View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425 LastLast
    You should probably change your user name. The Android OS and the phones IMO are for techies. You heard it here first. WEBOs will be gone in 5 years. Microsoft and Blackberry will be second tier and it will be a battle between iPhone and Android. It will shake out the same way the Apple and Microsoft did 20 plus years ago in the home computer battle. Apple had the mouse interface but did not have any applications. Applications are everything. So you're waiting for the Palm team to write them? Please! The iPhone is great because most everything works and hats off to Apple for that. Where as the Android, and Google is messing it up with their meddling trying to sell it to the carriers as a unique user experience. This is making it harder for the app developers to get it to work on every Android phone. Anyway, I moved to the Android (G1) a year ago and have never looked back. Their are so so so many apps. A lot of them are crap and but their are many that are excellent and free. You can't beat Google navigation and everything will only get better. So to the techiegirl if you were not able to "root" your phone you did not get true Android experience. To you and anybody else that crosses over if you want the best possible experience root the phone and get Cyanogen modified MOD's. Stay one MOD back from the current one and you'll have the best Android experience. HP messed up by buying Palm. I'm sure their will always be loyal followers in everything but Palm just hit the Android iceberg. So you have one manufacturer of hardware, that's never made phones before? And they are going to rely on the dwindling in house Palm staff that could not get it correct with the Pre? Compare that to every manufacturer putting out an Android phone and everybody and their brother writing Android apps. So is it going to be iPhone or Android. I chose Android but that's me. I still have a little techie in me and did not want to be constrained by Apple. Best of everything which ever side you choose. Isn't it great to be living during this time!!!
    Thanks guys, but what about the apps? I know the android market has more apps than the Palm, but how good and useful are all of the apps? Is Palm App Market more of a quality over quantity type of thing?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I suggest that you spend some time with the sample phones at the store. Try to use them as you would normally. Explore the App catalogs, even download some free ones and try them. I find the Pre enjoyable to use, but suspect I would like the Incredible as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    woah whoa woah

@Kupe: The Iphone OS can't multitask at all. No backgrounding unless you jailbreak.
    The other OS's can.

i'm mostly going to miss the gestures...
    whoa whoa whoa

The iPhone OS does multi-task. Apple's SDK prohibits multi-tasking by 3rd party applications. Jailbreaking, simply put, allows developers to get around Apple's restrictions. Trying to claim otherwise just exposes ignorance. Mulri-tasking on an iPhone no more or less an issue than using homebrew patches to modify the otherwise locked-down interface of the Palm Pre.
    I'd say the quality of apps is about the same. If the palm has the apps you need, there really is no advantage to the larger market available in android. So the questions is, does Palm have the apps you need?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    android sucks.... imho
    if you hold down the home button on an Android device, it brings up a list of running apps. Click on the icon to go right to the app.

EDIT: *Oops, didnt see that Kupe already responded*
    Because multi-tasking is multi-tasking, no matter how you color it. Android and many other phone's multi-task, they just handle it differently.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post

Yes we have homebrew and a great community, but i know for a lot of people, its waay to much effort then just buying aphone that doesnt need all these things installed on it to make it work.
    I never felt that I Needed any of the patches that I installed to make the phone work. This is an unfair characterization of the homebrew stuff.

The whole concept of apps is for outside forces to do things with the phone that the makers didn't think of or didn't want to spend resources on. Many of the patches are akin to small specialized apps.

You are right though. Most people need nothing that requires or allows any changes to be made by the user. This will be what keeps apple at the top of the hill. It works out of the box the way the manufacturer wants it to work and you have no choice in changing it. Not making it better or making it worse or breaking it.

Choice is fun. WebOS is fun. The Palm Pre is fun.
    I have found a lot more useful apps on the android market then palms app catalog. Price is another factor. Everything in palms app catalog comes with a price and android has a lot of the same apps for free. I like the pre but the app catalog has been a let down for me. I have had the same apps for months and haven't even gone into the app catalog.

I personally would choose the Incredible. 3d games are coming like NOVA which dropped today and other big games that the pre and iphone has. The only difference at this points is speed and screen size.
    If you use your phone outside in the sunlight, the Incredible's screen is difficult to see.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    I never felt that I Needed any of the patches that I installed to make the phone work. This is an unfair characterization of the homebrew stuff.

The whole concept of apps is for outside forces to do things with the phone that the makers didn't think of or didn't want to spend resources on. Many of the patches are akin to small specialized apps.

You are right though. Most people need nothing that requires or allows any changes to be made by the user. This will be what keeps apple at the top of the hill. It works out of the box the way the manufacturer wants it to work and you have no choice in changing it. Not making it better or making it worse or breaking it.

Choice is fun. WebOS is fun. The Palm Pre is fun.
    I will say that after updating my phone, I NEEDED the multiple pages and 5x4 app launcher patches back on it ASAP
    I would choose the pre plus. Mobile Hotspot,you will fimd, is indespensible. Plus,if you're like me, you'll LOVE having a physical keyboard. I'd say try the pre out and see what ya think. Good luck!
    I don't really understand why all the Verizon salespeople are down on the Pre. I've had a couple of occasions where I was looking at the Pre Plus (I have a Sprint Pre) to check out the differences and the salesguy comes and tells me how it stinks and I should get an Incredible or a Droid. When I show him my Pre and tell him what I like about it, they proceed to give me excuses on how Android can "kind of" do this and "sort of" do that.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like Android and for the most part, I think it can do the same kinds of things that the Pre can do, but it does them a bit differently. But instead of acknowledging that the positives of the Pre (they are in the business of selling them, right?) they just trash it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I will say that after updating my phone, I NEEDED the multiple pages and 5x4 app launcher patches back on it ASAP
    What is the multiple pages patch?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    What is the multiple pages patch?
    I assume he means the add/delete launcher pages... That's one of my must haves...
    Quote Originally Posted by reed4richards View Post
    I don't really understand why all the Verizon salespeople are down on the Pre. I've had a couple of occasions where I was looking at the Pre Plus (I have a Sprint Pre) to check out the differences and the salesguy comes and tells me how it stinks and I should get an Incredible or a Droid. When I show him my Pre and tell him what I like about it, they proceed to give me excuses on how Android can "kind of" do this and "sort of" do that.

Don't get me wrong, I kind of like Android and for the most part, I think it can do the same kinds of things that the Pre can do, but it does them a bit differently. But instead of acknowledging that the positives of the Pre (they are in the business of selling them, right?) they just trash it.
    I had the Motorola Droid, it is a great phone and does things well. I rooted it and was running a custom Kernel and could OC it to 1.3Ghz if I wanted to and it was fast.

The main issue I had was there was no good way to multi-task. That annoyed me to no end.

The Palm Pre gives me what I want. I could go into this more but the Pre out shines Android in some places, not all but it does in some.
    im sure they make more if the sell an iPhone or an Android phone. A salesman will sell what makes him money.
    Quote Originally Posted by surfereddie View Post
    You should probably change your user name. The Android OS and the phones IMO are for techies. You heard it here first. WEBOs will be gone in 5 years. Microsoft and Blackberry will be second tier and it will be a battle between iPhone and Android. It will shake out the same way the Apple and Microsoft did 20 plus years ago in the home computer battle. Apple had the mouse interface but did not have any applications. Applications are everything. So you're waiting for the Palm team to write them? Please! The iPhone is great because most everything works and hats off to Apple for that. Where as the Android, and Google is messing it up with their meddling trying to sell it to the carriers as a unique user experience. This is making it harder for the app developers to get it to work on every Android phone. Anyway, I moved to the Android (G1) a year ago and have never looked back. Their are so so so many apps. A lot of them are crap and but their are many that are excellent and free. You can't beat Google navigation and everything will only get better. So to the techiegirl if you were not able to "root" your phone you did not get true Android experience. To you and anybody else that crosses over if you want the best possible experience root the phone and get Cyanogen modified MOD's. Stay one MOD back from the current one and you'll have the best Android experience. HP messed up by buying Palm. I'm sure their will always be loyal followers in everything but Palm just hit the Android iceberg. So you have one manufacturer of hardware, that's never made phones before? And they are going to rely on the dwindling in house Palm staff that could not get it correct with the Pre? Compare that to every manufacturer putting out an Android phone and everybody and their brother writing Android apps. So is it going to be iPhone or Android. I chose Android but that's me. I still have a little techie in me and did not want to be constrained by Apple. Best of everything which ever side you choose. Isn't it great to be living during this time!!!
    Sorry to highjack techiegirl, but why are you posting this surfereddie? This is a forum for Palm fans, current or impending owners, and supporters of fellow users.

She gave android a try. She returned the phones. She's already given it a chance and, in her opinion, it didn't stack up.

You, on the other hand, said you moved to android a year ago. Meaning you've never owned a Pre. That's the difference between what she said and you. At least techiegirl gave android a chance. You're just making baseless (or semi-baseless) assumptions.
    Last edited by pre_daddy; 05/18/2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    Welcome Techiegirl! And you know the community here by now, if you have any questions, help is on the way.

And I agree that your shouldn't be afraid to add preware to your phone. It's just a way to add apps and patches to your phone, and all the apps and patches are made by really great devs who have made really solid software.

And the patches are really REALLY solid. You don't have to worry about screwing up your phone, and they add soo much functionality that speed up your Pre and make it work for you.

My personal favorite patches are 'Add Delete pages' so you can add more launcher pages, 'System Menu Today Menu' That puts an daily agenda in your top bar menu, and 'Faster Card Animations' for that extra speedy feel. You might find other patches that suite your needs, trust me. The Pre is a great platform and one of the things that makes it great is that there are so many ways to customize it to your personal tastes.

And don't be afraid to grab an extra battery either!

You're going to hear a lot from the community, and your own experiences will tell you a whole lot too, but personally I think you made a great choice.