Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From Endgadget: Android ported to iPhone

So the question is: can we get this? It would be cool to have the option to dual boot into Android.

With what we've recently gained in development tools and recently learned in kernel modification, do we have the tools to attempt this yet?

[Edit: Sorry, mods maybe I should have posted this in Cross-Platform Chat]
    Last edited by SqyArc; 04/22/2010 at 04:59 AM.
    Whoa. Nuts.
    Why would we want it ?
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Why would we want it ?
    Off the top of my head:

1) Because we can - geeks like to fiddle
    2) Because it gives us choice
    3) Because it might give us access to apps and features that WebOS can't yet provide - like:
    • Web streams like BBC iPlayer
    • A voice recorder
    • Shazaam
    • Better Google Maps
    • Any of the other thousands of Android apps

It would allow us to extend the functionality of our phones. If you are given choice, you are given freedom.

PS. Please don't anybody tell me to "just go and buy an Android phone" - because then I wouldn't have the wonderful benefits of WebOS.

The beauty of dual booting is that you can have your cake and eat it
    Well, you CAN have your cake and eat it! What would be cool, though, is if we could EAT our cake and have it too

I agree though...why not?! Nothing wrong with more choices. Don't think you need it? Don't choose it. Wanna try it? Give it a go!
    I'll be very excited if i can port WebOs to another hardware, because the Pre's hardware is a flake.
    Sounds like a great option to have available. Would be more of a cool toy to play with than something you want to be productive using. People complain about the time it takes to start apps now. How about 5 mins to boot up Android and run Shazzam. But neat nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I'll be very excited if i can port WebOs to another hardware, because the Pre's hardware is a flake.
    Yeah I'd be more interested in porting/dualbooting webOS onto another device, rather than porting another OS onto a Pre/Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Yeah I'd be more interested in porting/dualbooting webOS onto another device, rather than porting another OS onto a Pre/Pixi.
    Me too. Unfortunately, i'll port webos into the new iPhone too. I like the structure of the iPhone, but i dislike the OS the iPhone is running under, hence i call it the Iphony. But webos in an iPhone hardware with or without the gesture bar. I like....hmmmm...i like the sound of that.
    Whatever happened to that Treo 650 running Android? It came up once and never returned. I figured somebody would have had some instruncions on how to do that by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    +1 for this
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    This is whats missing with webos. I have to admit I'm no apple ****** but having an iTouch there is so much you can do with the "jailbroken" iphone OS. Palm OS used to be like this back in the day, I remember loading linux on my treo 700P, these are things hackers, geeks, techie people enjoy, being able to exploit their device.
    has anyone attempted to contact the developer? i searched his username in the article, however, i did not find that name listed. contact this dev!
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    From Endgadget: Android ported to iPhone

So the question is: can we get this? It would be cool to have the option to dual boot into Android.

With what we've recently gained in development tools and recently learned in kernel modification, do we have the tools to attempt this yet?

[Edit: Sorry, mods maybe I should have posted this in Cross-Platform Chat]
    I'd rather have WebOS on nicer hardware, thanks.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I agree, I wonder if we can find a platform for an easier port.
    From experience, dual booting is pretty cool. I currently have an HTC Diamond, and have had a dual boot with WM6.5 and Android. It's definitely the "Oh, look what I can do" thing...However, it's what really helped me figure out that I don't like Android very much.

Still looking forward to the Pre Plus on AT&T.
    are they actually able to make calls? Or just run it like an Android-based PDA?
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Do we even have source for WebOS like we do for Android?

I'd like Android on my Pre, as I mentioned in another thread, in case Palm goes under before I can afford a new phone. No doubt people will say "But homebrew will still work and anything you've already downloaded will still work", but that wouldn't change the phone's orphan status. Already went through that with the Sharp Zaurus years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog469 View Post
    Do we even have source for WebOS like we do for Android?

I'd like Android on my Pre, as I mentioned in another thread, in case Palm goes under before I can afford a new phone. No doubt people will say "But homebrew will still work and anything you've already downloaded will still work", but that wouldn't change the phone's orphan status. Already went through that with the Sharp Zaurus years ago.
    Virtual machines would be much cooler than dual boot, though :-)
    : (){:|:&};:
    Virtual machines use a lot more RAM and run more slowly than running it on bare iron, and often don't have access to the full functionality of the hardware. But having both options would be great.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast