1.    #1  
    What a day, when dell leaks their upcoming android and win7 phones. Say goodbye to the Pixi and hello to the Dell Smoke. The unfortunate things are it won't be here till 2011, and the only flavor is gsm. Running Android Froyo. On the Pre side they have a vertical slider in the Lightning.

Finally a company that gets how to make Palm phones. Now we just need to put the right OS on them. Seems like HTC will have some competition on their hands.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if HTC built these handsets for DELL.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
  3.    #3  
    I wouldn't be surprised either. I don't really care who builds them as long as they're just built. HTC's lineup is lacking in physical keyboards which is a shame. So as long as these are out there, there is bound to be cdma versions in some shape or form at some point.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/22/2010 at 06:41 PM.
    They took palm form factor and built the hardware better. Why couldn't have Palm done it right the first time?

If Palm would have released these phone with webOS in 09, they would have been killer.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Yikes. No thanks. Those things don't look good to me. Zune on a diet and running Windows (don't care if it's wm7), no thanks. I'd rather have Android (if WebOS dies), as clunky as it is.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6.    #6  
    The only thing Palm has done right in it's somewhat current history of phones is buy handspring. Then they just sat on their heels till the OS died. ZERO, let me say it again, ZERO innovation. Then they come up with an innovative OS, and have COBY make their hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    They took palm form factor and built the hardware better. Why couldn't have Palm done it right the first time?

If Palm would have released these phone with webOS in 09, they would have been killer.
    And Achill3s, you may say yikes, but you have no clue what WM7 will ultimately bring to the table. And, if HTC is the mfg of the phones, maybe you'll see a similar offering from them. The Smoke or Lightning running Android 2.5 & Sense? That's a win all around. C'mon Palm. Do one thing right and entice HTC to buy you. I think you've proven your ineptness, especially when one of your launch partners hangs you out to dry.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    So a windows 7 phone being released in 2011 without cut/paste and multitasking? The windows 7 os looks awful. The Dell android device though might be a different story.
  8.    #8  
    It's a shame you're somewhat wrong. The developers have said WM7 will absolutely have cut and paste but in prepration of the launch, developing it would hinder the OS's progress. The longer they would wait to launch the greater the uphill battle would be against iPhone and Android. After the initial rounds of rumors, the record was set straight. Multitasking is similar in style to Android, and hopefully a little smoother, but at launch and who knows how much longer, will be limited to the 1st party apps of their choosing. I would imagine it would expand. I can picture them doing the Apple control freak thing for long.

And God forbid they limit things at launch time to ensure a good user experience from the get go. Too many cards, constant resets, force closes and so on. What good is smooth and elegant multitasking if the TMC error keeps rearing its head? I'd also imagine they'd have to open up multitasking to 3rd party sooner than later. Zune is no itunes (and even many iphone owners I know are running Pandora), and to limit background music to the zune experience, your own music and the zunepass for $15/mo will be extremely limiting. I'd never pay $15/mo for something Pandora and Slacker do for free or fee a fee much lower than the zunepass. I'm sure I'm far from the only one, and MS will soon realize this since media will be a key feature of their phone.

And Dell better have some nice Sense like overlay because vanilla Android sucks. It's clunky. IMAP support sucks (no idle, no folder support). No "real" email integration since gmail is still the darling and everything else plays second fiddle. K-9 is not the answer. The phone app stinks. No T9 dialing. 3rd party ones are extremely slow. My Moment and I have a love/hate relationship because of those two things regardless of how I do speed dials and such.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I understand everyone has different tastes, but those Dell phones don't look very good to me, aesthetically. Not at all.
    Phone itself = sweet

UI = puke
    Last edited by octoberorange; 04/23/2010 at 10:37 AM.
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's a shame you're somewhat wrong. The developers have said WM7 will absolutely have cut and paste but in prepration of the launch, developing it would hinder the OS's progress. The longer they would wait to launch the greater the uphill battle would be against iPhone and Android. After the initial rounds of rumors, the record was set straight. Multitasking is similar in style to Android, and hopefully a little smoother, but at launch and who knows how much longer, will be limited to the 1st party apps of their choosing. I would imagine it would expand. I can picture them doing the Apple control freak thing for long.

And God forbid they limit things at launch time to ensure a good user experience from the get go. Too many cards, constant resets, force closes and so on. What good is smooth and elegant multitasking if the TMC error keeps rearing its head? I'd also imagine they'd have to open up multitasking to 3rd party sooner than later. Zune is no itunes (and even many iphone owners I know are running Pandora), and to limit background music to the zune experience, your own music and the zunepass for $15/mo will be extremely limiting. I'd never pay $15/mo for something Pandora and Slacker do for free or fee a fee much lower than the zunepass. I'm sure I'm far from the only one, and MS will soon realize this since media will be a key feature of their phone.

And Dell better have some nice Sense like overlay because vanilla Android sucks. It's clunky. IMAP support sucks (no idle, no folder support). No "real" email integration since gmail is still the darling and everything else plays second fiddle. K-9 is not the answer. The phone app stinks. No T9 dialing. 3rd party ones are extremely slow. My Moment and I have a love/hate relationship because of those two things regardless of how I do speed dials and such.
    Considering our last skirmish, if you still remember it, isn't it surprising we agree on something and I even hit the "thanks" button?

Anyhow, I have been watching reviews for the Desire and Incredible, and surprisingly enough, in the HTC mail app, Gmail is not included, and they said the email app has pop/imap/exchange support. No folder support doesn't seem like an issue to me, but I can see how business users would want that. Is it possible that only your Moment on 1.6 (that's what its running, right?) doesn't have that support and 2.1 does? Also, in those review videos, the dialer did have T9 dialing support, type in the name T9 style and it popped right up. Check out this review of the Incredible:
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I would love for Dell to buy Palm. But if the did it would probably be 9 months from the time the deal closed to when we would see a Dell/palm phone out.
    to bad you gotta wait till 2011 wish you could leave already
  14.    #14  
    It's all in good fun

I thought my Hero allowed me to move mail to folders (a feature of Sense), but it's been a while since I traded it for the Pixi. The Moment is running 1.5, but I've loaded the leaked 2.1 ROM on it, and being allowed to move to folders or just report as spam still isn't there. It's integrated so I can see all my accounts in a combined inbox (gmail excluded, though I'm sure I could set up gmail in there), but still no folder support. And I didn't have T9 support in 2.1 unless there's some checkbox I missed. I'd done enough work arounds, that I didn't feel like doing another to get my protected apps back (mostly my DTG) so I went back to a modified 1.5 kernel. 2.1 does integrate Exchange into the email app.

The Incredible is running Sense. They have T9 dialing and good folder support. Vanilla Android? No. I like widgets. I like real visual voicemail (even if it's gvoice's excellent app over stock VVM). I like some of the useful apps. I just hate how clunky Vanilla Android is, almost how I felt when I was using a Treo Pro and winmob. A lot of functionality with zero finesse. That's what I like about webOS. Outside of the lag, it's a joy to use, especially when I have it patched for my needs. But I don't have the one key widget I use which is a home screen agenda widget, and Agenda for webOS isn't a substitute. Though right now, when I switched back to the 1.5 kernel my Exchange appts aren't showing up in the widget which has me frustrated. And webOS still doesn't have an Office editing solution, and there are a few things I need to update from my phone or it just doesn't get done.

Going to the Evo isn't vanilla android. But Dell won't have Sense running on its Android phones. They'll have some overlay I'm sure, but who knows how well it'll clean up Android. And even then, it's yet another company with another heavily modded version of Android that most likely won't be keeping up with the latest Android revisions. Though I'm sure in another year, Froyo will be out. It will hopefully create some version stability and end the rapid updates that have created all the fragmentation. Mfg's will be able to play catch up, and most phones will hopefully be running the latest Android version.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Considering our last skirmish, if you still remember it, isn't it surprising we agree on something and I even hit the "thanks" button?

Anyhow, I have been watching reviews for the Desire and Incredible, and surprisingly enough, in the HTC mail app, Gmail is not included, and they said the email app has pop/imap/exchange support. No folder support doesn't seem like an issue to me, but I can see how business users would want that. Is it possible that only your Moment on 1.6 (that's what its running, right?) doesn't have that support and 2.1 does? Also, in those review videos, the dialer did have T9 dialing support, type in the name T9 style and it popped right up. Check out this review of the Incredible: