1.    #1  
    Just wondering if there has been a TRUE breakdown of apps that apple has?

For example.. out of 180k apps... there are 50k that only make noises, 70k games, 5,000 calculators? etc...

and about 200 really great apps?
  2.    #2  
    just got back home... found this from Sept 2009

App Store by the Numbers: Category Breakdown | iPhone analytics, iPhone apps, iPhone advertising: Mobclix

There are 20 categories total (not counting subcategories), and we’ve got the skinny on how many apps are in each one. Now, we present, the App Store Breakdown:

1. Games: 16,603 apps (19.6%)

2. Entertainment: 12,656 apps (14.9%)

3. Books: 10,204 apps (12%)

4. Utilities: 5,655 (6.7%)

5. Travel: 5,620 (6.6%)

6. Education: 5,345 (6.3%)

7. Lifestyle: 4,617 (5.5%)

8. Reference: 3,002 (3.5%)

9. Music: 2,799 (3.3%)

10. Sports: 2,456 (2.9%)

11. Productivity: 2,333 (2.8%)

12. Navigation: 2,303 (2.7%)

13. News: 2,028 (2.4%)

14. Business: 1,914 (2.3%)

15. Health & Fitness: 1,879 (2.2%)

16. Social Networking: 1,332 apps (1.6%)

17. Photography: 1,318 apps (1.6%)

18. Finance: 1,223 apps (1.4%)

19. Medical: 972 apps (1.1%)

20. Weather: 422 apps (.6%)
  3.    #3  
    And let me guess.... everytime there is an iPhone update the iPhone 'redownloads' each app... stacking up the numbers even higher...

Guys... we can easily get 16,000 BS games on this phone...

Entertainment apps? these have to be the fart/beer/noise makers..

Book apps? what is that?

I know this thread might go ignored since it's way over here in the "other handhelds"... but this is an eyeopener for me... and there is no doubt every time there is an iPhone update the numbers go through the roof..
    I would assume the "book apps" are ebook style apps
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    And let me guess.... everytime there is an iPhone update the iPhone 'redownloads' each app... stacking up the numbers even higher...

Guys... we can easily get 16,000 BS games on this phone...

Entertainment apps? these have to be the fart/beer/noise makers..

Book apps? what is that?

I know this thread might go ignored since it's way over here in the "other handhelds"... but this is an eyeopener for me... and there is no doubt every time there is an iPhone update the numbers go through the roof..
    Seriously, why torture yourself. Most of what you're saying isn;t true so why get yourself so worked up over this stuff if you don't even want the product?

1) 50k Sound apps
    As much as people dwell on the old "Fart Apps" hoopla, that was a long time ago. To still ride that pony is ignorant because every platform gets a fart app but they get overshadowed quickly by useful stuff that's worth owning.

2) Your App Breakdown Link is severely outdated
    You chose to use a link from 2009. In the smartphone world then a year is a long time so why not refer to the more accurate chart on the same site you referred to? Mobclix Category Breakdown

Based on that chart
    17.8% Games
    17.5% Books
    11.6% Entertainment
    7.2% Education
    etc...

3) Updates are NOT new app counts
    You claim "everytime there is an iPhone update the iPhone 'redownloads' each app... stacking up the numbers even higher..." which isn't close to being true. Updates are simply updates to the SAME app so whether an app gets updated weekly or yearly they are each counted as a single app.

4) "Entertainment" doesnt mean Noise Maker
    You seem very intent on sticking this "noise maker" label on anything you can but you're way off. If anything it's just bad labeling because The "Entertainment" tag tends to be lightweight games, gambling and party games as well as Entertainment news.

5) Books
    Books are just that. Books. Not everyone can get on the Kindle/iBooks app so some authors just put their book as a standalone app. In general ignore them but now that I've used some iPad interactive books (toy story, Alice in Wonderland, Cat in the Hat) then the idea of interactivity is pretty awesome. Right now it's aiming towards kids with Toy Story (let kid record their voice or coloring book the scenes) but stuff like Alice lets you click pictures and shake the iPad to make her grow. It's the next generations pop-up book.

6) 200 Great Apps
    IF that's true then that's pretty impressive. I unsubcribed from ATT a year ago but still use my disabled iPhone because for me there's a dozen apps I still use daily to optimize my personal workflow and about 50 that I find to be "great". But I'm a big cheap-o so I'm sure there's a ton more great ones that I'm too cheap to discover.

7) This thread getting ignored
    I don't think this thread is getting ignored because of it's location. I think it will be ignored more because of the subject. Most people don't care this much about a product they have no intention on ever buying. It just seems like a waste of time.
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/23/2010 at 10:42 AM.
    I'll take 200 great apps vs the 5-10 or so that Palm has.
  7.    #7  
    i love the iPhone it's simple and made for the masses and almost bulletproof... i just asked a friend a question when he asked me how many apps does my phone have... i said only a few thousand. Then i asked him.. what apps are must have and you use the most on your phone.. he showed me the tazer and then we both laughed for about 5 minutes lol...

Just got me thinking of how much 'fluf' is in the iPhone's app catalog. Thats all... 34k books kinda stunned me but they are apps and counted as downloads.

yea my post is a little slanted i agree.. just want palm to do good.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    and about 200 really great apps?
    that's is inherently subjective. I think Tpain apps are stupid but some think they are great. i'm not paying $99 for a navigation app as i have a garmin in my car that i only paid $99 for so are those 'great"? i don't know i think they are overpriced. But i'm sure tons of people think they are great. Hell Pre has Pandora and it may be good for some. I don't use pandora or those sorts of services. Nor do i use the countless other noname apps on the pre. And take something like a financial services app like Etrade. For some people it's enough to log into their account and check how their stocks did that day. Others may need to trade stocks. Some may not like an app cause you can't trade after hours, or certain securities, or fund an account or pay bills. Besides even if Like if apple's catalog is only 15% good it's 15% of like 50000 so that's 7500 apps. i don't know how many apps they have thats enough. not to mention everybody is making an iphone app. like i got a fidelity account (along with etrade). None of the websites, brick and mortar stores etc that i use seem to be making a webos app and it's tough to attract people without that support. By the way Fidelity has a free iphone app. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fidel...0l3Vy&ct=vb_wn
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 04/26/2010 at 09:02 PM.
    what we need is a count of farting apps and public domain garbage from spammers like dijit and brighthouse, and apps that redirect to mobile web sites.

yes thay have a lot of legitimate apps. But I'll bet 40% of them are spam.
    man the iphone has 180k apps ..WOW
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what we need is a count of farting apps and public domain garbage from spammers like dijit and brighthouse, and apps that redirect to mobile web sites.

yes thay have a lot of legitimate apps. But I'll bet 40% of them are spam.
    Even if we allow that 40% of all apps on any platform is spam (after all Dijit and Brighthouse spam the webOS App Catalog too), that would still imply that the iPhone must have at least 72,000 apps of varying usefulness. Compare this to maybe 20,000 non-spam apps on Android and maybe 1,200 non-spam apps on webOS. That still adds up to a serious app deficit for webOS.

The good news is that webOS is still a young platform and will continue to grow as more webOS phones get distributed on more carriers. I think that it is safe to say that once your app count gets into the tens of thousands, it becomes a less meaningful metric. I have about 150 packages installed on my Palm Pre between free and paid App Catalog apps and Homebrew apps, patches, and a custom theme. And I have at least a dozen PalmOS apps installed on my Palm Pre under Classic. My old T-Mobile G1 slows to a crawl with just 40 Android apps installed. I probably only use a small subset of those apps on a regular basis and I suspect that most Android and iPhone users would report the same thing. So while app counts are important, they are not the be all and end all of mobile platform success.

Palm just needs more time for its catalog to continue to grow. And despite all the chattering of "Palm is going away," I think that they will get it. Exaggerated rumors of Palm's impending death have been floated for over a decade. Indeed Palm is exactly the sort of company which would be consistently dogged by such rumors. Palm large enough and well known enough that a large number of people will buy and sell stock in it. And it is small enough that its stock can swing wildly from high to low to high again based on such rumor-mongering.