View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elessarelfstar View Post
    cool. What I've been saying all along is that android and Sense UI are good, they just haven't had powerful enough hardware yet. The hero was/is underpowered. I must say I think the same thing about webos - its on underpowered hardware.

Android also has the advantage of being established - 50k+ apps, 2nd in smartphone sales last quarter. More and more often the same app that is available on the iphone is a available on android... Well minus games, but I'd rather have other apps over games.

I really hope that HP helps Palm move into that area too. We'll see.

correct they are more established like Web OS will be eventually, so all good things comes to those that wait. When buying a new phone remember if the OS fits your needs then go with it, dont look at the hardware otherwise you'll end up doing what everyone else out here does (the reason googles #2) keep buying the same phone just with a bump here or there is specs.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    If you like the Android so much go to their site and tell them about it...honestly I am tired of everyone coming here (where we actually enjoy webos) to say how they are "jumping ship". Just walk the plank and jump! Good riddens to all of you who leave, it will make this forum what it used to be, enjoyable!
    Actually, the conventional wisdom about Android and iPhone being where the money is is wrong.

Ever try and sell your new, cool app on a store with 200,000 choices?

How do you get people to even know your app exists?

Lots of companies are doing quite well selling their apps on the webOS platform, since their app has a chance of getting showcased. Whereas, if you write a decent iPhone app and it's lucky enough to get past the Apple censors, it goes straight into the App Store to be lost in a flood of boob jiggle apps, fart apps, and Brighthouse "crapps."
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Android has games too. There was a link somewhere....

While most people hate the talk of switching over, I think it is good.

1. People make threads about the Evo and other phones because it worries them. With the user interface WebOS has vs. the hardware Android has, people are left in a big predicament.
    2. If Palm manages to look at what people think, they could surprise them come June.
    3. TBH, 99% of Palm's problems will be solved with new hardware.

So these threads bring about what Sprint consumers want, and Palm can hopefully live up to that. It just brings something to the table.
    I am pretty sure android is way behind in 3D gaming. The other issue still remains that not all those apps run on all hardware and all versions of the os that are out there. From a dev standpoint its becoming very difficult to code for "android" as a whole vs having to target pieces of it.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    While most people hate the talk of switching over, I think it is good.
    I agree. I've been with Palm since owning a Palm 1000. I've been looking to replace my 755p and this is the summer to do it. I do post now at AndroidCentral, but like others, I am holding out hope that Palm recovers and puts out a device with outstanding hardware, and and an ever maturing WebOS. IMHO, Android has bolted past Palm, but WebOS is so promising that many of us hang around here to plead with Palm (they do check these forums) to turn catch up, fast.

Most likely I will be getting the EVO next month. But, as a Sprint Premier customer, I would be happy to get a WebOS phone next summer, if Palm delivers the goods. Like others, I'm wishing that this would happen, or at least be announced, before the EVO comes out.
    Running my Pre at 800mhz I don't get much lag at all. I can only imagine how fast the new Pre will be with a faster CPU.

If I was leaning toward the Evo or an Incredible I would wait and see what Palm has up their sleeve first.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Running my Pre at 800mhz I don't get much lag at all. I can only imagine how fast the new Pre will be with a faster CPU.

If I was leaning toward the Evo or an Incredible I would wait and see what Palm has up their sleeve first.
    Yeah, better hardware will make webos much better. The average consumer has no idea that an overclock (or even precentral forums for that matter) exists. So new hardware could make webos really shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

But iphone will be that much faster.. and android. Hopefully the webos rewrite will help with speed. Pre had a fast processor for it's time.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    But iphone will be that much faster.. and android. Hopefully the webos rewrite will help with speed. Pre had a fast processor for it's time.
    I don't think they need to rewrite anything. WebOS on a 1ghz CPU would be just as fast as an iPhone or Android phone running at 1ghz.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by tlower View Post
    If you like the Android so much go to their site and tell them about it...honestly I am tired of everyone coming here (where we actually enjoy webos) to say how they are "jumping ship". Just walk the plank and jump! Good riddens to all of you who leave, it will make this forum what it used to be, enjoyable!
    There's a reason I posted in the "other handhelds" section of the forum. At this moment I own a Pre and would like to discuss my feelings about android with other Pre users. Seems appropriate enough for me.

I agree with many of you that say WebOs will be just as fast with a faster processor. The big question for me is how long will I have to wait? In the coming month or two I have to decide if I want to wait it out until Palm decides to make an announcement or just leave Palm and see what else is out there. I still have some hope for Palm, but its May... next month is June, and I'll be due for my upgrade. Still haven't heard anything other than "C40" which means nothing to me or anyone else around here. I hope Palm will at least make an announcement before the Evo4G comes out, cause I really don't think they can deal with a huge exodus of customers. Personally I like not having the most common phone out there, but more phones = more apps, more apps = more phones... we all know this cycle.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Next Palm just needs a 1Ghz cpu, with the current GPU and a gig of ram. Give us two choices, 1 with software keyboard and 3.7" screen, the other a slider with 3.5" screen and a smaller gesture area but in a similar form factor to the current Pre. My guess is the slider would be more expensive to make, but would be a nod to current Pre users liking the form factor. The other would be for those that want a solid wow phone like the Evo or the iphone.

I don't care about a huge phone, the Pre is the perfect size for me, but I do love the keyboard and wouldn't mind more speed. It tends to stutter with 10 apps open.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Actually, the conventional wisdom about Android and iPhone being where the money is is wrong.

Ever try and sell your new, cool app on a store with 200,000 choices?

How do you get people to even know your app exists?

Lots of companies are doing quite well selling their apps on the webOS platform, since their app has a chance of getting showcased. Whereas, if you write a decent iPhone app and it's lucky enough to get past the Apple censors, it goes straight into the App Store to be lost in a flood of boob jiggle apps, fart apps, and Brighthouse "crapps."
    Yeah...just ask the Doodle Jump guys. Or Tapulous. Or Backflip Studios. Or the people who did I am T-Pain. Or....
    i was just thinking about it... I'm getting pretty excited about Android, but there are some things that I'd really miss about my Pre. I mentioned gestures.. and of course there's cards view multitasking which works amazingly well. But besides that there's my touchstone.. charging without plugging my phone in is pretty awesome. It would be more awesome if I could do copy stuff back and forth to my computer wirelessly as well without third party software but thats a different discussion. Also there's all the synergy stuff that I'd really miss, but from what I hear android does have a limited capability for that. I guess every phone's gonna have its benefits, but I'm always looking for that one perfect one
    I also got to play with a friend's Incredible today. Very nice device, and yes, with the hardware, it's very fast. I'm still much happier with webOS, though; while the UI for the Incredible tries to mirror some of webOS' features (notably a cards-like swipe interface), it still does not multitask as seamlessly as does webOS. Additionally, there's still the glass keyboard to deal with; I much prefer a physical keyboard.

All I could think when playing with it, though, was, "Just imagine webOS on this level of hardware!"

Now that would be truly incredible. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I just went from a palm pre to an HTC hero and now im back to a new palm pre today. Bottom line... I hated android. Android was fast.. like everything just pops right up instant so I dont really see how the incredible being faster can make a big difference at all. The heros hardware was solid. Much better than the pre but I hated android and couldnt get over it after a month. Its an ugly blocky os with menus all over. Lots of apps dont work and force close and the multitasking wasnt fun at all. Even the app store was ugly and out of the 50000 apps I couldnt find a thing. The notifications and email are a joke and I couldnt stand it. The pre does everything better and looks refined BUT it does it slower without the overclock patch anyway. Im back on pre and happy now. I wont be jumping ship for anything thats not webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I also got to play with a friend's Incredible today. Very nice device, and yes, with the hardware, it's very fast. I'm still much happier with webOS, though; while the UI for the Incredible tries to mirror some of webOS' features (notably a cards-like swipe interface), it still does not multitask as seamlessly as does webOS. Additionally, there's still the glass keyboard to deal with; I much prefer a physical keyboard.

All I could think when playing with it, though, was, "Just imagine webOS on this level of hardware!"

Now that would be truly incredible. {Jonathan}
    I completely agree WebOS on that kind of hardware would be pretty awesome. Really would like to see if the lag disappears. A solid hardware feel would be nice too. Maybe I'll try the 800Mhz patch one of these days and see how that goes. I just didn't want my phone to reboot more than it does already.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I just went from a palm pre to an HTC hero and now im back to a new palm pre today. Bottom line... I hated android. Android was fast.. like everything just pops right up instant so I dont really see how the incredible being faster can make a big difference at all. The heros hardware was solid. Much better than the pre but I hated android and couldnt get over it after a month. Its an ugly blocky os with menus all over. Lots of apps dont work and force close and the multitasking wasnt fun at all. Even the app store was ugly and out of the 50000 apps I couldnt find a thing. The notifications and email are a joke and I couldnt stand it. The pre does everything better and looks refined BUT it does it slower without the overclock patch anyway. Im back on pre and happy now. I wont be jumping ship for anything thats not webos.
    Thanks for your experience with an android device after being a webos user. I know I got excited about android, but I get the feeling I'd be exactly like you if I actually did end up switching to it. Still hoping I won't have to make that decision and Palm will impress me soon! Please please please!
    Last edited by schnoid; 05/11/2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Question for OP. Are you running an 800mhz kernel? I've found that my 800mhz pre is as fast as an iphone for scrolling around the app launcher. Apps launch almost as fast.

Are you making your comments about how fast the incredible is based on comparing to a stock Pre or one with the 800mhz kernel?

Thanks

Ps. I don't mind the discussion of other phones (this is the cross-platform forum) but I wish this would just be added to one of the 50 identical threads on the topic. In other words, let's have ONE thread about the Incredible, one about EVO, etc.

Looking forward to your response. Not because I plan to get one, but because I want to be informed if/when one of my friends asks about it... since all I do now is praise the Pre like a phanboi...

It makes it soooo much easier for those of us that use the search engine to find stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    About the size: What about lugging it around? It is one thing to not seem too large while using. Its another if it will be a huge block on your hip, etc.

Just curious of what you thought.
    Really good question (sorry I just noticed your post). I may have to ask my friend to let me try it out again and test this out. I can definitely imagine that it may be too large to carry around in your front pocket. Seems thin though, so I'm thinking that might make up for the length.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Question for OP. Are you running an 800mhz kernel? I've found that my 800mhz pre is as fast as an iphone for scrolling around the app launcher. Apps launch almost as fast.

Are you making your comments about how fast the incredible is based on comparing to a stock Pre or one with the 800mhz kernel?

Thanks

Ps. I don't mind the discussion of other phones (this is the cross-platform forum) but I wish this would just be added to one of the 50 identical threads on the topic. In other words, let's have ONE thread about the Incredible, one about EVO, etc.

Looking forward to your response. Not because I plan to get one, but because I want to be informed if/when one of my friends asks about it... since all I do now is praise the Pre like a phanboi...

It makes it soooo much easier for those of us that use the search engine to find stuff.
    I admittedly have not yet tried the 800Mhz patch and have heard very good things about it but worry that it may make my phone extremely unstable. As it is my phone crashes more than it should and gets really REALLY hot. I've heard newer Pres have better build quality, and actually I'm getting mine replaced this week since I still have one of the original oreo/bad keyboard/faulty headset port Pres. I'm really hoping most of my issues will be solved and maybe running an 800Mhz patch on it will give me some patience to wait for something new from Palm.

Sorry if there was another relevant thread about the Incredible but all the threads I've seen lately are about the Evo4G and how great its going to be even though no one has any hands on experience with it. I feel that the incredible is the closest thing to the Evo4G that I can get my hands on and get an idea of things to come.

Side note: I'm gonna feel like a total ***** if I do end up switching to android cause I've gotten at least 5 or 6 people that I know of to buy a Pre because of what I've told them. Oops