View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    not sure but I think so far only the droid has gotten the update, showing so far only that the nexus one, and incrediable run 2.1 I may be wrong. If thats the case my peoples has a droid, and Ive used it a few times playing some games on it, and surfing the web (though his phone is overclocked like my pre) 2.1 does seem to make the phone fly. That being said though that may be the reason why the Hero, eris, and everything else keeps getting delayed when it comes to the update to 2.1 (even flash on android devices has to be running 2.1 weak hardware) so you may be right regarding that.
    I think Droid has the specs to run 2.1. The others on 1.5/6 were less. So you have phones optimized for 1.5/6 trying to run 2.1, that's my thought on why everything may be running slower. Although some have said they rooted the older phones and installed 2.1 without waiting for the official version. I'd like to see more reports of performance from them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I would like to add something here regarding Palm's webos issue. Palm did mess up launching exclusive to sprint first, but not only did they already have a great relationship, Palm was already bleeding alot of cash and as you know wasnt even ready to release the Pre then. Second if they had tried to release it any sooner on any other carrier, they would have been sitting on more inverntory then they are now (think of it they didnt even have simple things like video recording for months). I'm pretty pretty sure they didnt think they had more pull then Apple, I dont think even Google even at this point does in the matter. Palm (though through madd stumbles, but was expected with little cash, and a brand new OS) survived the storm. Having the idea to get Web OS out there to consumers hoping to sell enough units along the way while optimizing it, to make enough money to stay afloat and release something better with a complete OS. As Rubenstien stated when he got to the company thinking independently, it was going to be a 10 year rebuilding project of Palm. So no I don't think he ever thought Palm was not only in a great position like there competitors (and we all know they are not), or looking to turn around the company in a years time.
    I think the Sprint exclusive was too long and killed sales, not to mention way too close to the iPhone 3GS release. The Pre Plus should have also gone on sale faster on Verizon. Rubenstein was correct, Droid beat the crap out of you because you were late to the table AGAIN.

http://www.androidcentral.com/palm-c...n-bigger-droid

AT&T is slow as molasses and yet released an Android phone(even if not ideal one) before the US GSM Pre Plus, now set for the 16th if AT&T doesn't blow it again. I read May 2nd was the original date. How come everything else is released on time but Palm phones? Also the Pre line itself is almost a year old and just now getting a US GSM release?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    the exclusive didn't kills sales. subpar hardware and abysmal marketing did. If the hardware was solid and palm knew how to market a phone like Apple, HTC and Motorola, this wouldn't even be a discussion right now, plain and simple. Droid beating them to the punch? Wouldn't have mattered unless a solid marketing campaign followed. Palm could've been first and then as soon as the droid commercials hit, Palm would've been dead in the water yet again.

As I mentioned, the Eris, Hero and Moment run 1.5. 1.5 was not made for cdma use. That was introduced in 1.6. So there is nothing "optimal" about running 1.5 on them. 2.1 is not more processor intensive. If anything it is more efficient and with native CDMA support. If you want reports on 2.1 running on these devices, go search on the android forums. There are many running 2.1 on all three devices, and there is a lot of chatter on quite a few forums. Many are also running on non stock versions of 1.5 with improved kernels and less bloat. These are also running more efficiently than the stock releases from the carriers. There is a problem with 2.1 on the Moment where there is a CDMA hangup that causes massive battery drain. Without proper access to the kernel it can't be rectified. I've relegated mine to wifi use until the problem can be fixed, if it can be fixed.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I agree that marketing killed the Pre sales also. I didn't try the hardware so I can't really comment on that, but yes I saw complaints all over the forum.

But Sprint for 6 months was still not a good choice either IMO. They could have made the Pre available for fall release on other carriers. And released GSM faster. People were not willing to move to Sprint in droves, plain and simple.

Thanks for the report on 2.1, I'll be looking. Didn't the OP say that 2.1 was running slow? I thought he said that, that's why I responded to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree that marketing killed the Pre sales also. I didn't try the hardware so I can't really comment on that, but yes I saw complaints all over the forum.

But Sprint for 6 months was still not a good choice either IMO. They could have made the Pre available for fall release on other carriers. And released GSM faster. People were not willing to move to Sprint in droves, plain and simple.

Thanks for the report on 2.1, I'll be looking. Didn't the OP say that 2.1 was running slow? I thought he said that, that's why I responded to it.
    OP has never used android 2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    It's not faster and more optimized from what I've seen. The few legacy devices that received a 2.1 update run much slower, from what I've observed.

That's part of Android's problem -- it says "of course it's better, it's 2.1 instead of 1.6!" But it cannot explain, concretely, what's changed for the better. Meanwhile, user experience is, well, exactly the same.
    This is what I was responding to, found it.

This is what I was responding to, found it.
    I know, I responded to it to. But when you keep going on It's obvious he know nothing about 2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I know, I responded to it to. But when you keep going on It's obvious he know nothing about 2.1.
    I said so many "smart" things in this thread to Mr. Miller that my brain hurts from writing it in this forum, but he chooses to ignore all my better points and repeates himself.

Very frustrating.
    You can't just make that blanket statement making Sprint the culprit. People had no real reason to run to sprint to buy the Pre because the masses knew nothing great and wonderful about the phone whatsoever. If anything, they were creeped out and perplexed. There wasn't one commercial, ad, radio spot and so on that extolled the things that made webOS great. Outside of "hey, check out this cool phone on Jimmy Fallon" there was pretty much nothing. They couldn't even convince Howard Stern it was great. Checking out his Lotus notes while texting and listening to music in the background would've had him talking up a storm about it.

The Instinct had a better marketing campaign. It attracted quite a few and then made them regret it because the phone was a POS. So to just lay it on Sprint isn't very fair.
    People were not willing to move to Sprint in droves, plain and simple.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    You missed the posts on other message boards then. Sprint exclusive didn't help. I'm sorry but that's what other people said.

I'm not saying the marketing wasn't bad, because it certainly was for sure. I'm just saying that Sprint was questionable in reputation at the time and people weren't moving. I really wish they'd done the launch on Verizon a lot better too because that carrier does have a good rep.

Of course now the Evo is coming, suddenly Sprint looks good to people, LOL! Fickle consumers.

You missed the posts on other message boards then. Sprint exclusive didn't help. I'm sorry but that's what other people said.

I'm not saying the marketing wasn't bad, because it certainly was for sure. I'm just saying that Sprint was questionable in reputation at the time and people weren't moving. I really wish they'd done the launch on Verizon a lot better too because that carrier does have a good rep.

Of course now the Evo is coming, suddenly Sprint looks good to people, LOL! Fickle consumers.
    It's all about the 4G, the 4.3" screen, and of course Mr. Snap and his Dragon.
    I think the Sprint exclusive was too long and killed sales, not to mention way too close to the iPhone 3GS release. The Pre Plus should have also gone on sale faster on Verizon. Rubenstein was correct, Droid beat the crap out of you because you were late to the table AGAIN.

http://www.androidcentral.com/palm-c...n-bigger-droid

AT&T is slow as molasses and yet released an Android phone(even if not ideal one) before the US GSM Pre Plus, now set for the 16th if AT&T doesn't blow it again. I read May 2nd was the original date. How come everything else is released on time but Palm phones? Also the Pre line itself is almost a year old and just now getting a US GSM release?

I agree launching it near the iphone 3Gs was not smart, due to the pre not being a finished product out the gate. Though I think its again because of money they didn’t have to produce enough units to launch with, the reason why it took them months to release it after showing it off at the CES that year. True the droid did kill the palm pre plus sales, but imagine a pre on Verizon in November or December without video recording, still very laggy, very very bad battery life, less then a thousand applications. I'm sure it still would have sold, but with Verizon’s balls to the wall inspections, and approval for devices the pre proboloy would have still failed submission. I agree with you on AT&T launch though, I would have released the pre plus simultaneously on both carriers (Verizon and AT&T), but I assume it was because of little money available which caused slow production. We have to remember Palm was working only with a couple of hundred million of cash on hand for production, marketing, designs etc most companies alone use what Palm had cash on hand for marketing alone. We can just hope they do release it on 05/16 and that C40 phone is released for the fall so it gives them time to work on further projects with HP.
    as a pre owner since launch. I could never. ever tell some one to get this phone or any webos phone right now. they would hate me. its slow. its glitchy and even with the 800 mhz patch witch is burden to have on when an update come and downloads by it self(trust me on that one). here you go

why to get a pre:
    multitasking is second to none
    very pretty looking os
    preware
    compact
    free moblie hotstop
    cheap

why not to get a pre
    slow very very slow
    bad hardware (i have had 2 pres)
    no good apps
    boring homescreen
    you have to hack to make it usable

why to get the incredible
    great hardware
    pretty htc sense
    lots of apps
    great homescreen with widgets

why not to get incredible
    long time to get updates
    verizon is so much more expensive then sprint (hehe had to sneak that in there)
    So I know this isn't going to make me the most popular guy around here, but I thought I'd share my thoughts. Honestly, normally I'd be one of the ones out there saying how ridiculous this post is cause WebOS is so much better, etc etc...

Anyways, my friend just got a droid incredible and I was gonna look at it and be like, oh, well its heavy, its big, the OS is slow and crappy. But when I held it, it really was impressive. It's light, not too bulky, huge screen, feels decent in the hand, feels waaay more solid than the Pre and overall pretty sleek. When I unlocked the screen and started playing with it is when I got really excited! Wait, no lag? Seriously? You mean i can jump around from app to app without waiting 5-10 seconds?!? Everything just felt... FAST! I've been with Pre since day one, and I've always had issues with the hardware, but I thought WebOS was the most amazing thing ever! I dunno if its the OS or the processor or what, but I didn't feel even the slightest hint of lag the whole time I used the Incredible. Granted it took me a bit to get used to using a back button and not swipe back and forth (which I love), but overall it wasn't too annoying. I honestly didn't try using the on screen keyboard, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it as much as a physical keyboard.

I guess my point is, I think android may have a serious shot of winning me over. I'm able to upgrade in June and the Evo 4G is coming out soon, so who knows... I may be jumping ship. I'm still rooting for you though Palm! I hope a phone comes out or at least gets announced in the next few months that really just wows me.
    About the size: What about lugging it around? It is one thing to not seem too large while using. Its another if it will be a huge block on your hip, etc.

Just curious of what you thought.
    hmmm there's more and more people on here sayin how android isn't so bad. Never dealt with android but am def gettin a evo wen it comes out. Jus to kno that android isn't as bad as everyone says is jus comforting to say the least. So thanks again for posting. Can't wait to webcam chat from the evo!
    I wonder if all the 4G features of the Evo will be available through Wifi seeing how I don't live in a 4G area.

Also I did get a chance to see and feel the incredible and it felt very solid and surprisingly light. But wow are the Verizon sales people idiots!
    that's an interesting point. That's y I don't think they would charge for 4g seein as how it's not available everywhere. I believe I read sumwhere that they wouldn't charge extra but who knows...
    i went to the Verizon store to play with the incredible. man it's a really fast phone. i'll be jumping ship too. when the EVO comes out.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    cool. What I've been saying all along is that android and Sense UI are good, they just haven't had powerful enough hardware yet. The hero was/is underpowered. I must say I think the same thing about webos - its on underpowered hardware.

Android also has the advantage of being established - 50k+ apps, 2nd in smartphone sales last quarter. More and more often the same app that is available on the iphone is a available on android... Well minus games, but I'd rather have other apps over games.

I really hope that HP helps Palm move into that area too. We'll see.