Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was reading in the newspaper Apple has accumulated $42 billion in cash mainly from Iphone sales. They can't even figure out what to do with all the cash. As a long time Palm loyalist this is another sign Palm is slowly losing this battle. How can they compete against this?

You can only wonder if the Pre execution had been better what portion of that cash would be sitting on Palm's books.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Well they can start by giving some back(dividends) to the investors

P.s. I dont own any apple stocks.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Are you kidding? You can't make $42b from a couple of years of iphone sales.

Also, Palm was never going to 'win' from Apple..
    & just think... The more bad press out there the more people that will leave palm because they are scared of loosing updates and apps and all on there investment. If people stop posting bad press and let Palm try to recover "things may start to look different immediately".

PS: This is not hating on you, we all just need to give Palm time to recover.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Well they can start by giving some back(dividends) to the investors

P.s. I dont own any apple stocks.
    Agreed, I don;t have stock either, but my father does!!

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    At this point, I don't think anybody can really "compete" with Apple. We've seen devices come and go that are superior to iPod/iTouch/iPhone/iPad and they have yet to to be toppled in the only category that matters: sales.

Palm just has to do what they've always done. Stay small in proportion to their sales and offer a solid device and OS that satifies a niche of the market (they need to concentrate on the solid part).
    ^ Lucky man i remember in 2008/2009 APPLE stock dropped to whooping ninety something dollar man that was sweet sweet sweet deal i wish i had bought 'em Daaaamn
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    At this point, I don't think anybody can really "compete" with Apple. We've seen devices come and go that are superior to iPod/iTouch/iPhone/iPad and they have yet to to be toppled in the only category that matters: sales.

Palm just has to do what they've always done. Stay small in proportion to their sales and offer a solid device and OS that satifies a niche of the market (they need to concentrate on the solid part).
    I don't know... these new android devices make the iphone look like crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I don't know... these new android devices make the iphone look like crap.
    Yeah but as long as the main stream consumer is hooked into apple, they will not go to an "inferior" OS.

Translation = availability of phones, support, development, and apps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I had to my snooty apple consumer hat on there for a second, now my head hurts.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    The amount of cash that Apple has on-hand is a symptom of their success, not a cause. I'd say that the $10 billion that Google has on-hand, and the $40+ billion that Microsoft has, impacts Palm more because these two companies are the ones trying to play catch-up to Apple. If we think things are crazily competitive right now, just wait until Windows Phone 7 is released at the end of the year.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    ^ Lucky man i remember in 2008/2009 APPLE stock dropped to whooping ninety something dollar man that was sweet sweet sweet deal i wish i had bought 'em Daaaamn
    I bought 250 shares back in Feb of 2004 when they were at $43 a share. But better yet, my Priceline stock I got back in Jan of 2006 for $21.30 (now at $261 a share).
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I bought 250 shares back in Feb of 2004 when they were at $43 a share. But better yet, my Priceline stock I got back in Jan of 2006 for $21.30 (now at $261 a share).
    Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Nice work!
    Hope I can say the same about my Palm stock .. lol. I've been flipping back and forth between selling and just cutting my losses or 'riding the wave.'
    Palm isn't getting anywhere near Apple, Microsoft or Google. They all are extremely well run companies with multiple revenue streams. Well Google is largely advertising but the others make multiple things. And for the most part what they sell they are the best at. There's nothing consumers like better then Adsense in online advertising, or ipods for mp3 players, itunes for online music, macs for design work, windows for corporate American and home computers. Palm enthusiast sentiments aside i'd have to ask what is Palm the best at? They only make phones and i don't think they are the best. The public clearly doesn't think it's the best as the company struggles with sales. And phonewise Google and Microsoft barely dabble in hardware so they don't have to worry about stuff like broken screens and bad sliders. And when it comes to hardware Apple is top notch historically in terms of design. Not to mention they built iphone on the back of a blockbuster product in the ipod. In terms of management alone Palm isn't close nor does it have the financial cushion or brand loyalty to make expensive mistakes like the others can.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    A bit OT: I bought my first Mac back in '03 and dug the fact that I was not mainstream. Also, that I knew my OS was superior (in my opinion) to anything else out there. It felt odd to me that OS X never caught on to a greater degree. Now I'm feeling the same way about Palm and webOS. I don't want an iPhone because everyone else has one. And I know my (mobile) OS is superior.

I remember when Microsoft dumped a bunch of cash into an ailing Apple and in return we got Office for Mac (I think that was the deal, anyways). That aint happening for Palm with Windows Phone 7 on the horizon with full Office support. Anyways, it would be nice if a big shot corporation saw the value in webOS and Palm innovation. Nobody ever talks about Touchstone. That in and of itself if a huge technological step. I'm sure the Palm (ex-Apple) engineers have much more they are capable of, if the company could just stay afloat.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Then reality hits. Your Mac OS isn't superior. Neither is webOS.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I guess we'll agree to disagree then cardfan
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    to me the reality is "superiority" of an operating system is, one, not that important, and, two, utterly subjective.

some love macs cause they are simplified and streamlined other's utterly loathe the handholding the O.S. does and prefer windows. For example Itunes will rename all your files for you. i've owned several of both macs and windows for the record. Some may say apple's desktop O.S. is superior but most businesses use windows so clearly they have determined that at this point it's better to use that then something else for many reasons. maybe it's cost, maybe they run their own software that is built to run under windows.

And for me it's those "reasons" that are the big thing a lot of people ignore when talking about the Pre or palm. Or apple, rim, android for that matter. Because just like a company that may like OS leapord but uses windows phone users may pass on a pre for 'reasons" that are important to them other then the O.S. being superior. And what i think Apple has done extremely well is provide many reasons where as i think Palm has only provided a few reasons, and several, like multitasking, i think are not as important as they'd like it to be. The apple platform provides, podcasts, movies, tv shows, a good music player, and a **** load of apps from companies that everyone has heard of, etc, etc all wrapped in good package and presentation. From a business standpoint that sells well and i think Palm's failure to match that has been a major issue as much as hardware has.

my two cents.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    The apple platform provides, podcasts, movies, tv shows, a good music player, and a **** load of apps from companies that everyone has heard of, etc, etc all wrapped in good package and presentation.
    I saw a commercial last night where a guy opened the trunk to his car with his iPhone. Yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I saw a commercial last night where a guy opened the trunk to his car with his iPhone. Yikes.
    luckily i got a little button on my car keys keychain that does that already. lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast