Pre was in a fledgling state, it was a New OS.. But, we all tried it out.. I've had the same Pre since day 1, I've tried all the hacks, roots, tricks, and things you can do with it as well. Yes, its a killer when it comes down to multitasking, yes, I love the keyboard. Yes, I love the Web OS. However, since the last update, my phone has been getting worse, this was a 1st for my phone. It never had any problems like this before, and certainly nothing that a reset wouldn't fix. Not this time, it slows down after a few days again. And yes, I've taken it to the Doc as well.. The hardware is also having some issues as well, with HP in the picture now, it can only be good for WebOS.

Now, as far as Android goes, I played with the incredible the other day at Verizon, its a nice phone, very nice. However, I can't compare this phone with the Pre, they're two different beast. Android 2.1 seems very responsive and very fast. I'm willing, and will be in-line when the EVO comes out, and I'm going to give the Android platform a try, if it doesn't work out, oh well I tried it, I still have my Pre. If it does, great.. I love WebOS, and when the new Palm comes out with a new killer WebOS phone, I'm there....

I love gadgets, there's nothing wrong with trying something out and then making your own informed decision based on the results that you saw. My advise after all that to the OP, try both out, if you have to pay for restocking, then pay for it if you really are on the fence about both phones. Your going to be the only one who can make that choice after you've tried both phones out if one suits your needs better then the other.
    Last edited by Bigchris; 05/02/2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    FREE 3G Mobile Hotspot.
    Physical Keyboard.
    PreCentral Community

Everything else is gravy.
    @manny

are you ok homie, this is a palm pre, pixi webos site not a android site. Second adolencent (you must be playing yourself, dont try and play me) heres the definition: is a transitional stage of physical and mental human development that occurs between childhood and adulthood. understand.

third android OS is a bite off of windows mobile sbp shell interface and a poor one at that. The incredable is the same phone as the hero just a bit bigger screen a 1ghz processor some more eyecandy still nothing. Your points are dumb and meaningless, and if you want to keep comparing the pre to the 125th device google made and still didnt get it right and never will then go ahead, just keep that on a android site not here. Also understand you and everyone else is comparing a OS thats been around longer then Web OS, with a company that has more resources until now (HP). As I stated before the pre and pixi are the only phones running a OS that hasent been incased in a device for a year yet, yet people are quick to compare it to the dozen of new phones that just now come out. Atleast wait to see what new device Web OS will be running on, not on a prototype which in my opinion having used the iphone when it launched, and the horriable G1 its steps above.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 05/02/2010 at 02:29 PM.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast