Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I might be a lil bit late with this but WOW!!!: Dell's Lightning, Thunder, Flash, Smoke and more: rounding up a storm of mobile leaks -- Engadget

Please Palm, come harder than these guys, the EVO and the new iPhone because these new devices are MONSTERS!!!
    Not late by much, just a day or two looks sweeter the Fourth time around
    More like the fortieth, but his underlying point is accurate. These devices are getting mindshare now, and launching on AT&T (and probably T-Mobile) later this year.

Palm shouldn't be trying to compete with the next generation with Pre and Piixi Plus any more than Apple should be trying to a CDMA launch of the iPhone 3G. That's pretty much how far behind the hardware is at this point.
    These new devices are really setting the trend for the mobile market. I guess we will have to wait and see if palm has the guts to stick with them and put out comparable hardware.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  5.    #5  
    With this kind of hardware and improved software and OS, it's gonna be hard to stay with Palm despite my diehard love for WebOS. I wonder if this is why Dell is out of the running for buying Palm? Thoughts...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Freaking Android is taking over
    This is a great time in life to be a phone geek, and experience all the major changes that happens so radically. now if some Guinness's can get on how to invent a better battery soon, or at least release the one that can charge in like 20 seconds then we will be good
    Palm is on the clock and their next move needs to be strong. At this point it's obvious that they need to one up these phones to attract new WebOS users. If they only match phones like this, they will only keep current WebOS users. I think we all know how that would end.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I think Palm is being smart and won't announce their next phone until a month or so before it's launched.

You see it with many Sony Ericsson smartphones. We saw it with the Pre. You can't keep the hype going for more than a couple of months. Plus, the competition will have time to work on a more attractive/similar product. This is a problem Dell will have as well if they launch some of these phones in November/December.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Freaking Android is taking over
    No doubt. It's only getting worse (or better if you're an Android fan) and this is before the release of the Windows 7 devices. That OS is SWEET!

I still stand behind Palm because WebOS is by far the greatest mobile OS ever made. These others can't touch it BUT they are getting better and have the hardware to boot... LET DO IT PALM!!!
    I wonder how it would look if Android and Webos had a baby...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I think Palm is being smart and won't announce their next phone until a month or so before it's launched.

You see it with many Sony Ericsson smartphones. We saw it with the Pre. You can't keep the hype going for more than a couple of months. Plus, the competition will have time to work on a more attractive/similar product. This is a problem Dell will have as well if they launch some of these phones in November/December.
    I largely agree, but that time frame needs to be coming soon. Simple fact is, most Pre early adopters are tech guys who love new toys. If the Evo releases and they don't at least have a reliable leak or something to excite them. They are gonna buy an Evo. I'm not speaking for everyone, but it would be large portion of potential day one sales lost for sure.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post

I don't completely agree. That may be true for companies that are not in trouble of going under but for palm, i think something needs to be "leaked", rumored or even lied about to keep even diehard Palm fan interested. With all of this constant bombardment of new devices, some of us Palm ******* are droolin...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    I largely agree, but that time frame needs to be coming soon. Simple fact is, most Pre early adopters are tech guys who love new toys. If the Evo releases and they don't at least have a reliable leak or something to excite them. They are gonna buy an Evo. I'm not speaking for everyone, but it would be large portion of potential day one sales lost for sure.
    Agreed...
    the best hardware won't overcome the fact that the webos app ecosystem has failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    the best hardware won't overcome the fact that the webos app ecosystem has failed.
    eh, my opinion about the ecosystem is that its "failure" will only cause the pre not to be as big as iphone or android. palm still CAN succeed, but with a much smaller user base. (at least i hope)
  17.    #17  
    But how many apps do you really need? I don't agree totally that apps are the problem. I always figured that you find the apps that work well for you and get the most out of them. Doesn't matter if the app catalog has 1000 or 100,000, as long as you find something that works. After all, Android has something like 200,000+ apps but nobody has that many on their devices.

It comes down to word of mouth and marketing. Something even Palm had to admit they failed at.

Case and point: This is PreCentral and we are talking about other devices. I love Palm. Been with them since the Handspring days but even I am shocked by what is coming... from other companies
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    But how many apps do you really need? I don't agree totally that apps are the problem. I always figured that you find the apps that work well for you and get the most out of them. Doesn't matter if the app catalog has 1000 or 100,000, as long as you find something that works. After all, Android has something like 200,000+ apps but nobody has that many on their devices.

It comes down to word of mouth and marketing. Something even Palm had to admit they failed at.
    I agree. the main point of having a million and one apps is that it creates a marketing tool. (ppl like the numbers game). palm needs to find their "niche" in marketing webos
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Well IMO Android is a "failure" and is really half a$$ed, but really popular only cause of its hardware, and since more people love it for its hardware developers will go where ever the money is so that is the only reason that i think they have a nice amount of apps. I think once palm has some awesome hardware then it would not matter as much about some of webos bugs cause it will be over looked by the cell phone thread nowadays on who has the better hardware, and when that hapeneds developers will follow.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    the advantage of having 200,000 apps isn't that you'd use even a small fraction of the total - it's that the niche app that does EXACTLY what you're looking for is much more likely to exist.

want to know where the best trees to make maple syrup from are? How about one for burping the alphabet? Although they're silly ideas, they represent the fluff that makes a platform "fun" - and palm doesn't have nearly enough of them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast