1.    #1  
    Apple Considering $8 Billion Acquisition of ARM [RUMOR]

If this was allowed and happens, it would cause a huge shift in the mobile market. The Palm Pre uses an ARM Cortex processor; not sure what this would mean for future devices.

Interesting nonetheless. What are your thoughts on this?
    IF it does, then the iphone will no longer be sold in Europe, cause there is no way in hel the European union will allow that to happen.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    IF it does, then the iphone will no longer be sold in Europe, cause there is no way in hel the European union will allow that to happen.
    You do realize that ARM is European based, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You do realize that ARM is European based, right?
    aww, then no way they are going to allow apple to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    aww, then no way they are going to allow apple to buy it.
    as long as its on the up and up, the EU will let the buy out go through.....
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

If this was allowed and happens, it would cause a huge shift in the mobile market. The Palm Pre uses an ARM Cortex processor; not sure what this would mean for future devices.

Interesting nonetheless. What are your thoughts on this?
    Interesting indeed, good for apple, but not the end of the world for the rest of the smartphone competition(if it should happen). I don't see why apple would need to buy arm, maybe just cuz they can?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Interesting indeed, good for apple, but not the end of the world for the rest of the smartphone competition(if it should happen). I don't see why apple would need to buy arm, maybe just cuz they can?
    No idea. They already have their own secret section of Intel (literally).
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I don't see Apple spending $8 billion on a mobile cpu company. Not on any company actually.

Only to keep the competition from buying stuff from ARM? So how is this a wise investment if they eliminate 95% of the ARM's costumer base? ...who'll just move to some other cpu maker..
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I don't see Apple spending $8 billion on a mobile cpu company. Not on any company actually.

Only to keep the competition from buying stuff from ARM? So how is this a wise investment if they eliminate 95% of the ARM's costumer base? ...who'll just move to some other cpu maker..
    Does one really know their motives? Is it to prevent others from using the chip? I personally don't think so. And what's $8 billion when you have $80 billion in the bank?

maybe they will do what they do with intel and get stuff extra early.
    There shouldn't be much impact on other ARM powered devices. ARM licenses it's product out to a lot of other manufacturers.

One big bonus for Apple is the revenue that they could receive from the ongoing licensing fees, as such I don't think that they'll mess with other ARM powered products.

Purchasing ARM will give them access to a lot of IP that they'll undoubtedly use for creating more of their own custom silicon.

Apple has acquired both PA Semi and Intrinsity (a company that creates fast versions of ARM chips, Snapdragon is one such device). Acquiring ARM would seem to be a logical step.

Overall I don't anticipate any negative effects on any other current or future ARM licensee.
    Didn't Apple help develop the ARM architecture and have a stake in ARM at one time?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Does one really know their motives? Is it to prevent others from using the chip? I personally don't think so. And what's $8 billion when you have $80 billion in the bank?
    The article says they have $40 million on hand, so that's almost 1/4th of their capital. ARM would have to be more than magical for Apple to spent that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    There shouldn't be much impact on other ARM powered devices. ARM licenses it's product out to a lot of other manufacturers.

One big bonus for Apple is the revenue that they could receive from the ongoing licensing fees, as such I don't think that they'll mess with other ARM powered products.
    You know you're talking about Apple sharing their IP with the competition right? ...
    The article says they have $40 million on hand, so that's almost 1/4th of their capital.
    Actually, its $40 Billion in cash reserves.
    Apple has become not only a lock-in company but a lock-out company as well. If there's not a benefit (i.e. crippling competitors access to chips) to their mobile market then this won't happen. On the other hand, it looks like Apple is trying to literally slow down the competition.

It's like me buying all the Holstein cows (black and white milk cows, the best for milking) and telling the rest of my competitors there are other cows available on the market, use them for milk. How long do you think it will take my competitors to catch up?