Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Dell Lightning: the ultimate Windows Phone 7 device leaks out -- Engadget

I know it is a leak, but this should be the next big win for palm
    I don't see Palm mentioned at all... ?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Sry, It all just hit me !!!
    That phone wouldn't interest me at all. Pre looks MUCH nicer.
    Really? Dell? A little late to the game methinks.
    good looking phone the os sucks though
    sweet!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    If dell buys palm then they could throw webos in there can't they?
    Need front facing camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    The OS isn't even out yet, how would you know that it sucks?
    that thing looks bulky, i'm not sold on how rectangle the phone looks with sharp edges.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    All those phones look pretty large, are we going back to the '80's in size? Just with big screens and fancy doohickeys?
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    that thing looks bulky, i'm not sold on how rectangle the phone looks with sharp edges.
    Was thinking the same thing this morning. Looked good at first but I'm not sure it would go in the pocket well.
    Considering you get a 4" screen you're only adding 5mm of width and 20mm of height. Still pocketable. Why? 2.05mm thinner. Sounds like a good trade off to me. I'll bet the build quality and keyboard will trounce the Pre. The whole keyboard area looks less cramped. And it looks far from bulky.
    Dell: 64.4mm x 121.6mm x 14.9mm
    Palm: 59.5mm x 100.5mm x 16.95mm

As for the OS. Android is pretty damn stable. Froyo should be the final release that brings the OS to a mature level (and hopefully with good IMAP support and full email integration). And as elegant and smooth webOS is, it doesn't mean squat on crap yesterday's hardware from a company with zero skill in the marketing department, subpar skill in phone design, and a whiner for a president who blames the Droid beating them to Verizon for their sales woes.

I love the elegance and robustness of webOS as much as the next guy, but the level of fanb0yism to other products is just lame. So many on this board clamor for a bigger screened phone for a gen 2 device, and not one person can give props to a slick and slim slider design with a 4" screen.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Considering you get a 4" screen you're only adding 5mm of width and 20mm of height. Still pocketable. Why? 2.05mm thinner. Sounds like a good trade off to me. I'll bet the build quality and keyboard will trounce the Pre. The whole keyboard area looks less cramped. And it looks far from bulky

Dell: 64.4mm x 121.6mm x 14.9mm
    Palm: 59.5mm x 100.5mm x 16.95mm

As for the OS. Android is pretty damn stable. Froyo should be the final release that brings the OS to a mature level (and hopefully with good IMAP support and full email integration). And as elegant and smooth webOS is, it doesn't mean squat on crap yesterday's hardware from a company with zero skill in the marketing department, subpar skill in phone design, and a whiner for a president who blames the Droid beating them to Verizon for their sales woes.

I love the elegance and robustness of webOS as much as the next guy, but the level of fanb0yism to other products is just lame. So many on this board clamor for a bigger screened phone for a gen 2 device, and not one person can give props to a slick and slim slider design with a 4" screen.
    as a pre owner, and lover of webOS... i could not agree more with you... The moment I saw those Dell phones I thought thats exactly what I want my next webOS phone to look like, just remove the icons from below the screen and make that the gesture area and BAM.. much more solid looking pre... I do not want a virtual keyboard (think about how webOS does copy, paste, select all etc)... that would be exactly the phone I want.
    ^ honest answer...

And for the 'bulky' complaints, the more roundness you have the more bezel you have which equates to bulk. Squareness (if that's a word) is more effecient in design as it maximizes screen real estate and minimizes bezel.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I'm agreed. I really like the large slider. I have love my pre (well all of the replacements) since release but still find my self wanting a larger screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Isn't the slider this thread was talking about running Windows 7, or did I miss something?
    I Pre with a nice large screen still with a great sliding out keyboard, still slim, and all the greatness of WebOS. It could be a winner.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocOx View Post
    Isn't the slider this thread was talking about running Windows 7, or did I miss something?
    Yes, there is an couple of android devices one is a qwerty candybar (like a Pixie but better) and another is touch-screen.

I mentioned this on another thread but I think this move kills dead the idea of Dell buying palm. Moreover, it shows the danger that palm is in, it's death by a thousand cuts because every big player is releasing both android and Windows 7 phones, so that pull attention away from Palm's offering (such as they are).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast