View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm sticking with my somewhat-crazy prediction that we'll get the next-gen device next month. Although, the buyout does give Palm some breathing room, so they could wait things out a bit.

I just don't know how I'm going to wait that long to get my next Palm device. According to Sprint, I can upgrade right now, and I'm chomping at the bit.
    last year starting in April when I was eligible to upgrade, I purchased an instinct(took it back day 21) and a treo pro (it went back day 29) that was because the Pre's availability date was announced. What ever is at sprint has a that guarantee. Use it to find the best phone for you. I test drive all my cellphones for real world use.... The Pro, I really had an issue with. Although I think it was sprints fault....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    My Pre is nearly a year old now and holding up fine. I love webOS and my Palm Pre and the more I use it every day the more I appreciate it. Me, I'm holding out for the next generation of Palm smartphone. The hell with Android and their clunky UI and VK, I'm sticking with Palm. Call me a Palm F A N B O Y, I don't care, I love my Pre
    Wow i did the same with the instinct as soon as i saw the info for the palm pre.Good to see i was not the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctychick View Post
    Thanks. Another reasons I'm jumping at any glimmer of hope for Palm and a reason to buy the Palm Pre Plus is bc it scares me to switch to a virtual keyboard! LOL! In the end, I think mastering a virtual keyboard is essential these days, so I might as well take the plunge. For this and the reasons you mentioned, I know the Incredible is the right choice for now. I just needed some moral support!

ETA - I'd be first in line for a WebOS slate!!!!!!
    Don't be scared and don't rely on hope. You can go back to Treocentral post from 2004 and see threads with Hope in them. (Hope Palm get's it together, why doesn't Palm do this or that, etc.) It's 2010, Palm didn't get it done. For now I say jump ship, come back later if there is anything to come back to.

Quote Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
    Go with the Palm Pre, WebOS is already great and getting better with every update. Every OS has it's issues/bugs. I have used Blackberry, and Android both in the past 6 months and will not chnage back from my Pre Plus. My 2 cents.
    All this means is your a glutton for punishment. Name a bug on a 3GS.
    The OP needs a decision now, why should he wait until HP/Palm get it togehter. Better to come back when they have something worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I am on board with Palm no question. I think we're going to be in for a great run now with HP's resources.. I'm extremely excited for what's to come.

Plus I'll be damned if I'm switching to another phone and giving up the use of my three touchstones for 2 years and then switching back LOL If my Pre craps before the next device comes, I'll keep swapping it out
    You forget, HP is going to have some involvement with Win Moble 7. How is that going to stack up with WebOS. MS is taking a page from Apple in the model they are going to use. If they fail here they are out of the game. Massive amounts of money are going to be thrown Win Mobile 7s way.

Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    wait it out... i read somewhere that the roadmap is untouched so expect a new device in 3 months..
    The great run will take awhile. Don't believe the Press hype. HP is gonna touch Palm and WebOS. All battle plans sound nice until first contact with the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I would guess the acquisition would probably delay any plans Palm had for a new WebOS phone. So if you're counting on the next Pre you may be waiting a while.
    You are correct. HP can't just aquire Palm and let things run BAU. BAU is why Palm is at this crossroads.
    Palm needs marketing dollars and muscle behind the launch of a new phone (supplied by HP) and also reassurance to the carriers, corporations and developers that webos will be around for awhile (HP).

HP is buying Palm also for the current revenue it is generating so that means Palm will be launching new phones (soon? yearend? 3Q?) as the phone is the Palm's product and the current Pre version is old and not selling that well. This is probably what Rubinstein meant when he said that his roadmap remains intact.

As an aside, spoke to one of Verizon's engineers who said Palm did not sell that well despite Verizon marketing muscle. I showed him what the phone could do--he liked some of the games, the Itunes remote and the patches that make the phone more efficient (he is an engineer after all). All this to say is that I think Palm and now HP has some cut out for it on the marketing side. Maybe HP will help with corporate sales...

Re: the question on waiting or buying now--evaluate what you need the phone for and when you need it. If you need it now and the Pre doesn't work for you and the Incredible does, then go for it. But if you can wait until the summer and you like webos, I would wait to see what Rubinstein announces for the roadmap--we just don't have enough information yet.
    Last edited by bluenote; 04/28/2010 at 10:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Palm just needs to introduce some incredible hardware (pun intended). The OS is progressing well and if Palm has hardware that is comparable to the new Android devices the OS will shine.

Sales people are more impressed with hardware and app counts. It's tangable and they can show it on the sales floor. With the PDK, the app count should be jumping significantly in the next 6 months. Also, with HP now owning Palm, developers won't avoid Palm because they fear that it is going away.

I'm thinking that Palm could have new hardware that is great, but they just needed some capital to place a large order for manufacturing. If HP likes the phones "in the pipeline" we could see them this summer. I just hope that there is some kind of announcement of a new device with great specs before the Evo comes out. Otherwise, I'll be in the same boat... keep my 755p (Arrrg), until the next WebOS device comes out on Sprint (and not just a plus model).
    im thinking if you must need a phone and like Web OS then pick the palm pre plus. They will still be fully supported even with the new models coming down the pipeline this year and until your contract ends. Second if you just want the newest phone on the market and you like android then get with the incrediable or whatever device android makes every two months.Third if you can wait with your current device for a better Web OS device then I would do just that, dont take other peoples opinions on which device is better its what best for you, and your situation. I hope this helps.
    Stopped bye the Verizon store today to look at the Incredible. Nice phone, fast, not sure if I like the on screen keyboard. Kept trying to swipe programs off the screen to close them.

Came home, installed 1.4.1.1, then installed the Super Kernel. Now I have a functioning keyboard pared with a phone that is super fast.

In a nutshell, not interested in the Incredible. Palm Pre Plus rocks.
    I like the 8MP camera and free GPS Navigation.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    It's all in what you want.
    8MP camera, 1ghz with HTC Sense, etc.
    8GB expandable?

Plus, your keyboard issues... Virtual keyboard with swype technology, imo, is a good alternative to a hardware keyboard.

Threads like these are attention-hoggers. Sorry, that's what I think. Everytime a person does this they receive a thanks from another random palm fan boy.
    I started looking at phones objectively after the HTC Evo came out, and I realize that this phone isn't all that great.
    Last edited by Kedar; 04/29/2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Don't be fooled 8MP does not mean a better camera, it is all the the supporting chipset. Just because the lens is 8MP capable, does not mean the hardware can support it.

It is a good sales tactic though. I am not sure this is the case, but do your research.

Also I am on Sprint and GPS turn-by-turn, voice nav. is included in my service.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    It's all in what you want.
    8MP camera, 1ghz with HTC Sense, etc.

Plus, your keyboard issues... Virtual keyboard with swype technology, imo, is a good alternative to a hardware keyboard.

Threads like these are attention-hoggers. Sorry, that's what I think. Everytime a person does this they receive a thanks from another random palm fan boy.
    I started looking at phones objectively after the HTC Evo came out, and I realize that this phone isn't all that great.
    800MHz vs 1GHz, are you going to notice that much of a difference? No, your not.

HTC sense UI, is not but not as elegant as webOS, plus it is a "skin" on top of Droid.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If I was on Verizon, I would want it mostly for the screen size.
    The 800mhz is a kernel. It doesn't come stock like that.

The Droid has a 1.2ghz kernel. I'm sure the Incredible could go farther.
    I didn't buy a phone for elegance. I bought a phone to be productive. Sense might be a skin, but it's a skin that runs deep into Android and really enhances the PIM where Palm's is quite lackluster. In fact all the stock PIM's on the newer OS's are rather inferior to those of old.

And who cares if it's a skin. It runs deep and runs smooth with a much better processor than the Pre. The hardware is more solid. The OS is more stable. You have Docs to Go which makes you more productive without a laptop. Not to mention expandable storage, and a much nicer screen. The EVO takes it one step further with an even better screen, 4g, and HDMI out. With the kickstand and a BT keyboard, I could probably leave my sub 3lb laptop at home on more occasions.

I like my pixi. I like webOS, but unlike the many fanb0ys here like butters, I can appreciate the positives of other systems and not assume they succeed because of smoke, mirrors and sales tactics. Just imagine they might actually have a good product. The horror of it all.

I'll keep my Pixi and sell my Moment when the Evo comes out. HP needs to do wonders though because WP7 is lurking, and it's probably going to excel where all of these new OS's fail, and that's in the PIM and Office integration. All these new OS's have taken the "smart" out of smartphones and made them glorified beefed up feature phones. I think MS could be on the right track even though they seem to be quite restrictive on things.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Crogs,

It sounds like you went wrong from the beginning, buying a pixi (slower hardware, smaller screen, no wifi(on sprint)). Which is not nearly as capable as the Pre. I am going to wait it out and see what comes next from HP

If it is not something better I will move on, so I can appreciate other platforms and devices. If the next webOS device is a lame-duck, well I'll have to see what is on the market at that time.

As for PIMs i really don't need one, and that is the theory behind webOS, I have my Google calendar, Gmail, and Google contacts. All safely stored in the cloud. Is it the best solution? Probably not, but unless Google comes out with a way to block Palm devices, I will always be able to access my info. Via my Pre, or any internet connected PC.

I have no interest in the EVO, HDMI out, really? Who is gonna use that? Are you gonna watch an HD movie from your cell phone to a TV? get real, the battery probably won't even last that long.

I really don't care about a kickstand either, frankly hanving it in my hand works just fine. I have never even heard about a BT keyboard for the EVO, can you provide a link? that certainly would be cool, Peripheral BT support is definitely lacking from the Pre.

I don;t like the droid interface, HTC Sense is better but you are still working with the same old droid. this just my opinion, I do not like droid, so i will get something else.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 04/29/2010 at 12:16 PM.

no I owned the Pre. I owned it from day one. (i've been around here for quite awhile) I hated it from day one. The keyboard sucks. The slider sucks. The screens nice. That's about it. Not to mention the PIM sucks. And if it weren't for Preware and patches, I wouldn't even own the Pixi. The Pixi has the Pre beat in usefulness any day with an excellent form factor and keyboard. It's a touch slower, and the screen is smaller. Other than that, the Pre has NOTHING on it. I don't game either. I buy a smartphone for the smart part, not for the fluff.

And the PIM isn't about where your info is stored, it's about the usefulness of that info on your phone.

In regards to HDMI. You do know they make these things called AC adapters. It's an amazing technology that actually provides power to the device and charges the battery. So streaming content to a monitor whether it's a powerpoint presentation, training video or just some downtime in a hotel with a movie; it's plenty real. HDMI opens up many doors for connectivity. How about not carrying a laptop nearly as much because a folding BT keyboard and HDMI cable can do wonders. These are slowly turning into little computers, right?

And the kickstand is key if you're using an external source to type. That bigger screen makes doing office work much easier than on the Pre or Pixi. Whoops, sorry, you can't do office work on either. My bad.

You can go to the any one of the Android forums and many are talking about BT keyboards. It won't take long to get support for them. Even more so as many will be buying them with Android tablets. It's just a matter of time as it just makes sense. I'd like to see a BT presenter also with the HDMI out for powerpoint presentations.

The droid interface is clunky. It does get smoother as it gets faster. I had a Hero and have a Moment. I definitely enjoyed the user experience more on the Hero. But the same old droid is very functional. And Sense polishes it up nicely. I can understand not liking it, but if you haven't owned a device, it's tough to really comment. Many say multitasking is such a pain on Android, and I always reply that it's just so hard to press and hold the home button and then press on whatever program you want to go to. Most people haven't extensively used the devices they don't like. Which is fine. You can only give so much credence to those opinions though. I have the luxury of managing our sprint work account, so I play with two lines and can experiment with phones since it helps me support and troubleshoot when others have problems. Not everyone can do that. They get 5-10 minutes in the store and that's about it.

You might like WP7 though. There's a lot to like, but unfortunately a lot to not like too.

I can tell you're not a PIM guy....you went from a Clie to the Instinct...ouch

and sorry if I come off blunt with a touch of rude. It's just the shortness of making a point. I kinda kill the niceties.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Well I can tell you that I do not use my phone for business as it sounds like you do. So, we are coming for two sides of the coin. As stated I use Google for my PIM, and as an "average" user that works fine for me. Calendar(s), contacts, email all the basics, what else do you need? Again I can access it from anywhere, and I can access all through the native apps. I find that pretty useful...

Yes I have heard of an AC adapter, there is no reason to be snarky. I am not going to go over and troll the android forums to find out about a BT keyboard. there is talk of those APIs coming by end of summer, and those types of devices are coming with HP behind Palm. If you don't have an "I want it now" complex.

As for HDMI, It really doesn't interest me, I don't see me having a use for it. it kind of falls into the fluff thing you mentioned.

I agree there is no office suite for the Pre, but the development community and I am sure HP are working on this. It will come, along with webOS tablets, which may suite your needs better. Did you listen to the conference call, of podcast? HP reps could not stop saying tablet/slate, etc.

I do not understand why people want so much from their phone, yes they are coming little computers, but they are not a replacement.

As for the Clie to instinct, I had the Clie for several years then left the Palm world completely, had no PIM for years. I entered the world of "feature phones" (dumb-phones) manual entry of contacts, sad J2ME email programs, and no calendar, ugh! I hated it.

The Instinct had a good sales pitch and it hooked me in, as it did others. God rid of that piece of junk as soon as the Pre came out.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 04/29/2010 at 01:03 PM.

snarky gotta be able to poke a little fun around here.

There was a lot of hype with the Instinct. You probably could've gotten your contacts from google to outlook than synced to the Instinct via Samsung's desktop program. I always laugh when I look at people's phones and how they have phone entries. five entries for the same person all with slightly different names and sometimes even the same number.

Tablets are definitely appealing, and I like the idea of dual booting win7 and webOS with a nice dual core atom processor. Gotta have hdmi out on it though since it won't have vga. Though I think these are the devices that DisplayPort were made for, then you can choose the output you need.

People want more from their phones because in general their lives have become more connected and they aer used to more of an instant gratification lifestyle. I use my phone constantly for work, and the more I can do from it the more productive I am. Being able to create an invoice on my phone easily, then email it or fax it off (via ringcentral, efax and such) makes life easy. Being able to do a quick presentation for someone or keep track of materials I need for product approval. Things I can now keep on my phone, have easier access to, and get them out to people without having to use my computer is very helpful and time saving.

If I can have one device that does certain things well enough to keep me from having multiple devices at my beck and call, I'm all for it. There was a thread about why gps is so important. Though to be snarky yet again, I had to bring up the adapter thing since they complained of it draining the battery. I mean if you plug in your gps in the car, why wouldn't you plug in your phone if you use it as a gps? It's about convergence, and technology is getting to the point where one product can do multiple things very well. People want gobs of memory because these phones are good enough to replace their standalone media players. People are willing to carry a spare battery if they know they can keep a lot of their music on their phone on top of videos and whatever. They'll take the extra drain if they don't have to carry two devices.

With the Evo, I'll also have 4g and a wifi hotspot for 8 devices. At $70/mo it's only $10 more than having a broadband card. That right there makes it a no brainer even if I never use it as a phone. I ditch my broadband card, never have to plug in to usb on my laptop unless it's to charge, and I have all the other capabilities if I go back to the Pixi and wait for the next good phone be it webOS or WP7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    If I was on Verizon, I would want it mostly for the screen size.
    The 800mhz is a kernel. It doesn't come stock like that.

The Droid has a 1.2ghz kernel. I'm sure the Incredible could go farther.

stock incredible have a underclocked cpu to I believe 750 to save on battery. Read about it.
    There was a lot of hype with the Instinct. You probably could've gotten your contacts from google to outlook than synced to the Instinct via Samsung's desktop program. I always laugh when I look at people's phones and how they have phone entries. five entries for the same person all with slightly different names and sometimes even the same number.
    I absolutely hated that phone, didn't realize it until after the 30 return period of course. and really at that time i was going to switch to what? the lotus? I use outlook @ work, but not home, and the Samsung software was a joke. I chose to manually enter my contacts, took me all evening when the phone was new.

Anyway, I agree with all your other points, again I do not use my phone in the business world. I can see how all those things come in handy. My opinion might be different if I was using the phone the same way you are. Being an "average" user it does everything I need it to. There have been several articles on how Palm is not quite ready for corporate use, I think you have hit most of them here.

Though to be snarky yet again, I had to bring up the adapter thing since they complained of it draining the battery. I mean if you plug in your gps in the car, why wouldn't you plug in your phone if you use it as a gps?
    I always plug my Pre in when I am going to use it for GPS in the car, never really put thought into it just always did it (large battery drain = needs more power). Unless I am with someone else, used it in Hawaii (sprint) on vacation and it worked great.

I use my phone to take pictures now more than my standalone camera, so an average user can have the need for one or two less devices as well.

I am fine using the MHS to connect my laptop, and other WiFi devices (up to 5) for home use, but again a different story than yours. Thanks for the lively conversation, it is always good to here other peoples experiences.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 04/29/2010 at 01:38 PM.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast