Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadi View Post
    I largely agree, but that time frame needs to be coming soon. Simple fact is, most Pre early adopters are tech guys who love new toys. If the Evo releases and they don't at least have a reliable leak or something to excite them. They are gonna buy an Evo. I'm not speaking for everyone, but it would be large portion of potential day one sales lost for sure.
    True that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    I don't completely agree. That may be true for companies that are not in trouble of going under but for palm, i think something needs to be "leaked", rumored or even lied about to keep even diehard Palm fan interested. With all of this constant bombardment of new devices, some of us Palm ******* are droolin...
    Depends on the timing. If they have a phone ready for July, the could announce it in May or June and it would work out. If they are not going to have a new phone until October, they better say something in June when all these contracts run out and the Evo is coming.
    Agreed with prior posts - they don't need a device out in June, but they really need to at least give enough details to reduce a mass exodus to the EVO or next iPhone.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    If they only match phones like this, they will only keep current WebOS users.
    I'm about at the end of my rope with webOS, finding out that there will be no office suite (dataviz office or others) anytime soon pretty much defeats the purpose of me owning a smartphone.

There is no way I will stay with webOS if they stay will the current design of the pre. webOS is nice but not enough for me to stay.

I'll think long and hard even if they come out with a new handset. There's just too much competition entering the market for me to pledge an alliance.
    palms situation is really tricky. Androids recent unexpected blow-up is making things alot harder for palm. The new at&t video is amazing, and if aired will help palm. But palm has alot they need to do in a very short amount of time. Hopefully they have lots of stuff made that's being kept to be released with the new device, cause currently its lacking a fair amount of must haves. Including apis, the abillity to release pdk apps, push notifications, better facebook,and contacts sync, msn for messaging, improved universal search, calendar improvements. Speed, and tmc problems.They also need to make a new hot app challenge, and spend more millions on that once they have all the apis, and have made the pdk apps available.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Will new hardware save Palm from the position they put themselves in? IMO, these are the things that need to be addressed:

Hardware
    Marketing
    Software
    Apps
    Public Perception
    Media Support
    Fan Perception

Firing the old marketing team and getting new hardware is a start, but those are the easiest problems to solve. Stuff like Apps, Media, Public and Fan support are going to be the bigger obstacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Will new hardware save Palm from the position they put themselves in? IMO, these are the things that need to be addressed:

Hardware
    Marketing
    Software
    Apps
    Public Perception
    Media Support
    Fan Perception

Firing the old marketing team and getting new hardware is a start, but those are the easiest problems to solve. Stuff like Apps, Media, Public and Fan support are going to be the bigger obstacles.
    if they use something like the at&t video for the pre, the sales will be alot higher.
    Better hardware, more functionality, especially PIM in the OS is what is needed.. Palm has to stop trying to be all things to all people.

Crisis of identity is their biggest issue right now.
    One thought on the "application catalog" to ponder:

It is absolutely correct to say that having 1000 of the "right" applications avaialble is all one *needs", however, that isnt the public and marketting perception, and here's why:

Your needs are different than mine, and both of our needs will be different than any other person's needs. Having a huge amount of applications available assures the users that anything that they need their smartphone to do will likely be possible, somewhere, via an application.

If there are 200,000 iPhone apps, the likelihood of my "desire" for quotes by Hipocrates, or a calculator that inetgrates physics calculations and units will be there, versus that application catalog that has only 1000 or 2000 applications, understand? Its the variety of applications in a large assortment that will draw customers and developers to it.

This is where the media focuses on, and the marketting forces drive sales for the device and those applications.. which, of course, is a safer "bet" for app developers.

Having said the above, lets not forget one really important thing, here:

Apple didnt release their first iPhone application for sale in their store until a year after the iPhone launch...

Palm has 2200+ applications for sale a mere 10 months after thier launch, and had as many as a few hundred a mere 5 months after the launch.

Comparing "Apples" to "apples" here (sorry for the pun), the smaller "apples" (um... that would be PALM), has performed quite well, in that regard!

Unfortunately, when PALM "joined the race" after it has started, this type of performance was absolutely manditory.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

True, considering Palm started from scratch they did well getting the whole App thing off the ground. However, we live in a NOW generation, everyone wants everything yesterday, so when the average consumer shops around for a new phone, they will see the huge app availabilty on the iPhone and Android, then look at Palms and think to themselves "must not be very good, because there's hardly anything out there for it". Hardly anyone outside of us core group of webOS fans knows that Gameloft titles are available, no one even bothered advertising those like what Apple does, picking a few choice apps and sticking them into a commercial.

This is a popularity contest, 150000 and 40000 apps compared to 2000....who do you think is going to win that? People will go with what's popular, its just how it is, and when you factor in the shortcomings of the Pre...cough cough "TMC" cough cough, and combine it with lousy marketing, well we know what happened.

As far as Android being a "failure".... Google has deep pockets and lots of resources. Android went from an ugly duckling OS on an even uglier launch phone (G1) to a desireable sexy beast running on the latest and greatest hardware. HTC's Sense UI looks very appealing to me. It has just the right amount of ease of use and extensive customizability to make it attractive to both, the hot cheer leader and the super geek. Seeing how HTC started taking pages out of Palms playbook by being able to link accounts so that you can associate a Facebook person with an Exchange person just shows that they are on top of things and know what's important to the public.

I see Palm still launching what is essentially one year old hardware on new carriers, in todays tech world, that's just suicide. They need to get all the bugs worked out and running it on "Incredible, Evolutionary" hardware (pun intended) in the hope to attract more devs ASAP.

And, lastly, I think making everything web based was a bit of a mistake, it resulted in sluggish performance making for some not so hot apps. It's kinda like telling your devs, "here, program in Basic, you guys all know how to do that, just make something good with it", instead of going the "fruity" route. What apps show what the hardware can really do? What made even us webOS hardcore fans scare the guy off the forum who showed us Need for Speed on the Pre because we didn't believe him? Games! The Pre can do it, we all know that now. There are so many devs that develop in C++ on the iphone side, if Palm would have just stayed away from the web language stuff or at least would have had the PDK ready with the launch of the Pre, I bet you every iphone dev would have jumped on it making those quick dollars while the App Catalog is still almost empty. Gameloft shows us how easy it apparently is to port apps, why didn't Palm go that route right away?

I don't know much about programming and stuff, so all this is just my opinon on how I understand things.

Anyhow....done ranting....
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    True, considering Palm started from scratch they did well getting the whole App thing off the ground. However, we live in a NOW generation, everyone wants everything yesterday, so when the average consumer shops around for a new phone, they will see the huge app availabilty on the iPhone and Android, then look at Palms and think to themselves "must not be very good, because there's hardly anything out there for it". Hardly anyone outside of us core group of webOS fans knows that Gameloft titles are available, no one even bothered advertising those like what Apple does, picking a few choice apps and sticking them into a commercial.

This is a popularity contest, 150000 and 40000 apps compared to 2000....who do you think is going to win that? People will go with what's popular, its just how it is, and when you factor in the shortcomings of the Pre...cough cough "TMC" cough cough, and combine it with lousy marketing, well we know what happened.

As far as Android being a "failure".... Google has deep pockets and lots of resources. Android went from an ugly duckling OS on an even uglier launch phone (G1) to a desireable sexy beast running on the latest and greatest hardware. HTC's Sense UI looks very appealing to me. It has just the right amount of ease of use and extensive customizability to make it attractive to both, the hot cheer leader and the super geek. Seeing how HTC started taking pages out of Palms playbook by being able to link accounts so that you can associate a Facebook person with an Exchange person just shows that they are on top of things and know what's important to the public.

I see Palm still launching what is essentially one year old hardware on new carriers, in todays tech world, that's just suicide. They need to get all the bugs worked out and running it on "Incredible, Evolutionary" hardware (pun intended) in the hope to attract more devs ASAP.

And, lastly, I think making everything web based was a bit of a mistake, it resulted in sluggish performance making for some not so hot apps. It's kinda like telling your devs, "here, program in Basic, you guys all know how to do that, just make something good with it", instead of going the "fruity" route. What apps show what the hardware can really do? What made even us webOS hardcore fans scare the guy off the forum who showed us Need for Speed on the Pre because we didn't believe him? Games! The Pre can do it, we all know that now. There are so many devs that develop in C++ on the iphone side, if Palm would have just stayed away from the web language stuff or at least would have had the PDK ready with the launch of the Pre, I bet you every iphone dev would have jumped on it making those quick dollars while the App Catalog is still almost empty. Gameloft shows us how easy it apparently is to port apps, why didn't Palm go that route right away?

I don't know much about programming and stuff, so all this is just my opinon on how I understand things.

Anyhow....done ranting....
    siiiigh. thanks for posting this. its basically everything that i think but was unable to put into words in a way that didn't ramble on and on. but yes +1
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    siiiigh. thanks for posting this. its basically everything that i think but was unable to put into words in a way that didn't ramble on and on. but yes +1
    Lol....your welcome. I was afraid about rambling on myself. But I wonder if my Comp 1 teacher from college would have liked it...haha.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I agree, love the Webos platform, but the hardware is still so-so and the apps catalouge while good, needs more to be competitive.
    Palm is on the clock and their next move needs to be strong. At this point it's obvious that they need to one up these phones to attract new WebOS users. If they only match phones like this, they will only keep current WebOS users. I think we all know how that would end.
    To take a page from the Bulletin of theAtomic Scientist, for Palm it's like 6 minutes to midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    eh, my opinion about the ecosystem is that its "failure" will only cause the pre not to be as big as iphone or android. palm still CAN succeed, but with a much smaller user base. (at least i hope)
    Hope does not make a good business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Well IMO Android is a "failure" and is really half a$$ed, but really popular only cause of its hardware, and since more people love it for its hardware developers will go where ever the money is so that is the only reason that i think they have a nice amount of apps. I think once palm has some awesome hardware then it would not matter as much about some of webos bugs cause it will be over looked by the cell phone thread nowadays on who has the better hardware, and when that hapeneds developers will follow.
    I find this funny, more WebOS apps will somehow make users forget about the WebOS bugs. This would seem more like wishful thinking than reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    the advantage of having 200,000 apps isn't that you'd use even a small fraction of the total - it's that the niche app that does EXACTLY what you're looking for is much more likely to exist.

want to know where the best trees to make maple syrup from are? How about one for burping the alphabet? Although they're silly ideas, they represent the fluff that makes a platform "fun" - and palm doesn't have nearly enough of them.
    Unfortunately this is a good point.
    I don't need new hardware. I love my Pre+
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Hopefully TI is working behind the scenes with Palm to have OMAP4 ready for prime time by Q3. An announcement before the EVO hits is imparative.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I think for palm to have any shot at all they have to at least announce competitive hardware before the EVO hits the shelves and before the next iphone gets announced. Once that happens Apple will own the majority of the coverage for a while and it will be really hard to get any coverage beyond "and in other news, Palm has a new phone, yawn."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't need new hardware. I love my Pre+
    Life is not stagnate, neither is the cell phone market. If new hardware is not forthcoming, you will be standing in a lonely line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Hopefully TI is working behind the scenes with Palm to have OMAP4 ready for prime time by Q3. An announcement before the EVO hits is imparative.
    This word "hopefully", is used entirely to much here.

Quote Originally Posted by bsoder View Post
    I think for palm to have any shot at all they have to at least announce competitive hardware before the EVO hits the shelves and before the next iphone gets announced. Once that happens Apple will own the majority of the coverage for a while and it will be really hard to get any coverage beyond "and in other news, Palm has a new phone, yawn."
    So true. Too bad Palm cannot release the hardware before June. After June they are going to get buried.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12