View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425 LastLast
    Look into preware, and the 800mhz overclock.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    @techiegirl: please update us if you have any drop calls owith the Palm Pre

I am a diehard Palm fan.... but honestly, the Pre has the WORST signal/antenna strength phone I have ever seen

Without the Sprint Airave, I cannot use this phone at home. (the only sprint phone, and Ive used MANY)
    There are two minor spots where my Pre loses signal. Other Sprint phones never had those two dead spots.

Where are the two dead spots? The left side of my desk in my office, and the exit ramp on the freeway. Considering I still have my original Pre, I am a happy camper.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Don't be afraid of using patches and homebrew on your phone - the terminology is a little misleading, making it sound like you have to delve into the inner workings and mess around. I would state it like a car - adding cruise control and tinting the windows, as opposed to reaming out the pistons and changing the transmission.

I was nervous about entering Developer Mode for about two months, and then I got up the courage to try it. Guess what? It was simple! Palm set up WebOS specifically so that we could get more out of our phones if we wanted to! There's very little you can do to really crash your phone, and most of those things (the early overclocking, etc) were marked WITH BIG LETTERS TO BE CAREFUL DOING THIS!!! Now you can do just about anything and not worry about it.

Welcome to the community, should you decide to stay. I think the Pre is a great mini-laptop with phone capabilities. It's more versatile and more stable than the Apple/Android that I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    We had 2 incredibles, hubby's and mine. He could not make a 3 way call without dropping one caller or the other.

With me, I kept dropping calls. My coworker has a verizon flip phone and I had the incredible. Our 2 phones were side by side. She had full strength and I had no signal and was dropping calls left and right.
    Strange. The flip phone is a simpler design. I wounder if the HTC has a similar issue as the iPhone with unneeded shielding on the back. The Pre does have a touch less signal over the Palm Treos but that's about it...just a touch off. Hey, after you play with it in the store and think you want to go for it, will they let you return it also, not that you will? Once you have a Pre and start using it all bets might be off. None the less, if you do get the Pre, please let us know what you think of it compared to the iPhone and HTC.
    Found my keys!!
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    I don't not want to hack/jailbreak/root, whatever they call it in WebOs terms.

Actually you dont do any of that, you can download the patches from preware just like you would download an app from the app store ::smile::

Anyone here would be happy to help you get the most out of your phone, without doing anything except downloading an app. Just let us know what you want to do, and we can assist you step by step.
    I went ahead and got 2 new Palm Pre Plus's. The Verizon lady pointed out that this will be our final exchange, so I proceeded to tell her that I'm still within 30 days of my service and told her if the phone doesn't work, we'll cancel and go to Sprint.

Meanwhile I turned on hotspot and was tethering at 300+. It's not the best, but considering I had very little signal on my night stand and floating between 3g and 1x, I'm happy.
    Hi, my phone is due for an upgrade at Verizon and I am having trouble deciding between a Palm Pre Plus or a HTC Incredible. I was wondering if anyone who experienced both the devices can tell me what they like and dislike about each device. Thanks!!
    Pre advantages: touchstone, synergy, mobile hotspot, openssh/rsync (if that matters to you), and the UI

Incredible advantages: better hardware (gorilla glass screen, faster proc, higher res, better camera, etc.) and more apps
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    It boils down to what you want to use it for, the Pre is more compact, with a better OS and user experience, where as the Incredible has a bigger and better screen and camera.

If you plan on watching a lot of videos then I'd say go with the Incredible, otherwise the Pre+ would probably serve you better in the long run. I just dumped my Nexus One, similar to the Incredible, for the Pre+ and I'm not sorry.
    @techiegirl: please update us if you have any drop calls owith the Palm Pre

I am a diehard Palm fan.... but honestly, the Pre has the WORST signal/antenna strength phone I have ever seen

Without the Sprint Airave, I cannot use this phone at home. (the only sprint phone, and Ive used MANY)
    Maybe it has to do with your carrier/location?

The Pre is by far the healthiest phone I have ever owned when it comes to signal and call quality and I've always been with Bell and lived in the same area.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Without the Sprint Airave, I cannot use this phone at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Maybe it has to do with your carrier/location?

The Pre is by far the healthiest phone I have ever owned when it comes to signal and call quality and I've always been with Bell and lived in the same area.

I can say it probably has to do with carrier location, as I had a sprint phone and could not get a signal at my location.
    I had the iPhone 3G in the New York Tri-state area. The 3G signal was subpar at best. Though NYC has usable 2G coverage it was fine for quick searches or updates. I hated having to pay for 3G prices when 3G never worked consistently enough. Now that I have a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon I haven't had any dropped calls or any problems with 3G dropping. I even had a problem making calls day one with the device. I was receiving data, but not voice. Called BigRed from my girlfriends phone and had my service up and running in less than half an hour. Welcome to the Family. It's good to see the support in here.
    I'd say go with the htc...as for now its much better and mature then what we have, the sense UI is pretty damn amazing,

Yes we have homebrew and a great community, but i know for a lot of people, its waay to much effort then just buying aphone that doesnt need all these things installed on it to make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseven View Post
    I had the iPhone 3G in the New York Tri-state area. The 3G signal was subpar at best. Though NYC has usable 2G coverage it was fine for quick searches or updates. I hated having to pay for 3G prices when 3G never worked consistently enough. Now that I have a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon I haven't had any dropped calls or any problems with 3G dropping. I even had a problem making calls day one with the device. I was receiving data, but not voice. Called BigRed from my girlfriends phone and had my service up and running in less than half an hour. Welcome to the Family. It's good to see the support in here.
    It's the iPhone.

I was in NYC in Manhattan on a business trip, and was staying in the Financial district for an entire week. Hotel Wi-Fi was so expensive, so I got an AT&T prepaid card and use my old Nokia E51 for internet. Flick on Joikuspot an browse away. Speed wasn't spectacular but it was fairly usable. Never had a dropped call throughout my stay. And it's given that my E51 only supported one UMTS frequency on AT&T instead of two
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Don't be afraid of using patches and homebrew on your phone - the terminology is a little misleading, ...

...! Palm set up WebOS specifically so that we could get more out of our phones if we wanted to! .
    +1

I just want to add that after you get WebOS Quick Install (WOSQI) up and running and use it to load Preware .. it is SUPER easy to use homebrew and patches. Preware becomes an app on your phone.

(Note: WOSQI is also easy to use, but to use it you have to have your Pre connected to the PC using the USB cable.)

But ... you launch Preware directly on your phone (just like you would the official Pre App Catalog) and then select/install the items you want, just like any 'official' app.

You don't have to know how to 'hack into your phone' or 'root it' or 'manually modify ANYTHING" ... the developers in this community are amazing!
    Buy the phone, you won't be disappointed.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Don't be afraid of using patches and homebrew on your phone - the terminology is a little misleading, making it sound like you have to delve into the inner workings and mess around. I would state it like a car - adding cruise control and tinting the windows, as opposed to reaming out the pistons and changing the transmission.

I was nervous about entering Developer Mode for about two months, and then I got up the courage to try it. Guess what? It was simple! Palm set up WebOS specifically so that we could get more out of our phones if we wanted to! There's very little you can do to really crash your phone, and most of those things (the early overclocking, etc) were marked WITH BIG LETTERS TO BE CAREFUL DOING THIS!!! Now you can do just about anything and not worry about it.

Welcome to the community, should you decide to stay. I think the Pre is a great mini-laptop with phone capabilities. It's more versatile and more stable than the Apple/Android that I've seen.
    I love webos, but once both webos and android are rooted, android is way more versatile.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    1. Install preware (takes 10 minutes and very easy)
    2. Install patches to your liking
    3. Install freetether
    4. Install govnah and uber-kernal for overclocking. Very easy.
    5. Buy a touchstone, use it, love it.

+1
    I thought I was going crazy when I first purchased this phone last June. The signal strength on this is horrendous for some reason. Its unusable at work where i spend 10hrs a day at which is needless to say, problematic. i used 4 other Pre's all with the same failings, FML
    Last edited by TreoDaddeo6; 05/16/2010 at 10:48 AM.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    woah whoa woah

@Kupe: The Iphone OS can't multitask at all. No backgrounding unless you jailbreak.
    The other OS's can.

i'm mostly going to miss the gestures...