Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Some of you might know that I had to give up on the Pre. I love the phone and WebOS but after my fourth brain was defective, my carrier, Bell insisted I switch to an iphone. I'm posting it here because it is the perfect general topic. I discuss the Pre as well as the iphone.

When I told them I was having problems the lady nodded and agree'd that there had been problems abroad. They then activated my iphone.

I got a pretty sweet deal on my phone. I have the fab10 student plan with unlimited internet for fifty bucks or whatever. This transferred over to my iphone and the new Fibe network to my great delight. (3.5g ... SUPER fast)

Pros:

One of the things I feel good about is the lack of a keyboard! The very thing that urged me into the Pre turned out to be one of the worst things ever! The Pre keyboard is cramped and slow compared to the touchscreen keyboard on the Iphone

How could this be? Last I used one (iphone) it was slow and I was making waaaay too many typos. I guess it has something to do with this predicted spelling thing it has. Very nice and something I wish the Pre had itself. That new?

The iPhone battery life lasts twice as long as my Pre. No joke. Twice. Worse yet is that it's twice as long with 3G on! I always had wifi on my pre when I could because of the battery drain. This is huge to me. it felt weird leaving the house without an extra battery. No longer am I tethered to a power supply! XD

The Apps. Well, I can't even believe how many apps there are. It's overwhelming. Worse is that they ALL seem to cost money. Even the stupid ones that shouldn't. If they don't they shove the ugliest banners in the world into your app. Makes it unusable for me at least. everything is like ninty nine cents or something. Bah. It's a huge money sink. I've gotten so many apps and games now XD

The 1:1 detection is really big too. The pre needs to enable video acceleration. It just feels way better on the iphone.

Cons:

Well ... Firstly, the iphone has dodgey support when it comes to gmail push. The Pre email program is by far the best I've used ever. I liked it even more than the blackberry.

I eventually figured out that you can enable Google Sync using an exchange server and it gets around this iphone limitation nicely. It actually seems to work better than synergy because for things like contacts its a two way street.

Also, the notifications for email and messages kind of sucks. It's easy for me to miss a text or something when it first happens. The repeated notice thing isn't nearly as reliable as a blinking LED. Then again, the blinking LED feels like shackles now that I am away from that.

There is a surprising lack of rich community. I haven't found web forums to compare to this place at all. The sister-site, Tipb, is pretty dead compared to the pre central forum.

Although the iphone group is huge a lot of them aren't vocal. It seems like the Pre has a lot more serious users. I miss that about my phone. It's been hard not having this place to browse every morning!

Multi-tasking is a pretty big one, too. I was trying to watch a hockey game and my brother would text me and i'd have to stop watching it, switch and then switch back a little bit later. it took forever. Very annoying.

I've noticed that the iphone degrades over time like my pre would. It gets sluggish for some reason or stops showing my notification windows for new messages via push. A quick (very quick) reboot resolves that but still. What's up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I am sure this belongs in another board but whatever. I don't understand how anyone could say the pre keyboard is cramped but still enjoy typing on glass. I can type really fast with the Pre without even looking down but when I use the Itouch I have to be so careful and look down at the screen.
    +2...
    I am sure this belongs in another board but whatever. I don't understand how anyone could say the pre keyboard is cramped but still enjoy typing on glass. I can type really fast with the Pre without even looking down but when I use the Itouch I have to be so careful and look down at the screen. When in chat rooms or using IM the thing takes up at least half the screen. I would never get a phone without a keyboard. I just cannot.

About the battery. If Battery is an issue you could always have a replacement battery. Something the Iphone isn't capable of. I recently purchased the Itouch but I plan on returning it. I don't see anything great about the applications for it. Sure it has a lot more of them but many of them are just mobile websites and most are not that useful.
    +3 but I'm guessing the keyboard is something you get used to over time.
    Trust me over time you urn for more ability to change data and wifi where ever you are without closing out and non-interruption notifications. Two of the most annoying things about the iPhone that I can't wait to get rid of. I honestly don't care if I'm about to buy the pre plus on at&t especially if 2.0 update comes out, alot of the lag will be suppressed.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    The iPhone is a great device. So is the Pre. I thought I'd miss the touchcreen keyboard, but the physical keyboard on the Pre is a perfect replacement. I agree with you on battery life. I don't mind carrying a second battery though. You learn to adapt, and adjust. I love WebOS. I really believe that Palm has a great thing going for them. They just don't have the funding to push their product out to a mass marketing plan.

The only thing I really miss about my iPhone, is the apps.

macrumors.com is a nice community for iPhone news.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I have an ipod touch and i hated using the onscreen keyboard, it is what kept me from upgrading to an iphone. I think the UI is vastly superior, for me, on the Pre and i love having a physical keyboard.
    Try howardforums apple section, they have a pretty good comunity there, though not as involved as the one here.

As for the keyboard, the trick is to not correct yourself while typing, if you hit the wrong key just keep going and don't stop to correct yourself, the auto correct will take of that most of the time, then go back when your done and fix any mistakes, but you'll be surprised buy how many it'll fix.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 04/25/2010 at 11:51 AM.
  8.    #8  
    I don't know. I couldn't type on my pre laying down on my back quite as comfortably. I would get tired. The launch pre's keys were really squishy. The newer model I got was much better. I didn't cramp up near as much.

You're right about switching to and from wifi!

That's really annoying. I forgot to mention that one. Switching to and from apps is really hard when coming from the pre. I can only hope that 4.0 has a remedy XD

XD I will try those forums.

Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. I mean, I see you guys moved this thread. =P I'd forgotten how structured the admins make things. I'll miss that and I won't at the same time.

I used to draw keyboards from memory on paper just for fun. To do that I'd just pretend i was typing words then i'd remember the keys by my fingers muscle memory. Turns out all that business was just training for typing on glass or something. Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    Trust me over time you urn for more ability to change data and wifi where ever you are without closing out
    If you just leave wifi on, the iPhone will connect to known hotspots when you're in range of them and fall back to 3G when you're not.
    Macrumors is the fan website for iPhone.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    If you just leave wifi on, the iPhone will connect to known hotspots when you're in range of them and fall back to 3G when you're not.
    every time you try to use your conn a notification window pops up and asks you to choose a wifi spot first, though. It's really annoying.
    To the risk of oversimplifying, the iPhone is a distraction, while the Pre is a tool to get a better focus on one's life. Pixar adds in my apps? How does that help me be productive?

I love my Mac. (Still LOVE Windows 7 for the fabulous OneNote). But the whole culture behind the iPhone is not something I recognize myself in.

Palm just needs better hardware. Fast.

PS: Super Monkey Ball doesn't count as a distraction. It's more of a meditative experience. Hey, even surgeons use it to train their dexterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    every time you try to use your conn a notification window pops up and asks you to choose a wifi spot first, though. It's really annoying.
    You can turn that off. Go into the Wifi settings and turn off "Ask to Join Networks." The phone will only automatically connect to known networks then.
    I enjoy virtual keyboards.

many of the issue points discussed here are fixed by android.
    I used to like virtual keyboards for a bit, but now i guess I'm just used to my pres keyboard. i think the next palm device should have a virtual keyboard, since their is obviously a demand for it judging by how many iphone users their are.
    I know I really like the smaller size of my Pre. It's a lot easier to carry around in your front pocket if you don't want to look like a geek with a bat belt on your hip. It's been kind of nice after all these years of Cellphones to have one that goes so neatly in your pocket!

I also have enjoyed the adventure of WebOS. I could have gotten an Iphone and been very happy, or a Android for that matter, but being part of WebOS since 060609 has been a lot of fun.

I'm not saying Pre is for everyone, or Iphone, or Android. I'm just saying I prefer the Pre for myself right now.
    so bell gave you a new iphone for free?
    I am sure this belongs in another board but whatever. I don't understand how anyone could say the pre keyboard is cramped but still enjoy typing on glass.
    Hey, I got severely drunk over the weekend and puked on my iPhone as I was phoning for a lift home. A quick wipe over and it was fine again. Try that with a physical keyboard / slider phone
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCaine View Post
    Hey, I got severely drunk over the weekend and puked on my iPhone as I was phoning for a lift home. A quick wipe over and it was fine again. Try that with a physical keyboard / slider phone
    LOL.
    Typical iPhone user?
    jk!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    LOL.
    Typical iPhone user?
    jk!!
    Possibly not. I'm in my 50's, obese and have high blood pressure. I'd gone on a crash diet to try to reduce weight and hopefully BP and on my usual Friday night out I had my usual amount of real ale / guest bitter at my local when my poor bewildered stomach seemed to object to it. The result was not pleasant although a quick wipe with a damp cloth next morning soon sorted my phone out.

It's not like I'm a WKD drinking teenager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast