View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    I haven't yet seen a decent explanation -- in real terms -- of why 2.1 is a 'big jump' from 1.6.

And the Droid has been a rough road for Verizon. Every time I'm in the store, someone is trying to return it to get something else -- usually a BlackBerry (or recently, Incredibles).

When I get a 2.1 device, I'll post more detailed feedback. If I'm wrong and there's some hidden magical experience that's vastly superior to prior Android releases that doesn't shine after a couple hours' use, I'll be sure to mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    So you're saying you don't see any speed improvement over say an Eris or a Hero? Or are you comparing it to the Nexus 1?
    I have, and see a huge improvement in speed, and useablity from lets say a 1.5 sprint hero (which I had as a second line for 6 months, I liked that phone alot) to a nexus 1, or incrediable. Google has made alot of ground from when they first launched alot! (I had a G1 for a year). Though I give credit when credit is due, thats why I give credit to Palm beside being a Web OS satisfied customer, even palm as independent as they were with little money too they still addressed concernes with numerious updates as soon as they could. They allowed the homebrew community to patch, and make appliactions themselves. Not taking nothing away from Android, but understand Web OS still isnt even a year old on a device yet, and has made leaps to when it first launched(I too was a beta tester lol sprint 06/09). THe reason I made the jump was because through it all Palm is a repatable company, pioneers in the business long before most of the current competitors. They know how to make a phone, a operating system, a device (though times has changed). Web OS being the first and currently only Web KIt OS, I just believe with now an abundence of funds, they will be able to do things at a faster rate, and on a larger scale then any other company, just do to the blueprint Web OS is built under. Lets face it Applications can be aquired (look at google already catching up to apple). Top of the line devices, with top of the line specs, and chipsets can be bought now. So in the end as long as HP delievers which I believe looking at their track record, at the end of the day sitting in front of your face at a store will be not how much bigger the screen is, not what snapdragon chip is used, not how many applications it has, it will come down to one thing and one thing only which OS will fit your lifestyle the best period.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I haven't yet seen a decent explanation -- in real terms -- of why 2.1 is a 'big jump' from 1.6.

And the Droid has been a rough road for Verizon. Every time I'm in the store, someone is trying to return it to get something else -- usually a BlackBerry (or recently, Incredibles).

When I get a 2.1 device, I'll post more detailed feedback. If I'm wrong and there's some hidden magical experience that's vastly superior to prior Android releases that doesn't shine after a couple hours' use, I'll be sure to mention it.
    If you want a detailed explanation, go to youtube and look up a comparison, got to androidforums.com and look it up, GOOGLE IT!!!

And I find it hard to believe people have been having big problems with the droid the way its performing so successful unlike the pre plus.

And yes get a 2.1 device!
    The argument that "it's selling well, thus it must not suck" doesn't really fly in technology. If it was true, it would suggest that Windows 3.0 was vastly superior to Mac OS 7, or that netbooks are far better than high-end gaming rigs.
    But if it did suck you would hear about people returning it in masses like you do with the pre. You just dont hear that with the droid. And just hearing that from you is really really really hard to believe.
    The argument that "it's selling well, thus it must not suck" doesn't really fly in technology. If it was true, it would suggest that Windows 3.0 was vastly superior to Mac OS 7, or that netbooks are far better than high-end gaming rigs.
    I am speechless.
    here you go, as you can see it kind of resembles what Palm's Webos is going through with its first generation product.

All Eyes on Android as G1 Passes 1M Sold - InternetNews.com

Another reason why Android is slow out of the gate is that the G1 wasn't very appealing in terms of design and function.

"The G1 was underwhelming, people don't buy an OS, they buy an experience, and it wasn't that great, which is OK for the first device. And a lot of vendors and developers looked at the first version of Android and said we'll wait for the next version that has more capability, and rightly so," said Gold.

sound familiar.............so how come Palm can't get that same justification, because Palm is the sprint in smartphone companies (kind of ironic huh).
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    here you go, as you can see it kind of resembles what Palm's Webos is going through with its first generation product.

All Eyes on Android as G1 Passes 1M Sold - InternetNews.com

Another reason why Android is slow out of the gate is that the G1 wasn't very appealing in terms of design and function.

"The G1 was underwhelming, people don't buy an OS, they buy an experience, and it wasn't that great, which is OK for the first device. And a lot of vendors and developers looked at the first version of Android and said we'll wait for the next version that has more capability, and rightly so," said Gold.

sound familiar.............
    The difference is webos phones are made by one company, and android phones are made by different companies with different skins with some.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I have, and see a huge improvement in speed, and useablity from lets say a 1.5 sprint hero (which I had as a second line for 6 months, I liked that phone alot) to a nexus 1, or incrediable. Google has made alot of ground from when they first launched alot! (I had a G1 for a year). Though I give credit when credit is due, thats why I give credit to Palm beside being a Web OS satisfied customer, even palm as independent as they were with little money too they still addressed concernes with numerious updates as soon as they could. They allowed the homebrew community to patch, and make appliactions themselves. Not taking nothing away from Android, but understand Web OS still isnt even a year old on a device yet, and has made leaps to when it first launched(I too was a beta tester lol sprint 06/09). THe reason I made the jump was because through it all Palm is a repatable company, pioneers in the business long before most of the current competitors. They know how to make a phone, a operating system, a device (though times has changed). Web OS being the first and currently only Web KIt OS, I just believe with now an abundence of funds, they will be able to do things at a faster rate, and on a larger scale then any other company, just do to the blueprint Web OS is built under. Lets face it Applications can be aquired (look at google already catching up to apple). Top of the line devices, with top of the line specs, and chipsets can be bought now. So in the end as long as HP delievers which I believe looking at their track record, at the end of the day sitting in front of your face at a store will be not how much bigger the screen is, not what snapdragon chip is used, not how many applications it has, it will come down to one thing and one thing only which OS will fit your lifestyle the best period.
    I agree with everything you said. In the end, this will just push Google to work even harder in anticipation of Palms new deep pockets. Forget about Apple, they just keep screwing their customers with their minor updates every year. I hope for all the Apple fans out there that the next gen iPhone will be a big leap over the 3GS, because the upgrades they have been seeing were minor, to say the least.

In the end, HP buying Palm evened out the playing field. Google and Apple has lots of resources as well, and so does HTC (seeing how many different handsets those boys crank out every year), for us consumers that means lots of juicy new hardware coming our way!
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The difference is webos phones are made by one company, and android phones are made by different companies with different skins with some.
    correct now Google is, but as stated in the article:

The speculation and hand-wringing is due to the fact that hardware makers, with the exception of Samsung, HTC and possibly Acer, are not showing any signs of jumping on board. Sony Ericcson (NASDAQ: ERIC) just backed out and Motorola hasn't announced any Android plans yet either.

as well as carriers:

Plus, observers cite a lack of interest from carriers. Sprint is working on the Palm Pre for now and Verizon and AT&T (NYSE: T) have made no announcements about Android to date.

they didnt have what they have now, so in a sense they were in the same pool as palm is now, the difference is the respect level of Google to Palm, and the the pocket depth at each individuals intial launch.
    Amazing how you can create such a qualified opinion by just playing around in the store for a few minutes. You seriously have no clue how good or bad a phone is until you actually live with it for a good week or two. Nothing on that phone in the store is customized to your needs and how you operate. Is your Pre stock with zero customizations, patches, themes and such? Highly doubtful.

The only purpose these threads serve is to provide fuel for f@nb0ys

I played around with the Incredible and, well...

It's overrated.

About all that opinion is worth.
    Just my US $0.02.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    My wife has the hero and i have the pre.....the reason i won't switch to the EVO is because multi-tasking blows on Android 1.5...does it get any better with 2.1? Also, she somehow uses 2-3x more data than i do but I know she uses the phone 4-5x less then me so something is screwed up there. The web browser is not as good as the pre as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
    My wife has the hero and i have the pre.....the reason i won't switch to the EVO is because multi-tasking blows on Android 1.5...does it get any better with 2.1? Also, she somehow uses 2-3x more data than i do but I know she uses the phone 4-5x less then me so something is screwed up there. The web browser is not as good as the pre as well.
    The multitasking is not as in your face as webos, but there is multitasking.

And I believe the browser on the incredible is better than the pres. Its faster and saves your spot when you exit out.

If you need more help on android go to androidcentral or androidforums for additional help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarez View Post

imo as I stated before its a preference. I can though vouch for android 2.1 and say its alot better then 1.5 on your hero (I used a nexus one for a months for work before the screen cracked a bit). That being said though if you like how the pre multi tasks, and are happy with what it gives you, and can wait for the upgrade to that phone then I say wait. Though if your only concern really is just the difference in how the Pre multi task, need or just want another phone, or really like android I would highly recommend the Evo. So its a preference, but make up your own mind don't let other peoples opinions steer you towards getting something just because, and not really really really because you feel its the best for you in your everyday life.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The multitasking is not as in your face as webos, but there is multitasking.

And I believe the browser on the incredible is better than the pres. Its faster and saves your spot when you exit out.

If you need more help on android go to androidcentral or androidforums for additional help.

though as I stated its an aquired tast (webos and Android) so I wouldnt say ones better then the other (even with the pre being a first gen device). They are still different type of browsers too. Yes Android does multi task as well, but a different way, and yes I would check out the device not a androidcentral though (because its still opinions on how android is the best device like how this forum will tell you Web OS is the best device) But rather a neutral reviewer like at a phonedog.net their reviews are very neutral and cater towards how the device will work for you not that its better then the competiton.
    I just want to point out that if 2.1 is running badly on older devices, it's likely the devices have older hardware(lower RAM and processor). Remember anything over 6 months is "old" by technology standards. Just look at the hardware specs of ALL the newer phones with 2.0/1 coming out of the box, way better. 2.1 is probably better suited to better hardware.

Same with iPhone, even though some of that is a bit ridiculous. Why can't you officially get background tasks on 2G and 3G? Old hardware, supposedly the amount of RAM or the processor would suffer. Although it's been implied that this may or may not be true, with jailbroken phones using Backgrounder.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Food for thought. "Must not suck" is subjective. Consumers don't do what you'd think was logical, we now know that. Technology adjusts to consumers' wants in the end, because it's a business too.

If anything sells well, the experience is good enough even though technically you may think the hardware or OS is lacking.

1. Wii(terrible specs and games IMO) vs. PS3(superior specs. Mainly the older ones. Much better games.). Which sold more overall? And now the other is getting a motion controller too.

2. iPhone vs. many other phones that already had copy/paste, voice recording, video camera, MMS at the time? Which sold so many they changed the game? You must know this one.

3. Windows vs. Mac, I won't go there. But which sells more, even though you'd think since the other is cleaner, usually sells on better hardware(recently started gimping the hardware though) and has less hackers; it would sell better than it does? People still say the big seller sucks(older versions anyway), but still use it, so it must not suck that bad, lol.

4. iPad vs. netbooks. Huge amount sold in a short period of time, making people think the other could be near death. Even though one is much less capable than the other.

Concerning Android vs. webOS. The webOS experience could indeed be superior. But most people don't know that, because Palm %#@*ed everything up out of the gate. While Google/Android didn't. They licensed(although it was free), listened to consumers' needs and kept updating. Plus carriers and manufacturers apparently know how to advertise Android better than Palm ever did with webOS. So now Android just looks like a better prospect to stay around, while webOS is still on "wait and see" status.

I'm using the lowest version of Android and I still don't see where it's so bad. Maybe because I used WM, there are some similarities. But to me, it's more user friendly than WM, more exciting than BB, and more open than iPhone. I can't try webOS yet to make a good comparison until AT&T gets it, thanks to Palm and it's exclusive sales killing carrier contracts. Another mistake they made, thinking they had the pull of Apple.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I just want to point out that if 2.1 is running badly on older devices, it's likely the devices have older hardware(lower RAM and processor). Remember anything over 6 months is "old" by technology standards. Just look at the hardware specs of ALL the newer phones with 2.0/1 coming out of the box, way better. 2.1 is probably better suited to better hardware.

Same with iPhone, even though some of that is a bit ridiculous. Why can't you officially get background tasks on 2G and 3G? Old hardware, supposedly the amount of RAM or the processor would suffer. Although it's been implied that this may or may not be true, with jailbroken phones using Backgrounder.
    not sure but I think so far only the droid has gotten the update, showing so far only that the nexus one, and incrediable run 2.1 I may be wrong. If thats the case my peoples has a droid, and Ive used it a few times playing some games on it, and surfing the web (though his phone is overclocked like my pre) 2.1 does seem to make the phone fly. That being said though that may be the reason why the Hero, eris, and everything else keeps getting delayed when it comes to the update to 2.1 (even flash on android devices has to be running 2.1 weak hardware) so you may be right regarding that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Food for thought. "Must not suck" is subjective. Consumers don't do what you'd think was logical, we now know that. Technology adjusts to consumers' wants in the end, because it's a business too.

Concerning Android vs. webOS. The webOS experience could indeed be superior. But most people don't know that, because Palm %#@*ed everything up out of the gate. While Google/Android didn't. They licensed(although it was free), listened to consumers' needs and kept updating. Plus carriers and manufacturers apparently know how to advertise Android better than Palm ever did with webOS. So now Android just looks like a better prospect to stay around, while webOS is still on "wait and see" status.

I'm using the lowest version of Android and I still don't see where it's so bad. Maybe because I used WM, there are some similarities. But to me, it's more user friendly than WM, more exciting than BB, and more open than iPhone. I can't try webOS yet to make a good comparison until AT&T gets it, thanks to Palm and it's exclusive sales killing carrier contracts. Another mistake they made, thinking they had the pull of Apple.
    I would like to add something here regarding Palm's webos issue. Palm did mess up launching exclusive to sprint first, but not only did they already have a great relationship, Palm was already bleeding alot of cash and as you know wasnt even ready to release the Pre then. Second if they had tried to release it any sooner on any other carrier, they would have been sitting on more inverntory then they are now (think of it they didnt even have simple things like video recording for months). I'm pretty pretty sure they didnt think they had more pull then Apple, I dont think even Google even at this point does in the matter. Palm (though through madd stumbles, but was expected with little cash, and a brand new OS) survived the storm. Having the idea to get Web OS out there to consumers hoping to sell enough units along the way while optimizing it, to make enough money to stay afloat and release something better with a complete OS. As Rubenstien stated when he got to the company thinking independently, it was going to be a 10 year rebuilding project of Palm. So no I don't think he ever thought Palm was not only in a great position like there competitors (and we all know they are not), or looking to turn around the company in a years time.
    The Incredible runs 2.1 with the updated version of Sense. The Droid runs 2.1 with some minimal tweaks from Moto. The N1 is pure vanilla Android.

Can't speak for the Eris, but 2.1 on the Moment and Hero is still slated for the 2nd quarter. Many were hoping for right about now based on quite a few rumors, but that's just not happening. It's in Sprint's hands and still testing. I have a leaked version of 2.1 on my Moment, and it is pretty quick. Not as fluid as the iphone, but very quick. And do remember with the Moment, Hero and Eris; they are running a patched up version of 1.5 to make them play nice on CDMA. They'll only get so good until they're running 2.1.

Multitasking on Android is simple, just not elegant. Long press on the home button brings up the current app list in icon form, and you just choose what you want. It's extremely simple, just not as elegant and slick as it is on webOS.

In regards to old hardware, I think the one issue was the amount of memory and the ability to fit the updated OS on it. Other than that, as long as there is enough memory, 2.1 should run just fine.

People who have all this animosity towards the other OS's need to grow up. You choose a phone that you find makes you the most productive or has the features that suits your needs. NO, I repeat, NO OS or phone is absolutely perfect and we all make sacrifices in one way, shape or form and roll along. People that take more than a few hours to play with a phone probably have it humming along nicely after a week or so and probably finely tuned to their needs within a month. So if you've used a another device for that period of time and want to make a comparison with webOS, you'll actually have some credibility. Because your grandmother's hairdressers mailman found something confusing doesn't really bring much to the table. My technologically declined boss couldn't stand either Android or webOS after a few weeks and now has a BB. The only thing he misses is visual voicemail (youmail, gvoice does not count). It was one of the few things he liked on Android. And gvoice app is actually pretty sweet on Android.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.