View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

27 19.29%
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Wow...this is a great ran between you two. Do you guys have a cocktail and a dinner show? LOL

I'm pretty fortunate (or stupid) to have three phones in my household that can all be different. I think I'll get a "C40" for myself, an Evo to replace our spare house phone and something else for my wife. All three are eligible for an upgrade in a few months.
    sry but the updates we have gotten on the pre have only been updates that shouldve been on the phone in the first plavce. And with every update seems to be more and more problems. So I'd rather wait 4 or 5 months for an update so they can get it right. Oh and don't forget that the evo will be able to video conference. So that's a big difference in user experience compared to the pre. Can the pre voice anything? Or use 4g?
    I agree with you about the other Big A for the most part. But as for Android, have you ever really used it? It's not the horror made out to be. It may be basic but I've been able to get my work done on it no problem. You do need apps to fill in some gaps, but 2.1 should be more advanced than the one I'm using. And I believe with the specs of the Incredible, 2.2(coming soon) should run no problem. With each increment, Android gets better.

I have not been able to get the Pre yet(thanks slow AT&T) so I can't really compare the 2, but Android is making great strides for a reason. Otherwise people would have dumped that OS a long time ago and we would not have manufacturers considering an Android phone in their line-up.

Palm should license it's OS though. That would help spread it around enough to give Android competition.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ...but 2.1 should be more advanced than the one I'm using. And I believe with the specs of the Incredible, 2.2(coming soon) should run no problem. With each increment, Android gets better.
    Not from my own experience (I'm using WinMo currently), but one of my employees has the Motorola Droid for Verizon...she's ****ed about the recent "upgrade" to 2.1...now she's constantly having force closes and speed issues. If she could, she would downgrade to the previous release. So future releases with Android aren't always a step up (at least in this particular case).
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewakaMJ View Post
    Not from my own experience (I'm using WinMo currently), but one of my employees has the Motorola Droid for Verizon...she's ****ed about the recent "upgrade" to 2.1...now she's constantly having force closes and speed issues. If she could, she would downgrade to the previous release. So future releases with Android aren't always a step up (at least in this particular case).
    There are quite a few people (including myself) with no such issues. 2.1 has been smoother and quicker overall. However some people have had to do a factory reset and reinstall to fix misc issues, many of which occured because of a direct result of misbehaving apps or utilities. With so much customization and so many apps available, no 2 Android phones are exactly alike so the chances of some phones having issues are naturally higher.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    No. I don't crazily "multitask" like most Pre users here lead others to believe; many users here use those antics into making others believe/think that is why WebOS is oh-so-holy and superior to anything else that has surfaced on the mobile market.

When I owned a Pre I never left applications 'open' and generally never had more than two concurrently open applications.

People here often throw around the "multitasking" term but misconceive it's actual meaning. I can "multitask" just like the rest of you can on most any other devices (to include an iPhone). I can send a txt and go back to watching a video on the iPhone just like you can on the Pre (yes, by way of state-saving on the iPhone). It's not as if you're sending a txt while still having the ability to actively watch the video on WebOS, you still have to switch applications. But that's beside the point here.

The Incredible has better battery life than the Hero. Has a more vivid screen (24-bit vs 16-bit). A better touch keyboard (the keys are a bit bigger on the Incredible). And the form factor is a bit different (lighter and more ergonomic).

Same comparison as your Pixie vs. Pre.
    Dude you seriously think the multi-tasking on the iphone or any other phone is on par with webos?? if you do.....I can not even listen to anything else you say, discredited yourself with that stupid statement.

I use so many things at one time on my pre it is impossible that any other phone out right now can do it anywhere near as well as webos
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    I use so many things at one time on my pre it is impossible that any other phone out right now can do it anywhere near as well as webos
    The response was a little harsh...let's lay-off the name calling...

However I do agree with your statement above. I have an iPad, iPod Touch and a BB from work as well as a Sprint Pre. None of them multitask/switch/run background apps (however and whatever you want to call it) as gracefully and efforlessly as webOS....especially if you enable advanced gestures for app switching. Switching between one open app to another on anything other than webOS is frustrating and inefficient (once ou've used a Pre/Pixi for any length of time). There's just too many buttons/sequences/yoga to go through. I do think that the hidden taskswitch gesturing in SenseUI is second best.

Most iPhone or other users will disagree becuase they are so used to what they have. But, again, going back to those devices after using webOS for a while really makes you appreciate its multitasking ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    None of them multitask/switch/run background apps (however and whatever you want to call it) as gracefully and efforlessly as webOS....especially if you enable advanced gestures for app switching. Switching between one open app to another on anything other than webOS is frustrating and inefficient (once ou've used a Pre/Pixi for any length of time). There's just too many buttons/sequences/yoga to go through. I do think that the hidden taskswitch gesturing in SenseUI is second best.
    Ironically, everything you say in this paragraph was true in Windows Mobile back in 2003. My Samsung SCH-i730 could run 10-20 programs simultaneously and to bring a program to the foreground required two screen clicks with a fingernail or a stylus (rather than 10-20 "frustrating and inefficient" horizontal swipes plus one tap Pre-style). Admittedly, task switching wasn't as cute as it is on the Pre, but a function-over-form focus tries to prevent repetitive actions just to perform one task.

The Pre's approach to task switching is pretty slick when only a small number of apps are open, but then you jump into Android territory where switching between the 6 most recently run tasks is as efficient as any device I've seen. And like the Windows Mobile devices, Android devices seem to launch those apps a lot more quickly than similar apps on the Pre - not sure what that's about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ironically, everything you say in this paragraph was true in Windows Mobile back in 2003. My Samsung SCH-i730 could run 10-20 programs simultaneously and to bring a program to the foreground required two screen clicks with a fingernail or a stylus (rather than 10-20 "frustrating and inefficient" horizontal swipes plus one tap Pre-style). Admittedly, task switching wasn't as cute as it is on the Pre, but a function-over-form focus tries to prevent repetitive actions just to perform one task.
    Oh yea...wasn't there some utility from SPB or something like that?

The Pre's approach to task switching is pretty slick when only a small number of apps are open, but then you jump into Android territory where switching between the 6 most recently run tasks is as efficient as any device I've seen. And like the Windows Mobile devices, Android devices seem to launch those apps a lot more quickly than similar apps on the Pre - not sure what that's about.
    You mean tap-tap-swipe or swipeup-tap-swipe is in inefficient to switch apps when you have more that a few running??? Really??? In about a 1-alligator count I go from my 1st app to the 10th app running on my Sprint Pre @ stock speed....seriously, can android and/or Winmob do that any faster? Even if so, I think 99% of us are "OK" with 1-second switching from app #1 to app #10...seriously now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ironically, everything you say in this paragraph was true in Windows Mobile back in 2003. My Samsung SCH-i730 could run 10-20 programs simultaneously and to bring a program to the foreground required two screen clicks with a fingernail or a stylus (rather than 10-20 "frustrating and inefficient" horizontal swipes plus one tap Pre-style). Admittedly, task switching wasn't as cute as it is on the Pre, but a function-over-form focus tries to prevent repetitive actions just to perform one task...
    kinda of a bad analogy, eh? "wasn't as cute as it is on the pre" is definitely an understatement. the i730 along with other winmos... yeah, they could multitask alright. but didn't those devices multitask unwillingly? essentially what you had was the equivalent of doing alt-ctrl-del on a pc to see running programs, except the programs on winmos wouldn't close unless you stylus-tapped several times to get to the area where you could close them. right (i could be mistaken, but i don't think i am )?

/thread derail

anyhow, thx brmiller1976 and i agree about the software reigning supreme to a certain extent. spec, schmeck. pre/pixi plus going to multiple carriers nationally and otherwise w/simple ram/storage upgrades and improved hardware (concerning the oreo prob) shows that the device is now solid... sans vzw gps issues.

form-factor and even better build quality is something that i'd rather see improved upon rather than specs other than ram and storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I value software over hardware.

During the time that EVO is out, it's unlikely it will receive a software update (judging from the update calendar for other Sprint Android devices from HTC). Meanwhile, webOS will receive numerous updates.

Since it's software that makes the experience work, I'll take frequent software updates over infrequent hardware updates with "better" specs that run just like a Hero in everyday practice.

right but the updates that palm has released should have been on the phone in 2010 dont you think?? i just dont think Palm/HP will have anything out b4 2011 easy...no way they could compete with EVO,iPhone or any other smartphone coming out now. For god sakes they're just now releasing it on AT&T..it will be a long while b4 you see a new device...IMO
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I have to disagree with the op a little but.
    1. Hdmi out will make it possible (with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse) to use my smartphone as a home computer. that is if it allows two simultaneous bluetooth devices. also, I'm not sure how navigation will work from a bluetooth mouse.
    2. front facing camera on phone + skype = elimination of the need for a cellular carrier and also starts the video phone revolution.
    3. android 2.2 froyo is supposed to come on the evo which is said to include flash plugin (fingers crossed) but we'll see.
    4. agree about droids boring interface and webos superiority in ui. Imagine a palm pre 2 with all the specs of the evo and you can't tell me that people wont be throwing their pre 1's out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    There are quite a few people (including myself) with no such issues. 2.1 has been smoother and quicker overall. However some people have had to do a factory reset and reinstall to fix misc issues, many of which occured because of a direct result of misbehaving apps or utilities. With so much customization and so many apps available, no 2 Android phones are exactly alike so the chances of some phones having issues are naturally higher.
    Yes, I noticed a lot of developers had to retool for 2.1.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've got to hand it to Apple (and Palm) -- software is more important than hardware these days.

It's not about the hardware -- hardware that's "good enough" but with great software is far more impressive as a user experience (particularly one that evolves) than amazing hardware with mediocre, stagnant software.
    you're entitled to your opinion. i used a droid and was thoroughly impressed with Android as an O.S. Andriod phones sell very well so and seem to be taking marketshare. If it's only about software which is debatable seems a significant portion of the public has said the software is, as you put it, "good enough."

Not to mention there is much much better app developer support from mainstream companies. That's software and that is something Android has going for it. It's been nearly a year and major companies aren't developing for WebOS and i think that's a software problem. Not a webos software but its software. And i think you're analysis under emphasizes that aspect of software.

regardless the market will decide. if the evo is release and does very well we'll know. If not we'll know it's not that great. The market will tell.
    The market doesn't always pick the best choice for usability and quality.

As a day-to-day device, if you're not ready to root and grep your way through Linux command lines, install buggy patches, and tolerate constant crashes, Android isn't for you.

A great deal of the sell-through of these devices is due to carrier promotions. Hopefully, as knowledge of capabilities increases, more capable devices will take the fore.

It mirrors the evolution of the early PC market in many ways -- there were lots of choices, and the big retailers originally pushed rather lousy machines like the TRS-80 over superior tech. Eventually the superior tech gained share and carried the day.

That's how I view Android today.
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    I have to disagree with the op a little but.
    1. Hdmi out will make it possible (with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse) to use my smartphone as a home computer. that is if it allows two simultaneous bluetooth devices. also, I'm not sure how navigation will work from a bluetooth mouse.
    Theoretically, perhaps. But you're still going to be using Android. If you're up for tweaking via Linux command lines and such, it's the phone for you. Not really for me though. A compact device running Windows 7 is a better choice IMO.

2. front facing camera on phone + skype = elimination of the need for a cellular carrier and also starts the video phone revolution.
    How does it eliminate the need for a wireless carrier? You'll still need a data plan to send all that stuff back and forth with Skype, unless you're planning on surfing just via WiFi (in which case, a netbook with a 'cam is a better option).

3. android 2.2 froyo is supposed to come on the evo which is said to include flash plugin (fingers crossed) but we'll see.
    But it's still Android. Which means inconsistent interfaces, constant crashing, incompatibilities, bugs, and hours of hard-core technology tweaks just to make it usable.

4. agree about droids boring interface and webos superiority in ui. Imagine a palm pre 2 with all the specs of the evo and you can't tell me that people wont be throwing their pre 1's out the window.
    Depends, really. I wouldn't trade my Pre Plus for a massive powerhungry brick with no physical keyboard, which is what EVO looks to me to be.
    I never rooted and hacked, nor installed a patch, and don't have constant crashes. And the one I have IS considered lousy. And 2.1 is considered the "Android has finally arrived" version.What did you see that was so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    Dude you seriously think the multi-tasking on the iphone or any other phone is on par with webos?? if you do.....I can not even listen to anything else you say, discredited yourself with that stupid statement.

No. You completely misunderstood what I wrote. Allow me to clarify: To put it simply… multitasking is not a large selling point for WebOS [obviously].

Your average user (take the typical iPhone user for example) doesn't desire the ability to "multitask" like the small community of WebOS users here on Precentral. Believe it or not, but you, me and the Precentral users as a whole are a minority.

When iPhone OS4 introduces multitasking, most users will continue to use their iPhones as they always have. The only thing many will probably do differently now is run Pandora in the background –*nothing else won't change.

I never once said that the iPhone was superior to WebOS in terms of multitasking, I just emphasized that I can multitask just as well and efficiently (efficiently being subjective as it's really a personal preference) as anyone else on any other device.

TRUE multitasking is simultaneously doing multiple things at once, which isn't available on ANY smartphone that I'm aware of. Example? Me writing this reply while having Flashforward open and displayed on my other monitor <- That's multitasking.

You know what's sad? WebOS is so sluggish and efficient at doing things, on the iPhone you can close an app, open another and have it fully loaded faster than it takes you to swipe two to three cards to another running app and have it refresh any external data (Twitter for example) on a Pre.

And just a side note: I don't own an iPhone, just using it as a mere example.
    Last edited by barkerja; 05/07/2010 at 02:56 AM.
    The market doesn't always pick the best choice for usability and quality.
    usability and quality are inherently subjective and they are hardly the only criteria people use to pick a consumer product. i'm sure there are millions of iphone users that think theirs is the best, probably, partly do to the ipod, apps, itunes. they may consider all of that great usability. And i saw the incredible camera. Compared to the options on the pre, like changing exposures and zoom and stuff many would think that's better quality, and the added options make it more usable.

As a day-to-day device, if you're not ready to root and grep your way through Linux command lines, install buggy patches, and tolerate constant crashes, Android isn't for you.
    that's hardly the experience of all android users. my girlfriend has a hero and she's no clue what rooting or linux is. Besides My pre freezes and crashes everyday so the crash thing is a wash too. i've been told all smartphones crash.
    WebOS is a way better experience than Android. I think that's the entire and only point of this thread.

I mostly agree, but Android is faster... and I'm getting fed up with the lagginess...