View Poll Results: Will you switch to a Droid Incredible?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!!

    18 12.86%
  • Forget it! WebOS is the best!

    84 60.00%
  • Maybe/Not sure

    11 7.86%
  • I just like polls

    27 19.29%
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 496
  1. #181  
    I tried Android and I find it to be a bloody awful mess. Multitasking is a mess (hold the "Home" key to select an app?!?), the user interface is CONSTANTLY changing (touch and hold to get menus sometimes, other times the menu is in the upper left, other times on the bottom), and I hate hate hate hate onscreen "keyboards."

    In addition, the interface is completely inconsistent across devices. You can start with an HTC, Samsung or Motorola device and have a completely different user experience (ranging from pretty good to dismal) on the same OS, and whenever you open an app, you get a completely different user interface. It's almost like switching phones every time you load up an application.

    One thing Apple (and Palm) did well was create universal standards for user interface. This is something that is WAY overdue with Android.
  2. #182  
    Android is open so manufacturers can do whatever they want. That does create fragmenting but the only other option is for Google to start locking it down. Is that good? *looking at other post*
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #183  
    Actually once you master Android on one device, it's very easy to get around it on another. The differences are minor and while Sense UI might look different, the UI principles are the same. The fragmentation issue that everyone loves to harp about mainly has to do more with app compatibility. 1.5 and 1.6 devices are fading away as newer more powerful devices are released. Eventually everyone will be on the same page or close to it.
    Last edited by darreno1; 05/03/2010 at 12:10 AM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  4. #184  
    I love my pre plus, but the incredible would be my second choice at this rate. I really don't like the moto droid.
    Remember: "Opinions are like @ssholes, we all have them, and they all stink"
  5. #185  
    Oh and I'll probably keep my pre until HP does something sweet with the webos.
    Remember: "Opinions are like @ssholes, we all have them, and they all stink"
  6. ardoreal's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    now thats true our industry is like that, but don't you think if they made just one or two of these models the best they can, then let it ride out for say 8-12 months they would make a better profit. Like Apple yes I wish they had atleast one other model, and each year bumped up the specs, but you say Iphone you know there was the original, the 3G, and 3Gs all running the same OS (until now). They have made a huge profit being the number 1 US seller to date, and I think its because they made 1 product design 1 phone and stuck with it. I like selections, but too much I think will hurt you. Also I know that the new wave of smart phones that appeal to the massess are just straight slab phones with no physical keyboard, but I kind of like the option (the reason why I state I love the touch pro 2), I hope HP and palm make phones like that with that option.
    Uhhhhh....
    Look seriously guys, I actually had something very interesting to contribute, some good points to share, and looked forward to engaging in this opinion-fest......until I read this guys posts.

    I think bashing my head into a wall would be more productive than attempting to inject intelligence into a conversation with this guy.

    Aside from that...
    I still think webOS is better than Android....at least the idea of it. I still see the point manny made though, that ideals and philosophy aside you should just get what works for you. Palm blew it on the Sprint Pre, which sucked unwashed balls. The idea of it was fantastic, the premise seemed there for it to win, but dead pixels, oreo sliders, lack of apps (strong SDK), TMC issues, and signal problems are all engineering backend stuff that should have been resolved before plaguing customers.

    The Pre Plus can be as cool as the idea the Pre was suppose to be, but nobody cares anymore (it's why they sell em now for 30 bucks!!!).
  7. #187  
    Yeah, I was at Best Buy this weekend and it's funny to see the Sprint Pre being more expensive than the more capable Verizon Pre.

    I know there are a lot of people in here with current Android phones, but to me, those don't exist, mainly because I never played with one or owned one. I base everything on the new generation of Android phones like the Incredible and the Evo. I have played with the Incredible and also watched a ton of review videos on it. I am not a corporate user, so I don't give a rats hiney about Exchange. I am only a facebook user, so the integration of Facebook into Sense is all I care about. Being that I came from a WinMo phone before the Pre, its natural for me to miss the customization that can be done on both WinMo and Android, but not on the webOS. Widgets and the ability to put program shortcuts wherever you want look very appealing to me. Since I have never owned an Android phone, I have still to face the potential problems with App compatibility, however, I am not too concerned about that, since one of my friends that switched from a Moto Droid to the Incredible told me that he didn't know what to install on his Incredible that he used to install on his Droid, since the Incredible already had all that stuff built in with Sense. I am sure that with the exploding popularity of Android and its new "super phones", lots of developers will come out with cool new apps that take advantage of the new generation of phones, so while I come to grips with Android, I am sure it won't be long before lots of apps for the Evo will be available.

    Some people say 4.3" is too big, I am not one of them, and as far as software keyboards go, I am used to them and I don't mind going either way. All that screen real estate and the higher resolution should make for a pleasant experience.

    If I hate Android after one year, I am sure Palm will have a shiny, powerful device that was created with some serious resource power behind it waiting for me.
  8. #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Yeah, I was at Best Buy this weekend and it's funny to see the Sprint Pre being more expensive than the more capable Verizon Pre.

    I know there are a lot of people in here with current Android phones, but to me, those don't exist, mainly because I never played with one or owned one. I base everything on the new generation of Android phones like the Incredible and the Evo. I have played with the Incredible and also watched a ton of review videos on it. I am not a corporate user, so I don't give a rats hiney about Exchange. I am only a facebook user, so the integration of Facebook into Sense is all I care about. Being that I came from a WinMo phone before the Pre, its natural for me to miss the customization that can be done on both WinMo and Android, but not on the webOS. Widgets and the ability to put program shortcuts wherever you want look very appealing to me. Since I have never owned an Android phone, I have still to face the potential problems with App compatibility, however, I am not too concerned about that, since one of my friends that switched from a Moto Droid to the Incredible told me that he didn't know what to install on his Incredible that he used to install on his Droid, since the Incredible already had all that stuff built in with Sense. I am sure that with the exploding popularity of Android and its new "super phones", lots of developers will come out with cool new apps that take advantage of the new generation of phones, so while I come to grips with Android, I am sure it won't be long before lots of apps for the Evo will be available.

    Some people say 4.3" is too big, I am not one of them, and as far as software keyboards go, I am used to them and I don't mind going either way. All that screen real estate and the higher resolution should make for a pleasant experience.

    If I hate Android after one year, I am sure Palm will have a shiny, powerful device that was created with some serious resource power behind it waiting for me.
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!
  9. ardoreal's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #189  
    As far as developer incentive, right now there is zilch for WebOS. You look at stuff like the Admob stats and it's a good indicator of what users are likely to dig into software and services, and right now there are two players: Android and iPhone. This in turn represses the good stuff going to WebOS.

    Having used both WebOS and Android I have a bit different objectivity. In regard to app compatibility, stuff like the Twitter client for Android (which is totally AWESOME btw) will trump Sense's Twitter widget. In fact 2.1 as a platform has something akin to synergy, ie I have a google contact, who is also a facebook friend, Android automatically collates those contacts for me. These services are also modular, and Twitter has introduced account syncing as well, meaning any Twitter friends also collate into the phone's contacts.

    Here's a kicker, and a huge selling point that WebOS just doesn't "get", sharing. These apps are interoperable in a manner that I have not seen any other mobile platform.

    For example, in an RSS app I can hit the menu button and usually an option for "share" comes up. I tap share, and a list of services that use this hook pop up, and it's totally modular. Meaning as I install Twitter apps, Picasa, Flickr, Facebook-whatever can show up and give me means to "share" with any service whose client wants to use this. The commercial for Droid that states "apps, that run with other apps" is a bit understated, the apps are literally interoperable in a manner similar to iLife on OSX. Content can easily be shared from one service to another. Let's say you're reading a book in Aldiko, you can share. If you're in your photo album, it's just as easy to share with facebook as it is to Twitter, Twidroid, email, SMS, Picasa, or pretty much any publishing service you download an app for.

    In hypothetical terms (because I can divulge that I am a beta tester) the forthcoming geocaching app can "share" a cache coordinates to Google Maps, where a person can then get turn by turn navigation to a geocache (which is not possible on iPhone).

    People often don't point this stuff out, but when it comes to people sharing stuff via mobiles, Android has a huge leg up over everybody else.

    Things like mobile hotspot are also trivially obtained on Android. Root your phone, install a custom kernel (using an almost braindead easy method) and a free app from Android Market, and you're ready to roll. I was just using my Droid to share its 3G with a friend's laptop and an iPad.

    The app "beautiful widgets" gives you an awesome background weather service with a notification tray item, so that no matter what app you're in you have a quick way to get a really slick weather animation and forecast.

    Other things, like Android's car-friendly functionality. You put a Droid into the car dock and the home screen goes to background while a very succinct launcher pops up. It gives you a choice of maps, navigation, voice search, contacts, and plain search all in really big icons. The voice search is pretty good too, you can get directions by plainly speaking "directions to ____" with an address, or you can just say "call _____" and it will get the right person 9 out of 10 times.

    These are all things that can be put into WebOS though. Synergy was Palm's idea before Google implemented their own idea of it. Maps isn't bad on Pre either, if WebOS was more relevant, Google would probably have a few more bells and whistles for the users.

    It's perfectly fair to see why a lot of people like Android, but the fact is that even on a Snapdragon it's stuttery, boxy, and the fonts just don't look as good. imho I like the Pre's photo gallery better than the 3d android gallery. Google's just throwing noodles at the wall as far as stuff like that goes.

    However, Google's got the engineering $$ to throw a heck of a lot of noodles in the process of getting it right, Palm's got a lot of really great ideas with much less noodle-throwing. Which is better? 10 great ideas or 80 really bad ideas to get 20 great ideas?

    Semantics I guess, I still prefer the flow and usage of WebOS though, despite all the advantages I noted. WebOS is just prettier and more pleasant to use....when it works.
  10. #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardoreal View Post
    Here's a kicker, and a huge selling point that WebOS just doesn't "get", sharing. These apps are interoperable in a manner that I have not seen any other mobile platform.
    Actually, Android's implementation of this is a clumsy "borrow" from webOS (which had it from launch):

    http://www.youtube.com/v/muR9PvmP_xk
  11. ardoreal's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    #191  
    This is a specific app-to-app implementation, and in this instance is an example of only sharing to the calendar. In Android it's uniform across almost all apps. I would hardly call that clumsy, I'd call it effective.
  12. #192  
    [QUOTE=brmiller1976;2419831]Actually, Android's implementation of this is a clumsy "borrow" from webOS (which had it from launch):

    [url]

    Man, I wished that multitasking was that fast on the pixi. You see how fast that calender app opened?
  13. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #193  
    Honest Question: Are people getting too caught up in choosing a phone based on Operating System?

    How much time do you actually spend in the OS? Most of us spend 99% of our time within individual apps which is why I view mobile OS's to be nothing but app launchers. Yes, WebOS is the best of the mobile OS's out there BUT if all the apps are on other platforms then does superior multitasking really matter?

    iPhone has about 200,000 apps, Android has 50,000, iPad even has 12,000 iPad specific apps and WebOS has something like 2000 apps. People will argue these numbers by screaming out "fart apps" but the reality is that the "better apps" are NOT on WebOS.


    I own a Pre and a disabled iPhone. WebOS is much slicker and more functional than iOS3 but I still carry that iPhone because it carries the apps I need. I have zero interest in Android because I don't get the hype, but because I'm sick of carrying two devices and I don't want to leave Sprint then I have no problem settling for the EVO. The OS may not be as slick as WebOS but if we spend most of the time in Apps then why does "slick" really matter?
  14. #194  
    I have 3 'traditional' apps installed aside from the defaults that came w/the phone - everything else is either command line services or patches. So yes, the OS matters.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Honest Question: Are people getting too caught up in choosing a phone based on Operating System?

    How much time do you actually spend in the OS? Most of us spend 99% of our time within individual apps which is why I view mobile OS's to be nothing but app launchers. Yes, WebOS is the best of the mobile OS's out there BUT if all the apps are on other platforms then does superior multitasking really matter?

    iPhone has about 200,000 apps, Android has 50,000, iPad even has 12,000 iPad specific apps and WebOS has something like 2000 apps. People will argue these numbers by screaming out "fart apps" but the reality is that the "better apps" are NOT on WebOS.


    I own a Pre and a disabled iPhone. WebOS is much slicker and more functional than iOS3 but I still carry that iPhone because it carries the apps I need. I have zero interest in Android because I don't get the hype, but because I'm sick of carrying two devices and I don't want to leave Sprint then I have no problem settling for the EVO. The OS may not be as slick as WebOS but if we spend most of the time in Apps then why does "slick" really matter?
    An app is just a thing that runs on the phone. If the foundation (the os) sucks, no number of apps is going to make that better. I enjoy easily making my phone work the way that I want it to work 'under the hood', without having to be a focused uberhacker. Yes, the OS matters. So does the UI. WebOS, IMHO, is better in both regards.

    Applications will come. The neat thing about WebOS is that they reduced the barrier to entry and learning curve so that more people can write their own stuff. It's just a bunch of web pages and javascript, after all. Need a quick little app? It's much easier to do that on this platform *yourself* rather than relying on somebody else to do it. I just don't think the general public 'gets' that yet. Palm is a little ahead of their time. Let's hope they continue the innovation and stay ahead of the other guys who wil undoubtedly offer similar scripting technologies in the future.
    : (){:|:&};:
  16. #196  
    We haven't reached the point where most apps are cross platform. In due time however as the market matures and developers learning curve/costs go down it's likely that we will see more apps released on the major platforms simultaneously akin to the gaming industry. At that point the ONLY difference will be the OS.
  17. #197  
    I own both. I have a Pre Plus and my wife and daughter each have an Incredible. The Pre's user interface is smooth and polished. Using gestures on Pre can be addictive. The Incredible, however, is super fast. You tap on something and it just happens - no "lag".
  18. #198  
    I have never used Android and cannot comment in it, but I can comment on the Pre. Its awesome. I have a Spring Pre with the Superkernel Patch installed at 800 MHz (wil switch to Uberkernel soon) and it is FAST, SMOOTH, almost NEVER get TMC. Slickest easiest fastest smartphone I have ever seen. I have also customized it with lots of patches that let the phone work the way I want it to, and I love that. And am earlier post was wrong when he said that he doesnt like patches because he doesnt want to uninstall them when an OS update comes along. Except for the kernel patch, the other patches NEVER have to be uninstalled. Preware takes care of that for you. It is SO easy and hassle free.

    As for the Pre Plus vs the Pre, since you are on Verizon you get hat extra memory which should totally eliminate the TMC especially with an 800 MHz kernel patch.

    But its not a bad time to think about changing to Sprint. Sprint is WAY cheaper ($69 gets you unlimited roaming, LD, data, Navigator, messaging, etc etc AND an upgrade every YEAR instead of two years. I have an unlimited family plan - 5 smartphones 1500 minutes talk and unlimited everything else for under $200). Spring is slowly stopping the custiomer loss. They are losing customers but more slowly. That's good for you - keeps their prices low. But they have aggressively and successfully solved their old problems. They now have great coverage - I travel all over USA and NEVER have issues, sometimes better coverage than friends with Verizon (Sprint uses Verizon to roam voice and data but not the other way around, so Sprint actually now gets MORE COVERAGE), their customer service is polite and excellent, and their billing is exact. More service, better product, lower prices. Why be on Verizon?
  19. #199  
    I went to the Verizon store at lunch to pick up a new Bluetooth headset after mine died.

    I played around with the Incredible and, well...

    It's overrated.

    Yes, the hardware is small and pretty, the screen is high res, and the camera is great.

    But in terms of user experience, look and feel, and functionality? Not much different from a Sprint HTC Hero.

    All these big hardware specification bumps on the Android side don't translate into a meaningfully different experience. If I swapped your Incredible for a Hero, you'd get essentially the same user experience, browser, app availability, on-screen keyboard, and HTC Sense UI.

    I've got to hand it to Apple (and Palm) -- software is more important than hardware these days. Assuming this experience holds out for future HTC handsets, all the people who get an EVO will be buying a Hero with a better camera and screen, but otherwise stagnant user interface and experience. You might as well get a clearance Hero and save a couple of bucks.

    It's not about the hardware -- hardware that's "good enough" but with great software is far more impressive as a user experience (particularly one that evolves) than amazing hardware with mediocre, stagnant software.

    Just my US $0.02.
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I went to the Verizon store at lunch to pick up a new Bluetooth headset after mine died.

    I played around with the Incredible and, well...

    It's overrated.

    Yes, the hardware is small and pretty, the screen is high res, and the camera is great.

    But in terms of user experience, look and feel, and functionality? Not much different from a Sprint HTC Hero.

    All these big hardware specification bumps on the Android side don't translate into a meaningfully different experience. If I swapped your Incredible for a Hero, you'd get essentially the same user experience, browser, app availability, on-screen keyboard, and HTC Sense UI.

    I've got to hand it to Apple (and Palm) -- software is more important than hardware these days. Assuming this experience holds out for future HTC handsets, all the people who get an EVO will be buying a Hero with a better camera and screen, but otherwise stagnant user interface and experience. You might as well get a clearance Hero and save a couple of bucks.

    It's not about the hardware -- hardware that's "good enough" but with great software is far more impressive as a user experience (particularly one that evolves) than amazing hardware with mediocre, stagnant software.

    Just my US $0.02.
    How can you compare the Incredible to the Hero? They run the same OS (Android 2.1 w/ Sense) yes, but the hardware is night and day and makes all the difference in experience.

    Following your same logic what's the difference of upgrading my old 450MHz Pentium 4 Windows machine to a new 2.8GHz i7 Windows machine?

    And your opinion is just that, an opinion. Entirely a subjective matter.

    And saying you've got to "hand it to Palm" … please elaborate. The last time I checked Palm was on the verge of dying (and their future is still uncertain).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions