View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425 LastLast
    Friend got an Incredible, and from owning my pre, I find that the HTC Incredible does far from multi-tasking. Its more like it can run a few apps in the background, but you can't easily switch apps. You have to go home and reload another program...

The commercial I always see says multi-tasking and taking names or chewing gum and walking at the same time.

Am I missing something? This is my frist real hands on with an Android/HTC device, and I find it rather clumsy, but the app selection obviously is great.

Does the phone multi-task and I am missing it? Or its all just marketing I assume.
    I think the better question is why didn't palm think of anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In computing, multitasking is a method by which multiple tasks, also known as processes, share common processing resources such as a CPU (Link)
    I think you're getting multi-tasking confused with task switching. Both the Pre and the Android (and Windows Mobile and iPhone OS although it's artificially limited by the developer) are considered full multi-tasking OSes. When my Droid boots up, it loads ~20 apps into the background so that they can start downloading and synching with online services so Androids are clearly multi-taskers too.

The ease of switching apps has little to do with the concept of multi-tasking, even though a functional task switcher is generally considered essential to a device's utility. App-switching probably falls under the category of usability (interface), but it's independent of a computer's multi-tasking capability.

Android has a very functional, built in task-switcher that allows the user to switch between the last 6 accessed apps in an instant. Switching between additional apps (beyond 6) either requires a somewhat convoluted process, or the use of one of the many 3rd party task-switchers available for Android.

WebOS has a visually appealing task switcher with its cards metaphor which is easier to learn, but slower than an Android for less than six apps, faster than an Android for apps 7 to about 12, then about equal for more apps than that (thumbing through card after card vs opening an arcane task switcher).

Hope that clears things up for you.
    its great marketing. Android does multi-task. the UI is clunky, but otherwise it multitasks well. Palm decided to market the less cared about features of their phone instead of coming up with this great idea first.
    I switched from AT&T (iPhone) to Verizon due to cell service issues and purchased the HTC Incredible. Today, I took both Incredibles back and asked for a Palm Pre Plus. The Verizon employee started trashing Palm and talking me into keeping the Incredible.

The truth is I know nothing about the Pre, which is why I'm here. I was a long time Palm user prior to switching to the iPhone. Everybody thinks I'm crazy for leaving the iPhone and the Incredible for the Pre.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start reading this list. I have a lot to learn.
    Curious this being the first thread about anyone taking back an Incredible (I think), What was it that made you think about the Pre over the HTC? Is there something you did not like about the HTC? I'm not leaving Palm. I am Palm lifer but would like to hear your thoughts. That would give us a place to start in helping you.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 05/15/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    First question you should ask yourself is if you wanna delve into homebrew and patching your phone. If you do, then you just opened a whole new world of unlocking the full potential of your phone.
    it's android. I went from palm pre to android and back to palm pre. Android is a bad ugly os. That's all I'm gonna say. And download preware and over clock your new pre cause it's 100 times better on 800mhz
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I own a Sprint Pre.

Don't be fooled. The representatives go a little overboard. The phone isn't bad.

First of all, since you have Verizon, your signal should be good, meaning you should have decent/good battery nonetheless... But at 1150mAh (incredible is at 1350mAh) you may want an extended battery.

The hardware quality... Meh, you may like the Pre's pocketability... but the screen size is meh. Screen for the size is good. Crisp, strong colors.
    However, the Incredible has more pixels packed in.

More apps on Android. Pretty good games on Pre though.
    With sense the usage is better, but most agree the user interface on the Pre is unbeatable. The card metaphor is great.

With overclocking and scaling, the Pre is great. It's not even that hard to learn.
    However, the Android crew is good with kernels too. There is homebrew in both communities.

However, I would personally choose the Incredible... WebOS really needs new hardware.
    Last edited by Kedar; 05/15/2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Better integration of email, maps, contacts, apps etc. Everything works together saving several steps as you just plain do things with the phone.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    We had 2 incredibles, hubby's and mine. He could not make a 3 way call without dropping one caller or the other.

With me, I kept dropping calls. My coworker has a verizon flip phone and I had the incredible. Our 2 phones were side by side. She had full strength and I had no signal and was dropping calls left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Curious this being the first thread about anyone taking back an Incredible (I think), What was it that made you think about the Pre over the HTC? Is there something you did not like about the HTC? I'm not leaving Palm. I am Palm lifer but would like to hear your thoughts. That would give us a place to start in helping you.
    BTDT with the Android (Nexus One). I don't not want to hack/jailbreak/root, whatever they call it in WebOs terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    First question you should ask yourself is if you wanna delve into homebrew and patching your phone. If you do, then you just opened a whole new world of unlocking the full potential of your phone.
    My suggestion is to tell the VZW sells to shut up (well, politely, of course) and let you play with the demo Pre for a while. I still don't understand why all those VZW people like to trash talk on Palm.

Go in and play with the Pre without asking what the sells thinks. Just remember that there is a gesture area with swipes up, swipe left (back); and taping on the top left corner of any app does the same as in Palm OS. That's the learning curve.

After testing out the phone for a while, I believe it's pretty easy for you to decide if you like it or not. webOS is all about the user interface, you never knew webOS before you played with it.
    Well TechieGirl, if you are lucky enough to get an HARDWARE PAIN FREE PRE, i will say GO FOR IT.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    BTDT with the Android (Nexus One). I don't not want to hack/jailbreak/root, whatever they call it in WebOs terms.
    I've been rollin a stock pre for over 6 months and love it(too much). Some say it's a hooptie stock, but I find it very capable. If your a app junky the app store may disappoint. Call quality and reception on my sprint pre is awesome and since sprint is so crappy to so many people, you'll be fine there with vz. I suggest you tell the reps you want to test drive it.
    @techiegirl: please update us if you have any drop calls owith the Palm Pre

I am a diehard Palm fan.... but honestly, the Pre has the WORST signal/antenna strength phone I have ever seen

Without the Sprint Airave, I cannot use this phone at home. (the only sprint phone, and Ive used MANY)
    I would suggest Preware and OC your phone - :P

I switched from the Motorola Droid.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Never had any signal or call quality issues with either one of my Pres.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i dont see my self using an android phone..i've played with the droid and mytouch and hands down i will stick with my preeeeeee...as soon as new webos phone is out i'll be all over it...